The Current Player Count Must Be Very Low

315 replies to this topic

#61 Team Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:46 AM

Threads like this make me sad because they make it look like theres no hope for this game :)

#62 Zerstorer Stallin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 683 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:49 AM

View PostTeam Leader, on 13 June 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

Threads like this make me sad because they make it look like theres no hope for this game :)

There is vary little hope for this game in its current state, and as long as the person who's making the current choices are allowed to stay and continue making those bad choices.

#63 Felbombling

• 2,978 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:50 AM

I popped into the media section to get a glimpse of the Victor and noticed this. I am not sure how much of an indication this is as to how healthy Mechwarrior: Online is right now. It could be the length of time between artwork reveals. It could be the fragmentation of the forums. It could be the the length of time the Victor and Quickdraw have been available... but the numbers are interesting, all the same.

Page views of concept art:

80063: Atlas concept
45576: Atlas founders
52181: Hunchback concept
31720: Hunchback founders
48663: Jenner concept
27047: Jenner founders
74193: Catapult concept
43388: Catapult founders

68620: Dragon concept
72784: Centurion concept
61083: Commando concept
63892: Raven concept
77605: Awesome concept
55981: Cicada concept
48285: Trebuchet concept
62919: Stalker concept
70848: Cataphract concept
44002: Flea concept
57910: Jagermech concept
47192: Spider concept
44522: Orion concept
38929: Blackjack concept
45928: Highlander concept
7995: Victor concept
3346: Quickdraw concept

#64 Zerstorer Stallin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 683 posts

View PostIceSerpent, on 13 June 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

I am kind of in the same boat, except I am fairly certain that PGI won't figure it out, but there's a small chance that they will sell the game to some development shop that is a tad more competent.

View PostIceSerpent, on 13 June 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

I am kind of in the same boat, except I am fairly certain that PGI won't figure it out, but there's a small chance that they will sell the game to some development shop that is a tad more competent.

It would be a dream come true.

#65 Volthorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Canadia

That's what the doomsayers want you to think, so that you'll leave and their predictions become a little more true.

#66 Monky

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:51 AM

I've seen this in both MWO and warthunder, the thing is, warthunder tells you how many people are in queue for all their tiers (which is something I LIKE about it, MWO devs), and you'll see the same 15-30 people match after match. It isn't ELO - it's that there are just that few people available to play with. The game says 10k online usually, but those people are not in matches and just sitting around in their hangar.

MWO's numbers are likely similar, maybe lower, due to the fact that ELO will eventually cram everyone together in MWO, compared to warthunder's tiering system.

#67 Zerstorer Stallin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 683 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:51 AM

View PostJokerVictor, on 13 June 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

Should be fairly obvious now that this game is a total con-job. If they don't fix the current problems and prove that the promised features aren't just vaporware... well, doesn't take a genius to see where it's going. Hopefully it just dies quickly so another developer can take a crack at Mechwarrior. The sales figures of the founders packages prove there's a market for a good MW title, shame this one has missed the mark so completely.

I posted this list in another thread awhile back, but seems appropriate to bring it up again. Want to know why the player counts are so low? Well...

Some fun reminders of all the things this game was supposed to have by now:
  • Dropship mode
  • Asymmetrical Objective modes
  • DX11
  • Lobbies
  • In-Game Voice
  • 12 v 12
  • Community Warfare
  • CLANS, ************* CLANS WERE SCHEDULED TO BE OUT BY NOW

I'd add the promise they made of No 3rd person, No Coolant, and a sim not a FPS to this list as well.

#68 Gallowglas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:52 AM

I wouldn't pay it too much mind. Game forum lurkers are almost universally negative. There have been doom and gloom predictions about the death of World of Warcraft for a decade now. Ultimately, what does it matter what anyone else thinks? You can't control how many people play. All you can do is play if you enjoy it, don't if you don't, and offer feedback as seems appropriate. Anything else is just angst.

For those complaining about the removal of the player counter: what possible real good does having such a thing do? Comfort you that there are "enough" people playing? It's doubtful. More likely it would just fuel more "OMG THE GAME IS DYING!!!!" posts. We have enough of that already.

#69 Acid Phase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 553 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:54 AM

Well you remember the whole "removing the general discussions" fiasco? "Because of too much negativity". What did PGI expect? That we were going to sugar coat issues? The negative feedbacks were a harsh reality that had to be addressed by PGI. Did they think negative feedback was going to stop? How can they expect their community to say "Don't worry about a thing. MWO is working great. Perfectly playable"....The negative feedbacks are meant to fuel them into correcting errors. I can't lie to them and say the game is great because it's far from it.

#70 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

Although I have been a critic on many things, I can't agree with OP, because I don't drop against the same players regularly. Plus, I know PGI can stretch the truth a little (and I don't think they ever mean to deceive anyone), but it was less than 2 months ago in Bryan's Reddit chat that he said there were thousands of games being played at any one time. I stressed this in many posts, but being conservative and taking the plural thousands, as only meaning 2, that's 32,000 playing at any one time. Not sure how he could be talking about anything else or confusing the question. I don't think 30K+ has left in the past 2 months.

#71 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:56 AM

^ Haha. Its kind of like the George Lucas Affect!

#72 IceSerpent

• 3,044 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:57 AM

IMHO the only hope is for somebody (PGI or a different shop) to go back to drawing board, create a detailed design for weapon balance, matchmaker rules, and CW (a solid design that allows everything to fit together) and implement it. Technically it's doable within a reasonable timeframe (i.e. a good team should be able to pull it off and launch in September), but I don't get the feeling that PGI is even trying.

#73 Zerstorer Stallin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 683 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:58 AM

View PostCoolant, on 13 June 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

Although I have been a critic on many things, I can't agree with OP, because I don't drop against the same players regularly. Plus, I know PGI can stretch the truth a little (and I don't think they ever mean to deceive anyone), but it was less than 2 months ago in Bryan's Reddit chat that he said there were thousands of games being played at any one time. I stressed this in many posts, but being conservative and taking the plural thousands, as only meaning 2, that's 32,000 playing at any one time. Not sure how he could be talking about anything else or confusing the question. I don't think 30K+ has left in the past 2 months.

if the number of players is 30k It would be down 70% or more. Plus I know a lot of the larger groups that where in to play this have already left.

#74 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:02 AM

Don't worry, regional servers and 3PV are going to fix this, honest.

#75 JokerVictor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 515 posts
  • LocationA happy place far from this bitter wasteland

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:16 AM

View PostJasen, on 13 June 2013 - 11:01 AM, said:

I don't know whats worse. The noobness of your statement, or the noobness of the 20 people that liked it..

Here: for the pug scrubs:

I said: practice our LMS drop decks.

For those that obviously dont know: LMS = Last Mech Standing - A LEAGUE

A drop deck is a specific config you have to drop with... in this case we were practicing the 375tons or BELOW deck. We were running 5 cents, 2 cicadas, and a blackjack...

Not a single assault, and I dont think we had a single PPC on the team.

So, before you open your scrub mouth, learn that not everyone is cheap like your associates, and there is a higher level of play than just randomly clicking "ready" in any random mech.

And you idiots that like it... well... you're worse. Bandwaggon noobs.

Bro, my scanners detect that you might be mad.

Isn't nice that those 8-man queues are completely empty so you can conveniently do that league play. That league play that is currently halted because the game is f*cked.

As most of you know, we have been talking about the new LRM update and its potential issues. I've read comments and have talked to a lot of the team leaders of all the brackets. I spoke with PGI and others on different TS servers, so after doing my homework, i've decided to halt the bracket.

Anyone with a fight scheduled right now can do your fight if you wish. If both teams agree, then carry on. But the round will not advance till the 29th.

Now i am sure you're asking yourself, wait kerb, thats not when they release a fix, that's too soon. YUP!

We are halting, not for a fix to be put in place, champions adapt. We are halting long enough for you all to adapt to this new problem only. Scheduled fights will resume on the 29th.

As stated in the rules somewhere in all this mess, that the league will not stop play unless the updates make the game unplayable. That is not the case here.

I've read that teams can voluntarily postpone your matches by not scheduling. The rounds start...

Edit: I should put a point on here. Right, so the point is that league play is awesome and all well and good. If the rest of the game had the same rulesets it would be in a helluva lot better spot. But it doesn't, and the team full of stalker PPC boats is the current reality in most matches. Sh*tty, but true.

You shouldn't fly off the handle on the guy for stating a simple observation. And the fact that your league is halted is pretty indicative of the state of things.

Edited by JokerVictor, 13 June 2013 - 11:30 AM.

#76 Thuzel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

View PostVolthorne, on 13 June 2013 - 10:50 AM, said:

That's what the doomsayers want you to think, so that you'll leave and their predictions become a little more true.

Not all of us.

I really really really want this game to succeed. You have no idea how much I'd love to have a fully fleshed-out modern mechwarrior game to play. I don't even care if there are some things about it I don't like, so long as it's enjoyable and somewhere close to the franchise.

The reason myself and a lot of others are critical about some aspects of this game, is because we want it to succeed. We want it to live for the next few decades and be a place where we can come and enjoy the BT universe (even if it has deviated somewhat). We truly want that success, but we can't lie to ourselves or to PGI. We know that blind fanboyism will kill it faster than anything else, and so we'd rather be honest and hated, than liars with no game to enjoy.

#77 Gevurah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 500 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:30 AM

World of warcraft has millions of players; when I do arena I frequently come across the same teams over and over again because my ELO during those matches so closely mirrors theirs. That and I am queuing at a similar time as them.

Don't take it as an indication of player base. If anything, it shows that they have a larger player base than we expect; otherwise you'd be grouped with far wider varieties of player ELOs as the system rushed to fill the missing spots.

#78 xDeityx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:31 AM

View PostVolthorne, on 13 June 2013 - 10:50 AM, said:

That's ridiculous. Most of the "doomsayers" are just people looking at the signs right in front of their faces and pointing them out. Most of them probably have a good bit of money invested into the game as well, so to say they are just fear-mongering so that they can be right on (if they are right what will be a dead) internet forum just lacks any sign that you thought about what you typed before you spewed it out.

The "doomsayers" are the people who recognize the potential the game has and are saying, "hey turn this cart around before we go over the cliff!"

#79 Acid Phase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 553 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

View PostJasen, on 13 June 2013 - 11:01 AM, said:

*snip*

That's great and all, but if you and your "league" don't fall under that category then you have nothing to worry about and the time it took for you to type this whole mess was a waste. Good for you and your boys. Keep fighting the good fight. Just don't overheat. Remember, there's coolant for that.

#80 xDeityx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

View PostGevurah, on 13 June 2013 - 11:30 AM, said:

World of warcraft has millions of players; when I do arena I frequently come across the same teams over and over again because my ELO during those matches so closely mirrors theirs. That and I am queuing at a similar time as them.

Don't take it as an indication of player base. If anything, it shows that they have a larger player base than we expect; otherwise you'd be grouped with far wider varieties of player ELOs as the system rushed to fill the missing spots.

Whoa, this is very misleading.

Aren't those milions of players divided up into servers and battlegroups? I haven't played in years but when I did this is how it worked. Usually about 2,000 players per server (and only a very small fraction of those would PvP much less do arenas) and I can't remember but I want to say maybe 10ish servers per battlegroup. When you bring the matchmaking system into play further splitting the player pool by skill and the fact that all of the people in Arenas are split between 2v2, 3v3, and 5v5 queues, what you said is borderline irrelevant.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users