#662 ChargerIIC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 490 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:03 AM

Was very amused to see all the posts demanding that work stop on art assets to enhance code engineering.

You really need to think that through. Pulling your artists and telling them to start programming is a very bad idea:

"The curly brackets were ugly so I removed them"

"I just did a Find and Replace..."

"What's wrong with doStuf() ?"

"I totally found this book on Javascript and started rewriting the netcode - that'll make it faster right?"

"I replaced the code comments with little ASCII mechs"

"What do I need a keyboard for? I don't answer emails.."

#663 Tekadept

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:06 AM

I'm all for firing "some" of the artists, and hire more coders instead, the problems are with the coding not the art, the art is great...but thats just me :)

#664 Dragunz Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:06 AM

OMFG............WOOT............. Well i just shipped my chips...lol. 1st of all, i am old enough to remember countless hours spent on the very first Mechwarrior game starting my love affair with this franchise. They are bringing my FAVORITE mech back, i have always had a soft spot for the Shadow Hawk :) And i cant even tell you how much fun it was taking a Locust and legging a Battlemaster in that game...hehe. This makes me happy beyond words.

Now just a note to all the people i see beyatching about "Fix the game first" or "Install the meta game before making a money grab" People, chill out, this is an enormous game, the metagame is going to be huge, it is one hell of an ambitious plan PGI is trying to pull off. And nobody HAS to buy these mechs, we play for FREE people. Understand that one point and temper your expectations and timelines a bit. This company is small, but growing. You want to get the best people in there designing and supporting us then you have to PAY them. I don't have any kind of issue with this as the amount you are getting here for their package prices is actually very good. If you don't want to buy it don't, but don't blast the company or the rest of us if A) We can afford to do this and you cant. and :wub: They want to sell premium items to fund their company. Lets just sit back and enjoy the fact that they have been able to bring back 3 unseen mechs!! Albeit redesigned to fit with the overall aesthetics of this game, but that is a small price to be paid for them. Here is hoping that the Shadow Hawk looks as kick-*** as his outline shows!!! :D

#665 Veebora

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 111 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:18 AM

Overlord purchased, great package it seems. Invest well that money.

I hope you can continue doing a good work, keeping the game with simple and fun mechanics.

I hate how WOT spotting system works, but in MWO if something is there, it is there and you can see it :-)

#666 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:19 AM

View Postpuel, on 26 June 2013 - 04:22 AM, said:

Guys this is maybe now a stupid questions - I pre ordered too and I am wondering now then I get these mechs?

I have seen something with October for CB and MC. But does this also apply for this order?

Honestly I had the impression I get the first, already revealed mech immediately. Well maybe a language thing.

Currently looking into details "pre order" and "july 25" -- okay July then?

Thanks,

Paul

From the FAQ:

Q: Will the entire collection of items in each package (ie - Mechs, Badges, Medallions etc) be delivered all on the same date or will different items be provided at different dates?
A: All package contents will be delivered on Oct 15th.

#667 Kennoir

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:28 AM

i gleaned that information from "reading"
http://mwomercs.com/...sked-questions/

Thanks. I might have skipped that point unintentionally in the faqs

#668 Barrett

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 76 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:36 AM

They have my money...

You know as a pessimistic bas... uhm individual, the thought has crossed my mind that this is the last money grab before they abandon the game and retire in luxury. Whatever luxury means for coders, probably a love doll and some hot pockets, used mutually exclusive.

#669 qki

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationWarsaw

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:38 AM

View PostDuncan Jr Fischer, on 26 June 2013 - 04:44 AM, said:

Of all the mediums... the SHD?!?! This tinfoil ammo-crate, good for absolutely nothing?
The only reason Grayson Carlyle did something in it, is that everything William Keith wrote about Shadow Hawk (and many other things) was utter nonsence. In the poll for the worst battlemech ever the Shadow Hawk must be a winner.
Though it looks pretty cool and there are some chances we'll put together some working build for this piece of junk.

Other than that, it's great news! Hope that it means we'll be able to see other classic mechs in MWO in time)

Actually, I'm pretty sure that it's in the rules somwhere, that you can't play a game of battletech without a shadowhawk on the board. And it's not bad for what it does. It might not have the stats of the WVR-6M, or the HER-2M, but funny thing - whenever took one out, it did quite well.

Most of the time I just parked it somwhere, getting steady 8s and 9s while the heavies duked it out, and the SHD was always one to get out with minimal damage, that barely scratched the surface.

Posted Image

Edited by qki, 26 June 2013 - 05:39 AM.

#670 Alex Wolfe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:39 AM

View PostVrox, on 26 June 2013 - 04:31 AM, said:

Thunderbolt !!! Thunderstruck !!! My mech has finally surfaced after all these years. Can't wait !!!

You sure it's not a Thunder Bolt? <_<

#671 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:40 AM

Of all the mediums... the SHD?!?! This tinfoil ammo-crate, good for absolutely nothing?

My Marik friends and their SHD-5M beg to differ. That mech is a beast even by MW:O standards.

#672 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:52 AM

Based on the outlines, here's probably what we can expect the Thunderbolt and Battlemaster to look something like:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#673 Xenosphobatic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 213 posts
  • LocationMidwest USA

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:53 AM

I just wonder when all the goodies will appear in my account.

Edit: Apparently I missed the October delivery date. Mah bad.

Edited by Xenosphobatic, 26 June 2013 - 05:54 AM.

#674 JeremyCrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLisbon

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:56 AM

Thunderbolt in that drawing looks like a Summoner (Thor for the freebirth).

#675 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:58 AM

View PostAlex Wolfe, on 26 June 2013 - 05:39 AM, said:

You sure it's not a Thunder Bolt? <_<

?

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Thunderbolt

#676 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:58 AM

View PostValore, on 25 June 2013 - 02:32 PM, said:

4 Hero Mechs would be around another USD10 each even for cheap ones, so USD40.

Locust would be a bit less than the Death's Knell, say the DK is about $10 so value the Locust at $8.50

Shadow Hawk more than Yen-Lo-Wang that is about $20 so I will value the Hawk at $21.50

Thunderbolt about the same as Firebrand, say about $22.

Battlemaster about the Misery, about $30.

Total, $82 roughly.

View PostRenaissance, on 25 June 2013 - 02:36 PM, said:

Really it comes down to which of those mechs are going to be able to boat the most AC20s or PPCs and if it'll be comparable to a 6 PPC stalker or a dual AC20 Jager.

Because other mechs are obsolete and you gimp your team by not running the latest high alpha cheese build.

And people who want to play other mechs are going to be disappointed to find themselves at the business end of a 6 PPC stalker in their Thunderbolt and realize they just don't have the ability to take them out.

PGI needs to show us some kind of sign that they care about gameplay balance instead of just feeding us new mechs without any regard to how overpowered they are and how they make older mechs obsolete. A Dual AC20 Jager can do a better job than my Founder's Atlas can, and it can do it faster.

Maybe in Assault and I will grant Assault has issues.

In Conquest, I do not see many of the 'cheese' and it does not favor them. I see more Mediums and 60 tonners while it seems most of the Lights and the Assaults play in Assault Mode. Conquest is currently much more fun if you want to avoid the 'cheese' and those Mechs would not last anyway since Conquest forces Brawling more.

#677 Dredhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationSpace Colony Texas

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:03 AM

mmmm don't know if I want the Battlemaster the Cockpit so big it would be a easily killed unless they made it smaller or made the hit box small or something...LOL I would rather throw my money at Clan Mechs I started my interested into Battletech about the time of the Clan Invasion so I tend to be more interested in clan stuff then the early Battletech stuff....

Edited by Dredhawk, 26 June 2013 - 06:04 AM.

#678 Grimmnyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:04 AM

View PostAdridos, on 26 June 2013 - 05:40 AM, said:

My Marik friends and their SHD-5M beg to differ. That mech is a beast even by MW:O standards.

As a Free World's League pilot who prefers medium mechs, I support this message!

Edited by Ed Steele, 26 June 2013 - 06:04 AM.

#679 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:06 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 25 June 2013 - 11:41 PM, said:

But what is it if not greed? Just think about it... the whole program is just EXACTLY same as founders program. People who don't have founders will think ... hey, I can be just as those guys now. Even if they don't NEED it. Also ... how about you make the whole Project Phoenix FREE for your founders, people who supported you with their money when there wasn't any game so to speak of. Or how about you add that 'loyalty' 10% bonus to founders mechs eh?

Really tho ... the sure sign of F2P game going down the drain are constant sales and promotions. I've seen that happen before, games that were MUCH better then MWO is now began sucking money off their players with constant sales of items and stuff and went down the drain within half a year. I won't buy, guy next to me won't buy and thousand others won't buy, but there are always those kinda people who think ... ooooo shiny, must buy. If your business is built on getting money from THOSE kinda peeps, well ...

I find that many people with weak wills feel they are impelled to purchase. But at the same time they are not happy with the product as it is. I would think that any base logic would tell them to not continue putting money into something that they do not feel is prioritizing the outstanding issue (in your and other's cases, that's bug squashing) You're not being forced to buy this product. It is merely a method for those who are currently happy to provide additional revenue so they can continue working on the product.

Maybe it's because I don't fall into the who status desiring motiff, that I don't understand where people are coming from. If something is limited time and you want to buy it, but at the same time do not want to spend more money because the game isn't up to par, your choices are simple. Either be a hypocrite and pay for the item in order to sate your desire for the product, or hold fast to your power as a consumer, forego your want, and refuse to pay until the product is brought up to your standards.

I can't say whether making the product FREE for Founders would work (a discount would show appreciation), but a F2P game with no income is just destined to close shop. Money has to be made, and that does not equate to greed in and of itself. Someone ran the numbers, and for what you get at these prices, you're getting a phenomenal amount of things. 12 Mech Bays, 12 Mechs, 4 with special skins and bonuses, 120 days of premium, cockpit items. If you look at it that way, they are giving their players a deal and a half.

Don't get me wrong, though. One of the reasons I'm not partaking in Phoenix IS because of just what you indicated, an outstanding bug or issue that is not being fixed (for me, the netcode). My logic is "It is nearing a year and I've seen NO progress on a bug that highly deters entertainment from me" So, it was an easy choice for me not to purchase Phoenix Plans, even though they are good deals. I am speaking with my wallet; it's all I can do as a consumer.

#680 Ari Dian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 251 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:08 AM

The only reason Grayson Carlyle did something in it, is that everything William Keith wrote about Shadow Hawk (and many other things) was utter nonsence. In the poll for the worst battlemech ever the Shadow Hawk must be a winner.
Though it looks pretty cool and there are some chances we'll put together some working build for this piece of junk.

Other than that, it's great news! Hope that it means we'll be able to see other classic mechs in MWO in time)

Hey. The SHD is one the only mech of 55t that cant deal 20 damage to a target for a pilot roll <_<.
AND he is one of the few mechs that has to many HS (can only generate 11 heat, has 12 HS).

he is not bad in everything :lol:

27 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 27 guests, 0 anonymous users