How To Be A Better Pilot. Use A Joystick! (No Joke!)

63 replies to this topic

#1 Valder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationQQmercs.com

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:34 AM

Hey all,

If you're looking to boost your game, you should start running with a joystick on your left, rather than the keyboard (you still use the mouse on the right). This gives you a ton of benefits that I go over in the demonstration video here.

Hope this helps some of you out!

#2 Colby Boucher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 285 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:53 PM

Wow... I never would have thought of that

#3 Ningyo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:16 PM

Hmm always thought one would be pretty nice for the movement part but don't have one. That makes it look about 10 times better than I expected though. Hmm now to go buy one sometime hehe.

By the way very good video I really like the part about making sure you get a good one for your left hand as that is something I could have easily forgotten to do.

#4 Valder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationQQmercs.com

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:23 PM

Glad I could help =D

#5 FEK315

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 337 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:18 AM

Great Video! I have been wondering how good they work in MWO. I used to use a Cyborg Evo in MW4.
Thankyou

#6 Arete

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 390 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:47 AM

I've been thinking of doing this too, don't have any joystick left though. Thinking of getting a cheap one and see what happens :-)

#7 Mokou

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 417 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:27 AM

Without real neurohelmet joystic is just spike nail.

#8 Arete

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 390 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:48 PM

Said and done, I went ahead and got me one of those fly 5 joysticks for about 50€.

Was awkward as hell in the beginning, but after a few rounds it started to make sense. Still some weirdness with the game for joysticks, controlling throttle with the X axle works but if you bring up the map/chat/view the score board it resets to zero :-/

But I must say, the level of control when doing fast stops/turns makes a difference and it's great for throwing off the aim of an opponent. I'd recommend anyone that has a joystick to try it :-)

Edited by Arete, 12 June 2013 - 02:49 PM.

#9 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

maybe you could also provide a config file or video for left handed setup of the joystick

#10 Markusow81

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:41 AM

I tried playing with a joystick at first, and with the left hand. Because I naturally am left handed.
I do prefer playing mech and other vehicle simulated games with a trigger-type joystick.
Though, I have read a lot of topics on how mouse and keyboard actually make it easier.
Even from experience. So, is there any way to speed up axis rotation to match the mouse?
Also using a joytick I found I get pounded a lot faster than I can aim, turn, and shoot back.

Mine is a Seitek Cyborg 3D Gold Joystick BTW. Inspired for Jet simulation. So, you'de think its supposed to react fast.

Edited by Markusow81, 13 June 2013 - 09:00 AM.

#11 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:59 AM

I'll stick with my N52te....

#12 Markusow81

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:46 AM

View PostWerewolf486, on 13 June 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

I'll stick with my N52te....

Hah you want to know something funny. I got one of those 2 weeks ago on my own research, hoping it would do better than using a mouse or joystick. But, still I can never seem to find the perfect balance for my tecnique in this game between using the keyboard and some other controller....

It appears to be designed for left handed people. I think the main problem I have with it is that it was designed with the w,s,a,d layout in mind, which I personaly despise... But, to be perfectly honest most key bindings best fit for it, I would rather use my right hand on a keypad like that. Not gonna happen... More gamepad designers need to allow adjustable left/right hand controls.

It's basically a crime against gamers not too LOL... And I've been getting tired of it over the years.

Edited by Markusow81, 13 June 2013 - 10:15 AM.

#13 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:55 AM

I've been meaning to try this - the only thing that has stopped me is that my joystick is molded for the right hand (old Sidewinder 2), so using it with my left hand is a bit awkward.

So instead I've basically been using the joystick only, except for those occasions where I'm sniping and can slip my right hand to a nearby mouse. Not ideal, but it works. Ish.

#14 Socipat

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:34 PM

If You really want to get wicked than go with a dual pro system ( don't rember the name of the actual stick system). it gives you a stick with a top hat (a mini stick on top of the stick) for torso twist, the stick for turning, 5 fire buttons, a throttle stick with 5 fire buttons. Set up the right way and you don't need a key board. Used that to rule the roost back in the day.... but it finally broke on me and I can't find a new one! :)

#15 Jeremy Wade

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:14 PM

Amazing video!

This never even occurred to me. Definitely going to give it a try.

#16 Phaesphoros

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:54 AM

I've been using a WiiMote's Nunchuk in my left hand for analog turning for months now. Written a program to translate the WiiMote HID to a virtual Joystick so that MWO can use the input.

It might not be the best analog controller, but I didn't had to buy anything (also requires a BlueTooth receiver).

Guess it's similar to your approach, but I've programmed such that the y-axis is a relative throttle control: If I push it forward, the throttle increases etc but if I just leave it in the 0-position, the throttle stays the same.

#17 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:52 AM

so for the lulz I reset my joystick like this, and I have to say that it was very effective. Still have pinpoint mouse aiming, but all sorts of good control with the left hand.

Only two issues for me - the molded joystick is slightly uncomfortable, and my mouse is a standard 2-button, so I lose a couple buttons. I never really used them all anyway so that's no big deal (until I need something like jump jets), but I'd love to buy a better mouse and stick with it.

#18 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:55 AM

Many ppl agree that a throttle/pedal/mouse for aiming combo is as good as it gets with the MWO control model. Surprising so many ppl have no knowledge of this.

Good on you for popularising this concept (again)

#19 Ivan Bloodguard

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 20 posts
  • LocationColorado, USA

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:29 AM

As someone who would far prefer to be playing with a joystick, I play MW:O much better without it. I tried for a month or so, but the torso twist is pathetic and a joystick/mouse combo still ends up being joystick/mouse/keyboard, which is just too much work. And, as mentioned previously, the right-hand molded grip didn't help, either. Buddy of mine had the same experience, both of our sticks just collect dust now.

#20 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:34 AM

This is why I ultimately I prefer something like the Logitech G13 pad or the N52te. The thumbstick gives all of the throttle response and maneuver advantages of the joystick (and the fluid movement "feel" that **** immersion), while allowing me the precision of mouse targeting. And the ability to attack specifically bound keys on the pad vice the various positions on joysticks works great as well.

Glad to see folks embracing the JS....just know it works better for me with the thumbstick :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users