Incoming Hot Fix - 24/05/2013 (Updated!)

436 replies to this topic

#161 Agamemnon78

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 257 posts
  • Locationgermany

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:57 AM

theres nothing balanced with a LRM-system consisting of:

smart-munitions, hitting targets behind cover and enough lock-on and target-gadgets to fill the whole evening.
LRM needed their rightous place back in the arsenal, not a "if you wanna win, make sure to mount 2 LRM 15, buddy"-patch.
Trajectory-correction may do some good on that, I hope.

We play a game based on piloting and shooting-skill.
That means
knowing when to fire which weapon,
knowing when to go to certain areas of the map,
knowing how to manoever your badass-bipedal-pile-of-shootaz
knowing when not to shoot,

Everybody who declares fullhearted that only those complain about the actual LRM-development, who CAN NOT PLAY AND WIN should reflect a little bit more over the basics of MW:O, that is diversity in mech-variants, weapons, fighting-styles and tactics.

The only good thing about the last patch was the virtual extinction of those ridiculous ppc-poptarts.

Every patch that FORCES certain behavior if one wants to win a match, spoils the game.
Think about the battles to come, when factions fight for planets and so on. What do you think will happen, when the 90%-winning chance is to play 1-3 mechvariants and using 1-2 OP-Weapons in combination with some gadgets like JJ, ECM or whatsoever:
MW:O will die in a couple of months with a dozen of cheezbuild-player-clans rubbing their hands over the conquest of the Inner sphere.

#162 Shredhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationLeipzig, Germany

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

View PostDude42, on 24 May 2013 - 07:42 AM, said:

Sorry if I don't believe that was enough to make them useful. All we got Tuesday was a 20% damage and speed increase. Well, I've got news for you, every other weapon in the game(except MG and Flamer) is more than 20% better than an LRM per ton.

And what makes you demand a weapon for lazy people that doesn't need the least bit of skill should be as effective as weapons you have to expose yourself, need aimskill and proper (heat) management?
So you can pack all LURMs and hang back, never expose yourself to enemy fire, don't even need to aim and let those 1 or 2 pathetic lights do all the work for you?

#163 Commander Kobold

• The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

View Postz3a1ot, on 24 May 2013 - 07:52 AM, said:

LRMs were buged because splash damage converted on CT, it was way to easy to core a mech like this. They are not nerfed they are fixed. You still got speed increase and damage per missile increase now splash damage will be spread like it was supposed to. Deal with it.

You don't seem to understand, the damage increase will not be as effective anymore because the dmg won't spread as much anymore all this fix really does is nerf people who aren't boating as many missiles as possible

#164 TheSteelRhino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 600 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:04 AM

View Postarghmace, on 24 May 2013 - 07:21 AM, said:

If the hot fix goes as said in the first post, then all we get is nerfs without any buffs to balance it. Since I felt that the LRM's have been balanced in the last few days, simple logic says that after nerf they won't be as balanced. No need to test it.

I do agree with everyone that the arc was too steep and splash to CT was bad. But this effectively balanced out the fact that their base damage was still too low and their homing capabilities too poor (still hitting moving mechs in their heels). So changing them was needed, true, but the nerfs should've been balanced out by buffs to keep them in line.

But as said before, this is a minor issue compared to the now completely useless SRM's. Best focus on their balancing next.

Correct. But you are basing your assumption that there will be no more damage adjustments. PGI themselves says they constantly balance things. You even agreed the arc is to steep. Try it and see. Maybe it will be better than you think. If you still feel the same, then by all means Speak up. We may not agree, but give them a chance?

Once they work on JJ's, get State rewind complete, and put in heat penalities for boating, that should be MOST of the current big issues (other than missing features of course).

SRM's do need some love. Next patch they have said the pattern is getting tightened.

Then they should be REALLY able to balance.

Right now, they are trying to balance things with a broken scale on a crooked table.

Edited by Rhinehardt Ritter, 24 May 2013 - 08:05 AM.

#165 arghmace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:04 AM

View PostAgamemnon78, on 24 May 2013 - 07:57 AM, said:

Every patch that FORCES certain behavior if one wants to win a match, spoils the game.

This forcing has never taken effect. It just seems that most in MWO community are prone to mass hysteria and copying each others. I've never used pop tarts and still my W/D ratio is very good. Yesterday I wasn't forced to using LRM's, instead our 4 man group played a Commando, a Raven and 2 Jenners, all with brawl weapons. And we won 100% of our battles. Any man that actually uses his brains and creativity instead of going with the flavour of the month will do just fine - and make the battles more fun for the whole community for the variance provided. I pretty much hate people that run the exact same mechs that most do.

#166 Dude42

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:05 AM

I also wonder why poptarts and humpers got special treatment, in that they were allowed to reign supreme for months on end, with no "hotfix" 3 days later nerfing them into oblivion. LRMs weren't even OP if you had 2 braincells to rub together. I'm thinking the devs like to poptart.

View PostShredhead, on 24 May 2013 - 08:02 AM, said:

And what makes you demand a weapon for lazy people that doesn't need the least bit of skill should be as effective as weapons you have to expose yourself, need aimskill and proper (heat) management?
So you can pack all LURMs and hang back, never expose yourself to enemy fire, don't even need to aim and let those 1 or 2 pathetic lights do all the work for you?

Point-Click-Win-Poptart4Lyfe

If dropping down behind a building or sliding down a mountain because you're overheated is "heat management", maybe. Also, with the speed of certain projectiles + HSR, the "aimskill" requires about as much skill as double-clicking the MW:O icon to launch the game. Half as much actually, because you have to click twice to launch the game, whereas you only have to click once to alpha strike.

Edited by Dude42, 24 May 2013 - 08:09 AM.

#167 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:07 AM

View PostDude42, on 24 May 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

I also wonder why poptarts and humpers got special treatment, in that they were allowed to reign supreme for months on end, with no "hotfix" 3 days later nerfing them into oblivion. LRMs weren't even OP if you had 2 braincells to rub together. I'm thinking the devs like to poptart.

Point-Click-Win-Poptart4Lyfe

It isn't they were getting special treatment--it is LRMs are broken at the moment due to a bug in the intended way they should work. They shouldn't be always damaging the CT like they are. THAT plus the firing arc are broken and not "working as intended."

As for sniping, as much as I hate it along with everyone else, we can only assume it was "working as intended."

#168 Commander Kobold

• The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

View PostShredhead, on 24 May 2013 - 08:02 AM, said:

I'm sorry your poptart/(whatever you run) has to expose it self for 0.5 seconds to click the mouse once. You have enough methods available to counter/lessen the effects of missiles and I've never had a light mech (or any other mech) complain about me assisting them in taking down a target not all LRM users sit at the edge of the map firing from behind cover.

#169 LaserAngel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 889 posts

I was pleasantly amused to see so many Stalker 5S out.

#170 DeaconW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 976 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:08 AM

View PostOmni 13, on 24 May 2013 - 07:48 AM, said:

If the devs saying damn near exactly (the only more specific they could be would be if they posted exact numbers) what they're doing isn't proof enough for you then the problem is you and the LRMs weren't "over buffed" they just didn't fix the LRM splash bug... it only looks like they where over buffed because they upped the dmg without fixing the splash bug.

I am glad you are so smart that you know exactly how a change in game mechanics will play out before the patch is relased...PGI should hire you!

#171 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:09 AM

View PostAgamemnon78, on 24 May 2013 - 07:57 AM, said:

theres nothing balanced with a LRM-system consisting of:

smart-munitions, hitting targets behind cover and enough lock-on and target-gadgets to fill the whole evening.
LRM needed their rightous place back in the arsenal, not a "if you wanna win, make sure to mount 2 LRM 15, buddy"-patch.
Trajectory-correction may do some good on that, I hope.

We play a game based on piloting and shooting-skill.
That means
knowing when to fire which weapon,
knowing when to go to certain areas of the map,
knowing how to manoever your badass-bipedal-pile-of-shootaz
knowing when not to shoot,

So, why should I take LRMs when direct fire works so much better? There is a balance, and I have never seen it yet in MWO. However, we'll see how it goes.

Normally in MWO I would say you were insane to bother with LRMs at all. They do timid damage, require 4-5 seconds of reticle contact, after locking to maintain the lock during flight, and are easily evaded. It just seems like MWO's LRMs were meant to fail

#172 Commander Kobold

• The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:10 AM

View PostRhinehardt Ritter, on 24 May 2013 - 08:04 AM, said:

and put in heat penalities for boating,

They're going with a heat penalty to counter boating? That doesn't sound like it's going to fix much unless they add an actual penalty to over heating.

#173 arghmace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:11 AM

View PostLaserAngel, on 24 May 2013 - 08:07 AM, said:

I was pleasantly amused to see so many Stalker 5S out.

This here is actually the main problem. A single LRM launcher is not very good in ratio to it's tonnage - especially with AMS. The mechs that allow boating of LRM's are the problem. Now let's see. Stalker 5S has 10, 10, 6 and 6 tubes. What the heck? It doesn't even look like a proper LRM15/LRM20 carrier. One good fix would be to increase the time between volleys when you don't have enough launch tubes. That would weaken these stupid Stalker boats alot.

#174 DeaconW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 976 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

View Postarghmace, on 24 May 2013 - 08:04 AM, said:

This forcing has never taken effect. It just seems that most in MWO community are prone to mass hysteria and copying each others.

Hard to describe how ironic it is that you contradicted yourself in only two sentences...normally people will at least put a distractor sentence in between...

#175 Commander Kobold

• The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:16 AM

View PostDeaconW, on 24 May 2013 - 08:08 AM, said:

I am glad you are so smart that you know exactly how a change in game mechanics will play out before the patch is relased...PGI should hire you!

It doesn't take a genius to look at patch notes and see what's going to happen (especially given PGI's track record especially when it involves LRMs)

View Postarghmace, on 24 May 2013 - 08:11 AM, said:

This here is actually the main problem. A single LRM launcher is not very good in ratio to it's tonnage - especially with AMS. The mechs that allow boating of LRM's are the problem. Now let's see. Stalker 5S has 10, 10, 6 and 6 tubes. What the heck? It doesn't even look like a proper LRM15/LRM20 carrier. One good fix would be to increase the time between volleys when you don't have enough launch tubes. That would weaken these stupid Stalker boats alot.

a better fix would be to make LRMs spread out more the more missiles you fire at the target, thus slightly penalising boats without castrating mechs with 1-2 launchers

#176 DeaconW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 976 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:17 AM

View PostOmni 13, on 24 May 2013 - 08:16 AM, said:

It doesn't take a genius to look at patch notes and see what's going to happen (especially given PGI's track record especially when it involves LRMs)

a better fix would be to make LRMs spread out more the more missiles you fire at the target, thus slightly penalising boats without castrating mechs with 1-2 launchers

Posted Image

Oh Please, Almighty Carnac...please tell us exactly how this patch will affect gameplay!

Edited by DeaconW, 24 May 2013 - 08:18 AM.

#177 arghmace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:17 AM

View PostDeaconW, on 24 May 2013 - 08:13 AM, said:

Hard to describe how ironic it is that you contradicted yourself in only two sentences...normally people will at least put a distractor sentence in between...

What? Just because stupid lambs copy each others doesn't mean the game mechanics force you to play with certain builds. I just provided an example of how our team won 100% of our battles with non-LRM-mechs. So saying that the last patch forced everyone to use LRM's if they wanna win is just plain false.

#178 Commander Kobold

• The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:18 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 24 May 2013 - 08:07 AM, said:

As for sniping, as much as I hate it along with everyone else, we can only assume it was "working as intended."

I don't hate snipers I just wished they weren't the end all beat all way to play, I'd rather everything be valid in its own right (and I know not every match is full of snipers/poptarts but I do wish the other play styles ,lrm support, brawling, playing a medium, where a little more common)

#179 Dude42

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:18 AM

Once upon a time, after a slight buff to LRMs, PGI looked over and saw a little baby poptart. Tears were streaming down his face, he was sucking his thumb, stomping his feet, and pointing at the smoldering wreckage of his poptart, sniffling "The m-m-missiles h-h-hit me after I f-f-fell doooown". PGI felt pity on the poor poptart child and decided to destroy missiles for him, so he wouldn't have to feel bad any more. The End.

Edited by Dude42, 24 May 2013 - 08:21 AM.

#180 Commander Kobold

• The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:19 AM

View PostDeaconW, on 24 May 2013 - 08:17 AM, said:

Posted Image

Oh Please, Almighty Carnac...please tell us exactly how this patch will affect gameplay!

can you not read?

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users