Lights/mediums Useless, Assaults Rule, Pgi Agrees, Role Warfare Is A Myth Now Debunked

165 replies to this topic

#41 krazypoloc

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:09 PM

View PostAimRobot, on 25 June 2013 - 04:36 PM, said:

Dont think they give out medals for first place so ;)

My mom says I'm good no matter how bad I am.

#42 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

View PostMercules, on 25 June 2013 - 02:21 PM, said:

I was thinking it was skipping one of those nights out with my friend and his wife and playing MWO with him instead. $40 on food, $40 on alcohol, yup... one night in.

Seriously...some people need to get better jobs (like mowing lawns for a day) and/or less kids.

#43 ApolloKaras

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

View PostBladeSplint, on 25 June 2013 - 01:43 PM, said:

You've never played against a competent light or medium pilot have you?

Posted Image

I've got plenty more of those if you're saying it was a "lucky game"

I'm betting you've never played against p00k.....

EDIT: I'm talking 8 man, not this 4 man premade, or pug....

Edited by Saxie, 25 June 2013 - 06:12 PM.

#44 DocBach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:13 PM

View PostSaxie, on 25 June 2013 - 06:11 PM, said:

I'm betting you've never played against p00k.....

EDIT: I'm talking 8 man, not this 4 man premade, or pug....

lol no kidding - "quit whining and learn to play p00k"

#45 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

Is MWO based off this manual?

Posted Image

#46 WolfPlayer

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:47 PM

Most matches are 80% lights and heavys with a random assault, the few mediums I see are either cicadas which are medium class lights, or a medium trying to play as a heavy.

The problem (that the shadowhawk will help with) is that PGI has found most of the medium mechs that are the speed of heavys. The hunchback is one thing with JJs and its city fighter role, but besides the trebuchet the rest are stock the same speed as 85% of the IS heavys. Why go the speed of a victor or an awesome but weight 50tons?

The assault mechs are never where they need to be when we need them. They do have more armor and weapons then a heavy, but they are also too late to change the tide of battle. They just arrive to help finish it fast, or die to 5v1 fire.
I think its cause I only solo drop, cause it seems people only engage after pulling the faster mechs away or rush around to cap and are met by the non-assaults.

I dont know why, but I do so much worse in my centurion then my raven or my heavys. The Mlaser hunch I play is the only medium that can make as much money on a win as my lights and heavys.

#47 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:52 PM

Even if we did have the cool fast mediums like the Phoenix Hawk, the way alpha strikes work they'd still crumple in one hit, especially the 3050 phoenix hawk as it has like 7.5 tons of armor and an XL engine. Thats the problem with mediums, they're too delicate, and too easy to hit, on the battlefield when the players who know what they are doing are stacked with effective weapons.

#48 ApolloKaras

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

View PostWolfPlayer, on 25 June 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

Most matches are 80% lights and heavys with a random assault, the few mediums I see are either cicadas which are medium class lights, or a medium trying to play as a heavy.

The problem (that the shadowhawk will help with) is that PGI has found most of the medium mechs that are the speed of heavys. The hunchback is one thing with JJs and its city fighter role, but besides the trebuchet the rest are stock the same speed as 85% of the IS heavys. Why go the speed of a victor or an awesome but weight 50tons?

The assault mechs are never where they need to be when we need them. They do have more armor and weapons then a heavy, but they are also too late to change the tide of battle. They just arrive to help finish it fast, or die to 5v1 fire.
I think its cause I only solo drop, cause it seems people only engage after pulling the faster mechs away or rush around to cap and are met by the non-assaults.

I dont know why, but I do so much worse in my centurion then my raven or my heavys. The Mlaser hunch I play is the only medium that can make as much money on a win as my lights and heavys.

You should drop in an 8 man.... The tonnage is high.... There are a few matches where i've run into heavy/medium only groups, however they are few and far inbetween. The 8 man meta is predominately 2 Assaults - 4 Heavies - 2 Scouts and even then they are optional.

#49 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

View PostDocBach, on 25 June 2013 - 02:41 PM, said:

i understand how to play successfully in a medium 'Mech - however, if one high-alpha assault manages to hit you once or twice, the game is completely over for you.

The Jager is not a light or medium 'Mech, and the slow speed indicates you probably use the ever-popular dual AC/20 build, which is one of the biggest reason mediums are bad in this game - you can easily aim and put gigantic damage to a single spot and wipe them out instantly. This is bad.

I disagree with everything you said except for a dual AC/20 jagernoob putting the hurt down on a medium. Most medium mechs have an average of 42 armor for the torso which puts them at an insane disadvantage vs AC/20 boats.

View PostStraylight, on 25 June 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

How many of those are under 55 tons?

Currently I own 1 spider, 1 treb, 1 BJ, and 1 jager. I'm a free2hore and grind slowly pugging.

View PostAimRobot, on 25 June 2013 - 02:51 PM, said:

Often lights/medium does like 700 damage but, most likely they would have done the same or better in a assault.

View PostAimRobot, on 25 June 2013 - 02:51 PM, said:

Often lights/medium does like 700 damage but, most likely they would have done the same or better in a assault.

I can't argue with this, because I literally took the AC/20s off my jager when they made the game too easy. I felt bad for driving customers off.

#50 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:39 PM

3 PPC + gauss misery or highlander shot = 45 damage from across the map - instantly removes all CT armor off a medium - someone farts next to you after that, goodbye.

#51 hammerreborn

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

Uh...the reason you pay more for the larger mechs is because of the order they are released.

When buying the battlemaster tier, you're also buying the exclusive use of the battlemaster for 3 months before ANYONE ELSE can even use it.

Meanwhile, the locust is being released the same time as pheonix, and so gives no tangible benefit.

#52 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:55 PM

View PostSaxie, on 25 June 2013 - 07:00 PM, said:

You should drop in an 8 man.... The tonnage is high.... There are a few matches where i've run into heavy/medium only groups, however they are few and far inbetween. The 8 man meta is predominately 2 Assaults - 4 Heavies - 2 Scouts and even then they are optional.

Scouts have been often replaced with Cent-As and HBK-4SPs... because it's not like you're in a rush to cap...

#53 p00k

• 1,661 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:20 PM

View PostBladeSplint, on 25 June 2013 - 01:43 PM, said:

You've never played against a competent light or medium pilot have you?

apparently not. granted i'm pretty new at this game and whatnot, my elo's probably too low to match up against these skilled pilots you have in mind

anyways, you're still screencapping 5-3 rounds like they're something worth remembering. need i say more?

View Posthammerreborn, on 25 June 2013 - 07:48 PM, said:

Uh...the reason you pay more for the larger mechs is because of the order they are released.

When buying the battlemaster tier, you're also buying the exclusive use of the battlemaster for 3 months before ANYONE ELSE can even use it.

and yet, because you will have 3 variants of the battlemaster for months, you know that the battlemaster will be finished by then, as will the thunderbolt and shadowhawk. pgi will simply be withholding them. so why not let us choose which mech or mechs we want to have for 1 or 2 or 3 months earlier?

because they know the assault mech will be the best. if you want to argue that tiered scheduling advantage, why isn't the battlemaster the talon tier mech, and the locust the overlord tier one? why isn't it being released first, then thunderbolt, then shadowhawk, then locust? because assaults are the best, and in the current meta, everyone wants one. and they know people may spend $80 for an assault, but they won't for the locust. even though the original intent was to have locusts and other lights as viable through speed, size, and role warfare.

i.e. role warfare is a busted myth

#54 Thariel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 184 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:13 PM

Quite easy, the reason assaults rule is not by the mechs itself, but by the game -mode design. What for do you need to scout? you know where the enemy starts, you knwo where the objectives are, you know everything right from the beginning.

So to break it down, we could have a 1000mx1000m blank sqwaure without obstacles etc. at all and fight it out. and in this case, assaults dominate, cause only punch is important.

when (whenever this may be) bigger maps with lots of different routes come into play, when assymetric objectives come into play, when unknown starting points /objective locatons come into play, meds and lights will be very useful.

We got big maps you say?
Well have you ever tried to pass by the enemy at Tourmaline ? it is big, but at the important point in the middle it is too narrow, you will almost always be detected, at least as a few seconds blip for sure.
Well we got Alpine, but the whole side Epsilon and upwards is so steep, no moving terrain for anything. so people go eps, or some make the theta-kappa way, but you can't go there unnoticed, cause the high mountain provides view into the kappa-theta line all the way. so the vastness of this map is wasted, again.
Well we got Canyon, this is the map closest to something useeful for scouts, if there weren't the already known locations.

Edited by Thariel, 25 June 2013 - 11:14 PM.

#55 trollocaustic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:45 AM

So your saying a atlas is better than a raven?

What the hell are you on.

#56 Ridir Semii

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 499 posts
  • LocationPort Torture, Washington, USA

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:38 AM

I currently own 4 mechs, 1 Highlander, 1 raven and 2 commandos...

Role warfare is not dead, my 2D commando is only 103kph after spead tweak and rarely gets killed, yet my raven pulling 120kph gets nuked far more often...

Role Warfare is only dead when no one uses role specific mechs, my close support commando is an awesome mech, my TDK is my fastest mech and only goes 125kph or so, it is my "brawling" light mech, if you know howto play them and use them, ANY mech is a viable asset to the team...

Soapbox time: ANYONE who wants an unseen marauder or some other mech must realize that not all unseen were redesigned into reseen models, some will most likely never be seen... I would rather the 55ton medium was the Griffin, I dont whine because at least we are getting the shadowhawk, plus I wanted the thunderbolt and battlemaster as well...

also, PGI, institute 100% TT values for EVERYTHING in MW:O so that the other TT nerds like me will stop trying to compare the 2... remember those AC40 Jagers no one likes, well coring small mechs can be fun, but at TT values it would be doing 2 times what it does now, can you imagine that atlas after an ac80 nails it?

#57 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:47 AM

View PostUminix, on 26 June 2013 - 08:38 AM, said:

also, PGI, institute 100% TT values for EVERYTHING in MW:O so that the other TT nerds like me will stop trying to compare the 2... remember those AC40 Jagers no one likes, well coring small mechs can be fun, but at TT values it would be doing 2 times what it does now, can you imagine that atlas after an ac80 nails it?

Yeah, one AC/20 hits it's arm and the other it's opposite leg. <_<

#58 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:48 AM

That two ac20 Jagger wouldn't likely hit the same location the the , if both shots hit at all

#59 hammerreborn

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

View Postp00k, on 25 June 2013 - 10:20 PM, said:

and yet, because you will have 3 variants of the battlemaster for months, you know that the battlemaster will be finished by then, as will the thunderbolt and shadowhawk. pgi will simply be withholding them. so why not let us choose which mech or mechs we want to have for 1 or 2 or 3 months earlier?

because they know the assault mech will be the best. if you want to argue that tiered scheduling advantage, why isn't the battlemaster the talon tier mech, and the locust the overlord tier one? why isn't it being released first, then thunderbolt, then shadowhawk, then locust? because assaults are the best, and in the current meta, everyone wants one. and they know people may spend $80 for an assault, but they won't for the locust. even though the original intent was to have locusts and other lights as viable through speed, size, and role warfare.

i.e. role warfare is a busted myth

That's the most forced and tortured logic I have ever seen.

Here, let me take your own words and make you look like a moron.

and yet, because you will have 3 variants of the Flea for months, you know that the Flea will be finished by then, as will the Victor and Orion. pgi will simply be withholding them. so why not let us choose which mech or mechs we want to have for 1 or 2 or 3 months earlier?

because they know the light mech will be the best. if you want to argue that tiered scheduling advantage, why isn't the Flea the talon tier mech, and the Victor the overlord tier one? why isn't it being released first, then the Victor, then Orion? because lights are the best, and in the current meta, everyone wants one. and they know people may spend $80 for an light, but they won't for the battlemaster.

The order has always been light -> med -> heavy -> assault. The fact that you think the assault coming last is some sort of money grab rather than HOW IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN SINCE ALWAYS makes you equal to the aliens formed the mayan pryamid nutters.

#60 CHWarpath

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

View Postp00k, on 25 June 2013 - 01:16 PM, said:

Remember how in closed beta, PGI made this big deal about how every weight class had a role, and how bigger didn't necessarily mean better? And yet, especially in the last few patches, the exact opposite has been true. It's been go-big-or-go-home. Assaults dominate the field. Lights and Mediums get 1- or 2-shot by their heavier brethren.

Well, apparently, this is working as intended. And PGI wants to make a buck off it.

See Project Phoenix. Unlike Founders, when we were all bright eyed bushy tailed optimistic gamers filled with the hope that PGI would rejuvenate the IP, and where if you chose to be an elite founder you could choose one of the four mechs, PGI tosses that purchase model out the window. While there was debate among elite founders which one to get (i went with the atlas), plenty of people chose jenners or hunchbacks as well.

Unlike the founders program though, Phoenix starts you off with light mechs, and only as you pay more do you get the heavier ones. Not hard to read between the lines here. In a meta dominated by assaults, if you want the assault mech, you have to buy the most expensive option. Because who are we kidding? The Battlemaster will clearly be better than the Locust. It HAS to be better. It financially benefits PGI for it to be better. And Assaults will continue to be better than their lighter counterparts. Not different, not playing a different role. Better.

So, thanks but no thanks. If I'm still playing this game when that content is released--if this game is still up and running when that content is released, I'll buy the assault mech with what will probably be upwards of 400m cbills i'll have by then, and stomp the talon/storm/guardian tier phoenixers. I'll just have to live with the knowledge that the overlord phoenixers got a bunch of mechbays and premium time and 9 crap mechs with their 3 decent ones. AND MEDALLIONS!

******** pgi, get off your ***** and fix the single-variable changes that have been broken for months now

Another baddie making posts based on this own terrible gaming perspective. Atlas's routinely do less than 200 damage on most matches because of bad builds and bad players. So lets not get carried away.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users