1217 replies to this topic

#1 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:27 PM

Tell us what you think of the new Jump-Jet Shake gameplay tweaks!

Spoiler

----
Just a quick FYI for everyone. We will investigate the reduction of screen shake to help those experiencing motion sickness and will try to reduce it to bearable levels. The targeting shake however will remain the same for the foreseeable future.

-Paul

Edited by Paul Inouye, 04 June 2013 - 04:44 PM.
Adding investigation text.

#2 Damocles69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 888 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:37 PM

disregard disgruntled poptarts. its prefect thank you so much

#3 Sybreed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:38 PM

I'm not getting sick by the JJ shake, so perhaps some poptarts are simply being dishonest for their own gain

#4 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

the screen shake is somewhat headache inducing, but i love every other effect including the reticule shake. this has been something i have been asking for for a while now and it is almost perfect.

and here is something you guys do not hear enough

GOOD JOB!!

Edited by blinkin, 04 June 2013 - 04:41 PM.

#5 TheMagician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 779 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:41 PM

After an hour of playing, I had to step back for a while as I felt quite illish. It was very frustrating. This is getting reported by a lot of people. A solution is to provide more of a bobbing motion, and when you release the JJ, your torso is where it was at in the bob (as opposed to returning to the center-point).

Other balance features, as opposed to the heavy shaking, are to reduce initial thrust, and to increase the recharge rate of the jump jets.

#6 mania3c

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • 466 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:42 PM

I like JJ shake as balance mechanics.. I just feel something is wrong with a look of it..I will repost my previous post here

Motion sickness or not..something is a bit wonky.. I am not poptart but something should be fixed and I have small tip where the real problem can exists.

When I am doing motion graphics, shake is pretty good tool to make many events happening believable ..in another words..i am using shake/wiggle very often during my work. Best shake are shakes which are more felt..not seen.. not saying they are not visible..people just don't recognize them as shake..because it feels natural..part of the image/video and this is not what i feel during JJ shake..

in most cases.. it can be fixed pretty easily..motion blur..but I guess Cryengine motion blur can be pretty costy for framerate (if not, just turn in it on for cockpit please..what is does is softening edges, softening whole effect is much more bearable for human eye and brain..if even shake is pretty strong..

But in some cases motion blur is not a option..in this case the key is frequency... it seems that frequency of the shake is set higher than average user framerate(or fps).. something like 100-120 or something(it wouldn't be for a first time in PGI history).. when frequency is higher than FPS, objects (cockpit) seems to be jumping from place to place without any logic.. when you set frequency lower than FPS(monitor frequency) you I cal clearly see, that object (cockpit) is moving in some direction..along some vector (even if its only 2-3 frames, your eye/brain can recognize it)..

Again..it looks much more natural and easy when looking on it.. Manytimes when I am doing motion graphics and I have motion blur turned off for preview or wiggle frequency set too high, i feel something what could be represented as minor motion sickness..

so what is conclusion? Balance wise..i agree with JJ shake.. but cockpit shake could be handled better.. and I think lack of motion blur or too high frequency of shake can be cause of unnatural feel and motion sickness.

#7 VikingN1nja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 607 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:46 PM

N

View PostNiko Snow, on 04 June 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

Tell us what you think of the new Jump-Jet Shake gameplay tweaks!

Spoiler

Hi niko the problem is the reticle shake which is completely separate to where the cross-hairs actually are It was shaking so much that my chest pulse lasers on my 733 hit a friend while reticle was on a foe.
If you turn off the hud guess what, there isn't that bad a shake.

#8 Gerwig

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 154 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

Shake is great, randomness of aim I'm not sure is nec. Shake or randomness could be reduced some,particularly on light mechs

#9 OvenRude

• PipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

View PostTheMagician, on 04 June 2013 - 04:41 PM, said:

After an hour of playing, I had to step back for a while as I felt quite illish. It was very frustrating. This is getting reported by a lot of people. A solution is to provide more of a bobbing motion, and when you release the JJ, your torso is where it was at in the bob (as opposed to returning to the center-point).

Other balance features, as opposed to the heavy shaking, are to reduce initial thrust, and to increase the recharge rate of the jump jets.

Totally agree, I also had to stop playing due to getting pretty bad motion sickness. After an hour or so of not playing I feel normal again. People who dislike "poptarts" will be quick to say no one actually feels sick from this etc etc, but honestly, it does make me feel motion sick - and quite quickly. I also don't think that it is an issue that PGI/IGP employees should go out of their way to make fun of.

#10 rdmx

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:49 PM

I would like to reiterate that as someone who suffers from motion sickness, screen shake is a completely unacceptable solution to use as 'gameplay balance'.

#11 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:50 PM

I'm not happy with the post removed... as it didn't violate anything (I actually believe that the EULA will not hold up in court if it actually causes serious problems long term).

With that said, there's something to be said about "ideal" situations but balance sometimes need to be more practical. Having JJ shakes being vomit inducing is NOT THE WAY TO GO.

#12 Dadrick

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

Jumpjets are now deadweight for anything above 35 tons. Currenly most mechs don't move quickly enough to need the jets, and the ability to scale small obsticales offers no real value at all.

In my opinion, jump jets should be used as a way to travel short distances quickly. It would make them infinitely more useful for heavier mechs without poptarting being an issue. To prevent the speed mechanic from being abused, you could just increase the recharge time on the jets.

#13 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:54 PM

Posted from my thread
Thank you for ruining the one thing that still gave me hope in this game, lights with jumpjets and my much loved spider battlemech.

Firstly just to state none of my 16 mechs including my HGN-7333P have ppcs.

I have to say this new screen shake to nerf the apparent threat of poptarts is disgusting and so is your post, im going to be sick.

View PostGarth Erlam, on 04 June 2013 - 08:19 AM, said:

so we fixed it! You're Welcome. Here is a pro tip - Fire after you let go of your Jump jet thrust.

So good to see you still want to help the poptarts...

I just played one match in my much loved spider5D (2ml 1erLL) and I seriously feel like I need to throw up, first match after patching mind you. Please for the love of "enter deity here" remove the jumpjet shake for light mechs or remove it altogether its not worth it if it makes people sick .

Light mechs were never a threat in this poptart fad anyway they never had the armor to pull it off if the enemy can aim back.

As I'm writing this I have 0.12days of premium time left, I was going to buy more to do some massive money grindin for the eventual flea and the new victor (an 80ton fast assault mech with jumpjets, my jumpjetting 9m fantasy just became real.... and its gone) I'm not going to bother buying premium time now as my spider and founders jenner are unplayable.

Also no hero light mech today (4th heavy) and the announcement of another heavy make me sad.

I guess I'm off to pay to win planetside 2 with my money until this is fixed. but seriously please fix this, I have never felt this sick in a game before no pc game no console game, and I have been a gamer since I was a wee little kid playing my brothers atari 2600.

Sincerely
Sad MonkeyCheese Throwing Up

Also this

View PostBudor, on 04 June 2013 - 12:47 PM, said:

If theres this " - Weapon fire spread - Aiming weapons is randomly offset while jump jets are active." why do we need to have a shaking crosshair? If they want to give a graphical clue to the spread why not just widen the crosshair like every other shooter in the last 10 years?

Please for the love of "enter deity here"
Remove the screenshake for the light mechs

They are not part of the poptart threat, they are tiny with crappy armor and jumping up and down on the spot behind a hill is an invitation for a light mech to get obliterated.

Edited by MonkeyCheese, 04 June 2013 - 05:02 PM.

#14 Serapth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:57 PM

Add me to the group getting motion sickness from this change.

To those that want to write this off as a QQing poptart... here's my mech usage stats, obviously not a poptart.

Posted Image

The effect being used is trigger motion sickness in those of us susceptible to it.

#15 Kunae

• 4,303 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:57 PM

JJ shake is absurd, for light mechs. Please remove the entire "shake" mechanic from light mechs.

I could really care less about pop-tart viability so what you do to heavy and assault JJ functionality, don't care.

Right now Jenners have zero use. You may as well just play a Cicada, as I plan to, in lieu of Jenners until you remove this silliness. :angry:

#16 Chopsaw

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:58 PM

View PostDadrick, on 04 June 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

Jumpjets are now deadweight for anything above 35 tons. Currenly most mechs don't move quickly enough to need the jets, and the ability to scale small obsticales offers no real value at all.

JJ's have been dead weight for anything 35 tons or less for a looonnng time. When a 5-JJ jenner (light mech) can get only as high as a 4-jj catapult (heavy mech) in the same amount of time, jj's on lights have been dubious at best before. NOW, they're absolutely useless.

How about some love for lights with JJ's?

#17 hoverstorm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:58 PM

Can you guys apply a hotfix asap on the shake, so I don't need to "vomit" after 1 hour of playing?

I am not too sure whether this implemented, but it would great if the amount of rand() shake, max value is based both on the tonnage of the mech and on the number of jump jets installed into a particular mech.

Edited by Eirikr Sim, 05 June 2013 - 10:28 AM.

#18 Tsunamisan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:00 PM

I agree with how this is done for highlanders but not for lights more stable mechs. It needs to be evaluated on a per mech or per weight class. The jitter on light mechs is way to much an from what i can see its no different than piloting a highlander

#19 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Make the shake a bit more, let it last for half a second (give or take) after letting off JJ´s to have mechanical realignment of the limbs settle back in.

Very, very good change so far.

By the way: Motion sickness from that little shake ?

#20 NeoFighter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 121 posts
  • LocationOn the battlefield

View PostDadrick, on 04 June 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

i can count a good amount of place that i can't get too without JJ, what is this illusion people keep talking about that they are useless unless used in an offensive manner, and where in the lore are they solely used in an offensive manner to start with....

keep em this way, little less screen shake is viable as well

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users