522 replies to this topic

#81 Monky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

I think this is overall a really well put together idea - penalties may be a bit too steep in some cases/chassis or not steep enough in others, however now mobility is a key factor of a chassis, not just engine size. This makes jumpjets as maneuvering tools rather than combat equipment far more viable.

Edited by Monky, 27 June 2013 - 12:23 PM.

#82 Shumabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:21 PM

View PostDeathofSelf, on 27 June 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

Wait, you're saying the game was created around science fiction? That's crazy talk, I thought this was real life

Science fiction doesn't mean cartoonishly wrong things are ok.

#83 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:21 PM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 31 May 2013 - 11:06 AM, said:

Ask the Devs #39

Prosperity Park: Are there any longer-term plans to add a Deep Water penalty to the movement speed of Mechs traveling through significantly-deep water?
A: We’re adding some new movement code that will make mechs behave more realistically when traversing rolling terrain. Once in, we can examine adding water friction if we feel it will add a benefit to gameplay.

Yeah, baby, yeah! This does make me randy.

Well, the water thing not so much, but the foreknowledge of this movement change made me excited, and now my excitement is fruiting! It's fruiting hardcore.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 27 June 2013 - 12:24 PM.

#84 Harabeck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:28 PM

This sounds awesome.

Question: will running into another mech count as hitting a vertical wall, thus slowing us?

#85 ivr56

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

Good thing 80% of my mechs are jump capable :(
Awesome work should add much more variety to Alpline and Caustic

#86 Jetfire

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

View PostFrDrake, on 27 June 2013 - 11:01 AM, said:

I gotcha, you're looking for the old "don't get in front of the 18 wheeler when he goes down the hill" acceleration. Yea, I'd support that too !

Actually I very much doubt a mech can shift into neutral and coast like that, nor does it have wheels that just free roll. It should work like it does now, either slip or move at the set speed. This adds slip on the incline rather than just the decline.

Edited by Jetfire, 27 June 2013 - 12:30 PM.

#87 Tsunamisan

• 1,568 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:30 PM

I'll reserve my feedback until i see ho much it actually impacts the mechs movement up a hill. If there gonna slow light mechs down any more then its just time to quit. I like the idea of the travers-able and non travers-able areas but the movement decreases are where its gonna hit me. anything but light pilots will not be effected but as light = speed = life if you slow them down any mire there just fodder. as with the legging there just worthless if they loose leg.

#88 Rat of the Legion Vega

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 384 posts

Seems legit. 'Cause you know, Stalker needed yet another buff and Catapult needed yet another nerf.

#89 Hobo Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 597 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationWest Virginia

The following comment was just made in this thread by Kevin Meek; FYI

View PostKevin Meek, on 27 June 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

Regarding posts on why 'Mechs with heavier in-game tonnage can find themselves in a smaller archetype:

In addition to the movement for slopes, those archetypes are also consolidating the Mech vs world collision capsules.

Before this system, each 'Mech would have its own pill-shaped collision proxy fitted for its rough shape, making a ton of different 'Mechs get stuck in slightly different locations. Now, with 5 capsules, we can design levels for specific collision capsule sizes, and find/fix stuck bugs much easier.

For that reason, the 'Mech archetypes looked at grouping relative size (height, length, and width) as its main consideration. Because of the extra big shoulders of the missile boxes, and the very long nose, the catapult would need to be in a larger capsule category than the heavier Cataphract. I don't think that you'll find the movement abilities between two neighboring archetypes so substantial that it would be effectively nerfing or giving substantial advantages to any 'Mech that seems out of order due to its assumed weight but smaller frame. Especially with engine speed and momentum of lighter 'Mechs still being factored in (read: a slow moving Cataphract in a smaller movement archetype is going to probably still have a harder longer time than a faster moving Catapult at climbing any substantial hill).

That being said, it's easy enough to switch some 'Mechs into a different archetype or to tune the climb angles for any archetype if needed. I don't forsee any issues with the current grouping but you don't have to worry that things are 100% set in stone as far as grouping or angles are concerned.

Triple clarification: Collision capsules for 'Mechs here are just referring to 'Mech vs. world collision, each 'Mech still has its own unique collision proxys for 'Mech vs. weapon.

edit: fixing super f'd up formatting from c/p'ing.

Edited by Hobo Dan, 27 June 2013 - 12:31 PM.

#90 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

great news everyone!

will be interesting, i have doubts about that 45° limit but we'll see how it works.

Oh, and new Ideas for your endgame content:

crawler module - extended spikes on you mech feet allow you to climb 5 degrees steeper angle than usual

offroad module - these larger foot profiles let your mech pass hills with 10 percent more speed

Edited by 627, 27 June 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#91 MeatForBrains

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

View PostDeathofSelf, on 27 June 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

Wait, you're saying the game was created around science fiction? That's crazy talk, I thought this was real life

HAHA of course in today's world the entire GYRO that's huge can probably be replaced by something smaller than my desktop computer, hell probably smaller than my galaxy nexus.

#92 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:35 PM

View PostMeatForBrains, on 27 June 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

HAHA of course in today's world the entire GYRO that's huge can probably be replaced by something smaller than my desktop computer, hell probably smaller than my galaxy nexus.

uhh. lostech.

by the way, you know a wiimote plus? there's your gyro, we use that to stabilize rc-quadrocopters :(

#93 Toolan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 179 posts
  • LocationGermany, Lower Saxony

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:35 PM

Mechs with Hand Actuators can climb...

but THUMBS UP I LOVE IT

and with 12 vs 12 it will be great

Edited by Toolan, 27 June 2013 - 12:43 PM.

#94 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:36 PM

I love it. My only concern is that they may be to restrictive & that they may slow medium & fast mechs down too much making them even more useless and vulnerable. hopefully I'm wrong.

#95 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:41 PM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 27 June 2013 - 12:36 PM, said:

I love it. My only concern is that they may be to restrictive & that they may slow medium & fast mechs down too much making them even more useless and vulnerable. hopefully I'm wrong.

slow mediums should still be able to climb better than Assaults & taller Heavies

#96 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:43 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 27 June 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:

slow mediums should still be able to climb better than Assaults & taller Heavies

According to the Article, that seems to laregly be the case. The Meds all climb faster than the Assaults and most of the Heavies.

#97 NextGame

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:43 PM

hmmm, I have my reservations about this, especially as I don't really like playing jumpjet mechs, and only have jj's on mechs where I have spare tonnage and no other equipment to place. That said, the sniperwarrior online meta is pretty boring, then again will this really change it any?

Also, how does this affect the game timer now that at least 50% more time has to be spent walking around the map. is 15 mins per map enough?

Will have to wait and see I guess, hopefully it turns out alright.

#98 Syrkres

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 488 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:49 PM

Like it, will change the game mechanics.

Would be very interested in how you came up with the groupings...

Quickdraw, Stalker, Victor, Highlander seems out of place (or would like to know how they were grouped)?

Is it because of legs? Chicken legs drop you a category? if so what do hands give you? Having them should be benefit for something?

If legs are a factor why is Commando/Spider in the Tiny category? Again not seeing logic here? So some explanation of how/why groupings were chosen.

#99 Vasces Diablo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • LocationOmaha,NE

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:50 PM

Yes! Thank you! JJ will truly have a purpose now.

Time to go relearn some maps (I'm looking at you Canyon map...)

Edit: looking at the Canyon "heat map" for this update and WOW does this change the way the matches are going to be played on that map.

Edited by Vasces Diablo, 27 June 2013 - 01:06 PM.

#100 hammerreborn

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:50 PM

Will JJs be changed so that they can easily traverse this terrain and not just hillhump their way to the top? I'm thinking more of a springlike boost to get you to max height much faster, then a gradual fall instead of the hoverish we have now.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users