Bap And Ecm

9 replies to this topic

#1 HeavyMetalRider

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:52 PM

If a 'Mech is equipped with BAP and ECM and the 'Mech is hit by PPC fire, temporarily disabling ECM, then shouldn't BAP become the active counter for that duration?

#2 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

In theory, yes. Since PPCs don't disable BAP (I dunno why that is the case), it sounds about right.

#3 Umbra8

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 176 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:18 PM

As I understood it BAP would be an active counter in any case, such that a mech equipped with both would not need to turn on jamming mode as the BAP would suppress enemy ECM within range regardless.

#4 Mercules

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:45 PM

View PostUmbra8, on 14 June 2013 - 04:18 PM, said:

As I understood it BAP would be an active counter in any case, such that a mech equipped with both would not need to turn on jamming mode as the BAP would suppress enemy ECM within range regardless.

This is incorrect. A mech with BAP and ECM has the ECM overrule the BAP countering enemy ECM. They need to flip ECM modes to counter other ECM. I've actually considered just running BAP and no ECM on my Commando.

#5 kilgor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 347 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:01 PM

Yeah, considering we have to sacrifice tonnage, BAP and ECM should be able to counter an ECM while letting yours stay active. It would make others have to run BAP and ECM or just have everyone run BAP.

#6 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:49 PM

View Postkilgor, on 14 June 2013 - 09:01 PM, said:

Yeah, considering we have to sacrifice tonnage, BAP and ECM should be able to counter an ECM while letting yours stay active. It would make others have to run BAP and ECM or just have everyone run BAP.

No.

If 1 mech can counter 2 mechs worth of ECM, that's a problem. It's almost like how two ECM mechs effectively "cover" each other... you need 2 mechs to properly counter 2 ECM mechs. Otherwise, it becomes another war to put on BAP to kill ECM altogether. Compare this to the days where ECM was just deployed where you had to have your own ECM to counter your enemy. That's just wrong on many levels.

#7 Unbound Inferno

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:28 PM

It gets worse once you get more into battletech information on the Angel ECM - that is supposed to be able to counter TWO Guardian ECM or require two to counter it.

This frenkenstien ECM and hodgepodge BAP role reversal needs a more serious overhaul than these continual bandaid fixes before rationales like this become needed later.

Oh, do I fear clan tech balancing later with all this already....

#8 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:34 PM

BAP and ECM should allow you to counter two enemy ECMs :).

#9 Unbound Inferno

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:36 PM

Oh and there it starts....

BAP and ECM should be soft-counters buffs and hindrances - not this on/off switch where we need to start thinking we need all those hard-counters all the time.

#10 Lord Rip

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationBehind You!

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:32 PM

I think it would be nice if having both just meant you didn't have to change to counter mode on the ECM. If you were in range BAP would counter an oponent ECM and disable your own ECM, but the second you left the range to counter your ECM would automatically begin disrupting again. that way there would be SOME benefit to having both but it would be somewhat nerfed when compared to having both fully functional on one mech.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users