Petition For More Phoenix Options

135 replies to this topic

Poll: yes/no (341 member(s) have cast votes)

I want to pick the phoenix mechs I get

1. Yes (235 votes [68.91%])

Percentage of vote: 68.91%

2. No (106 votes [31.09%])

Percentage of vote: 31.09%

Which phoenix mechs are you interested in (can pick multiple)

1. Locust (109 votes [13.23%])

Percentage of vote: 13.23%

2. Shadow Hawk (232 votes [28.16%])

Percentage of vote: 28.16%

3. Thunderbolt (231 votes [28.03%])

Percentage of vote: 28.03%

4. Battlemaster (252 votes [30.58%])

Percentage of vote: 30.58%

Would you like a 30$ tier for one mech of choice?

1. yes (188 votes [56.46%])

Percentage of vote: 56.46%

2. no (145 votes [43.54%])

Percentage of vote: 43.54%

If you could pick JUST ONE what would it be?

1. Locust (11 votes [5.09%])

Percentage of vote: 5.09%

2. Shadow Hawk (61 votes [28.24%])

Percentage of vote: 28.24%

3. Thunderbolt (52 votes [24.07%])

Percentage of vote: 24.07%

4. Battlemaster (92 votes [42.59%])

Percentage of vote: 42.59%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 ryoma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:42 PM

Let's not forget that the founder packs contained enough MC to buy equivalents to all the stuff in a Phoenix pack and more.

#102 Mahws

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:01 PM

View Poststjobe, on 30 June 2013 - 08:48 AM, said:

This needs to be quoted.

The Founder packs were:
Legendary ($120): Four 'mechs, 90 days premium time, 20,000MC and some other stuff.
Elite ($60): One 'mech, 60 days premium, 20,000MC, and some other stuff.
Veteran ($30): NO MECH, 30 days premium, 10,000MC, and some other stuff.

So the least you had to pay to get a single 'mech was $60.

Suddenly $80 for twelve 'mechs doesn't seem so bad, now does it?

Yep!
The Veteran pack ($30) got me just under $50 worth of MC and early access to the game. Damn fine value, I got a hero mech, more mechbays than I can poke a stick at and a few camo colours and patterns for my money.

Definitely not as good as the $20 Locust pack that gives me early access to nothing at all and at the very best $20 worth of value. But the Pheonix locust might benefit from its Cbill earning bonus if the game meta is changed so dramatically that a mech that's currently completely and utterly non-viable compared to any other light mech suddenly becomes useful. Now that's value!

As for the $80 pack, yes, it's good value. You can pat yourself on the back for buying it. What does that have to do with whether the $20 and $40 packs are worth their price points?

View PostJosef Nader, on 30 June 2013 - 05:07 AM, said:

Sure, the higher tier you go the better deal you get. This is how all of PGI's monitization schemes have worked so far. Why are people surprised by this?

The more MC/Premium Time you buy at once, the more you get, often with a very large gap in value. It's how the system is built.

It's almost like I addressed this right above your post and you didn't even bother to read it! How odd is that?

No one is complaining that you get more when you pay more, they're complaining that the $20 and $40 packs are completely and utterly unattractive.

#103 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:36 AM

View PostSelfish, on 25 June 2013 - 05:19 PM, said:

It's actually going to ramp the sales up. Heavy Metal was the test-bed for this, not the Founders program. Note that the Battlemaster won't be available for 3 months after it's available to those who purchase.

This is actually the cause of the complaints, people don't want to shell out $80 but they also don't want to wait 3 months

#104 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:24 AM

View Posthammerreborn, on 29 June 2013 - 02:53 PM, said:

I'm okay with this, but that's a far cry from what OP is asking.

Which is why I'm suggesting compromises between "Insane consumer demand" and "money-grubbing corporate pricing schedule." :D

#105 ryoma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:01 PM

Such a compromise would get my money within a month for sure.

#106 BladeSplint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:27 PM

View Postryoma, on 25 June 2013 - 05:16 PM, said:

Founders pack we got to choose. Limiting choice can only lose them money.

WE? I don't see a founder's tag next to your name. You don't like the deal they're presenting? Fine, don't buy into it. Just buy the regular versions and continue to enjoy the game without contributing a dime.

And if you aren't enjoying the game what are you still doing on the forums?

#107 ryoma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:19 PM

Who said I wasn't enjoying or supporting the game? I almost was a founder, but I was very low on funds back then. I actually signed up for this game within 1 hour of the Pilot name registration going up.

I've also spent somewhere between 100-200 dollars since December.

The only reason I made this thread is because I want to spend more money on a Phoenix pack, but the amount I can spend (at most 40$) would be a waste because the 20-40 dollar packs are ****.

Edit: I will admit I am unhappy with the wording they used for 3PV. Reeks heavily of Lawyer speak.

Edited by ryoma, 01 July 2013 - 07:27 PM.

#108 Dragonkindred

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • 160 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

View PostBladeSplint, on 01 July 2013 - 06:27 PM, said:

WE? I don't see a founder's tag next to your name. You don't like the deal they're presenting? Fine, don't buy into it. Just buy the regular versions and continue to enjoy the game without contributing a dime.

And if you aren't enjoying the game what are you still doing on the forums?

I have to ask. Why all the hate for people asking for a different deal? Does it hurt you personally that someone wants something different? Does it affect your game?

If someone wants something different, it is their prerogative to ask. So what if they don't like what's on offer? You like it. Good for you. I'm happy for you. There is no need to go berating people for asking for something different.

I'm not just saying this to you BladeSplit, this is for all the nay sayers. Unfortunately you just happened to be the last one I saw. So my apologies for that.

#109 Kell Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 141 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:29 PM

....really people..... stop complaining about it and either buy it or DON'T buy it. It's an amazing deal! Quit crying that you have to shell out more money for the battle master. If you don't want the locus then fine.

Pgi didn't HAVE to do this sale at all! probably would have gotten more profit by selling them individually with a higher cost involved!

The heavy metal was what? $30? all by itself?

These mechs are much better than hero mechs because once you max out xp it doesn't really matter! Loyalty points however will be MUCH more useful!

Your getting your moneys worth when you buy the package if you can't afford it (I won't be able to afford it) then wait and buy the standard versions with mc!

Again I dont believe I will have enough money saved up to afford this either. but im not ********* about it because I know those people who have bought them have received a good deal!

/end rant

Edited by Kell Morgan, 01 July 2013 - 07:31 PM.

#110 ryoma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:32 PM

Except the only good deal is the 80$ deal.

20 gets you a ****** light mech, the two mechs bays you'll get from scrapping them, and a forum badge. If you order before July 25th you also get a month of premium. This is a terrible "deal."

#111 ryoma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:47 AM

Maybe allow us to exchange mechs we don't want for MC, C-Bills, or Premium time?

#112 GreenHawk

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:42 AM

Personally, I would spend $20 on a $10 item that I want before I would spend $80 on $160 worth of stuff I am only partly interested in.

Though I would like the two higher end mechs, I just do not see myself playing this game that much going forward as I have rarly played it these last several months. Heck, I still have my founder VIP time and a large chunk of MC.

I think it just stems from being put off from what I hoped the game would be when I put down for the founder pack vs where it is currently.

I'll just sit back and wait I think. Maybe when there is a server down under (local) and the clans have arrived (and to be silly, the game is out of "beta").

#113 Congzilla

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:15 AM

View PostCorbon Zackery, on 25 June 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

There all on the list as unseen mechs so get them now before Harmony Gold issues a cease and desist order. For a halt of production.

Harmony Gold wasn't the copyright holder for these mechs. The unseen were from several different companies.

#114 AntharPrime

• 1,144 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:56 PM

In all likelyhood, the existing packages won't change. With the Founders the only thing that changed was you could change your mech choice for the Elite tier up until you got the package. I was so impressed that I bought 2 Founders plans, Legendary and Elite (for my son). I have never been with a game from the ground-up like this and it encourages me to buy the Overlord. I had a choice not to buy Founders and I had a choice not to buy Phoenix. If I hadn't bought into either, I would have bought MC during the black Friday sale just to buy mech bays and that's it.

I would have purchased anywhere from $120-$300 per year in games anyways (so far I spent $260 for the first 2 years of my involvement, something I thought I would never do with an online game) and graphics-wise Mechwarrior Online is good, they just have to improve the effiencies to make the game less of a system hog and drag that Community warfare out into the open kicking and screaming.

PGI promised in the beginning that the only thing that they would be selling is convenience and vanity items. So far, like it or not, that's what they have been selling. You could argue that certain hardpoints in some Hero mechs goes against this but really the difference is only minor like having energy hardpoints in the arms instead of it being divided between torso and arms in non-real money mechs. There are mechs from other chassis that do have that type of hardpoint layout, so it isn't so bad. But back to my point is that they are only selling boosts to earnings and trinket and I hope that it works because that allows other players to play with no or very little investment.

I can sympathise with your plight, but it was a smart marketing decision on the part of PGI to put the Battlemaster in the $80 tier just look at the results in the other poll on the purchased tier. As a Lyran, I approve of their efforts.

#115 Mahws

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:02 PM

Bit of a leap in logic there.

You're assuming that the lost sales from the lower tiers became sales of higher tiers, rather than just being lost altogether. Having ~90% of your sales in one product isn't a sign your business is doing well, it's a sign that 3/4 of your products are doing miserably and losing you potential customers.

#116 AntharPrime

• 1,144 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:14 PM

View PostMahws, on 08 July 2013 - 06:02 PM, said:

Bit of a leap in logic there.

You're assuming that the lost sales from the lower tiers became sales of higher tiers, rather than just being lost altogether. Having ~90% of your sales in one product isn't a sign your business is doing well, it's a sign that 3/4 of your products are doing miserably and losing you potential customers.

No more than a leap of logic in assuming that they are not making money because of not providing certain features with the cheaper options. That Battlemaster with the bonuses is worth $30 in and of itself, now add the mech bay and premium time even without the shiny trinkets and 2 other mechs with their own mechbays. If this would be allowed, the $80 tier would not be the best option.

#117 Riptor

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:22 PM

View PostAntharPrime, on 08 July 2013 - 08:14 PM, said:

No more than a leap of logic in assuming that they are not making money because of not providing certain features with the cheaper options. That Battlemaster with the bonuses is worth $30 in and of itself, now add the mech bay and premium time even without the shiny trinkets and 2 other mechs with their own mechbays. If this would be allowed, the $80 tier would not be the best option.

No.. no it is not worth 30 $

IT was never worth 30 $

It has this price because PGI says it cost that much. It has absolutely no basis in reality. We are talking about a completly digital good, something that costs almost nothing to reproduce once made and can be duplicated infinitly without adding any cost to it

The same reason people call ******** when EA demands 60 dollars for a digital download the same price for a boxed game. And even then.. it costs millions upon millions to make a triple A title and they sell it for 2 battlemasters? Great worth i say. Must have cost them a couple of millions to code those battlemasters if they think 30 dollars is a fair price.

It is an arbritrary number made up by a board meeting and knowing that suckers will buy anything aslong as its shiny. You can get an entire new game for that price and here you are praising the fact that a line of code "only" costs you the price of an entire new game that has been out for a month or two.

Heck if you use steam sales you can get 3 to 4 games for that money.

Please explain to me where a SINGLE battlemaster in this game is worth the equivalent of those games ESPECIALY since that battlemaster will never really be owned by you and will simply disapear should anything happen to the game that forces PGI to shut it down.

Its okay that you dont seem to have a problem with paying that much money for a virtual good, but dont show me a lump of lead and claim its gold.

#118 AntharPrime

• 1,144 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

View PostRiptor, on 08 July 2013 - 10:22 PM, said:

No.. no it is not worth 30 $ IT was never worth 30 $ It has this price because PGI says it cost that much. It has absolutely no basis in reality. We are talking about a completly digital good, something that costs almost nothing to reproduce once made and can be duplicated infinitly without adding any cost to it The same reason people call ******** when EA demands 60 dollars for a digital download the same price for a boxed game. And even then.. it costs millions upon millions to make a triple A title and they sell it for 2 battlemasters? Great worth i say. Must have cost them a couple of millions to code those battlemasters if they think 30 dollars is a fair price. It is an arbritrary number made up by a board meeting and knowing that suckers will buy anything aslong as its shiny. You can get an entire new game for that price and here you are praising the fact that a line of code "only" costs you the price of an entire new game that has been out for a month or two. Heck if you use steam sales you can get 3 to 4 games for that money. Please explain to me where a SINGLE battlemaster in this game is worth the equivalent of those games ESPECIALY since that battlemaster will never really be owned by you and will simply disapear should anything happen to the game that forces PGI to shut it down. Its okay that you dont seem to have a problem with paying that much money for a virtual good, but dont show me a lump of lead and claim its gold.

Oh I agree that their price point is too high (at least for me personally). That's why I have waited until the "sales" where the price is a bit more reasonable. Unfortunately though, that seems to be the standard in the game market at the moment, MWO is actually selling lower than other games, Star Trek online sells $159.99 Legacy packs, Neverwinter sell $199.99 Hero of the North pack while MWO's biggest was the Legendary Founder's pack at $120. In all games they set a price for the content, whether it has that value or not to the customer is left up to the individual.

I applaud however that games have moved away from the subscription model in an effort to recognize that players are content in the game.

#119 KuruptU4Fun

• 1,748 posts
  • LocationLewisville Tx.

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:49 PM

View PostVolume, on 30 June 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

Typical Stockholm Syndrome.

That's much different. That was a YEAR ago. They went on sale June 19th 2012. The game was different and many people purchased bundles to get into the beta, and had different expectations for where the game would be right now.

If you came in with expectations then people are already GOING to be disappointed. So that little point of fact is on those who had expectations going in, not PGI. I bought the Legendary pack knowing I was getting by what was listed, not assuming anything. I've been on the same roller coaster ride everyone else has been since then. I've been happy and disappointed many times.

With this pack I know in order to get my monies worth I might as well master out and keep every mech I bought. Instead of maxing out the only one I like and then selling it for the empty mech bay.

I can say I've gotten my monies worth with the founders package, and I've invested more as well. Currently I'm holding anything else back for certain reasons. But I have confidence that PGI will get this game to a place where it's enjoyed at by many people and the longevity in game play will be there...

Edited by KuruptU4Fun, 09 July 2013 - 02:51 PM.

#120 ryoma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:12 PM

At the very least I hope PGI takes the feedback in this and similar threads into account for the next set of packs.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users