The Canon vs our game play

4 replies to this topic

#1 BoydofZINJ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 320 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:58 AM

I am not sure if this was mentioned some place or not. I am thinking about the game canon (The game history in how the source materials and novels played out and not a cannon shooting stuff - ha ha). Can we change the universe in how we play and what we do?

I posted some of this in a different thread and it got me thinking:

I have been thinking. WHAT IF, we are not playing the normal (prime) universe and we are playing an alternate universe. WHAT IF, at the start of the game - we can slowly change and alter the universe to the way we see fit? The clanners may not attack at the same spot? We may be able to stop the clanner more effectively than the normal canon troops? What if the clanners are stopped at only a handful of worlds? The Nova Cats and the Ghost Bear (as well as all other clans) would change, no?

WHAT IF, before the attack, the Federated Suns players decide to attacked Steiner worlds?

Is this addressed already? I have been looking for it... but not sure. I am curious to see if we can effectively change the universe. WHAT IF, the Draconis Combine and the Federated Suns become allies versus the Suns and Steiners, for example?

How much of our game play will matter and how much will be scripted? Will the clanners always attack at the same spots? WHAT IF, they attacked Liao, the Federated Suns, and the Draconis Combine? Or WHAT IF, they attacked all 5 major powers at the same time?

Edited by Boydsan, 07 June 2012 - 06:03 AM.

#2 Scimitar

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Victoria, Australia

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:19 AM

The universe cannon has already been adressed regarding this, players wont have any direct control over plot specific worlds or factions. For example all the major mech coprs will still exist in universe but they wont be player controlled, if you can can still be members in them though hasn't been covered though. As for the universe at large, player made faction will be able to capture control of non-cannon plot critical worlds. The devs also have said as the game progresses some world will become locked and unlocked as needed ao universe time line advances correctly. The time line ingame plot wise will match the real world on a 1:1 time scale, so for every day in the real world the universe will also progress one day. The plot will follow the established universe timeline and can't be changed in any significant fashion, that being said though we will be building around that time line fleshing out the universe that little bit more.

Hopefully this clears it up a little.

Edited by Scimitar, 07 June 2012 - 06:20 AM.

#3 Rodney28021

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationRural Western North Carolina

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:40 PM

Well said, Scimitar.

#4 Logahmmed

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:53 PM

I think it's a mistake to force the game into following the canon. Particularly when a major component of the game is planetary conquest. Take the Free Worlds League for example: compared to the rest of the Inner Sphere, their conquests were relatively light. If they take a big chunk out of the Lyran Commonwealth, you've already "violated" canon.

Keeping the results of historical battles static takes away the possibility of players affecting change on the map for their given faction. For example, in the Clan Invasion, the Free Rasalhague Republic got nearly obliterated and ultimately became a vassal of ComStar (later they merge with Clan Ghost Bear, but with time being played at 1:1, we'll all be in real 'Mechs by the time that'd happen). Why would players want to even be apart of that faction if that part of history can't be changed? Why fight for that territory when you know Clans are going to roll you over?

It renders competition moot, and also lowers the stakes. If you take a territory, it should mean something. If the FWL manages to burn toward Tharkad, players should be able to take it, and the Lyrans should be worried. Making it just color-coded dots on a screen just means over time we'll be fighting 'Mech battles for its own sake, and outside leagues are going to do it right. Considering how sophisticated planetary-based leagues were all the way back in MW3, these days there'll be someone who can create a league where territorial conquest matters, and the player base will flock to it and simply use MWO as a means of resolving the battle.

I simply don't see the benefit of having canon locked, of having worlds locked. Making certain worlds incredibly difficult to conquer, absolutely -- even nearly impossible in the case of capital planets. But if one faction is just pounding another, and they are able to fight up to a locked planet? Why can't they take it? Haven't they earned it?

What happens if the Inner Sphere loses the Battle of Tukayyid? The Clans keep coming and the Inner Sphere has to fight them back. What if Clan Wolf went into the Invasion as a Crusader clan? Isn't that far more interesting to explore than what we already know? If we're locked in canon, and we're locked in 1:1 time (the latter of which I'm not against), then we now know what the general map is going to look like for the entirety of this product's cycle.

Why?

The 'Mech battles are what get people here, and are what keep much of the rank and file players around. But for the hardcore, those who know the BattleTech canon inside and out -- it's the politics that intrigue us. Yes, fighting battles is at its crux, but knowing that the planet you're fighting for is going to give your faction a huge boost in the war? That enriches enjoyment of the game. Allowing a council of top players in each faction to decide who/where to attack? That's going to create some intrigue.

The canon is so overwhelmingly rich that even if players end up rendering one historical conflict moot, don't worry, there's a dozen others that can be fought. Locking us down doesn't protect the game - it restricts it. Players want to be in control of their own destiny -- let them.

Edited by Logahmmed, 11 June 2012 - 02:57 PM.

#5 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:46 PM

The game is about 12-player teams fighting on the periphery of, and having no impact on, the major Canon events. You want alternate timelines that allow you to effect outcomes? Create a viable Planetary League.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users