• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:04 PM

I go with Gauss, because I get
- more ammo per ton,
- increasing my max dmg potential
4 tons of Ac20 ammo = 28 rounds x 20 dmg = 560
4 tons of gauss ammo = 40 rounds x 15 dmg = 600
- my range is drastically increased as well, so that I can fight from further.

p.s more ammo, also means I don't have to ever so careful before I decide to discharge a round. You can waste some of it on suppression.

#42 heleqin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:47 PM

View PostLoboSG, on 09 June 2013 - 07:04 PM, said:

I go with Gauss, because I get
- more ammo per ton,
- increasing my max dmg potential
4 tons of Ac20 ammo = 28 rounds x 20 dmg = 560
4 tons of gauss ammo = 40 rounds x 15 dmg = 600
- my range is drastically increased as well, so that I can fight from further.

p.s more ammo, also means I don't have to ever so careful before I decide to discharge a round. You can waste some of it on suppression.

this is all true, but with the caveat that the Gauss weighs a ton more, giving the AC20 an extra ton of ammo for the same overall tonnage, so the margin is a lot closer than you think

#43 Sh4dow78

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 234 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:40 AM

@UP

i dont like gauss, AC20 have better "punch" weight less, 4 tons of ammo is more than enough IMO up to ~400m it has same dmg as gauss but it have 18 hp not 3 so it will last longer and AC20 have this nice sound when u shoot ;)

for me AC20>Gauss, and Yen Lo Wang its not that good for me its not a problem to loose this arm really fast and then u are no threat...

#44 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:29 AM

And as an old school TT guy, the gauss is 'cheating'. There'll always be a part of me that wished that they stopped at 3025 tech.

#45 WildeKarde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:42 PM

I've really enjoyed playing with my wang and the hero mech is pretty good as well :rolleyes:

It's a fun mech to play and you have to get used to it's strengths, you pick at the enemy with the AC20 and help mop up damaged mech. You are going to suffer if you're first into the melee in the middle.

It's also my highest KDR mech as well. Think it was at 5.0 last I looked but that could all go after a few more games

#46 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:15 PM

Not anymore. It's definitely sub-standard, but not quite as bad as the Death's Knell or Fang.. usable but not very good.

You're better off with a Heavy Metal, Ilya, Misery or maybe a Firebrand.

#47 J I N

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:45 AM

Hey guys,
I got my third Cent on Elite now. and I have to say that they are very nice.
I am playing with this CN9-D as my favorite and for me it seems to be a better damagedealer than an YLW with AC20. On the other hand I am sure, that I will buy the YLW, if there is a sale in the next months, because I could use the same loadout as in my D with the boosts of a heromech. :)

Thanks for your advice!

#48 ZeProme

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:22 PM

IMO, quite worth the price especially when discounted.

I have to thank my YLW for teaching me how to play effectively as a medium mech. It taught me how to protect my ballistic arm by spreading damage all over itself, be timely and opportunistic and aim carefully with 28 AC/20 ammo.

It's really fun to go zombie mode. I practically had a match where I lost all my arms and one of the torsos but I still lived and dealt a lot of damage.

Posted Image

#49 LoboSG

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:26 PM

View Postheleqin, on 09 June 2013 - 09:47 PM, said:

this is all true, but with the caveat that the Gauss weighs a ton more, giving the AC20 an extra ton of ammo for the same overall tonnage, so the margin is a lot closer than you think

The problem with that... is that I have used up all the slots already. I don't have slot to put 1 more Ac20 ammo..

#50 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:59 AM

View PostLoboSG, on 20 June 2013 - 08:26 PM, said:

The problem with that... is that I have used up all the slots already. I don't have slot to put 1 more Ac20 ammo..

so your taking a mech that losses movement in an arm in order to use weapons taking up lots of crit slots, then putting in a guass that fits in any variant ;)

#51 LoboSG

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:30 PM

View PostJust wanna play, on 27 June 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

so your taking a mech that losses movement in an arm in order to use weapons taking up lots of crit slots, then putting in a guass that fits in any variant :rolleyes:

Nope. I am taking a mech that after putting in an XL300 engine, endo steel and 2 ml, leaves me just enough space for guass with 40 rounds of ammo. Just because it can fit an AC20 doesn't mean I have to, coz it would mean losing either speed or backup pew pew, AND have to engage in closer range combat at all times in a somewhat fragile mech.

#52 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

I guess the point is that you could have done the same with the Cent-D, and then you'd gain full arm movement, and missile hardpoints too.

#53 ZeProme

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:39 PM

Well, this thread got bumped.

Hold on, I got some better scores achieved in my YLW.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Honestly, it really comes down to whether or not you love the centurions. Because the YLW's main firepower is in the right arm which is prone to be blown up, it proves to be challenging to keep your right arm intact.

However, if you love torso twisting, having a giant gun with 85km/h+ and the ability to zombie-mode this mech is for you. It ain't easy to grasp but after some practice you can experience the potential of this mech.

For instance, when turning around a corner, I keep my left armor at the threat anticipating an early hit. At times when there is a brawl happening, I learned to shield my right arm while weaving through enemies. If the enemies are at my left, I keep my left arm to it. If the enemies are to my right, same thing.

IMHO, it's a very fun mech. It's a blessing to have a giant AC/20 gun but at the same time you have to be up at your heels if you want to protect your right arm. I go as far as protecting my AC/20 gun with my entire mech body.

Edited by ZeProme, 27 June 2013 - 06:41 PM.

#54 Dr B00t

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 496 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:39 PM

i bought the wang on a 30% off sale...i suggest the same to you...i actually run mine w/ the gauss 2ml like you said...works pretty good...the biggest problem w/ the wang is its serious lack of hardpoints...but it is really good at zombie play...a lot of times they will blow off my arm and for some reason ignore me the rest of the match...

those 2ml can actually rack up decent damage if you arent being targetted...i think most damage i did w/ it so far is like 700...seem to run outta ammo

#55 LoboSG

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:58 PM

View PostDr B00t, on 27 June 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

i bought the wang on a 30% off sale...i suggest the same to you...i actually run mine w/ the gauss 2ml like you said...works pretty good...the biggest problem w/ the wang is its serious lack of hardpoints...but it is really good at zombie play...a lot of times they will blow off my arm and for some reason ignore me the rest of the match...

those 2ml can actually rack up decent damage if you arent being targetted...i think most damage i did w/ it so far is like 700...seem to run outta ammo

Yep, got mine during that sale also. Mostly, I use it for churning some c-bill change. Since I am using the XL300 from CND, I ain't ever going into zombie mode.

The only other problem with a short range ac20 is, if it turns into a snipe/lrm fest... it's going to get boring real quick.

#56 POOTYTANGASAUR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 595 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:03 PM

The yen lo is amazing run an xl300 and you have the speed of a light and the brawling ability of a cent. I have broken 1000 in it quite a few times.

#57 ZeProme

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:04 PM

View PostLoboSG, on 27 June 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

Yep, got mine during that sale also. Mostly, I use it for churning some c-bill change. Since I am using the XL300 from CND, I ain't ever going into zombie mode.

The only other problem with a short range ac20 is, if it turns into a snipe/lrm fest... it's going to get boring real quick.

Dude, I think you are missing out. Zombie mode is a lot of fun and I find the STD 245's mobility is enough to get me from place to place.

Here's my loadout: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b27e935f212f925

#58 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:10 PM

View PostLoboSG, on 27 June 2013 - 06:30 PM, said:

Nope. I am taking a mech that after putting in an XL300 engine, endo steel and 2 ml, leaves me just enough space for guass with 40 rounds of ammo. Just because it can fit an AC20 doesn't mean I have to, coz it would mean losing either speed or backup pew pew, AND have to engage in closer range combat at all times in a somewhat fragile mech.

centurion?? fragile?? *notices he said xl* okay theres the problem right there, especially with the cents damage transfer issue
http://mwomercs.com/...age-allocation/
idk if its true but you really cant complain about your mech being to fragile for brawling when YOUR MAKING IT FRAGILE, some one in this thread also points out why xls are silly in a mech with such large side torsos, i think on last page
std engine makes this truee (if crits are the problem and xls causing that problem) vvv

View PostBuckminster, on 27 June 2013 - 06:35 PM, said:

I guess the point is that you could have done the same with the Cent-D, and then you'd gain full arm movement, and missile hardpoints too.

wait :rolleyes:
this makes me think your just insane
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...762ebef7556a458
so again, using a mech that sacrifices actuators to do certain builds then you go and dont even do those builds while making sacrifices in other areas,ignoring point of mech

also side note of yen lo wang is it can mount bigger engines then the a and al in case you want

View PostZeProme, on 27 June 2013 - 07:04 PM, said:

Dude, I think you are missing out. Zombie mode is a lot of fun and I find the STD 245's mobility is enough to get me from place to place.

Here's my loadout: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b27e935f212f925

a centurion that cant zombie isnt a centurion, and why not take a lil bit of armor off to get in a 250?? will be faster and run cooler, just saying....
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d1abbd9c50d03db

imma tweaker, can ya blame me??

#59 Flashback37

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:35 PM

I use an XL300 in my YLW always. At 106 kph it's a light on steroids!
I'm not a particularly good pilot so my best match w/ YLW is I think 5 kills, 2 assists and 866 damage. I've seen it do much better.

#60 LordDante

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 782 posts
  • Locationmy Wang is aiming at ur rear... torso

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:19 AM

the wang in the right hands ( in mine ) is a beast ! i teaches u everything about this game. and its 100% cheese free !

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users