123 replies to this topic

#21 Tsula

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 516 posts
  • LocationNew Alavon

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:09 PM

I love piloting Light or faster moving Mediums mechs, Nothing says loving like a blast to the back armor, because I can out maneuver, and out run you any day. Granted I know I can my *** handed to me if your big weapons hit me.

Edited by tsula, 08 November 2011 - 02:10 PM.

#22 TheForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:10 PM

View PostCyttorak, on 08 November 2011 - 01:53 PM, said:

At any rate, I was trying to justify why anyone would take a light mech in a stand-up fight...the kind of place where normally you would only see assaults. Lights are obviously useful in other types of missions, but the devs are going to need to provide a purpose for them in the SUFs.

How about engaging heavies/assaults with hit and run style tactics?

#23 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:11 PM

View PostCyttorak, on 08 November 2011 - 02:03 PM, said:

Yes, but how about some suggestions for the devs to make lights relevant? That's the purpose of this thread.

Threads tend to get derailed rather fast.

But to give some input, certain types of light mechs have to be in the game to be usefull.
The Raven for instance is probably the best suited mech for information warfare whereas a Locust would be used for scouting.

So the Devs would really need to plow through the TRO's to get a good picture of how the light mechs can be implemented best.

#24 Tsula

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 516 posts
  • LocationNew Alavon

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:12 PM

View PostCyttorak, on 08 November 2011 - 02:08 PM, said:

That brings up another point: if you want to encourage more people to use lights, how about just increasing their XP gain rate?
Then, you can have most people start in lights and work their way up...just like happens in the fictional universe.

Unless your name is Surname happens to be Davion- Steiner then you get a Victor and later on a Dire Wolf.

#25 DToad

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:12 PM

I have no idea what the devs are planning, but I can envision a scenario in which the entire lance would have access to the light mechs radar information, preferably superimposed on the main tactical map. Combine that with ecm that covers an area and not just a single mech, and a light mech would be almost essential.
I used to love narc spotting in a raven. It was fun to sneak in close enough, tag them with a narc, and run like heck while looking back to see a heavy get rocked by a couple dozen lrms. It was the best of both worlds. I would like to see more of that. I would also like to see some kind of tagging device like a narc, but instead of guiding missiles it would last longer and just send out its location info (like gps) to the entire lance.

Edited by DToad, 08 November 2011 - 02:16 PM.

#26 Cyttorak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationAlbany, OR, USA

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:14 PM

How about BAP can detect the patterns of comm traffic that id which enemy is the commander?
Then, you can tell your lancemates and start headhunting!

#27 Creel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:15 PM

View Posttsula, on 08 November 2011 - 02:12 PM, said:

Unless your name is Surname happens to be Davion- Steiner then you get a Victor and later on a Dire Wolf.

*Steiner-Davion* :)

The devs have mentioned building fire support and air strikes into the basic gameplay. Lights shine as forward artillery spotters.

C3 systems would also be seriously fun but, they're rarely used outside of Comstar and DCMS.

Edited by Creel, 08 November 2011 - 02:16 PM.

#28 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:16 PM

This of course implies that all fights are stand-up fights, or indeed that lights have no role.

Three guesses who maps out and gets locations on all the bad guys fastest so your commander can call down the support strikes. Or finds where the items you want are hidden fastest.

No, light 'Mechs aren't meant for stand-up fights. They're meant to get around fast, find things, and get recon data to the bigger guys who can't do it in a timely manner. That's what MWO needs to keep in mind.

#29 shadowwolf jerricho

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 292 posts
  • LocationKHSA Coyote Remembered

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:17 PM

As a battlefield commander from MW4 days, I have had my scout mechs take down Hvy/Assault mechs. Effective scout mechs are always needed on a battlefield. With quality machines and pilots, scout mechs can turn the tide of a battle. Heres to hoping the balance is well thought out and executed to ensure that light mechs will have thier rightful place on the field. I do not ever drive them but I have had my *** kicked by them in Med or Heavies. <S> Ace of Spades just to name one of the best light pilots I have ever fought against and beside. That should boost his ego even higher.....damnit

#30 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 541 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:18 PM

well I imagining dev will follow the tradition of the series and everybody will start with light mech and work their way to the heavyweight, but still most ppl seems to forget that even the attlas or the annihilator as powerfull as they are they are super slow and lack the agility and speed of the light mech, as in MW4:M things get a ot worse if a leg gets destroyed (you start limping) smart use of the terrain also help, urban setting is hell for heavy mechs.

so i like to thnik there is still room in MWO for light mech other than as starters mech even if it isnt easy,I would eve like to see the option to use elemental armors but I think that wishing too much, who knows.

#31 Riptor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:18 PM

Guys remember the mechwarrior 5 trailer where the warhammer used a drone to scan the suroundings and find the enemy?

I think light mechs will get a ton of new toys to make them better scouts and shine in their role.

#32 guardiandashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:20 PM

another thing that could allow for massive force multipliers for lights is get a friendly or 3 to be packing arrow IV systems.. nothing more fun than "TAG"

You're dead

#33 Riptor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:21 PM

I dont think arrows where allready around during that time period the game is set in?

#34 Cyttorak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:22 PM

View Postwanderer, on 08 November 2011 - 02:16 PM, said:

*snip*...No, light 'Mechs aren't meant for stand-up fights. They're meant to get around fast, find things, and get recon data to the bigger guys who can't do it in a timely manner. That's what MWO needs to keep in mind.

I assume a large portion (50%?) of missions played will be SUF...I'm not willing to say that lights aren't meant for SUFs. I want to find creative ways to use them to give your team a REAL, measurable advantage over someone that doesn't use them. Then, there's a real reason to include them in the fight.

#35 Creel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

View Postsimon1812, on 08 November 2011 - 02:18 PM, said:

well I imagining dev will follow the tradition of the series and everybody will start with light mech and work their way to the heavyweight, but still most ppl seems to forget that even the attlas or the annihilator as powerfull as they are they are super slow and lack the agility and speed of the light mech, as in MW4:M things get a ot worse if a leg gets destroyed (you start limping) smart use of the terrain also help, urban setting is hell for heavy mechs.

so i like to thnik there is still room in MWO for light mech other than as starters mech even if it isnt easy,I would eve like to see the option to use elemental armors but I think that wishing too much, who knows.

They've indicated that this will not be the case. It sounds like they want all of the available roles to be available immediately to new players.

#36 Tsula

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 516 posts
  • LocationNew Alavon

I Would love to see how ECM could effect things but there are so many work around that now out side comms and be used to over come that ie vent or Team speak,. but it might limit what the commander role can do form reading the DevBlog#0 seems commander can call in air strikes and Artillery. So maybe a light might hiding with its ECM on can limit the commander options for his side, and if a air strike is really needed well then it might now come if the commander can't call it in. Same can be said if a BAP is running they might be able to pick up mech hiding and can relay that info to commander, also can see maybe a C3 system working there as well as TAG a target for Air Strike or Artillery mainly Arrow IV homing, or indirect fire support spotter. Possible for NARC and possibly just for a faint run at something get the attention of the other side and hit some place else. I would pilot a light mech, to med mech for those reason but I like to pilot them as well anyway.

#37 guardiandashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:23 PM

arrow IV catapult varient from TRO 3050
yes its a stupid config 15 shs and only 1 ton of ammo for the arrow IV system ... buts its there

#38 Cyttorak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:23 PM

View PostRiptor, on 08 November 2011 - 02:21 PM, said:

I dont think arrows where allready around during that time period the game is set in?

Arrow IV recovered by CC in 3044, so yes, they're around.
Of course, there's always sniper- and thumper-artillery...which is usually off-map anyway.

Edited by Cyttorak, 08 November 2011 - 02:26 PM.

#39 Tsula

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 516 posts
  • LocationNew Alavon

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:25 PM

View PostCreel, on 08 November 2011 - 02:15 PM, said:

*Steiner-Davion* :)

The devs have mentioned building fire support and air strikes into the basic gameplay. Lights shine as forward artillery spotters.

C3 systems would also be seriously fun but, they're rarely used outside of Comstar and DCMS.

Wouldn't ya know someone cought my error lol. :D But you are correct and I came back to edit and you got me lol.

#40 HardDrive

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 156 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:25 PM

The last time I played any BT Game was MPBT Solaris And I would normally always Choose A Jenner or a Jav, very few people could actually hit me as I ran circles around them and pecked away at their weak spots till I took out their engines. I can only hope that they implement that kind of strat in MWO as well. i thought that was a brilliant thing to implement in the game!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users