Light Hunter Builds?

66 replies to this topic

#1 Benjamin Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 367 posts
  • LocationIn my Spider 5D, killing all your Dire Wolves.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

So I've made all kinds of builds so far, from close brawlers to scouts to snipers. I haven't yet built a missile boat, but I've got plenty of ideas on that score. What I need is a light-hunter. My Jenner and my X5 aren't bad, but I'm really wanting to know what is out there for a good light hunter. I honestly can't say that I've encountered many mechs that appeared to be dedicated light hunters in the field, so I've had all sorts of different thoughts on a good build for the role. Whatcha got? =]

#2 POOTYTANGASAUR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 595 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:15 AM

Have a Yen-lo-Wang? toss in an xl300, ams, ac20(4tons ammo), remove 2 points(not tons) of armor. and dominate lights and fast meds. You could also buy a treb toss in streaks med lasers and the biggest engine you can fit(xl if you are comfortable with it)

Edited by POOTYTANGASAUR, 27 June 2013 - 06:16 AM.

#3 Kazly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:17 AM

What are you best at hitting lights with? Lasers? Ballistics? If none of the above, get BAP and some streaks.

#4 Mokou

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 417 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:07 AM

http://mechromancer....1,0,1,0,0,0,0,0

Some thing like this?

#5 Benjamin Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 367 posts
  • LocationIn my Spider 5D, killing all your Dire Wolves.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:47 PM

View PostPOOTYTANGASAUR, on 27 June 2013 - 06:15 AM, said:

Have a Yen-lo-Wang? toss in an xl300, ams, ac20(4tons ammo), remove 2 points(not tons) of armor. and dominate lights and fast meds. You could also buy a treb toss in streaks med lasers and the biggest engine you can fit(xl if you are comfortable with it)

Don't have a Wang yet, but I'm liking the idea of the Treb. I've never piloted one but it's an old favourite so I plan to get one soon enough. Right now I'd prefer to optimize my builds rather than buy a new one, but that's definitely one I'll consider.

View PostKazly, on 27 June 2013 - 06:17 AM, said:

What are you best at hitting lights with? Lasers? Ballistics? If none of the above, get BAP and some streaks.

Pretty good with lasers since they've been my primary weapons since I started playing. I'm just now running a ballistic heavy build.

View PostMokou, on 27 June 2013 - 08:07 AM, said:

Thaaaat is exactly what I was looking for. I actually bought that model Centurion the other day planning to build exactly that, but I wanted to see someone do it before me to get more of an idea exactly what to do. I LIKE that.

#6 Violent Tendencies

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 102 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:52 PM

I eat lights all day in my Trebuchet 7m: XL325 engine, 3-MPLS, 3-SSRM2, BAP

#7 LastPaladin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 596 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

Here's a light hunter build I've been using that is pretty fun:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2fd653438a14ea6

Basically, a zombie CN-9A light hunter. Does 89 kph with the speed tweak, which is enough to keep up with most lights for long enough to mess them up. You've got the AC/2 to give you a little bit of long range capability (until someone shoots your right arm off), and then the 3 streaks and BAP to really mess up lights (until someone shoots your left torso off). The torso usually lasts much longer in most fights, because everyone aims for your right side to take out the cannon, and then the center torso to kill you. If all else fails, you have the 2 m lasers left to fight with until your CT or legs are gone.

If you want, you can ditch the BAP and get full armor and either another ton of ammo or an extra heat sink, but the BAP is pretty essential for doing as much damage as possible to ECM lights.

View PostKazly, on 27 June 2013 - 06:17 AM, said:

What are you best at hitting lights with?

Yup, that is really essential. Anything can be a light hunter, if you can actually hit the lights with the weapons, and the weapons are strong enough to kill or maim them before they can escape. It's counterintuitive, but I get tons of light kills with an Ilya Muromets with dual guass and 3 mlasers, because it doesn't need to chase lights at all. I just need to wait for them to try to backshoot me, then spin around and alpha their leg or CT to dust in one shot :)

#8 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:59 PM

Light Mechs were partly why I put an LBX into my HBK-4H plus 4 MLs. The Cent with LBX and Streaks looks good too. I would basically say anything that can use LBX/SSRM should do well.

#9 KrazedOmega

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 499 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:58 PM

Another option. QKD-4H

#10 ohtochooseaname

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 440 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

The Treb 3C can make for a decent light hunter: 4 ML's (3 are arm mounted) + 2 SSRM2's, and go ~126 kph. Before the SSRM nerf, this thing chewed through lights.

#11 J I N

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:11 AM

I feel like there are 2 ways to fight lights.
1. Use pinpoint damage like ACs, PPCs
For example my CN9-D uses 2x AC5 for high pinpoint damage (with 2x ML as support) to fight lights.

2. Use spread damage like Rockets and Lasers (a fast light is able to spread Lasers all over... :huh: )
--> SSRM lost some of their punch, because of the new spread pattern... so I prefer everything else right now(except for my 4x SSRM, 2x LRM Catapult^^)
For example my JR7-D uses 4x ML and 2x SRM4 for a high alpha hit, if a light slows down for any reason. Thanks to the speed with an XL300 you are able to follow anything and wait for a chance to use your 1t of ammo. ;-D
If you want an easier way of playing the JR7-F is the thing to go for me. 6x ML are quite hot, but you can do two alphas (on a hot map) before you should use chainfire, which is enought damage to chew down any light pretty fast.

Otherwise i feel like most mechs should not be build to fight lights... if you have 80+kph you should be able to follow a light long enought to hit him hard with any kind of weapon, so I prefer builds like the ones mentioned above, to take on any mech I meet. :P

#12 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:11 AM

Centurion 9A with the largest XL, SSRM6 and LBX10. That's the one I own.

From my field experience, other Light hunters include of course Jenner 7D with 4xSPL and Streaks, 7F with SPL, ECMando and surprisingly TDK with 4xSPL.

Edited by Helmstif, 20 July 2013 - 09:19 AM.

#13 William Mountbank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 671 posts
  • LocationBayern

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:42 AM

Trebs and Ravens are top of the pack when it comes to getting kills on my Spider. I also have some success with a top speed XL Quickdraw loading JJs, 2LLs, MLs and SSRMs when I'm hunting lights myself. It's somewhat effective against other heavies in a scrum too, despite the size (larger than an Atlas) - and it's not a glass cannon like the Cataphracts.

But basically: any mech with BAP, non-pulse lasers and SSRMs on a chassis that has a top speed at least 100kph. Arm mounted lasers on heavier mechs is also essential.

#14 zraven7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationDuluth, Georgia

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:24 AM

All the Trebuchets make excellent light hunters. They can all equip multiple lasers, all but one can equip multiple missiles, and all have a decent speed. I'd recommend either the 7m, with a build similar to this:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...603021cbdf193da

Or a 3C, built like so:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...213bbd6122ef902

The 7M gives you firepower and Jump Jets, helping you to maintain lock with your streaks, and the 3C lets you keep up with the light you're chasing, letting you keep on pressure and lock. Bothe have more armor than a Light, letting you soak some damage while you rip off raven legs.

#15 Warge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • LocationKiyiv

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:31 AM

View PostBenjamin Davion, on 26 June 2013 - 09:07 PM, said:

dedicated light hunters in the field, so I've had all sorts of different thoughts on a good build for the role. Whatcha got? =]

3*SRM6 or 2*SRM6 Centurion, imho.

#16 Vincian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

This build. Or change 3xMPL to 2xLL. You can save that tonnage somewhere. I prefer the longer range of the LL to more speed.

View PostViolent Tendencies, on 27 June 2013 - 05:52 PM, said:

I eat lights all day in my Trebuchet 7m: XL325 engine, 3-MPLS, 3-SSRM2, BAP

Edited by Vincian, 24 July 2013 - 09:19 AM.

#17 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,074 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:24 PM

Jenner d with two smls, two mls and two srm4s with an xl245 or 255. Go for the legs and once the other light realize it's the only part you're aiming for will try and run away.

#18 PinCushion

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:17 AM

I'm eager to hear more on this topic. Thus far I've been using a Catapult A1, with half LRMs and half SSRMs. It's good at chasing them off, since most Light mech pilots run as soon as the SSRM spam starts. It's terrible at actually chasing them down, and since it doesn't have a slot for a TAG the LRM half really relies on others. In short, it's bad.

I might give a Treb a try.

#19 Drehl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 320 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:28 AM

as a light (jenner f) pilot the (imo) worst build to run into is another jenner f with 6 SPLs or a streaktcat. the latter is easy to outrun and shoot at from + 270 m away... the former is imo the best lighthunter in existance.

it is not realy easy to play and isn't as good as the 6 ml jenner at hit and running against anything bigger then another light, but it eats every other light alive. very nasty little thing.

#20 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:43 AM

I think I go with this.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b3c17bb11b7a8e0

Sometimes I'll drop the BAP for more armor or an AMS system, but you're typically moving so fast, AMS is just window dressing. The BAP is good for breaking down ECM on Ravens, Spiders, and Commandos.

With more armor than a Jenner and, with the speed cap, as fast as every light (you have to be careful not to run PAST Commandos), this is my Light-killer.

I split the lasers into two groups of three, left-button/right-button, and then one-two punch my way across the map. When not hunting Lights, it's an awesome harasser.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users