21 replies to this topic

#1 JackJolleboi

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSweden, Umeå

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:02 AM

So I was Bored today and had a silly idea in my head I decided to try: Turning an Atlas AS7-D into a BNC-3E Banshee or one of it's other Variants. Now I know, the Banshee is considered mediocre at best, only armed with an AC/5, a PPC and a Small Laser, but thats exactly why I wanted to try it anyway! I Stripped off 3 Tons of armor, bought a 360 STD Engine (as close as I'll get to a 380 STD Engine) and equiped it with the 16 heat sinks and weapons. Now Sadly, I realised that a BNC-3E has it's small laser in the head, and it's PPC in the right Torso, so I had to put the small laser in the center torso and the PPC in the right Arm.

I saved, jumped into a game and survived for a woopin 4:15 minutes! Had a good laugh, then decided to try replicating some other variants.

Now this got me thinking: Have any of you ever tried turning a mech in MWO into another mech that isn't in the game yet? Why not post a build here or discuss possible Proxy/Replication builds!

Meanwhile, I'll just post the details for my BNC-3E here.
Btw, 2 points of armor in MWO equals 1 point of armor in CBT, it helps when replicating other mechs)

Atlas AS7-D Into BNC-3E Banshee
Tons: 95 (100-5)
Engine: 360 STD*
Engine Weight: 40 tons
Gyro Weight: 4 tons
Structure: Standard
Armor: Standard Armor
Armor Tonnage: 15 tons
Armor Points Total: 480

Armor Alocation
Head: 18
CT: 80
CT Rear: 34
LT/RT: 60
LT/RT Rear: 20
Arms: 42
Legs: 52

Heat Sinks: 16 std heatsinks (14 in engine, 2 outside engine)

Weapons & Equipment Loc Tons Slots
AC/5 Autocannon LT 8 4
PPC RA 7 3 (supposed to be located in RT)
Small Laser CT 0.5 1 (supposed to be located in Head)
AC/5 Ammo (30 shots) LT 1 1
STD Heat Sink RL 1 1

NOTES & ADJUSTMENTS
*Regarding the Engine, I checked the Tech Manual to see the weight difference between a STD 380 engine and a STD 360 Engine, and it turns out that Piranha Games are using the weights for Non-Fusion Cell Engines (or are trying to inlcude Gyro tonage with the engine, which in that case is wrong for the STD 360 which should weigh 33+4=39 Tons, which it doesn't). The STD 360 should weigh 33 tons, but in MWO it weighs 40, which is the same as the 360 engine's non-fusion CELL equivalent. I could argue and nickpick about this but I feel like I would probably go offtopic. The diffrent weight brought it closer to the STD 380 Engine anyway, which weighs 41 tons acording to the tech manual.
Now the Banshee only has one external heatsink, but i got 2, so I put one in the correct location and the other in the center torso so that it would be as close to the engine as possible.
With any remaning weight you could either simply imagine that it weighs more, or you could add things that won't affect your mech's overall performance but still add some weight, like CASE in a location(s) void of ammunition, or you could add some actual usefull stuff just because you can.

That's it! The result is a quite so bad assault mech that honestly isn't very practical.
Now let's see what you guys got.

#2 Eric darkstar Marr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 487 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:07 AM

On a note about the engine all internals and gyro are included in the weight making the numbers skewed to you there was a long post in the old general which had it broken down.

As for proxy mechs done a madphract about the only one worth mentioning
Oh and my trashcan spider but we dont have sub 100 engines so it was a bit off.

#3 JackJolleboi

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSweden, Umeå

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:25 AM

Alright, that explains the engine stuff I suppose.

Got me thinking that maybe it's possible to make an UrbanMech. Thought maybe you could use the Raven RVN-4X as a base for it, considering it has the right hard points and jump jets, and you can just reduce armor to the appropriate ammount to make it work. It would be absolutely horrible ingame, but maybe it'd be fun just for the lols. XD

#4 SMDMadCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

I turned my K2 into a Cestus. It works dam well, I will smurfy it later.

#5 JackJolleboi

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSweden, Umeå

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:03 PM

A Cestus huh, 1x Gauss, 2x Medium Lasers and 2x large Lasers, that's actually not so bad. Maybe I'll try it if I get a K2.

#6 Kasiagora

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 620 posts
  • LocationIf not the mechbay then the battlefield!

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

I've made quite a few proxy builds but don't remember most of them. The first one was making a Grand Dragon out of a normal Dragon back in Closed Beta. I made a Centurion AL into a Conjurer with moderate success. Too bad about not getting jump jets though. And another was that my Cataphract 1X I'd made into a Caesar. It was a pretty good mech with the Gauss and ER PPC for long range and 4 medium lasers for up close work, but...

What I've been piloting most recently is my Rifleman made out of a Jager JM6-S.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...604da84ef99d149

It's not made to be exactly like a Rifleman, but like an upgraded refit typical of MW:O. The thing works great and will often times get damage in the 600-650 range. I initially built it to show to the devs and the community the viability of introducing an Unseen mech to the game through the Hero Mechs that would sidestep any licensing laws by being built on a Jagermech platform with Rifleman hardpoints. A few months a go I did a few threads in the General Discussion and Suggestions forums, so I can't say if they ever noticed my posts and findings, but I feel like it's possible, I might be slightly responsible for the Firebrand. Probably just a coincidence though.

P.S. Now that I've Smurfy'd it I've noticed, why the heck do I have a BAP on this thing? Does BAP even do anything?

#7 JackJolleboi

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSweden, Umeå

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:31 PM

That is a very interessting build, and a clever way of making an unseen mech in the game! I have to try it out myself. And as far as BAP go, I don't know how usefull it is. I think it might be good for a missile heavy mech, since it supposedly speeds up targeting data and increase sensor range, but for a direct fire mech I guess it isn't really needed seeing as you just need to have a good eye for spotting targets. Since I haven't really used BAP myself that much I suppose my opinion doesn't exactly hold much value to it, but maybe someone who knows more about BAP could answer wether it does anything?

#8 Garth Erlam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:42 PM

I desperately want a Mech I can make a proxy Nova out of :)

#9 Eric darkstar Marr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 487 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 31 May 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

:( Kinda hard to do when there is no clan tech yet. Maybe ride your boss harder and get them clannies out.

#10 Kasiagora

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 620 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:01 PM

Crack the whip, Garth!

I fear the day that clan mechs arrive though. I'll be piloting a Mad Dog / Vulture in Alt. Config B if I can afford it, but what they're going to do to game balance with their superior tech and seemingly unending hard points will make me need to clean my shorts out with a rake.

More on topic though is that a lot of the proxies I make are usually based off of IIC or Solahma variants of Inner Sphere mechs. It's a good starting point.

#11 Multitallented

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 697 posts
  • Locationright behind you (figuratively)

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

I made a thread like this here: http://mwomercs.com/...mech-challenge/

#12 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:13 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 31 May 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

If only you were in a position to do something about that .... :(.

Also I'd like to point out that the proposed "same weapon type = heat *******" change would completely and utterly bork your Nova and/or Nova proxy build.

Edited by Sephlock, 31 May 2013 - 01:17 PM.

#13 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:09 PM

I have run a MAD-3R Marauder/Cataphract
A Semi-UrbanMech/Spider
an Assassin/Jenner
Flame/Grand Dragon
HBK-4G/Enforcer

and TBH, not real happy with any of them. But soon I get my NOJN-Proxy Victor. And I will indeed be happy.

#14 Empyrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 210 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

Trebuchet TBT-7J can be turned into a Wraith pretty easily. Wraith is late 50s medium (55t) mech.

Large Pulse Laser in the left arm and twin Medium Pulse Lasers in the right arm. Biggest engine you can put in it, max armor, max jumpjets. The rest go for Double Heat Sinks. You can fit AMS as well if you want.
Fast and maneuverable harasser and strike mech.

Haven't actually built one, just planned it.

#15 FiveDigits

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:22 PM

Wolfhound WLF-2

#16 TheComet

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:37 PM

Made a Hollander out of a Spider and am currently saving up to convert a Jagermech into a Piranha...sorta (I can get the engine up to speed and retain half the dakka of the piranha's 12 MGs :()

#17 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:47 AM

View PostEmpyrus, on 31 May 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

Trebuchet TBT-7J can be turned into a Wraith pretty easily. Wraith is late 50s medium (55t) mech.

Done off of a -5J, with 15 DSHSs. The arms tend to pop off, it feels hot if you use both sets of guns, and the speed seems "meh" …

#18 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:51 AM

Turns out nether the Warhammer-6D (Phract-1X w/ AMS added), nor the Thug ([i]Awesome-8T with a small engine) work too well, even using standard PPCs and about 20 DSHSs. Not much punch, bad time with faster units …

#19 Ralgas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationThe Wonderful world of OZ

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:08 AM

Only just made a post of this elsewhere, hoping beyond hope atm the ON-2M gets released with 1 extra energy hard point.

Marauder madness will ensue........

#20 Kasiagora

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 620 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:24 PM

I don't know where I heard it because it's been years, but I've always thought that Kerensky's Orion was a variant with an SRM4 in each arm, so I've assumed it's an ON1-V. But the standard ON1-V has less armor than normal and with all that technology and being Commander of the Star League, I'd imagine he could get some ferro-fibrous or endosteel to get that protection back up.
Not really a proxy, but I want to pilot Kerensky's Orion when it comes out.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users