Do You Like The New Jj Screenshake?

84 replies to this topic

Poll: Do You Like The New Jj Screenshake? (342 member(s) have cast votes)

Screenshake?

1. Yes (249 votes [72.81%])

Percentage of vote: 72.81%

2. No (93 votes [27.19%])

Percentage of vote: 27.19%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 WhupAzz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 119 posts
  • LocationIn your left eye

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:22 PM

View PostThanatos676, on 04 June 2013 - 04:04 PM, said:

I love the fact that the meta has shifted yet again and the poptart crutch is gone.

It has indeed shifted right back to brawling as far as i could tell from my few games tonight so much so I'm debating buying my CTF-1X back for some extra AC/20 action which makes me think it's not balanced and has just seesawed back to brawling now JJ as a ranged tactic has been nerfed.

Circle of death anyone? Brawling -> LRM Boating -> JumpSniping and back to brawling in the space of 4 months is it?

#22 Weaselball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 670 posts
  • LocationHell's ********, AKA Fresno.

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:22 PM

I voted "Yes."

I have 3 Highlanders that I pilot (my only jump capable mechs), though none of which are what you could call "poptart" builds.

My 732 rocks a Gauss, 2 LL's and SRM's.
My 733C rocks an AC20, 2 LL's and SSRM's.
My 733P rocks 2 ERPPC's, 2 ML's, and SRM's.

None of these are the "high alpha poptart" mechs that the JJ nerf was aimed towards, though all have felt the nerf in one way or another.

Keep in mind, I voted yes on the poll, and I do genuinely like the "jumpjet screen shake." What I don't really like is the added "random" mechanic they added when jumping.

If my lasers fire and sway wildly around, or my Gauss or PPC shot misses because the reticule is swirling about and I didn't click when it was on target, then that's my bad. But when I fire my large lasers and they don't go anywhere near my shaking reticule, then I have an issue.

Again. I like the screen shake, and I want it to stay. It needs to stay. But the random shot direction in ADDITION to the screen shake is kinda lame. If a target is 300 or so meters ahead of me, I should still hit the target, even if I don't hit it in a spot that I want because my aim was off due to the shake. But when I fire my large lasers, and they go flying off at a 30 degree angle off to the right side of the target... well that's just lame.

Keep the screen shake. Tweak that as much or as little as you need. But remove the added random firing direction. I do not believe it's necessary. The shake alone should affect aim, not an additional penalty.

But again that's just me. A humble non-poptarting jump brawler who still uses SRM's even though they're not terribly popular and who doesn't boat PPC's and Gauss rifles. I'll adapt if they don't remove it, but right now it feels like they dropped the nerf-nuke on jumpsniping when the simple nerf-hammer would have sufficed.

#23 Chopsaw

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:24 PM

It equates to making JJ's on my jenner even more useless. I had stopped playing my 5-JJ jenner months ago when it couldn't even consistently make the seawall on river city. The ONE advantage a light like a jenner has is utterly useless. Well, speed, but that's nerfed with the speed cap. Lights are dead in this game right now unless you have ecm.

#24 EvilMilk

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:28 PM

hmm perhaps reduce shake for lighter mechs
and add an new module to unlock "Advanced Gyro" reduce shake by x%

#25 JudgeDeathCZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

where is option for I am not jumpsnipers so I do not care?

#26 heleqin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:35 PM

View PostChopsaw, on 04 June 2013 - 04:24 PM, said:

It equates to making JJ's on my jenner even more useless. I had stopped playing my 5-JJ jenner months ago when it couldn't even consistently make the seawall on river city. The ONE advantage a light like a jenner has is utterly useless. Well, speed, but that's nerfed with the speed cap. Lights are dead in this game right now unless you have ecm.

i keep saying this in every post on the JJ change, its a non-issue, just adapt your playstyle, it shouldn't be a gamebreaking issue, i'm not a great gamer, but with practice, the requisite skill does develop. 2nd if i can consistently clear the seawall with only 2 JJ in my Jenner D and you can't do it with 5, then you really need to practice more.

#27 Gerwig

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 154 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:45 PM

I voted yes, the shake could be reduced a little or preferably the randomness removed, particularly for lights, but some shake is preferable.

#28 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

Let the poptarts burn!

#29 JSparrowist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationBoomer Sooner

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:55 PM

View PostOneEyed Jack, on 04 June 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

Screen shake, not reticle shake.

One affects combat. The other has zero effect on combat, but has an unfortunate nauseating effect on some players.

If you don't have a clue what you're talking about, it's better to not talk.

Keep defending your easy mode, noob. QQ some more.

#30 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:58 PM

View PostSybreed, on 04 June 2013 - 04:06 PM, said:

those who say it's nauseating, just use a wider FOV and you'll be fine

FOV is technically not a sanctioned change. The worst part is that we have yet to get a slider to change it...

#31 MonkeyCheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:00 PM

As a spider pilot im going to vomit.

#32 bloodnor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Locationwarrington Cheshire UK

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:11 PM

View PostWeaselball, on 04 June 2013 - 04:22 PM, said:

I voted "Yes."

I have 3 Highlanders that I pilot (my only jump capable mechs), though none of which are what you could call "poptart" builds.

My 732 rocks a Gauss, 2 LL's and SRM's.
My 733C rocks an AC20, 2 LL's and SSRM's.
My 733P rocks 2 ERPPC's, 2 ML's, and SRM's.

None of these are the "high alpha poptart" mechs that the JJ nerf was aimed towards, though all have felt the nerf in one way or another.

Keep in mind, I voted yes on the poll, and I do genuinely like the "jumpjet screen shake." What I don't really like is the added "random" mechanic they added when jumping.

If my lasers fire and sway wildly around, or my Gauss or PPC shot misses because the reticule is swirling about and I didn't click when it was on target, then that's my bad. But when I fire my large lasers and they don't go anywhere near my shaking reticule, then I have an issue.

Again. I like the screen shake, and I want it to stay. It needs to stay. But the random shot direction in ADDITION to the screen shake is kinda lame. If a target is 300 or so meters ahead of me, I should still hit the target, even if I don't hit it in a spot that I want because my aim was off due to the shake. But when I fire my large lasers, and they go flying off at a 30 degree angle off to the right side of the target... well that's just lame.

Keep the screen shake. Tweak that as much or as little as you need. But remove the added random firing direction. I do not believe it's necessary. The shake alone should affect aim, not an additional penalty.

But again that's just me. A humble non-poptarting jump brawler who still uses SRM's even though they're not terribly popular and who doesn't boat PPC's and Gauss rifles. I'll adapt if they don't remove it, but right now it feels like they dropped the nerf-nuke on jumpsniping when the simple nerf-hammer would have sufficed.

+1
this is also me similar builds love my highlanders. i used to use my one jump jet to get a little advantage over other mechs when brawling

keep the shake but a random firing arc tone that down a little i dont want to FF my buddies in close combat.

But im quite sure all mechs have gyro-stabilization in there torso a technology we have already perfected in this day and age let alone in the future.

maybe mechs with jump jets in the legs should have less shake as the gyro would try to stabilize it.

Edited by bloodnor, 04 June 2013 - 05:12 PM.

#33 OneEyed Jack

• 2,500 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:12 PM

View PostJSparrowist, on 04 June 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

Keep defending your easy mode, noob. QQ some more.

Listen up, *****. First of all, I wasn't defending anything.

Second, it's not my easy mode. Even if pop-tarting was as big a deal as morons like you make it out to be, it's just not the way I play.

Lastly, screen shake does not affect aim, dumb-***. Reticle shake and randomization affect aim. I don't mind the reticle shake, but dislike randomization stacked on top. I'd prefer more reticle shake. Make it even harder to aim, but remove randomization so aiming as actually possible. That's not easy mode, dip-****, though I don't expect someone like you to be able to figure that out. You couldn't pour **** out of a boot with instructions on the bottom.

View Postheleqin, on 04 June 2013 - 04:35 PM, said:

i keep saying this in every post on the JJ change, its a non-issue, just adapt your playstyle, it shouldn't be a gamebreaking issue, i'm not a great gamer, but with practice, the requisite skill does develop. 2nd if i can consistently clear the seawall with only 2 JJ in my Jenner D and you can't do it with 5, then you really need to practice more.

He said he hadn't played it in months. Maybe he was referring to before they improved the jump arc. I can distinctly recall hitting the jets on my SDR-5K by the Citadel and skimming all the way across the river to get caught under the lip on the far side. :angry:

#34 shabowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

Reticle shake and random divergence would have been a fine nerf to jump sniping. The entire screen shaking as violently as it does makes me a little dizzy as well as many other players and is unnecessary.

#35 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:24 PM

It works. The screen shake could probably be toned down and it will be based on weight in two weeks (per the devs). But, it fits with how things should be. Rockets, which the forced engine exhaust pretty much equates to, should cause shake. That it makes your arms fly all over the place is pretty wicked but it makes sense. Anyway, we all know that the good JJ shooters fired on the way down which means that the change will have no impact on them. Kind of makes you wonder if people are bitching just to ***** because it isn't easy any more.

#36 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:25 PM

I like the effect of preventing a poptart meta but the visuals make mad and need change so i voted no.

#37 Prophetic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 750 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:31 PM

I would like more shake and some mechwarrior blowing chunks graphics but I voted yes for now...

#38 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:34 PM

Now that I've had a chance to play a couple of matches in JJ mechs (Jenner and Catapult), I can say that I am well pleased by the changes. Shake isn't too bad for short range combat, and has no effect on mobility. It merely makes it far harder to do long-range combat while jumping, which is as it should be.

#39 Huntsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:12 PM

I neither like nor dislike it. The shake is insignificant and changes nothing.

#40 EmperorMyrf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 740 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:29 PM

The screen shake is a little extreme, yes. The reticle shake however is great.

Also I wish the "random" thing would match the reticle as it flutters around. If screen shake is reduced or even removed, then the random effect would need to be changed around to compensate. Otherwise poptarts will be able to use lasers somewhat consistently with mild adjustment

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users