Brainstorming: What happens to you during a match after you die?

54 replies to this topic

#1 Myraeri

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:20 PM

There seem to be a lot of advocates for a single mech per match/mission game mode. In a single player setting this is fine. Game over, load the game and try again. But in a multiplayer setting you would be sitting around waiting for the match to end. While some may see this as an acceptable punishment for being so careless, the problem is that waiting patiently for the match to end while staring at the ruins of your favorite mech just isn't fun.

The question for discussion is:

What can be implemented to improve this post-death experience?

> Spectator mode
Watch how the match unfolds from the eyes of other players! However with the supposed emphasis on information warfare, ghosting from a spectator mode could be game-breaking.

> Option to leave and join new match with no penalty*
You die, you move on. A way for you to return to the action without ruining the 1 life mechanic of the current match. Discourages team play since you wouldn't have any attachment to the current match.

> Respawn with no penalty*
Return to the action! But breaks immersion and has tactical implications.

Post alternative ideas/features or discuss the benefits/disadvantages of purposed ideas below

* No penalty in terms of time for the player, assume for the purposes of this discussion the player has purchased multiple identical mechs with identical loadouts and leave the persistent mech discussion to other topics please

#2 gregsolidus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:23 PM

Respawning would be nice,waiting for a match to end wasn't all that fun in Chromehounds.

#3 TheForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:24 PM

for no respawn games, chase camera on your team members only

the devs will include respawn and no respawn options to please everyone.

Edited by theforce, 08 November 2011 - 02:24 PM.

#4 Sevari

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSpringfield IL

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:35 PM

I think it would depend on the overall style/type of game being offered. If its just one of those 'slugfest' types, then 5sec respawn or something to that effect. A game for 'campaign' or 'points' or a war of the different clans for control of a battlefield/planet, the no respawn just chase/follow cameras. Unless there is to be someway for 'commanders' to earn something like resupply points based off of kills/objectives and after so many they could 'spawn' a replacement Mech based on the points he had to spend? Just some thoughts.

#5 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:36 PM

No spawn please, you'll have to sit out the match and watch from your teammates POV.

#6 Caballo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 416 posts
  • Location"Mechs are mobile war machines. You're either moving, or you're dead"

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:38 PM

I prefer no respawn at all until the end of the round.

From my point of view, you are a part of a unit. If you make the mistake of engaging the NME by yourself solely, you're done, so your battlemech exploded, so you're dead or ejected (it would be nice to give some bonus for capturing mechwarriors for each side, so penalty for the side who's mechwarriors tend to die instead of ejecting), but you're dead or ejected for the whole rest of that round.

Edited by Caballo, 08 November 2011 - 02:44 PM.

#7 IntruderAlert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:38 PM

When they die Force them to listen to this:

#8 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 553 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:50 PM

yeah i dont like the sound of the whole "U died! so now u get to wait till the match is over" though I can apreciate the practicallity of it, because I think respawning will totally dilute the need of an actual strategy and team work -we r all clear this is not a FPS this is not battlefield3 or MW3 or whatever- if fallem players start respawing it will be all about joining the battle fast ganging up on the nearest lone enemy that is praying for his teamates to respawn too. not sure if that would be the case but it feels like it would be.

#9 Myraeri

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:50 PM

While a team only spectator mode is pretty much an accepted industry standard for this type of gameplay, watching other people play can get stale quickly, especially if they employ boring tactics such as camping. I think there are far more engaging options even if you can't pilot a mech again until the current match ends. For example, being able to return to the mech lab and adjust and tweak the remainder of your units, checking the weapon/chassis market, etc. Basically allow you to do what you would normally do between matches, but allow you to access it immediately after you die.

#10 Risen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 192 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:00 PM

Respawning would only be good in certain mission settings, for example giving the attacker of an assault mission several waves to launch at a fortified defender.

Being forced to watch the rest of a match may be very boring and disapointing and will soon result into long drawn camping matches (nobody wants to die first) as seen in a certain game including tracked vehicles :)

A player could get a bonus for staying in the game (having a team-fixed ghost view) XP or cash wise or you punish players who leave when their Mech was destroyed by giving less XP/cash.

#11 Lab Rat

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:01 PM

Force you into spectator chase view of the person that killed you, or let you leave the match.
Hopefully you can see sweet revenge visited upon them. Or watch in horror as they destroy the rest of your lance.
or
I'd say if they allow spectator mode switching, it has to be limited to your team, since voicecomm would eliminate tactical advantages the enemy might have.

#12 gregsolidus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:07 PM

Five respawns tickets for each team.Gives leeway without removing strategy.

#13 Ghost

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:13 PM

I was expecting some metaphysical discussion here. Valhalla or bust!

#14 steelwraith

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:15 PM

Respawn only in a different mech, and with a time penalty (you have to get to your dropship and back). Otherwise, WoT has the best compromise I've seen: You die, you can opt to quit out of the match and start a new one with a different tank (your current one is unavailable until the end of the match).

#15 VYCanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:23 PM

Should depend on the type of match

but for general play I'd prefer some sort of respawn, because no respawn makes learning a game a right pain in the ***, and forces me to waste time watching others play. Either that or simply a limited number of respawn tickets.

#16 Myraeri

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:24 PM

View PostCaballo, on 08 November 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

I prefer no respawn at all until the end of the round.

From my point of view, you are a part of a unit. If you make the mistake of engaging the NME by yourself solely, you're done, so your battlemech exploded, so you're dead or ejected (it would be nice to give some bonus for capturing mechwarriors for each side, so penalty for the side who's mechwarriors tend to die instead of ejecting), but you're dead or ejected for the whole rest of that round.

In a team game there are ways to die even if you are playing well. In an equally skilled 4v4 engagement in an open field, if you're the unlucky soul that gets picked out as the first focus target of the other team, you are likely going to be dead with 5-7 mechs left on the field. So everyone should care how fun the game is after that point.

View Postgregsolidus, on 08 November 2011 - 03:07 PM, said:

Five respawns tickets for each team.Gives leeway without removing strategy.

Something like respawn tickets only delays the problem. Eventually your team will run out of respawn tickets and you'll be dead waiting for the match to end.

Edited by Myraeri, 08 November 2011 - 03:38 PM.

#17 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:28 PM

spectator mode where you can only spectate your team, otherwise it could be used to spectate the other team and confer your team a tactical advantage over teamspeak/ventrillo

#18 EGL

• PipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 50 posts
  • LocationGRF-3M Cockpit

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:41 PM

no respawn in battle, do it like WOT if you have to. You lose that mech, if you want, you can spectate friendlies only.

#19 Cyttorak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationAlbany, OR, USA

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:43 PM

Even spectator mode for your own team *might* give a tactical advantage if the dead player is allowed to change their perspective...if they are allowed to be in 3rd person, then they act as eyes in the back of the pilot's head.
I would prefer to see kicked into the lobby, with the option of Mechlab/starting another game, but only with a different mech.

#20 Kargush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 973 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:48 PM

View Poststormwolf, on 08 November 2011 - 02:36 PM, said:

No spawn please, you'll have to sit out the match and watch from your teammates POV.

"It's five hours, Bill. On wooden seats. And no toilets this side of the Thames."

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users