151 replies to this topic

#121 anonymous161

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:23 AM

Glad I'm not the only one thats been getting bored of this game. They continually disappoint us with this joke of a ask the dev, almost every answer is, maybe, no, sure, or other vague answers that never satisfy.

For this series to come back to it's original glory it needs a solid single player, and much better game play and balance.

I've yet to be impressed by anything these devs have done with this game. I dont play the older ones because I have so many times for many years I wanted a new game showing what todays technology can do for this franchise and we get this...It's just not enough. I'll likely play this through the summer but that depends if they start making the game fun.

Every mech we have gotten from them has been just a variant a poor one at that. There newest mech is a joke I'm glad it's a new mech but it's useless bought it and after a few rounds found it wasn't worth owning *blackjack* It's too weak.

Yes it's a small team but that doesn't mean I should be happy with that, I want a team like bungie or 343 you know a huge company known for excellent quality! These guys just dont cut it for me and obviously a huge amount of others. I mean only thousands play this game and not all at once by a large margin.

#122 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

View PostDarth Bane001, on 05 June 2013 - 08:23 AM, said:

Glad I'm not the only one thats been getting bored of this game. They continually disappoint us with this joke of a ask the dev, almost every answer is, maybe, no, sure, or other vague answers that never satisfy.

For this series to come back to it's original glory it needs a solid single player, and much better game play and balance.

I've yet to be impressed by anything these devs have done with this game. I dont play the older ones because I have so many times for many years I wanted a new game showing what todays technology can do for this franchise and we get this...It's just not enough. I'll likely play this through the summer but that depends if they start making the game fun.

Every mech we have gotten from them has been just a variant a poor one at that. There newest mech is a joke I'm glad it's a new mech but it's useless bought it and after a few rounds found it wasn't worth owning *blackjack* It's too weak.

Yes it's a small team but that doesn't mean I should be happy with that, I want a team like bungie or 343 you know a huge company known for excellent quality! These guys just dont cut it for me and obviously a huge amount of others. I mean only thousands play this game and not all at once by a large margin.

^ This is what is boring. It got boring before it even started. If you hate the game, if you hate pgi leave. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

#123 cyberFluke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:13 PM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 31 May 2013 - 12:49 PM, said:

This is a bit of a non-useful answer, isn't it? We know where the values come from, Karl is asking if you ever considered changing them because the values are based on the TT game, a game that definitely did not feature mouse-aiming or convergence.

Or, to phrase it another way; ok, Armour is "Based on TT values", What did you base your aiming and accuracy mechanics/statistics on? Has anyone computed the consequences on weapon balance without any inaccuracy at all?

#124 cyberFluke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:35 PM

View PostMokey Mot, on 03 June 2013 - 07:00 PM, said:

They revived a game/genre all other developers/publishers dismissed as dead; and for such a small team, they are doing pretty well. Sorry for being harsh, but suck it up and be patient. I can guarentee I have spent more time and money on this game than you, and my frustrations are equally as high, but you are expecting too much from too little. PGI aren't very good at PR; this seems to escalate people's frustrations.

WARNING: Rather emotional, but realistic look at the current state of MW:O.

Personally, I was just trying to keep them to their own promises, ie. what I paid $120 for. What I'm disappointed in is receiving a watered down shadow of that game intended to "appeal to a wider audience" like CoD kiddies and WoT players. If the game had stayed true to it's roots and design direction as published and referred to in marketing material it could have grown into a sensible, reliable game/income stream. Instead it will burn bright with marketing and hype for a very short time, right up until people realise that the game is shallow and dull with a very low skill ceiling.

There is no "skill" to piloting a mech at all, "heat management" is a joke, point and click aiming is childish and outdated, mech roles are nonexistent, "weapon balancing" is being done before the implementation of core mechanics that will influence said balance, and finally, the one thing they specifically set out to prevent, Assaults mechs being the goal/best/endgame, is generally prevalent. All in all, a fantastic waste of potential and opportunity that will not likely show up again. Good Job letting the short sighted, money grubbing, beancounting suits take the short term grab for return on investment and ruining what could have been a classic, long lasting game.

/disappointedrant

*sigh*

#125 Major Derps

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:40 PM

View Post8RoundsRapid, on 04 June 2013 - 07:56 AM, said:

It's been dead because of horrible gameplay. Darn near everybody who ever touched a mechwarrior game went into it thinking, 'This is gonna be awesome!' and came out thinking, 'Damn, that sucked.' Seriously, the fatal flaw of the mechwarrior franchise has always been the gameplay. All the devs who've ever made a MW game have moved the game farther and farther from battletech with the justification that 'TT just won't work in a video game,' and the franchise has just gotten worse and worse. It seems obvious, but this (whatever this is) isn't working either. Why not try moving the gameplay back toward the TT? There are millions and millions of BT fans/players around the world, and MWO can only draw a few thousand of those?

And no, for a small team, they are not doing quite well.
You people baffle me...why bother? The reason they can't draw the TT fans, is because they like the TT format/rules. So you may as well play the TT, because the only way TT rules will work, is if you have it in a XCOM: Enemy unknown format of play. Yes, this could work, but that isn't the idea of the MW franchise.
And don't talk generally; I have a few mates who still play all the past MW titles quite a lot.

#126 Major Derps

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:49 PM

View PostcyberFluke, on 05 June 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

WARNING: Rather emotional, but realistic look at the current state of MW:O.

Personally, I was just trying to keep them to their own promises, ie. what I paid $120 for. What I'm disappointed in is receiving a watered down shadow of that game intended to "appeal to a wider audience" like CoD kiddies and WoT players. If the game had stayed true to it's roots and design direction as published and referred to in marketing material it could have grown into a sensible, reliable game/income stream. Instead it will burn bright with marketing and hype for a very short time, right up until people realise that the game is shallow and dull with a very low skill ceiling.

There is no "skill" to piloting a mech at all, "heat management" is a joke, point and click aiming is childish and outdated, mech roles are nonexistent, "weapon balancing" is being done before the implementation of core mechanics that will influence said balance, and finally, the one thing they specifically set out to prevent, Assaults mechs being the goal/best/endgame, is generally prevalent. All in all, a fantastic waste of potential and opportunity that will not likely show up again. Good Job letting the short sighted, money grubbing, beancounting suits take the short term grab for return on investment and ruining what could have been a classic, long lasting game.

/disappointedrant

*sigh*
Look, I know how you feel, and empathise. The money grabbing would come from necessity; it comes with the F2P territory, and I have no doubt that F2P will likely kill this game. However, I am going to continue enjoying the fact we have a new MW title to play, as long as I can; whilst hoping it leads to something more. And the irony is, everyone QQing about the game like 8RoundsRapid, are themselves hindering the progress it makes.

Edited by Mokey Mot, 05 June 2013 - 06:50 PM.

#127 Tarriss Halcyon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 239 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:08 AM

View PostJames DeGriz, on 02 June 2013 - 11:26 AM, said:

The Sarah mech is an extremely controversial decision, imo. I'd be fine with a commemorative cockpit item, or perhaps a statue on one of the maps, but something that represents the memory of a 5 year old little girl that can be shot at and destroyed is from some perspectives a little sick, despite the good intentions.

No, but what if it was phrased like this?

"We are going to make a mech for this young girl, and when the game is released we will include it in a special package deal with MC and a mechbay, taking only the smallest cut from said package and sending the rest of this money as a donation for cancer research."

If PGI did that, the package would sell like hotcakes, and the Mech doesn't even need to get used. Let's face it, all it would have over a normal Jenner is colour scheme, it hasn't been stated to be a "Hero" mech. I read the basic posts on the original forum for it. She loved streaks. If the timeline allowed it, they could give her a tribute modified Jenner IIC for it - add maybe a couple of small lasers to it at the exchange of the engine size or possibly the removal of a tonne of ammunition. However, this is a plain ol' Jenner, or possibly a second Champions mech. It probably won't be one people would willingly take into combat because it offers limited advantages over a normal, c-bill-purchased Jenner. Wait and see how they implement this mech before you start saying that the decision was a bad one.

Yes, I agree, morally it is a strange choice to give the girl a tribute that can be destroyed. But really, that's what the game is about. PGI knows what people buy. When you die and see inside other people's cockpits, how many statues do you see? In my experience, I can recall maybe four since they were added. A statue would be the best option, but where would they put it? The next few maps are Volcanic and Asteroids. You can't throw a Jenner statue into either environment. They have said that an Island City map coming up, but we don't know how far off that would be after the Quickdraw surprise announcement. If it's performed sooner rather than later, it's more likely people will buy it.

#128 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:45 AM

Here is a possible quick solution for making data export available to players in re:

Darwins Dog: Would it be possible to have a link for us to get out stats (mechs, weapons, etc.) in something live a .csv file? I'm a science guy, and I would love to be able to see trends in my performance.
A: Yes, eventually we will have an API for players to get access to stat information.

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__2424969

#129 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:58 AM

I should add, that since the MWOMerc pages are rendered in HTML5 if you highlight a table (any table) and drag it to a spreadsheet or word document then the data will be imported into the open document.

So to some level an explicit export is unneeded.

#130 InRev

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:11 AM

View PostBelorion, on 05 June 2013 - 08:51 AM, said:

^ This is what is boring. It got boring before it even started. If you hate the game, if you hate pgi leave. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I know you care about the game, but if the devs adopt that kind of attitude instead of actually getting their act together, you're not going to have a game to care about. There aren't enough white knights to keep the servers running if the majority quits because they're bored as hell.

#131 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:24 AM

View PostInRev, on 06 June 2013 - 07:11 AM, said:

I know you care about the game, but if the devs adopt that kind of attitude instead of actually getting their act together, you're not going to have a game to care about. There aren't enough white knights to keep the servers running if the majority quits because they're bored as hell.

There isn't near as much negativity centered around MWO as the QQ crowd would have people believe.

#132 anonymous161

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:45 AM

You seem to be in the minority here buddy. Go play the game if you love it so much, perhaps if they do a better job I'll go back too it, but dont see anything great in this series happening ever again. They said that if this game did good they would make a single player version, but I doubt thats ever happening, and considering how slow they are to fixing problems that should never have happened we would lose our patience and just not care.

#133 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:50 AM

View PostDarth Bane001, on 06 June 2013 - 07:45 AM, said:

You seem to be in the minority here buddy. Go play the game if you love it so much, perhaps if they do a better job I'll go back too it, but dont see anything great in this series happening ever again. They said that if this game did good they would make a single player version, but I doubt thats ever happening, and considering how slow they are to fixing problems that should never have happened we would lose our patience and just not care.

Minority of posts in this thread maybe. All the negative posts all over these boards are made by a small group of people. You just keep seeing the same names pop up again and again trying to spread the gospel of how this game is bad. Judging by what is being said in my merc corp everyone is pretty happy with the latest patch, and the current state of things. We have even seen an increase in players returning after a long break. If you think they are slow to fix problems you obviously have never been involved in a large software development project before.

and I do play it :)

Edited by Belorion, 06 June 2013 - 08:50 AM.

#134 Jonathan Spear

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1 posts
  • LocationEast Coast of the old US territories Terra

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:08 PM

My biggest issue is not being able to look up or down to any great degree. Even an increase of 20-30% up and down would make for better balance and targeting abilities on all Mech's.

#135 LoveLost85

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 138 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:01 AM

View PostTarriss Halcyon, on 06 June 2013 - 02:08 AM, said:

No, but what if it was phrased like this?

"We are going to make a mech for this young girl, and when the game is released we will include it in a special package deal with MC and a mechbay, taking only the smallest cut from said package and sending the rest of this money as a donation for cancer research."

If PGI did that, the package would sell like hotcakes, and the Mech doesn't even need to get used. Let's face it, all it would have over a normal Jenner is colour scheme, it hasn't been stated to be a "Hero" mech. I read the basic posts on the original forum for it. She loved streaks. If the timeline allowed it, they could give her a tribute modified Jenner IIC for it - add maybe a couple of small lasers to it at the exchange of the engine size or possibly the removal of a tonne of ammunition. However, this is a plain ol' Jenner, or possibly a second Champions mech. It probably won't be one people would willingly take into combat because it offers limited advantages over a normal, c-bill-purchased Jenner. Wait and see how they implement this mech before you start saying that the decision was a bad one.

Yes, I agree, morally it is a strange choice to give the girl a tribute that can be destroyed. But really, that's what the game is about. PGI knows what people buy. When you die and see inside other people's cockpits, how many statues do you see? In my experience, I can recall maybe four since they were added. A statue would be the best option, but where would they put it? The next few maps are Volcanic and Asteroids. You can't throw a Jenner statue into either environment. They have said that an Island City map coming up, but we don't know how far off that would be after the Quickdraw surprise announcement. If it's performed sooner rather than later, it's more likely people will buy it.

all they need to do is give it ECM, boom, sold

#136 D A T A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 892 posts
  • LocationCasamassima, Bari, south Italy

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:26 AM

Will we be able to launch in a match with only 1 mate, so 2 in total? because is very difficult to find 4 good players i completely trust with.

#137 D A T A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 892 posts
  • LocationCasamassima, Bari, south Italy

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:36 AM

are you planning an underground map? I suppose this would add much much more to the variability of the maps, I was thinking on something similar to the operation 2 mission 4 of MechWarrior 3

#138 Islington

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 31 May 2013 - 11:25 AM, said:

Your honesty on this is appreciated, and I get that the promise of upcoming features is one of the biggest things keeping people around, but don't you think your "aggressive release schedule" is a little bold for a small developer? With all due respect, I find it a little hard to believe that you lack the people to play enough games to lure the obvious "excessive LRM dive point" bug out from hiding.

[redacted] As a developer myself Its easy to tell that you havent the slightest clue what goes in to developing testing and releasing even the smallest feature.

Game developers these days typically work something like 60 -70 hours a week if they are lucky and the qa staff for a game typically works even longer hours for close to minimum wage. (Note these are generalities and do not necessarily represent working conditions at pgi as I have no direct knowledge of those conditions)

[redacted]

Edited by miSs, 12 June 2013 - 10:17 AM.
inflammatory

#139 Tungol

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:13 PM

I don't understand all the hate. I like MWO. Yeah, its got problems, and a lot of things aren't the way I'd do them. But even as a LW all the time, I really enjoy it. Mech roles depend on your build and your initiative. Its fun to see how a group of total strangers figure out how to work together and prevail within 10 minutes or less, usually with little or no chat. The only imbalance I can really think of is I think it's too easy to hit something with LRM's, and more to the point, impossible to hide from them. But even there, just today I figured out it can be done. You just have to know they attack the last known position of their target. So hide and then move. Voila! Somebody criticized "point and shoot". Well, this IS a shooter. But bigger maps and more complex objectives will help make things more interesting. I can see how people might get bored, since there's really no point to the game in beta other than shooting at things. You don't gain reputation with a House. You don't advance any strategic goals, You don't have to worry about going broke. All weapons are readily available. And no matter how well you do, all you have to show for it is a little more money and a little more XP. But indications (and I'm not even very well informed) are that PGI has plans for a more meaningful experience at launch. I wish they'd introduce a FFA arena like in MW4. I've seen some awesome players (most seem to be in the light mechs. assault drivers tend not to be so good IMO), so I know I wouldn't win the championship. But the FFA dynamic is just fun, especially with the announcer making comments. Love it!

#140 SVK Puskin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 822 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:04 AM

View PostIL MECHWARRIOR, on 08 June 2013 - 10:36 AM, said:

are you planning an underground map? I suppose this would add much much more to the variability of the maps, I was thinking on something similar to the operation 2 mission 4 of MechWarrior 3

Memorable times. :lol:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users