#21 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:16 AM

Had this in the other Project Phoenix page, but it might make more sense here:

Another reason I'm willing to fork over $80 bucks for this thing, despite my (mostly) platonic love affair with the Battlemaster, is the cost it represents in time.

So in this package, if you fork over the funds even for the lowest one, and discounting the mechbays, which you'd probably have to pay for, but could conceivably get by selling old mechs, it takes a great deal of playing time to build up enough funds to buy a single mech.

Here's just a few (REAL general) numbers.

While games could potentially go 15 minutes, they usually go around 10, and some are over in 8 or less. Let's go with 10 minutes for the average match.

Even in a bad match, I'll usually clear 150k in c-bills pretty easily. Taking into account bad players and good players, let's go with 200k in c-bills each match.

The cheapest mech out there is the Commando 1B at 1.6 million c-bills. The most expensive is around 10.9 million (Stalker 5S, for some reason). I'm guessing the Locus will be at the low end of this, so rather than go with an average, let's just assume it's going to be comparable to the Commando 1B and call it 1.6 million.

1,600,000 / 200,000 = 8, so it would take 8 matches or 80 minutes to be able to afford one Locust. To buy all three with c-bills alone would take over four hours, which could be worth it. Of course, there's a safe bet you'll want to tweak the original builds and you can probably tack on an hour or two of play-time on top of that.

Let's call that six hours or so to get all three Locusts in the smallest package. Depending on what you do with your free time, that might be worth it, especially if you have three mechs sitting in your stable that you don't use (and by selling them, you could afford the Locusts that much faster).

At the largest package, you have to take into account that the mechs are going to be far more expensive. The Battlemaster is an 85 ton mech and the Thunderbolt is 65, roughly the same as a Stalker and a Catapult, so the price in c-bills will be in that neighborhood.

In order to afford one Battlemaster (guessing low that it will be in the 9,000,000 range), you would need to play an average of 45 matches, or for seven and half hours. To buy one. Of course, if you're a rockstar, you might be able to knock that out much faster and it would make sense to just grind it out rather than fork over the funds, but to buy just one mech, you're looking at nearly eight hours to buy one mech.

To buy all three, you're probably looking at 23 hours or so of playing, JUST to get all three Battlemasters.

For the entire package...well, you get the idea: you're probably looking at a few weeks of gaming JUST to buy the 12 mechs in the package and that doesn't even include the ancillary benefits of the mechbays, premium time, and so on.

For you, it might make sense to just play it out. For me? My time is precious and I have a lot of things to do outside of this game - for me, it's worth it to pay $80 to get a package of cool stuff rather than sit in front of my computer for two weeks straight, never leaving my desk, and eventually starving to death, friendless, as my dogs eat my corpse.

That's just me.

Edited by Dawnstealer, 28 June 2013 - 07:18 AM.

#22 ORIGINAL SteelWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 460 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe land of ID.

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:47 PM

View PostBrown Hornet, on 28 June 2013 - 04:07 AM, said:

I bought the $0 package, then popped down $125 on Star Citizen

Either my lower leg actuator assembly is being laterally stretched or i missed something.

#23 KitK

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 297 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:23 PM

View PostDawnstealer, on 28 June 2013 - 07:16 AM, said:

For you, it might make sense to just play it out. For me? My time is precious and I have a lot of things to do outside of this game - for me, it's worth it to pay $80 to get a package of cool stuff rather than sit in front of my computer for two weeks straight, never leaving my desk, and eventually starving to death, friendless, as my dogs eat my corpse.

Yep, lots of people buy mechs with MC with this in mind or Trial by Fire sales wouldn't keep happening. For the folks who do, this is a very, very, attractive promotion.

Do you run Heroes with premium time? I wish I could average 200K per match. (this is to add to your argument) I don't use premium time and only clear a +100K average when I exclusively run my Pretty Baby. I average about 6.5 games per day. So yeah, grinding for all of these could be a long term commitment for a lot of players. (Not that this is bad in and of itself because of the fun and practice.)

#24 KIABOT

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA, USA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:55 PM

So umm... purchased the overlord but i dont see where i got anything from it. What am i missing?

#25 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:12 PM

View PostORIGINAL SteelWolf, on 28 June 2013 - 12:47 PM, said:

Either my lower leg actuator assembly is being laterally stretched or i missed something.

He means he paid to win on a game which sounds great but isn't coming for another 2 or so years. :D

#26 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:16 PM

View PostKIABOT, on 28 June 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

So umm... purchased the overlord but i dont see where i got anything from it. What am i missing?

"Explained in English" from the FAQ:

The first 30 days premium comes on the next maintenance (if you bought it after the server shutdown today, it'll be next weekend. If you bought it before, then you already have it.)

The big package is delivered on October 15th, 2013 in one lump goody bag of 12 mechs, the other 90 days of premium, more cockpit items than you know what to do with, and a brand new pair of knickers to wear since you'd brown your old ones when the moment arrives. The delivery will most likely be at 1 PM Eastern Standard Time (10 AM Pacific) with a huge patch, to be seen when the patch finishes downloading and you log into the game at that time.

That said: Gimme NAO!

Edited by Koniving, 28 June 2013 - 05:17 PM.

#27 FireBerretta

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 169 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:23 PM

I just couldn't resist buying the overlord package. I'm probably going to buy it for my son as well. It's a good deal no matter how you look at it.

#28 Cold Cash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 165 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:28 PM

Damn the med to heavies seem to have great hardpoints and actually semi decent starting loadouts.
The shadow seems limited by its weight, but the Tbolt and battlemaster seem to have amazing hardpoints to weight.

I can pretty easily see what loadout my shad will have as a skirmisher, but the Tbolt and Bmaster have such a huge range of potential loadouts ill see how the meta looks.

Edited by Cold Cash, 28 June 2013 - 05:33 PM.

#29 Reflexive

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 5 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:38 PM

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

#30 Peter Montgomery

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:24 PM

If I buy this, when will the mechs be available?

#31 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:00 PM

Your question has already been answered above Peter, but in case you missed it we do not get them 'till October.

I have a question about the forum tags, I am planning on the Overlord package, but what if I want the talon tag? Supposing what they are showing for that is what we get, I would much rather have the talon next to my name than the star or lightning bolt...

My question being, if I buy talon then upgrade, would (like anyone would know at this point...)
1: lose the talon symbol while retaining overlord
2: have the option of both (or all if I chose to jump through that hurdle)
3: none of the above, for attempting to cheat the system I lose everything! mwhahahahah!!!!!!
4: other.

Edit:
Also forgot, another question about the emblems..
would we get (assuming overlord status)
5: 4 of 1 emblem (most obvious result for the already housed warriors)
6: 1 each of 4 different emblems (probably what I would want as I semi-roleplay a factionless drifter)
7: somewhere between the two above options
8: nothing (/sarcasm_on) because life hates us and pgi/igp/microsoft are run by ***** and thus we are all in trouble (/sarcasm_off)
9: other?

Edited by Shar Wolf, 02 July 2013 - 08:43 PM.

#32 Hawk819

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,620 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:38 AM

Well, I got it. The Overlord is now officially paid for! All $80.

#33 KitK

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 297 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:14 AM

I still haven't bought it. Really, there is no rush at the moment. It is hard to deny that this is a good sale - even an opportunity. I'm just hesitant to part with my $80 because I'm hesitant to part with my $80. And also because I could live without the Locust and Thunderbolt and maybe the Shadow Hawk, too. I think it boils down to 3 things: You want the Phoenix variants, and/or you don't mind paying for mechs to save time, and/or you want all the content on Oct 18.

I'm neutral on the Phoenix varients and bundled perks; I don't pay for C-Bill mechs; but I like the all-in October content delivery...so, yeah, pretty much gridlocked waiting for a deciding factor.

Edited by KitK, 03 July 2013 - 08:18 AM.

#34 KitK

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

[Edit: OK, I finally broke it right down to cash per item and added it to the graphic. Standard mech costs could vary.]

Added a new Scenario and Other Factor to the guide of things to consider.

Scenario 4: “I’m saving my cash for an MC sale, that way I can buy just what I want when I want.” As far as the cost of MC goes, this is the best (psudeo MC sale) value yet at 590 MC per U.S. dollar. Of course the drawback is that you don’t get to decide how that MC is spent. So, to for it to feel like you are actually getting that good of a deal you’ll have to embrace the idea of purchasing premium time, vanity items, hero mechs and standard mechs with MC.]
Posted Image

Clan Omnimechs: They are coming…we just don’t know when. And you know they'll do a package on that - maybe.]

Edited by KitK, 15 July 2013 - 01:49 PM.

#35 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:30 AM

View PostKoniving, on 28 June 2013 - 05:16 PM, said:

and a brand new pair of knickers to wear since you'd brown your old ones when the moment arrives.

You do have a way with words.

#36 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:16 PM

Well I bought Talon, and then upgraded, so anyone want me to post the answers to my above questions when I find out or will it be redundant then? :P

#37 Racklesnack

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 291 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:22 PM

Might want to contact support if your questions are not answered on here.

#38 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:24 PM

Overlord is worth it. The locust however may be dissappointing, and I would have prefferred it to have 2 energy, 2 missile and 2 ballistics or some such, 4 MG and a MLaser really isnt that much fun. maybe if we are lucky the energy point wont be in the center torso though :P Shame, Locust could easily have been a fun 3 energy point 1 missile point mech or something else.

#39 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

View PostMr Titian, on 19 July 2013 - 07:22 PM, said:

Might want to contact support if your questions are not answered on here.

They really aren't questions I am 'worried' about so to speak, so I have not bothered
(though to be honest it did not even occur to me.... >.>)

- Stuff like which forum tag we would get if we bought low and then upgraded is in no way important to life, or my enjoyment of the game, but rather an intriguing thought that they may not have even considered ;) (and not one I would blame them for not considering either)

Edited for typo >.<

Edited by Shar Wolf, 20 July 2013 - 09:58 AM.

#40 KitK

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 297 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:29 AM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 19 July 2013 - 10:24 PM, said:

Overlord is worth it. The locust however may be dissappointing, and I would have prefferred it to have 2 energy, 2 missile and 2 ballistics or some such, 4 MG and a MLaser really isnt that much fun. maybe if we are lucky the energy point wont be in the center torso though :) Shame, Locust could easily have been a fun 3 energy point 1 missile point mech or something else.

See the LCT-1E (4 energy), LCT-1M (lrms) and LCT-1S (srms) as likely varients. But I agree the 1V is super dissappointing and one of the reasons I still haven't coughed up the dough with only a couple of days to go.

Edited by KitK, 22 July 2013 - 06:29 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users