What players do you expect to see in Mechwarrior: Online?

119 replies to this topic

#21 Freyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 413 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:15 AM

View PostZekeTheZealot, on 09 June 2012 - 12:12 AM, said:

Honestly, from what i've read in the Forums thus far, i expect a far less troll/dick-populated game experience. People seem to be intelligent individuals in this forum, which is strange and terrifying to me.

Hopefully this translates to in-game.

The forums won't be a great indicator of the community post-release though. The same thing happened with APB where at first the forums were pretty sane, though due to the nature of APB people were a little aggressive. Once it hit open beta, the proverbial **** hit the fan and a whole lot of undesirables came in.

#22 Nightborn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 128 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:18 AM

View PostFreyar, on 09 June 2012 - 12:15 AM, said:

The forums won't be a great indicator of the community post-release though. The same thing happened with APB where at first the forums were pretty sane, though due to the nature of APB people were a little aggressive. Once it hit open beta, the proverbial **** hit the fan and a whole lot of undesirables came in.

This ^, once open beta hits all bets are off, this is only exacerbated by this being a F2P launch.

#23 ZekeTheZealot

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:31 AM

View PostFreyar, on 09 June 2012 - 12:15 AM, said:

I know... *sniffles sadly* But hopefully (Im just fulla hope. Like Hopefully my beta key will arrive this week? =D) such a**jackals will be put off by the complexity (and pacing) of the game and leave us to our much-deserved mech lovemaking.

#24 Freyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 413 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:38 AM

View PostZekeTheZealot, on 09 June 2012 - 12:31 AM, said:

I know... *sniffles sadly* But hopefully (Im just fulla hope. Like Hopefully my beta key will arrive this week? =D) such a**jackals will be put off by the complexity (and pacing) of the game and leave us to our much-deserved mech lovemaking.

Eh, with each wave of newer players we'll see waves of "MWO should be like [not MWO]." It'll drain you pretty quickly.

#25 Tyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 242 posts
  • LocationSin City

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:39 AM

View PostFreyar, on 09 June 2012 - 12:38 AM, said:

Eh, with each wave of newer players we'll see waves of "MWO should be like [not MWO]." It'll drain you pretty quickly.

Experience has insulated me against those kind of people.

#26 Freyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 413 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:41 AM

View PostTyra, on 09 June 2012 - 12:39 AM, said:

Experience has insulated me against those kind of people.

That's what I thought when I was dealing with APB's spin-up to release. You can only say "Use the Search" or "Oh look, this topic again" so many times before it feels like they're doing it on purpose and you lose all pretense of sanity finding your way to a hidden secluded spot where you can build a Delorean and and fit it for time travel shouting success while being shot at by people that you.. acquired fuel from.

#27 The Crow2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 156 posts
  • LocationAustralia Mate !

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:41 AM

Most of my clanmates are mechwarrior &.or heavy gear series veterans, we kinda split down the middle over CoD Vs BF but no matter what game we play we always work together on Teamspeak so hopefully we see more players who want to work together (though I still think leaving built in VOIP out of the game could be a mistake for PUGs).

Beyond that theres 2 types of players that turn up in pretty much every game:

- The Lone Gunman, in WoT hes usually the suicide scout in other games he goes in guns blazing and gets stomped 75% of the time the other 25% of the time his bumrush catches someone unawares.

- The Sniper, the guy who really doesnt contribute to the team that much and sits at the back fo the field trying to pick of people at long range, often playing on the weak and injured to geat easy kills, or steal kills if thats what you want to call it.

I am sure there are others.

#28 SgtMac

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 64 posts
  • LocationMorgantown, West Virginia

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:42 AM

I know myself nad my brother played Battletech,. and owned and played all the mechwarrior titles out there. We still play MW4 Mercs. Everyone we know whos waiting on this is an older school MW player. So they all at least under stand teamwork. As for TK types, its gonna be real hard to miss them if they are doing it, takes a lot of firepower to drop a mech, hopefully the Devs have something in place for that moron that "wants to make sure my weapons will fire" into a team members back armor. I'm allready loosely affiliated with Wolf's Dragoons and team work is something talked about allready. Overall impression, is this will be more for veteran thinking gamers over FPS blitz gamers.

#29 Freyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 413 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:46 AM

Perhaps a small warm-up period for weapons could help that "test in your back" shot.

#30 Tyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 242 posts
  • LocationSin City

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:49 AM

View PostFreyar, on 09 June 2012 - 12:41 AM, said:

That's what I thought when I was dealing with APB's spin-up to release. You can only say "Use the Search" or "Oh look, this topic again" so many times before it feels like they're doing it on purpose and you lose all pretense of sanity finding your way to a hidden secluded spot where you can build a Delorean and and fit it for time travel shouting success while being shot at by people that you.. acquired fuel from.

I'll just disappear from the forums. It's the only way I can survive MMO launches.

#31 JoeCavo

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:52 AM

I'm looking forward to battling it out with some of the hardcore fans,
as I've been playing this game for nearly as long as I can remember!!!

So..... COME AT ME BRO!!!

#32 Freyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 413 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:53 AM

View PostJoeCavo, on 09 June 2012 - 12:52 AM, said:

Must be a pretty short memory. ;)

#33 HandofManos

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:53 AM

I am guessing a wide variaty of people will join this experience. I also talked to some friends of mine and those will certainly try and play it because of the team effort involved, some of which played the older MW games. Some people might not join because of the 'slow paced' action even so I think that makes MW stand out since you are controlling massive machines after all.

And Team Killers will always stay in any game. Of course some blue on blue fire might happen but hopefully a good autokick or administration rules will be in effect.

#34 ZekeTheZealot

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:54 AM

View PostTyra, on 09 June 2012 - 12:49 AM, said:

I'll just disappear from the forums. It's the only way I can survive MMO launches.

Right. There. With. You.

#35 typhon

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:40 AM

View PostSerevn, on 08 June 2012 - 08:45 PM, said:

The swarm of Russians from World of Tanks. ;)

According to the Region poll, you aren't far off...

#36 name51875

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:44 AM

View PostJoeCavo, on 09 June 2012 - 12:52 AM, said:

Posted Image

Edited by Viper Centurion, 09 June 2012 - 01:44 AM.

#37 Thanassis79

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 101 posts
  • LocationAntwerp

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:00 AM

Don't be THAT afraid of the WoT players. Yes they have an advantage in the beginning but it will even out. I just hope not too much 'storm in and die' players will be seen too much

#38 Freyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 413 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:04 AM

Why would anyone be afraid of WoT players?

#39 Weatherman

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 87 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:14 AM

Being a Mechwarrior veteran as well as a Battlefield 3 player I think that outside MW fans, team player games like BF3 will provide a good pool of new players. While there is plenty of showboating and CoD tweakers on BF3 now, the team players get the work done in the game and often you will see CoD players ***** about hacks because their team is losing even though they have a 30 to 1 kill/death ratio.

I only hope we get to see that CoD exodus here after they realize that there is no way to one man show this game.

#40 Stabs

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:20 AM

View PostFreyar, on 09 June 2012 - 12:08 AM, said:

Hopefully the impact of TKers won't be significant in the long run. Being a Free-to-Play game, I'm significantly worried about anti-cheat.

Not sure it's that big of a problem. It uses the same engine as Tribes:Ascend (also free) and they pretty much stamped them out during beta.

Edited by Stabs, 09 June 2012 - 02:21 AM.

27 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 27 guests, 0 anonymous users