Could This Be What The Mwo Timber Wolf Looks Like?

42 replies to this topic

#1 TELEFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

I was browsing the Battletech forums and looking at the fantastic cover for the upcoming game rule book Alpha Strike, when I realized it was drawn by our beloved MWO concept artist, Alex Iglesias!

Posted Image

There's the Timber Wolf front and center, looks like the D configuration (2 ER PPCs, 4 Streak SRM-6s w/ 2 rear-firing). There's also a Steiner-model Banshee in the background, and the Timber Wolf is keeping a Wolfhound from getting up!

I think it would be just awesome if we were getting those 'mechs as we see them here!

Here's the BattleTech thread where I found it: http://bg.battletech...,27880.180.html

Edited by TELEFORCE, 21 June 2013 - 09:44 AM.

#2 whitelie

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:55 AM

I think he either does work for catalyst or does cover-style art like that as a hobby, so I doubt that's the concept art for mwo

though that does look awesome

Edited by whitelie, 21 June 2013 - 10:02 AM.

#3 Valdor Constantine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 157 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:58 AM

If I was the Timberwolf pilot I'd curbstomp the wolfhound and finish off that POS Banshee with SRMs up the ***.

#4 Viper69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:04 AM

Yeah but you would miss the urbanmech giving you an LBX suppository.

#5 Lima Zulu

Russian Community Champion

• 1,971 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:57 AM

Sketched variant
Posted Image

There's the Timber Wolf front and center, looks like the D configuration (2 ER PPCs, 4 Streak SRM-6s w/ 2 rear-firing)
+one small laser. Indeed, Timber Wolf D.

#6 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:44 AM

View Postwhitelie, on 21 June 2013 - 09:55 AM, said:

I think he either does work for catalyst or does cover-style art like that as a hobby, so I doubt that's the concept art for mwo

One could say it will be totally different than in MW:O, but he usually does at least get heavily influenced by his work on MW:O (you bet that Banshee cockpit will be mostly the same in the game). If you can, just look up the picture of Lu Wei Bing from TRO: 3145 CC to see what I mean.

#7 Nick Drezary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 232 posts
  • LocationMoon

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:54 AM

I really like how it looks^^. l hope it will have the same look in MWO :D

#8 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:12 AM

View Postwhitelie, on 21 June 2013 - 09:55 AM, said:

though that does look awesome

He isnt' saying it is concept art for MWO, he is saying this is MWO's concept artist's rendition of a Timberwolf, it's obviously contracted out to Catalyst.

It is pretty darn awesome, though, and I would be very happy if the MWO Timberwolf looked like this (ditto for the Banshee and Wolfhound!)

#9 Jyi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 263 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:15 AM

I don't like that. It should be more classic, with a longer, bigger torso. Hands and legs seem too big in comparison. The ears are also too small, even if they only hold SSRM6.

Also, it's kind of edgy. Raven already lost it's round features and Catapult also. Let us at least keep some round mechs.

Edited by Jyi, 22 June 2013 - 10:15 AM.

#10 Davoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 618 posts
  • LocationFending off an entire RCT of Cappellans with a lance of Atlai

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:35 PM

Last time i checked, all the Clanners were getting their panties in a knot because the ears were too big.

#11 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

View PostJyi, on 22 June 2013 - 10:15 AM, said:

I don't like that. It should be more classic, with a longer, bigger torso. Hands and legs seem too big in comparison. The ears are also too small, even if they only hold SSRM6.

Also, it's kind of edgy. Raven already lost it's round features and Catapult also. Let us at least keep some round mechs.

I would agree that the MWO Raven did lose some of the characteristic profile with a straight nose but I prefer the updated look of the sculpted angular chassis over a rounded simple egg for most other designs e.g. Stalkers and Catapults. Those look far better now and, imo, represent the new standard over past games and way over the simple, anachronistic look of the 80s drawings. The MadCat here looks like a brawny, fierce combat machine with polished hard faces while also looking graceful and well crafted. I like this better than, say, some of the Madcats from other art that are long thin legged, copper-skinned, with arms like vaccum hoses. I respect and embrace TT and the original art but Im in the "keep an eye to canon but make it look more like a combat machine and not 50's martians" camp. FD's MadCat above looks utterly cool imo.

Edited by LakeDaemon, 22 June 2013 - 01:28 PM.

#12 TibsVT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 421 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationIronhold (Sydney, Australia)

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:45 AM

View PostLakeDaemon, on 22 June 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:

I would agree that the MWO Raven did lose some of the characteristic profile with a straight nose but I prefer the updated look of the sculpted angular chassis over a rounded simple egg for most other designs e.g. Stalkers and Catapults. Those look far better now and, imo, represent the new standard over past games and way over the simple, anachronistic look of the 80s drawings. The MadCat here looks like a brawny, fierce combat machine with polished hard faces while also looking graceful and well crafted. I like this better than, say, some of the Madcats from other art that are long thin legged, copper-skinned, with arms like vaccum hoses. I respect and embrace TT and the original art but Im in the "keep an eye to canon but make it look more like a combat machine and not 50's martians" camp. FD's MadCat above looks utterly cool imo.

Yeah, I agree. Rounded Mechs are a little outdated now and I'm loving the newer designs. I personally think the Timber Wolf art looks really nice and I'd love to see how the Prime came out. A shame it's not MWO concept art.

To be honest after seeing all the Timber Wolf hate threads I'd consider this version to be quite acceptable too. The torso is relatively small in comparison to the arms and legs. Would make balancing a little less argumentative; even if the 'ears' were LRM-20's and a part of the L/R torso.

I'd personally show my full support to this design, I think it resolves quite a few of the major drawbacks people have been arguing about all this time. And all it took was a reduction of the torso size. Who'd have thought it so simple?!

Edited by KelesK, 23 June 2013 - 08:59 PM.

#13 DarkJaguar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:27 AM

Eff the TimberWolf, I want to see my Mad Dog.

#14 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:49 AM

View PostDarkJaguar, on 24 June 2013 - 09:27 AM, said:

Eff the TimberWolf, I want to see my Mad Dog.

He means VULTURE. Its hard to let go of the old passe anachronisms.

#15 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:05 AM

That's pretty cool looking! I do like the way mechs look in MWO

#16 DarkJaguar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:58 PM

View PostLakeDaemon, on 24 June 2013 - 09:49 AM, said:

No, I meant Mad Dog, freebirth. :ph34r:

#17 yamishan

• PipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

View PostLakeDaemon, on 24 June 2013 - 09:49 AM, said:

lol vulture is the IS nickname of the mech cause theyre all too scared to ask a clanner what the name of the mech is

#18 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:40 PM

God, I hope not.

#19 Hazar Kath

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 60 posts
  • LocationEST

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:04 PM

Looks awesome. I like the streamlined look of it over the more "classic" bulbous style. PGI definitely has some good artists working for them.

#20 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:51 AM

View Postyamishan, on 24 June 2013 - 07:25 PM, said:

lol vulture is the IS nickname of the mech cause theyre all too scared to ask a clanner what the name of the mech is

Na, maddog is what beaker-born clan garbage call it. Poor creatures have no choice because they're soulless, fatherless freaks mass produced like Big Macs. VULTURE is what humanity calls that mech.

Edited by LakeDaemon, 25 June 2013 - 07:53 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users