27 replies to this topic

#1 BigMekkUrDakka

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 213 posts
  • Locationland of AWESOME pilots

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:44 AM

Score Formula:
Kills × 20 + Kill Assist × 15 + (Damage Done – Team Damage) ÷ 30 + Wins × 20 + Loss × 10 + Survive × 20 + Dead × 10

why encourage killstealing and bad teamplay?

Edited by BigMekkUrDakka, 22 June 2013 - 03:22 AM.

#2 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:07 AM

Isn't the reward for assist greater than the one for a kill?

Or was it secretely changed on some patch?

#3 PEEFsmash

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:48 AM

There has to be some way to differentiate players, otherwise it will be everyone and their mother with 8 assists. Kills are harder to get and more meaningful, and gameplay is challenging and good right now. I wish this many skilled players were on all the time.

Edited by PEEFsmash, 22 June 2013 - 10:31 AM.

#4 Dude42

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:16 AM

View PostPEEFsmash, on 22 June 2013 - 09:48 AM, said:

There has to be some way to differentiate players, otherwise it will be everyobe and their mother with 8 assists. Kills are harder to get, and gameplay is challenging and good right now. I wish this many skilled players were on all the time.

I'll go on to say there's a big difference in an assist and a kill. All you need to get an assist is to do 1 damage to a mech, if assists were worth same as kill, why not just go shoot everyone once? A lot of time people shoot and hurt a mech, but let it get away. Well, just because it's about to die doesn't mean it can't stand in the back and shoot at you with full force. Taking that mech out of the fight should definitely be worth more.

#5 armyof1

• Bad Company
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:24 AM

I think the scoring for this tournament is the best yet, that's why I even bothered to opt in. Oh and of course because killing Highla... I mean Quickdraws is always fun.

#6 XphR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:39 AM

In a team based game such as this and when playing from the eyes of the IS you simply can not "steal a kill". You could however by shooting a teammate before they die take the kill from the opposing team.

The idea of owning a kill is arrogance and does not fit into the theme of the IS. The clans may have a valid argument once they are available, but at that point the majority of the "clanners" will be doing things far more dishonorable by Clan writ.

You can own no man, only the wreckage of his Mech is yours to call salvage.

#7 PEEFsmash

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:46 AM

View PostXphR, on 22 June 2013 - 10:39 AM, said:

In a team based game such as this and when playing from the eyes of the IS you simply can not "steal a kill". You could however by shooting a teammate before they die take the kill from the opposing team.

The idea of owning a kill is arrogance and does not fit into the theme of the IS. The clans may have a valid argument once they are available, but at that point the majority of the "clanners" will be doing things far more dishonorable by Clan writ.

You can own no man, only the wreckage of his Mech is yours to call salvage.

First of all...is it not in the lore of battletech (and in the concept art for this game) that IS mech pilots would keep kill counts painted onto their mechs?

Second of all, this is a competitive leaderboard event, not a live-action role-play of our favorite battletech heroes.

Edited by PEEFsmash, 22 June 2013 - 10:47 AM.

#8 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:58 AM

View PostPEEFsmash, on 22 June 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

First of all...is it not in the lore of battletech (and in the concept art for this game) that IS mech pilots would keep kill counts painted onto their mechs?

Second of all, this is a competitive leaderboard event, not a live-action role-play of our favorite battletech heroes.

How do you know the kill tallies dont include kill assist participation ribbons? Tracking your personal achievements in war is not the same as claiming any mech you lay first laser on as "your target alone".

Addressing point two: This is a post about score count in the tournaments section of the MWO forums. I dont have any battletech heroes.

Thirdly, I dont think you quite followed the point of my post. Team A vs Team B. Yes I realize an informal race of be the best on team A or B is automatically started each round... even more so during tournament moments. However that does not change the fact that team A and team B are indeed teams comprised of individual members that will succeed or fail as the team that they are.

If A1 starts the kill and A2 finishes the kill then the kill goes to "Team A". <---This was the point of the post.

Edited by XphR, 22 June 2013 - 11:03 AM.

#9 PEEFsmash

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:04 AM

View PostXphR, on 22 June 2013 - 10:58 AM, said:

How do you know the kill tallies dont include kill assist participation ribbons? Tracking your personal achievements in war is not the same as claiming any mech you lay first laser on as "your target alone".

Addressing point two: This is a post about score count in the tournaments section of the MWO forums. I dont have any battle tech heroes.

Thirdly, I dont think you quite followed the point of my post. Team A vs Team B. Yes I realize an informal race of be the best on team A or B is automatically started each round... even more so during tournament moments. However that does not change the fact that team A and team B are indeed teams comprised of individual members that will succeed or fail as the team that they are.

Do you know how scoring in this thing works? Kills are worth 20, and assists 15. It's hardly the end of the world if someone steals a kill every once in awhile. Its just 5 points. Also, you act like everyone is super selfish at the expense of the team, but the best thing to do in this game is to help your team win, keep yourself alive, then focus on dominating. You can't get a good score if your team loses.

#10 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

View PostPEEFsmash, on 22 June 2013 - 11:04 AM, said:

Do you know how scoring in this thing works? Kills are worth 20, and assists 15. It's hardly the end of the world if someone steals a kill every once in awhile. Its just 5 points. Also, you act like everyone is super selfish at the expense of the team, but the best thing to do in this game is to help your team win, keep yourself alive, then focus on dominating. You can't get a good score if your team loses.

>_< Somehow you think I am in opposition to "best thing to do in this game is to help your team win, keep yourself alive, then focus on dominating.". Yet this is in fact what I am also saying.

#11 PEEFsmash

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

View PostXphR, on 22 June 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

>_< Somehow you think I am in opposition to "best thing to do in this game is to help your team win, keep yourself alive, then focus on dominating.". Yet this is in fact what I am also saying.

Well...I thought you didn't think that kills should be awarded to players.

#12 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:47 PM

View PostPEEFsmash, on 22 June 2013 - 11:50 AM, said:

Well...I thought you didn't think that kills should be awarded to players.

No, I am fine with that. My issue is with people that think they are on team three.

#13 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:54 PM

All I can say is... when there were Assist-only fail challenges, it the fastest 3 min or less farming that was done ever. Just tap everyone, die.. and hope your team collects.

Thanks OP, for reminding me how terrible an idea that was.

#14 Torage

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:40 PM

The formula is fine, if there's any change that needs to be made its awarding points for component destruction so people don't ac/2 each member of the other team to get the assists.

#15 WarZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 538 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:47 PM

I think they should do a more comprehensive formula that includes all the factors in a match. If I'm not mistaken damage is nearly a non factor. However doing big damage is always a big factor for your team. Also what about xp, cap point captures, component destructions, etc etc. Dont we currently have a match score at the end of the match. Isnt that a little more comprehensive ?

These current formulas seem to be simply kills+assist+win. There is a heck of a lot more going on in a match than that.

#16 hammerreborn

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

View PostDude42, on 22 June 2013 - 10:16 AM, said:

I'll go on to say there's a big difference in an assist and a kill. All you need to get an assist is to do 1 damage to a mech, if assists were worth same as kill, why not just go shoot everyone once? A lot of time people shoot and hurt a mech, but let it get away. Well, just because it's about to die doesn't mean it can't stand in the back and shoot at you with full force. Taking that mech out of the fight should definitely be worth more.

Technically you only need to do 1 damage to get a kill...

Edited by hammerreborn, 22 June 2013 - 07:20 PM.

#17 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:41 PM

It takes in account the amount of damage you scored as well to try to mitigate the amount of points granted by a player just kill stealing. You kind of need to be an active participant of the battle to get a good score for this tournament.

#18 hammerreborn

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:55 PM

View PostDocBach, on 22 June 2013 - 08:41 PM, said:

It takes in account the amount of damage you scored as well to try to mitigate the amount of points granted by a player just kill stealing. You kind of need to be an active participant of the battle to get a good score for this tournament.

Not nearly enough. One kill steal of 1 point is worth 601 damage.

I guarentee you every single top player is on there for having 6+ kills per match avg in their 10 games.

Edited by hammerreborn, 22 June 2013 - 08:56 PM.

#19 PEEFsmash

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:37 PM

View Posthammerreborn, on 22 June 2013 - 08:55 PM, said:

I guarentee you every single top player is on there for having 6+ kills per match avg in their 10 games.

I'm #3 in lights, just a handful off of the lead and I have had 0 games with 6 kills.

#20 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:15 PM

View Posthammerreborn, on 22 June 2013 - 08:55 PM, said:

That bar is set too high then. A really "good game" is 5+ kills + random # of assists from the targets left.

Edited by Deathlike, 22 June 2013 - 10:15 PM.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users