#61 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:54 AM

View PostSignal27, on 27 June 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

Try putting the "full stop" key in a more accessible location, like the shift key, so it's not as much of a pain to stop. Or else you can try the movement mode where the moment you take your finger off the button you stop.

It's not a pain, it's a physical impossibility. Run into a wall. Seriously. Can you keep running with your head glued to the wall or do you either 1) fall down or 2) stop in place because you cannot move any more.

Drive a car. Hit a wall. Can you keep going full throttle without any repercussions or do you STOP first before you can throttle forward?

Well legs can't keep dragging on the ground. It looks like solid waste to see a mech running into a wall and keep trying to push it. Especially if that wall happens to be a bridge no taller than its ankle.

#62 VagGR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 581 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:54 AM

good one...well done devs

#63 MeatForBrains

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

HUGE HEAVY ASSAULT NERF! End of ridge humping?

So PGI is saying the root cause of boating weapons being effective is the ability to ridge hump. Interesting!

Caustic will never be the same.

Edited by MeatForBrains, 27 June 2013 - 11:57 AM.

#64 FoXabre

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

I love having this feature. It will really bring out the benefit of jump capable 'Mechs (aside from jump sniping).However, it would be nice to know what method was used to group the 'Mechs into the 5 categories. It seems a little strange to me. I would think that the basis for categorization could fall upon things like tonnage, weight class, engine size and leg type. At least this makes sense to me. I think some of you figure the same thing. Other than that though, I'm looking forward to see how the changes affect the gameplay. (Edit) Also wanted to add actuators to the list. I read a previous post that made mention of the Quickdraw being known for decent actuators. This could also add some interesting effects when actuators can be damaged. (/Edit)

Edited by FoXabre, 27 June 2013 - 11:58 AM.

#65 Shumabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:57 AM

View PostDeathofSelf, on 27 June 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

Except we aren't built with gyros

Gyros couldn't be used to stabilize a mech, that's nonsense a dude with no knowledge of mechanical systems came up with three decades ago.

View PostMeatForBrains, on 27 June 2013 - 11:56 AM, said:

HUGE HEAVY ASSAULT NERF! End of ridge humping?

So PGI is saying the root cause of boating weapons being effective is the ability to ridge hump. Interesting!

I do not think that is what they are saying here.

#66 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:59 AM

Will you have a separate map for Forest Colony Snow? I'm speaking specifically of the avalanche area....

#67 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

View PostAssiah, on 27 June 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

It really shouldn't be though, but thats another argument.

But this is PGI so I'm sure they just took a quick glance at the mechs and randomly put them in categories.

On that one though:

Dragon's weakness is the potbelly.

Quickdraw's weakness is the giant head (the main thing making it taller since it squats to almost the same shoulder-to-shoulder height as the dragon). Yes the legs are taller but it doesn't walk straight up.

I'm curious to see the other weaknesses of the Phoenix mechs, but I think we'll find some that like them and some that hate them.

I know the Victor if we go by the Dragon slayer is just as wide as the Awesome, but doesn't have the drooping side torsos and instead either side is shaped kinda like one half of a "u." Judging by how far the lasers protrude if the PPCs do the same but farther, it'll be real easy to hit that right side torso.

But yeah. Definitely would be nice if a mech stopped dead if it hit a building, so that we'd at least get the sense of impact. Even in closed beta if you slammed into a building... you just kept walking into it. You slammed into an Atlas and you get knocked down. But into a building? "What building? Wait, why am I not going anywhere? Well that's strange I feel like I'm on one of those endless stairways..."

#68 intothefray

• Pip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 11 posts
  • LocationParis, TX

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:02 PM

Is this going to be setup so that you can quirk out specific mechs later?

I like that you can make faster engine builds with CN9-D and the AWS-9M etc. Not specifically saying those mechs should be moved up/down but I think the quirks add more value to mechs and was wondering if this would allow for that ability from the beginning.

#69 Signal27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:03 PM

View PostKoniving, on 27 June 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

It's not a pain, it's a physical impossibility. Run into a wall. Seriously. Can you keep running with your head glued to the wall or do you either 1) fall down or 2) stop in place because you cannot move any more.

Drive a car. Hit a wall. Can you keep going full throttle without any repercussions or do you STOP first before you can throttle forward?

Well legs can't keep dragging on the ground. It looks like solid waste to see a mech running into a wall and keep trying to push it. Especially if that wall happens to be a bridge no taller than its ankle.

I see where you're coming from now. But I wasn't thinking in terms of smacking into a wall - of course that stops you dead - I was thinking of trying to climb up a steep slope, which I have attempted before, and putting your foot down only to have it slide downward.

#70 Mizore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 427 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:04 PM

I really love this change, this will definitely decrease the ammount of heavies and assaults on the battlefield!

And of course there will be plenty of new strategies you can use... :(

Edited by Mizore, 27 June 2013 - 12:05 PM.

#71 jollyrancher1

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 76 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:06 PM

Just wanted to point out that river city is inaccessible except for the 3 bridges. This will make it almost impossible to attack/flank if the opposing team is holed up there. Why not level out the slope a little on both sides so people can get into that section of the map without having to take a huge open detour to go either to the base then across a bridge or to the other side of the river to get to the bridge. It will be almost impossible to flank and flanking is key in mwo.

#72 Stoicblitzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:06 PM

qkd has kankles.

#73 Nick Drezary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 232 posts
  • LocationMoon

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:07 PM

Posted Image

#74 Jern

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 51 posts
  • LocationAR

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:07 PM

The movement changes are great! I am sure a tremendous amount of work was put into this change and it will have a dramatic and welcome effect on gameplay. (It will add to the sim feel that many of us want). Now the part the disappoints me and in a sense undermines the integrity of this change is the arbitrary looking choices of what mechs go into what category. Umm weight classes already exist and would seem to be a pretty good deliminator for these categories. Not only do they make sense to use.. you likely would not get much negative feedback for using weight categories that already exist in the btech world.

So, I have to ask what is the sense in adding complicated subjective/arbitrary mech to mech choices for these categories? Your going to get flammed for it ... your going to once again add another layer of mech to mech balance inbalance issues that your already failing at. Is the controversy the goal? or can you guys just not help overreaching and adding confusion to even common sense changes?

If any thought was given to these mech to mech choices .. you should considered making it easier for mechs with all of their arm actuators to climb steeper slopes, but in several categories you penalize arm mechs and give bonus to armless mechs ... it is not just baffling it again undermines the work that went into making this change in the first place. Things need to make sense even in a game... please learn that lesson soon.

Edited by Jern, 27 June 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#75 SchwarzerPeter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 202 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

This sounds very promising, thumbs up :(

#76 Corison

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:14 PM

While the 45' change will be a nice addition, the rest is a pointless waste and adds more arbitrary complexity that contributes nothing to the game. Let’s pick a couple random mechs, make them go faster or slower for no real reason on slopes when their speed is already based on tonnage and engine. Yea lets add another hidden stat that wont be communicated well to the general user base!

#77 DeathofSelf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 655 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:16 PM

View PostShumabot, on 27 June 2013 - 11:57 AM, said:

Gyros couldn't be used to stabilize a mech, that's nonsense a dude with no knowledge of mechanical systems came up with three decades ago.

I do not think that is what they are saying here.

Wait, you're saying the game was created around science fiction? That's crazy talk, I thought this was real life

Edited by DeathofSelf, 27 June 2013 - 12:18 PM.

#78 Newclay

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAlberta Canada

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

Wow, just wow...I'm going to put this change into the "Better Then Sliced Bread" category :(

#79 Thuzel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

Great work guys!

#80 V I L I R

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

Absolutely necessary change. It will make the whole flow of the game so much more realistic. Thanks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users