Heavy Vs. The World Leaderboard Challenge!

128 replies to this topic

#61 BINDLETORC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 163 posts
  • Locationhaliburton, ON. CANADA

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

View PostWVAnonymous, on 22 June 2013 - 01:18 PM, said:

As a devoted pure PUGger, I find the complaints of the team players interesting, particularly the complaints against PGI/IGP being "foolish" enough to keep running solo tournaments. In the complete absence of data, I'm going make two statements.

First, I assume that the goal of these tournaments, splashed across the front page next to "download now", is to bring in NEW PLAYERS, who are not going to be in teams.

Second, I assume that a substantial majority of the MWO player base (including the substantial majority of the paying player base) are PUGs, and the tournaments are an attempt to bring some of the spirit of an ongoing competition to the PUG base.

8v8 tournament ladders already give those players some broader measures of their performance. Solo-only tournaments supplies some context for the rest of us until there is some actual CW introduced.

EDIT: In Europe with the family for two weeks and the wife wouldn't let me buy a gaming portable after I saw the announcement "just so you can play your stupid game instead of being with your family". (I'm paraphrasing, but that's what she really meant. :) )

Thank you. Also pure PUG. There are some great players out there kicking my ***. I have been playing this tourney and having a blast. Thanks PGI/IGP for thinking of me and the majority of players.Teams are great and you have the opportunity to team play all the time. Right now you get to PUG it up and see how your skills really measure up.

See you down range.

#62 grayson marik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:10 AM

View Postbindletorc, on 22 June 2013 - 05:14 PM, said:

Thank you. Also pure PUG. There are some great players out there kicking my ***. I have been playing this tourney and having a blast. Thanks PGI/IGP for thinking of me and the majority of players.Teams are great and you have the opportunity to team play all the time. Right now you get to PUG it up and see how your skills really measure up.

See you down range.

Yeah and because you think to be the majority of players, PGI is absolutely right to deny itself an other 10-25% more cash from the "organized players"...

And by the way the term "teaming up" you used, might be completely different in meaning for pure pug players and organized ones.

And to make it clear: by labeling the tournament to be "yet an other single player challenge" I do not go against you PUG guys. I indeed respect your desire to play as you like to play. My point however is, that there is a noticeable hunger for organized team matches, tournaments and even some community driven small challenges besides the big PGI events.
( 3025 stock tournament, last mech standing, inner sphere wars, etc etc etc --> all in all >1000 players at least.)

And PGI is 100% only catering to you guys while leaving many many organized players to rot in the sun while advertising this game as a team game.

And all this, while implementing a raw drop group vs group thingy would be as much as maybe 50 man hours of work.

So, please don't get my complaint to be a complaint against PUG players, I sometimes like to PUG too. But seeing this game going down the drain for most of the BT fans, who first contributed a lot of money to PGI... is rather frustrating!

#63 OliverTwisted

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:01 AM

Where do I find the current tournament standings?

#64 Kageru Ikazuchi

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:12 AM

@grayson ... you're absolutely right ... the solo-only tournaments are getting old, but if it helps PGI gather the data they need to make upcoming features better when it's time for the game to officially launch, then good. I mostly PUG, but cannot wait for some of our expectations to be filled with U.I. 2.0 and Community Warfare.

@oliver ... http://mwomercs.com/tournaments

#65 damoonrulz

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:49 AM

I hate working weekends. I was no. 6 on the Dragon board Friday night, but then I had to work from 5am-630pm Saturday and 5a-130p then 430p-730p today. Really cuts down on my time to grind out wins, and by the time I even get home to play I'm exhausted. Still sitting at No. 22, which is still something to be proud of.

I wish they'd reveal the top 5 places in each category's loadouts. I'd like to know just how slanted the game is to high-alpha builds vs. balanced builds.

I personally use DRG-FANG XL300 DHS ES LB10X SRM6 3MLAS.

#66 Reggimus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 341 posts
  • LocationQueenstown, New Zealand

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:02 PM

View Postdamoonrulz, on 23 June 2013 - 07:49 AM, said:

I wish they'd reveal the top 5 places in each category's loadouts. I'd like to know just how slanted the game is to high-alpha builds vs. balanced builds.

Personally I think this is what these tourneys are for, to check the flavour of cheese.

That beeng said, its not a bad way to do it.. a little fun, a little reward.. good idea really.

Now if we can see a Lance v.s the world type tourney that'd be good. 4 players, 10 best games, max drop weight of team 500 ton.. or something similar.

#67 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:09 PM

/facepalm

I just now realized that I haven't actually opted-in for this tournament yet.

Oh well, maybe next time. Not as if I was going to be in the top 5 of any of these categories anyway, and also not as if they were going to actually give any useful stats, like the total number of players that did opt in and had points in each category.

If they did that, we could at least know our standing amongst the tournament participants. If they keep doing it the same way as the previous tourneys, if you're not one of the qualifiers for a prize, it doesn't really matter at all where you placed, especially if you're not one of the top 15. Give us some baseline to compare ourselves against already!

#68 Kageru Ikazuchi

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:16 PM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 23 June 2013 - 05:09 PM, said:

Oh well, maybe next time. Not as if I was going to be in the top 5 of any of these categories anyway, and also not as if they were going to actually give any useful stats, like the total number of players that did opt in and had points in each category.

If they did that, we could at least know our standing amongst the tournament participants. If they keep doing it the same way as the previous tourneys, if you're not one of the qualifiers for a prize, it doesn't really matter at all where you placed, especially if you're not one of the top 15. Give us some baseline to compare ourselves against already!

See my post on page two of this thread ...

#69 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:21 PM

Now with these tournaments, just how many people are there playing?

With the lights I should be around 500 and the assaults 1500 or lower.

What is interesting to me, I am playing around 4 to 8 fps and there should be no way that I could place that high with the thousands of people that could have entered the tournaments. Then again tonight I had a match where I entered it at 10:30 when a quickdraw decided he wanted to kill the AFK atlas. That is not the only one I entered late.

It's not just this one tournament, but the others also. Sure I may have a game with a few kills every once in a blue moon, or even a kill from time to time. I will mention, I do have games where the fps does go up and those are like gold to me with a few hundred damage and a few kills. The most I have had was 3 kills, 4 assists and 500 in damage using a Raven 4X with an LRM 10 and two MPLs.

So is it just not many people play the tournaments since 8 v8 is a different beast and the 4 man teams are just having fun running four mans.

Is it mainly just the PUGs and some elite players participating in the tournaments?

Since I am just scratching my head wondering how I can place as high as I do, with the conditions I play in.

Edited by Barkem Squirrel, 23 June 2013 - 07:24 PM.

#70 Seddrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 247 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:48 PM

I noticed also when I started a category how I ranked after one game... in the 500s. Makes you wonder how many people are still playing currently.

#71 Soy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:25 PM

Heck of a tourny. woohoo! :P

ps - finally i can buy the final color i've been wanting - bright red!, i been sittin on 850 MC and couldn't afford another mc package atm

Edited by Soy, 23 June 2013 - 11:30 PM.

#72 UBCslayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 233 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:32 PM

View PostSoy, on 23 June 2013 - 11:25 PM, said:

Heck of a tourny. woohoo! :P

Yeah, I enjoyed this one more than the last... I was in 8th spot on the Assault board and managed an 8 Kill game to move up to 5th about 5 minutes before midnight. I`ll admit that I was using a PPC stalker for most of the tournament, but let`s be honest here... unless you are some sort of freak at this game (like Kaffe with his Highlander 732) you had to pilot a PPC stalker in order to score high in this tournament in the Assault category.

Edited by UBCslayer, 23 June 2013 - 11:33 PM.

#73 Villz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 627 posts
  • Locationstraya m8

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:36 PM

View PostUBCslayer, on 23 June 2013 - 11:32 PM, said:

Yeah, I enjoyed this one more than the last... I was in 8th spot on the Assault board and managed an 8 Kill game to move up to 5th about 5 minutes before midnight. I`ll admit that I was using a PPC stalker for most of the tournament, but let`s be honest here... unless you are some sort of freak at this game (like Kaffe with his Highlander 732) you had to pilot a PPC stalker in order to score high in this tournament in the Assault category.

I played 60 games this tourney only in a 732 and im 95% sure rippthrough played all his games in a 732 also...

#74 End Crescendo

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 75 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:36 PM

View PostUBCslayer, on 23 June 2013 - 11:32 PM, said:

I used my Highlander 732 and my brawler Heavy Metal for the whole tourny and you only beat me by 4 points :P

#75 kaffeangst

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 123 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:38 PM

Dusted off the HGN-732 for this tournament. I had been playing Medium mechs the last couple weeks. It's still a great mech.

#76 UBCslayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 233 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:41 PM

View Postkaffeangst, on 23 June 2013 - 11:38 PM, said:

Dusted off the HGN-732 for this tournament. I had been playing Medium mechs the last couple weeks. It's still a great mech.

Indeed... JJ shake hasn`t slowed you down one bit. Congrats on the performance, very impressive.

#77 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:29 AM

View PostVillz, on 23 June 2013 - 11:36 PM, said:

I played 60 games this tourney only in a 732 and im 95% sure rippthrough played all his games in a 732 also...

About 80 games in a HGN-732 here as well ...

#78 Fisslag

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:52 AM

as i thought, the top scorer all played HGN^^
tried my best with my Atlas, but i couldn't beat the HGN :P

#79 UBCslayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 233 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:26 AM

Highlanders.. Stalkers... either or. The common theme is the primary weapon used: PPCs. If you weren't packing them, you simply weren't competitive. I suspect some PPC nerfs are on the way, probably a return to the original heat values before HSR was instituted.

#80 Fisslag

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:32 AM

well, tried it with ppc, but u can't get more than 2 ppcs on your atlas(d) and yeah especially stalkers with 5-6 ppcs, ridicioulus in my opinion^^ (even worse than missile boats, u can at least get cover^^) and hgn with jjs are at the same lvl^^

19 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users