How To Be A Better Pilot. Use A Joystick! (No Joke!)

63 replies to this topic

#41 FEK315

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 337 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:46 PM

What is a good Joystick mouse combo, (Brands and type)?
For example an Evo Cyborg and Logitech G13 is a great combo.

I mouse with my left and key with my right. I used to play MW4 with the Cyborg and it worked great, I had all the buttons I needed on the stick. Its kind of a 2 handed stick if you look at it. I used to play Steel Battalion Link of contact with the 2 joystick one gear shift, 40 button and three peddle controller. (It was Fantastic!!!)

This is my past but now I don't want to "get set up to play" using the mouse would be fine if it was good, but the smooth throttling and twisting seems to be easier with the Joystick.

Any thoughts?
BTW: I sold my SB controllers for 80 dollars more then I bought them for 6 years later... :)
I do have the joystick set up for Ace combat 6 I haven't tried it yet. My guess it needs scripts to make it work right for MWO.

Any thoughts?

#42 Valder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationQQmercs.com

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:19 PM

You can make the steel battalion controller work for mwo, but it does need special software and an original xbox to usb adapter (easy to make if you have a controller cord and usb cord you're willing to hack up). I have the adapter from my days hacking original xboxes but I've never bothered trying to hook up my SB controller to the computer because I feel it would be a much clunkier setup than what I'm currently using.

Right now I'm using a Saitek Cyborg X joystick with a Razer Hex mouse. I think it's a perfect combination for the game as both support some-what fully features macro software. The only issue I have is that the joystick has that tendancy to tilt forward unless you apply downward pressure. I've been thinking about swapping out the spring to fix this, but it's not a big enough issue for me to worry about yet.

The joystick is compatible to use with the left hand, adjusts in MANY different ways for a comfortable fit, and I really dig the software for it. Once you spend a little while learning it you can make very robust macros for UAC, AC2, TAG laser staying on all match, and more. It's actually more powerful than the razer software when it comes to making macros.

The razer hex mouse is great for the game as well. Out-of-the-box with no software you can plug it in and have all 6 of the thumb buttons correspond to your weapon groups 1-6. This is great for Large Laser boat or PPC boat builds as it lets you put each on an individual trigger, and then have a group fire/chainfire setup for your left and right click. It gives you a super level of control, but is also simple enough to use that there's practically no learning curve. The buttons are very easy to distinguish between, even when you're not looking at the mouse unlike the razer naga with the 'telephone touchpad' under your thumb. When you install the razer software and get into the world of macros, it's also easy to set it up for UAC, AC2, and other macros. Also, the DPI can be changed on the fly easily (I set the two buttons under the mousewheel to raise or lower DPI) so that you can have lower sensitivity for those long-range precision shots and high sensitivity the rest of time.

Together, they give such a level of control that you could never imagine playing without them. Not only is your movement more fluid and your aiming more precise, but you also never have to take your hands off the movement controls to preform any in-game action. It takes 10-20 matches to get used to the joystick, and after that it's perfection =D

#43 FEK315

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 337 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

This is awesome thank you!
It looks like the Saitek Cyborg X is a 2 handed stick. Do you not use the throttle or lower buttons?

I was thinking of Joystick right hand and Mouse left.

Edited by FEK315, 30 June 2013 - 04:41 PM.

#44 Valder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationQQmercs.com

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

Yeah, it's usually used as a two handed stick, but since I use the throttle to power my TAG laser the whole match, I use use it in my left, with the mouse in my right for precise aiming.

#45 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

I've been doing something similar, where I use my left hand on the joystick and my right on the mouse. It does mean ignoring the throttle and some of the buttons on the base, but I honestly don't miss those. Frankly, with a better mouse (rather than my old 2-button mouse) I'd gain more buttons than I lose - if I had a 5 button mouse on my right hand I'd be net +1 button.

#46 Crashingmail

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 311 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

Thats how i played MW3 some time ago, too bad that my new jostick is only for right hand :D and using the mouse on left isnt working for me.

#47 Burner

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:00 AM

Hotas Warthog (Throttle) + Saitek Combat Rudders + Mouse for now. I hope that someday they fix the torso movements with the joystick.

#48 David CB

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 13 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCR, Spain

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

I don't care if somebody says I'm lacking accuracy, the game isn't the same without this.

Posted Image

Edited by David CB, 29 December 2013 - 10:55 AM.

#49 Kragg Relluf

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:39 PM

View PostBurner, on 02 July 2013 - 07:00 AM, said:

Hotas Warthog (Throttle) + Saitek Combat Rudders + Mouse for now. I hope that someday they fix the torso movements with the joystick.

As Burner said, the Hotas Warthog throttle works well. I did try flight sim pedals for a bit, but ended up using the throttle's slew control for steering. This is another analog control that is on the Warthog throttle. This gives you a true throttle for speed control and an analog turning device - you basically get what was shown in the video. There are also plenty of buttons and switches on the throttle. Among them, there are two hats that work well for triggering weapon groups.

For a mouse, I use and recommend the Cyborg MMO7 - it's got something like 12 buttons and 2 modes for a total of 24 commands.

#50 Corbon Zackery

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

might have to add a small heat build to the tag so you can't just leave it on with out your mech blowing up but otherwise if works for you go for it.

#51 Maj Motoko Kusanagi

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

I agree with op...I am from a flight simulator background and so my set is as follows

Throttle quadrant for mech throttle
Rudder pedals for left right movement
Joystick twist action for torso twist

It was hard to get used to in the beginning, but now I cannot play without it (the mouse just feels weird).

#52 Valder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationQQmercs.com

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

View PostKabenla Armah, on 02 July 2013 - 02:51 PM, said:

I agree with op...I am from a flight simulator background and so my set is as follows

Throttle quadrant for mech throttle
Rudder pedals for left right movement
Joystick twist action for torso twist

It was hard to get used to in the beginning, but now I cannot play without it (the mouse just feels weird).

Hm, not sure if you actually checked out the video. I use a mouse along with the joystick =D

#53 Sun Ce

Rookie

• Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

Personally I use dual sticks. Right is for looking and fire control, left is for movement and vision and override commands. If I use an lrm boat I have a tag system mapped to the left stick and fire control of lrm's on right ohh and i use a foot pedal from a flight sim i got for 20 bones to so to do jets and braking / centering

Edited by Sun Ce, 02 July 2013 - 08:18 PM.

#54 SJ SCP Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 302 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:59 AM

Joystick on the left to control legs.....Mouse on the right for precise torso and arm movement.

Profit.

Edited by SJ SCP Wolf, 03 July 2013 - 01:02 AM.

#55 greendeer

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:17 AM

i'm glad to see Mw again....i just have 1 match played just to see how it works...
i was wandering using an xbox 360 pad maybe the game will be similar to mechassault
anyone tried a console pad???

#56 Valder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationQQmercs.com

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:03 PM

View Postgreendeer, on 03 July 2013 - 05:17 AM, said:

i'm glad to see Mw again....i just have 1 match played just to see how it works...
i was wandering using an xbox 360 pad maybe the game will be similar to mechassault
anyone tried a console pad???

I know you can definitely bind the pad to controls, I use an xbox controller/headset for teamspeak and the damn mech kept stopping on me all the time until I realized a recent patch auto-bound it to commands in the options. I haven't actually tried to play with it tho, once I realized what was going on, I unbound it and started using a lefty joystick instead.

#57 Striker1980

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 539 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, no where, somewhere, generally the utility room in my house in the UK.

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:27 AM

Valder sorry to resurrect an old thread, you are a genius!

I only just stumbled on this thread whilst looking to see if they fixed Right handed joysticks, had no idea it'd be so easy to set up the left as basically an advanced HOTAS, my only regret is the loss of a fixed linear throttle but setting it for TAG is brilliant!

#58 sneeking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:03 AM

View PostWerewolf486, on 13 June 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

I'll stick with my N52te....

its what I use also, I did try mapping my logitech freedom to left hand but none of the axis wanted to respond properly.

#59 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:05 PM

I did not know that a joystick gave you the ability to turn in smaller increments... I must consider a purchase...

That being said, I've never seen anyone being down on using a joystick to move - it's using a non-zero-order joystick to aim that gets justly ridiculed. =)

#60 Smitti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 475 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFrog-blasting between BioVent Core #88A and #88B

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:14 PM

I tried using an old logitech extreme 3d pro for movement control, it worked quite well except for the awkward grip (right-handed stick) and I was still freshly learning the game so did a lot of running into walls/losing orientation.

I'd definitely give it another go with an ambidextrous one, just need to get ministerial approval for the purchase:P

Edited by Smittiferous, 07 December 2013 - 10:15 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users