#1 80Bit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 555 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:16 AM

Part 1: Introduction

MechWarrior Online already has 17 unique BattleMech chassis available, with many more on the way. Each BattleMech has 3 or more unique variants available, leading to 70+ unique BattleMechs to choose from. Picking the right mech to spend your hard earned C-Bills on can be a daunting task for newbie and veteran alike. While all the mechs can be fun, they each have their own strong and weak points, and some definitely rise above the rest in performance.
This compressive guide is meant to a subjective review each mech variant, how it stacks up to its peers, and what roles is excels at. While I do not own all 60+ mech variants, I do own, and have extensively played, one or more variant of each chassis. When rating the mechs, I considered how their hard points, hit boxes, performance, and unique characterizes define them compared to not only other variants, but other mechs that fit the same role. This guide covers mech capabilities in normal solo and small group play, so even mechs with high marks may not be great in the highest end 8v8 play.

Ranking System:

1 Star (*): These mechs have some deficiency that makes them clearly inferior to similar options.
2 Star (**): These mechs have no major flaws, but no stand out features either.
3 Star (***): These mechs have good hard points and are well rounded, and can perform great when loaded out properly.
ComStar (Posted Image): These mechs are top tier. They do things other mechs can’t, and can be absolutely deadly with the right load out.

Important Note: These reviews are of the potential greatness of a mech, not of the mech’s stock load out. Even if you buy a “ComStar” rated mech, if your mech build is terrible, your results will be terrible as well. And even a 1 star mech is going to kick your butt if the pilot is of significantly higher skill. And I have tried to make the reviews from the perspective of balanced weapon systems. If one particular system is unbalanced or broken, it may affect the viability of specific mechs at that moment.

Important Note #2: This guide is done by an average player, for average players. If you want the perspective of high end competitive players, have a look at http://mwomercs.com/...mech-tier-list/. This guide is for the other 98% who will not be doing high end tournaments where minor differences become noticeable.

Final Note: This is a 15,000+ word guide. If you find errors, please be gentle, let me know, and I will correct them.

Part 2: Mech Roles

Each BattleMech is suited for one or more “roles” in battle. It is important to understand what your play style is before you buy a mech, and to know which mechs do well in that role. The following list of definitions is not official, it is just my take on what many players define as “roles”. Many mechs can excel at more than one role at once, or can use different load outs to shift them to different roles.

Brawler: Brawlers are front line, close range combatants. They use high armor, or a mix of armor and maneuverability, to be able to take a lot of hits and dish out damage at closed range. Mechs that work well as brawlers have high close range damage, high armor or survivability, and work well with standard engines. Examples; HBK-4SP, CN9-A, AS7-D-DC.

Direct Fire Support: Direct Fire Support players sit behind the front line and use load outs that sacrifice speed and durability for raw firepower. They count on the brawlers to keep the enemy busy while they unload high damage alpha strikes from medium or long range. Mechs with the tonnage and hard points to support large long range alpha strikes work well in this role. Examples; JM7-S, ILYA MUROMETS, STK-3F.

Indirect Fire Support: This role is currently exclusive to LRM equipped mechs, which are able to rain down damage from long range, even if they can’t directly see the enemy target. Good IFS mechs need the missile hard points, and missile tubes required to push out 30 or more LRMs at a time, and enough speed to position themselves properly on the battlefield. Examples; TBT-5N, CPLT-C4, STK-3H.

Skirmisher (A.K.A. Striker): These are the mechs that come in fast, lay down some damage, and then run off before the enemy can react. They make good scout hunters, flankers, and point cappers. To skirmish, a mech needs good speed and weapons that are accurately fired while moving fast. Examples; JR7-D, CDA-2A, FLAME.

Scout: Scouts move across the field of battle at blazing speeds. They find out where the enemy is, cap points, and cause distractions. Scout mechs need to have major speed, and the ability to use jump jets or ECM is a huge boon as well. Examples; COM-2D, SDR-5D, RVN-3L.

Part 3: Mech Chassis and Variant Reviews

Light Mechs (20 to 35 ton)
Low Armor, Moderate Firepower, Very High Mobility.

Mechs in the light weight class are geared almost exclusively to scouting and skirmishing, since they don’t have the weapon capacity or armor needed for other roles. Low armor and high speeds are the hallmark of the light mech, with common speeds in the 120 to 140 KPH range. Though they are the least expensive mechs to buy, good builds rely on XL engines and lots of upgrades, so kitting them out is quite costly. These mechs excel at hit and run tactics and can run circles around the slower heavy and assault mechs, but their durability is so low that it is not unheard of for a single assault alpha strike to kill a light. As such, light mechs can be challenging for new players to drive, but a huge asset to their team in the hands of a skilled pilot. It should be noted that light on light fighting is currently dominated by ECM capable lights with streak missiles, and non-ECM lights are considered by many to be disadvantaged by this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Commando (25 ton)
Spoiler

Spider (30 ton)
Spoiler

Jenner (35 ton)
Spoiler

Raven (35 ton)
Spoiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Medium Mechs (40 to 55 ton)
Moderate Armor, Moderate Firepower, High Mobility.

In MechWarrior Online, medium mechs are the jack of all trades. They can be found in every role, from a scouting Cicada to a brawling Centration, to a LRM slinging Trebuchet. Most medium mechs have typical speeds of 80 to 100 KPH, robust weapon hard points, and a noticeably more armor than the light mechs. And those respectable speeds can be managed by standard engines too, making many mediums hardy brawlers, capable of using all their components to soak up damage. But in MWO, the title of “well rounded” is not always a blessing. Medium mechs just lack the tonnage to run the extreme load outs that the heavy and assault mechs can dominate with. For many situations, some argue that anything a medium can do, a heavy can do better. But detractors aside, medium mechs have time and again proven capable of performance beyond their tonnage. They are an especially good choice for newer pilots, since they are very affordable to buy and load out, and don’t require the same level of skill that light mechs often do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cicada (40 ton)
Spoiler

Blackjack (45 ton)
Spoiler

Centurion (50 ton)
Spoiler

Hunchback (50 ton)
Spoiler

Trebuchet (50 ton)
Spoiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Heavy Mechs (60 to 75 ton)
High Armor, High Firepower, Moderate Mobility.

When you drop into a match with a heavy mech for the first time, you can’t help but think “Sh** just got real”. Compared to light and medium mechs, the heavy mech class is the first one with enough tonnage to bring major firepower to the fight. Though slower than mediums, they still retain enough speed to feel somewhat mobile, with typical speeds ranging from 65 to 80 KPH. But the higher tonnage and ample hard points let them field massive weapon load outs such as dual AC/20, triple PPC, and 6xSRM6. This makes standing in front of a heavy a bad idea, and even Assault mechs need to treat them with respect. Buying and equipping heavy mechs is fairly expensive, but they are capable of some of the most competitive builds in the game.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dragon (60 ton)
Spoiler

Quickdraw (60 ton)
Spoiler

Catapult (65 ton)
Spoiler

Jagermech (65 ton)
Spoiler

Cataphract (70 ton)
Spoiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Assault Mechs (80 to 100 ton)
Very High Armor, High Firepower, Low Mobility.

The massive mechs of the Assault class are the battleships of MechWarrior Online. They are lumbering juggernauts loaded with massive weapons and weighed down by heavy armor. And much like battleships, they are slow to respond and take careful planning to steer. With typical speeds between 45 and 65 KPH, planning ahead is important with an Assault mech, because if it moves to the wrong spot, it’s going to take a long time to reposition. The unresponsive controls also leave them vulnerable to fast moving Light and Medium mechs, who can run circles around most Assaults. But woe to the enemy that lands in the crosshairs of an Assault mech. Builds like the 4xPPC 1xGauss Atlas, the 2xPPC 1xAC20 Highlander, and 6xLarge Laser Stalker, are all examples of how much shear firepower an Assault mech can field. And what they lack in speed, they partially make up for in armor. The Atlas, for example, can carry over 19 tons of armor, almost as much weight as an entire light mech! But all that firepower and armor are useless if the pilot can’t control the slow moving machine, so the Assault mechs are require a good bit of pilot proficiency to avoid becoming a sitting duck for enemy fast movers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Awesome (80 ton)
Spoiler

Stalker (85 ton)
Spoiler

Highlander (90 ton)
Spoiler

Atlas (100 ton)
Spoiler

Thanks for reading. All feedback is appreciated. If this thread gets enough likes I will keep it updated as new mechs come out and major balance changes happen. If not I will be very sad and question my self worth. I encourage discussion about how awesome/awful my reviews are, and will considering changing them if presented with convincing and logical arguments.

Edited by 80Bit, 17 September 2013 - 05:41 AM.

#2 Darwins Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:28 AM

I like the effort that you put into this. I have a couple of comments to make on it, but overall you did a great job.

The first is minor spelling. Death Knell, not Death's Kneel.

The second is in your rating of the BJ-1 vs. BJ-1DC. The 1DC has a lot of trouble using all 6 energy spots, unless you use MGs or no ballistics. 4 energy weapons are bad enough on heat, let alone 6. In addition the added maneuverability of taking even 1JJ makes the BJ-1 better than the BJ-1DC in my opinion.

#3 VagGR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 581 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:35 AM

nice read..i dont agree with everything..but then again its mostly a matter of personal taste...still good post...

and if any of you new guys read this..remember its a review, not the word of God...what i mean is even though this is a good review dont hesitate to try things out for yourselves...you may find success in a mech other people dont..

#4 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:48 AM

I agree with some of your ratings, and I disagree with others. But it's cool, since it's all opinion anyway.

#5 NinetyProof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:52 AM

Nice guide, mostly agree with your assessments.

Issue: JJ nerf has caused some of your recommends to really not *shine* anymore compared.

Highlanders are now not as good as Stalkers, imo, because of the *low* arm mount points. This was not an issue with highlanders and you just *popped up* to acquire a good firing solution so weapon mount points didn't matter. Also, with the JJ nerf, that means even when doing mainly ground / brawler work, the highlander is ground based and it's much easier to sheer off the left torso arm which pretty much makes then useless. Previously, even when brawling the highlander would bunny hop to make it harder to hit them, not the case anymore.

So, your probably going to have to re-adjust your scores every time the meta changes.

#6 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:57 AM

View Post80Bit, on 06 June 2013 - 10:16 AM, said:

This means that unlike the other Dragons, the Flame can mount an AC/20 or dual UAC/5s.

You have a typo there. ;)

#7 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

you can tell what your playstyle is and which mechs you don't pilot by reading that. im not sure comstar can approve your neutrality status for this report.

#8 80Bit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 555 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:24 AM

View PostDarwins Dog, on 06 June 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

I like the effort that you put into this. I have a couple of comments to make on it, but overall you did a great job.

The first is minor spelling. Death Knell, not Death's Kneel.

The second is in your rating of the BJ-1 vs. BJ-1DC. The 1DC has a lot of trouble using all 6 energy spots, unless you use MGs or no ballistics. 4 energy weapons are bad enough on heat, let alone 6. In addition the added maneuverability of taking even 1JJ makes the BJ-1 better than the BJ-1DC in my opinion.

Thanks for the spot, I have corrected that misspelling. As for the BJ-1, I definitely see where you are coming from, and jump jets are usually pretty valuable compared to hard to use extra energy slots. But after playing with different load outs, I just could not find a good reason to use JJs on the BJ-1. Jump shooting AC/2s or AC/5s is a losing proposition, and if you are stuck in a turning battle any BJ is dead to 9 out of 10 mechs anyway. Yeah you can use them to get a good firing position, but making yourself visible on high in a BJ is asking for a PPC to the cockpit.

I was considering BJ-DC1 builds like this. Those medium lasers are not your primary damage, the AC/2s are. But when you are out of ammo or get rushed, you can push out 2-4 30 damage laser Alphas, which I think will save your butt more often than jump jets. You are totally right about how troublesome load outs are however, but I would be inclined to drop the BJ-1DC a star before raising the BJ-1.

View PostNinetyProof, on 06 June 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

Nice guide, mostly agree with your assessments.

Issue: JJ nerf has caused some of your recommends to really not *shine* anymore compared.

Highlanders are now not as good as Stalkers, imo, because of the *low* arm mount points. This was not an issue with highlanders and you just *popped up* to acquire a good firing solution so weapon mount points didn't matter. Also, with the JJ nerf, that means even when doing mainly ground / brawler work, the highlander is ground based and it's much easier to sheer off the left torso arm which pretty much makes then useless. Previously, even when brawling the highlander would bunny hop to make it harder to hit them, not the case anymore.

So, your probably going to have to re-adjust your scores every time the meta changes.

The JJ nerf definitely shook things up. I did change a few ratings, but I am not ready to count every JJ mech out yet. This is for two reasons. First, players can still JJ snipe on the way down, which does raise the skill requirement, but only time will tell by how much. Second, I feel in my gut the JJ changes are likely to be tweaked a bit. I am going to give it some time to shake out before making more changes to the ratings.

And I don't think Highlanders suddenly become inferior to Stalkers even if they are grounded. They still have 5 more tons, torso twist, and ballistic options. Stalkers have no room to talk about vulnerable torsos.

View PostAdridos, on 06 June 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:

You have a typo there. ;)

Thanks, I have corrected that. Still had the Yen-Lo-Wang in my head I think.

#9 80Bit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 555 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

View PostGeist Null, on 06 June 2013 - 11:20 AM, said:

you can tell what your playstyle is and which mechs you don't pilot by reading that. im not sure comstar can approve your neutrality status for this report.

I am interested in the validity of that. Please tell me which mechs I don't pilot. I currently pilot 34% of the mechs reviewed. Tell me 10 mech's I don't pilot, and if you are right about more than 7 of them I will concede your point.

#10 StalaggtIKE

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:11 PM

Despite the fact this is opinion based, you put forth genuine effort. Great job!

Edited by StalaggtIKE, 06 June 2013 - 12:11 PM.

#11 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:02 PM

My unsolicited opinion: CDA-2B should have 2 stars. With Mlas x4 in the arms and a LLas in the CT for instance, it's a force to be reckoned with. It's niche is utilizing terrain elevation differences to its advantage, and on most maps it's totally feasible, but especially so on Alpine, Tourmoline, and Canyon Networks where sharp terrain or steep rises hinder mechs without generous arm movement. It has nearly the alpha of a 2A in this config, but longer reach assuming MLas boating on the 2A. I wrote it off for a while too, but recently found it's calling and it performs this feat admirably, which is positioning itself where it can fire without being fired on.

On Stalkers, I'd give the STK-5S a single star but the STK-5M I would give 3 stars to. The 5S has 2 AMS on it, and no other reason to choose it over the objectively superior 3F. However due to the hardpoint arrangement and how that works with the slots and translates to DHS capacity, the 5M does better brawler builds (MLas/SRM combos) and things like MLas x5 that have better heat management. since you can cram more DHS on it. Misery, 3F and 5M are the good ones, and the 5S and 5N take the backseat for all roles aside from dedicated missileboat.

edit: forgot to mention, EXCELLENT POST IS EXCELLENT! Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

Edited by Loc Nar, 06 June 2013 - 02:04 PM.

#12 80Bit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 555 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:05 PM

After many people let me know that I totally missed the point of the AC/20+Jump Jet capable BJ-1, I have increased it to a 2 star rating. Thank you for the input!

#13 Alftraum

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

IMO the AS7-D is superior to the AS7-RS because of the second ballistic slot, more dakkadakka is always better. So please *** for AS7-D ;) .

As for the others i mostly agree with.

#14 Writer

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

Your rating of the 9M seems a little unfair. Given the Awesome's heat failings, its ability to mount the largest Engines of all Awesomes and the benefits in heat and speed make it an effective direct fire mech and give it a clear advantage over the 8Q. With its giant barn sized hitboxes the speed and distance game is the only thing that keeps the Awesome remotely viable, and the 9M plays into that very well.

The AS7-D deserves its 2 star rating. The D-DC can run 2 Ballistic builds better while loaded up with higher damage SRM's, while the AS7-D just can't compete.

Edited by Rhenis, 06 June 2013 - 02:11 PM.

#15 Alftraum

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:20 PM

D-DC is not RS

#16 Krazy Kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:53 PM

View Post80Bit, on 06 June 2013 - 10:16 AM, said:

The STK-4N is one of three Stalkers that have 6 energy hard points. The other two also have 4 missile hard points, while the 4N only has 3. It gains no quirk or feature to make up for the missing hard point. I suspect that this variant will be changed or tweaked in the future to give it some sort of reason to exist, but right now it is completely inferior in every way to not one, but two other Stalkers. It is literally the last mech I would ever buy.

The 4N can equip a command console. While this is worthless now, it might be a reason to want one in the future.

#17 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:12 PM

View Post80Bit, on 06 June 2013 - 11:28 AM, said:

I am interested in the validity of that. Please tell me which mechs I don't pilot. I currently pilot 34% of the mechs reviewed. Tell me 10 mech's I don't pilot, and if you are right about more than 7 of them I will concede your point.

well the first part has an extremely valid point, your list is very biased, you said the atlas rs is amazing because it can put 55 dm in one spot but if its ballistic weapon gets destroyed your screwed and the catapult a1 unfortunately needs to get in close to be dangerous, you never say anything pertaining to their chassis specific strengths, such as the rs having the most firepower against opponents more then 80 degrees off center compared to other atlases (helping for brawling set-ups)

this list is based on the builds you use and doesn't take into account things like torso twist and having arms, viewing angle hard point location and other things that affect the chassis as a whole and not just how awesome your one build is, you could also talk about the pros and cons of having weapons in certain places, like rs energy weapons can be bigger and aimed better but are more easily lost while atlas d will have weapons until it dies (never mentioned most of that stuff, neither was the 2nd ballistic slot on the atlas D, you just said rs atlas is better with all energies in arms and ddc is uber awesome because extra missile slot and ecm, dont you think new players would like to know the fully detailed facts of each chassis and not a mildly detailed comparison between chassis based on a very narrow perspective?)
you can do better

having 24 mechs doesn't make you an instant expert

Edited by Just wanna play, 06 June 2013 - 05:22 PM.

#18 Sam Slade

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationMega city 1

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:32 PM

The jumpjet change and SRM HSR has significantly boosted the 'brawl factor' in the HIghlander Classs... specifically the 733C is possibly the best brawler currently available even with an upgraded engine and max JJ. How does that weigh into your ratings?

Also, what the guy above me said: the Atlas RS is an easy takedown... blast away side torso. Suddenly it's a really bid Medium firepower wise. Atlas D is a zombie without equal.

These are my opinions and many will not agree... I didn't take other factors into account.

Edited by Sam Slade, 06 June 2013 - 05:36 PM.

#19 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:35 PM

Welp. Much better than the original tier list. Going to read it more thoroughly soon.

So far still disagree with the Raven 4X in terms of 'useless ballistics'. 3 Jumpjets + AC/20 and it does things a lot of mechs can't do until the recent Blackjack. Closed beta it's greatest feature is Jump-droping on an Atlas's head and knocking him over to do a shot to the eye while it's helpless. Nowadays you jump over assaults, shoot them in the back, and jump over 'em again (so long as they're not packing 6 ER PPCs).

Then again most people associate Raven with harassment or scouting or anti-light activities. I associate the Raven 4x with toe to toe brawling against assaults at 86 kph and cunning. The 2x I associate with sniping.

Hope I get to see you when knockdowns come back; after seeing me out there I betcha the 4x will have two stars!

View PostSam Slade, on 06 June 2013 - 05:32 PM, said:

The jumpjet change and SRM HSR has significantly boosted the 'brawl factor' in the HIghlander Classs... specifically the 733C is possibly the best brawler currently available even with an upgraded engine and max JJ. How does that weigh into your ratings?

I agree. Personally I have two brawlanders. The 733P and the Heavy Metal; both are exceptionally good at what they do. I'll be getting the C soon.

#20 Lindonius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:39 PM

On the whole a nice review. I was preparing to beat you down if you suggested that the TDK was a bad mech but you summed it up quite well.

I would put the Jenner F above the Jenner D. Certainly at higher skill levels.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users