- - - - -

New Battlemech Movement Behaviour - Feedback

522 replies to this topic

#41 Zyllos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:29 AM

I am not sure about some of these qualifications.

Is there actually a difference between the Quickdraw and the Dragon to warrent it to be in different movement classes? Why is the Stalker and the Quickdraw in the same category? The Stalker really needs to be in the Huge category due to Rusty Shackleferd suggestions.

#42 Cest7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationMaple Ditch

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

Hopefully this doesn't change alpine too much :(
Been waiting for some kind of movement fix for a while, does this mean the knockdown code is going to be worked on in the near future?

#43 CutterWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 658 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

Its a step in the right direction for sure but, I want to see them add in moving threw trees & water cutting down your movement speed too. (i.e. the deeper the water the slower you move based on your mechs size) Trees should slow your movement down also based on your mechs size.

#44 DeathofSelf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 655 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

View PostSignal27, on 27 June 2013 - 11:22 AM, said:

What this guy said. I have an elderly mother who has balance issues when walking. She actually goes SLOWER walking downhill than across an even surface. Although younger men like you or I could very well run faster down a steep hill, keep in mind it would take some more effort to remain upright.

That said, I don't agree mechs should go any slower when going downhill.

Except we aren't built with gyros

#45 Yelland

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:39 AM

Would be interesting to know the numbers behind Mech placement -

Large: Quickdraw, Stalker, Awesome, Catapult
SlowdownAngle: 25°

Huge: Atlas, Highlander, Victor
SlowdownAngle: 20°

I don’t disagree with this and actually really like the plan. However, there are enough people asking questions that a Dev explanation might be helpful.

Is it something to do with the legs and amount of lift they have to generate based on the tonnage sitting on each one?

#46 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:40 AM

View PostDeathofSelf, on 27 June 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

oh but we are, its near the ears tho.

Edited by ManDaisy, 27 June 2013 - 11:40 AM.

#47 Tombstoner

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

The value of mediums with JJ has increased. Anything with JJ in fact. Victor's will be interesting.
This is i think a nice addition that was not looked for.

I speculate that the movement patterns on some maps where less then ideal and flat out change the way some maps played and would affect new additions like automated defence turrets is mech movment cant be predictable. it increases the value of scout mechs immensely since they can access areas the larger mechs cant. this will add a nice layer to game play.

#48 Troggy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 213 posts
  • LocationCanada

Actually, this makes sense only for wheeled vehicles. If you held the olympic 100 meter dash on a downslope, I doubt you would see massive (any) increase in speed - aside from falling that is. Just look at the Gloucestershire Cheese Rolling.

If anything, mechs should slow down or fall down, when going down hills.
--
Troggy

Edit: Also, I think this whole idea kicks ***, and kudos to whoever put this together. I think this will breath fresh life into jumpjets and the mechs that carry them.

View PostTennex, on 27 June 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

thats during slip though. during slip mechs have no control over direction of movement. and doesn't really move faster, its just falling.

but even when a mech has traction, and control over movement, its still supposed to speed up when going down hill.

if you read the speed meter in your car travelling uphill, the car will have reduced speeds. if you go down a hill the car will speed up without you pressing any more on the gas.

It just makes sense lol

Edited by Troggy, 27 June 2013 - 11:49 AM.

#49 malibu43

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

View PostDeathofSelf, on 27 June 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

No, but we have brains and inner ears and reflexes and other things that gyros try to simulate.

#50 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

This change will bring JJs back to their intended use in a real hurry. Suddenly I'm glad that I've already tweaked my Jenner and Catapult builds to make sure they've got a few JJs installed.

#51 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

I like this, but I must say this very important thing.

For slopes of 50 (maybe 60) or more don't do the slow down. Do a complete stop as in Cut the Cruise Control.

Nothing frustrates me more than accidentally running into a wall or super steep slope and being unable to turn away from it because my mech is still trying to go forward at full throttle with the server locking me in this action, so I have to manually press stop, back up, and turn away. Sometimes that doesn't even work.

Please cut us to a complete and total stop, with zero thrust in cruise control, when we slam into a wall. Nothing kills you faster than 'running' into a wall as if using poorly written car script on Second Life and not being able to get away from it.

While I'm at it, the same should apply when we run into a mech. Nothing is more mood-breaking than this bug where you get 'stuck' inside of a teammate, (time skipped video where I am stuck in a teammate) and enemies blast you while you struggle to tell the other player to "stop" moving so that the network hiccup will go away.

Thank you. :(

Oh, when will water affect our movement?

View PostZyllos, on 27 June 2013 - 11:29 AM, said:

Is there actually a difference between the Quickdraw and the Dragon to warrent it to be in different movement classes? Why is the Stalker and the Quickdraw in the same category? The Stalker really needs to be in the Huge category due to Rusty Shackleferd suggestions.

Quickdraw is taller and has jumpjets. Taller things have harder trouble keeping balance when going up and down things (trust me, I'm 6'5" and going down a steep slope is not easy; doing it with speed is a sure fire way to face-plant).

I do agree the stalker should have a huge category. In fact it should be larger than huge, as it has nothing to help it maintain balance and no arms to help it climb. It actually looks extremely unnatural climbing even with inverse kinetics.

Edited by Koniving, 29 June 2013 - 06:57 AM.

#52 DeathofSelf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 655 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

Looking at the maps (specifically caustic valley) it would appear that the pipes running around the cooling pools (near one of the spawns) are red (not passable). If I remember correctly they are pretty low to the ground and it wouldn't make much sense if we couldn't walk over them.

#53 BigMekkUrDakka

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 213 posts
  • Locationland of AWESOME pilots

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:48 AM

put stalker in huge category and im fine with those changes, thou canyon will become even more of stalemate now (

#54 Legend_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:49 AM

Definite steps in the right direction, the use of lights and mediums and JJ will be vastly increased. This is the sort of progress needed to shred the 1-dimenionsal monicer the game has picked up.

#55 Ransack

• 1,175 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:49 AM

Interesting. I am curious to see if this will actually work in game.

If you have trouble remembering what areas are navigable while in game, make a rhyme.
Alpine for example: "If it has rock on it - you can't walk on it; if it has snow on it - you can go on it"
Now you will never forget!

This bugs me though. We have more maps with dirt/rocks than snow....

You need to come up with a better one :(

#56 Signal27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

View PostKoniving, on 27 June 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

I like this, but I must say this very important thing.

For slopes of 50 or more don't do the slow down. Do a complete stop.

Nothing frustrates me more than accidentally running into a wall or super steep slope and being unable to turn away from it because my mech is still trying to go forward at full throttle, so I have to manually press stop, back up, and turn away.

Please cut us to a complete and total stop, with zero thrust in cruise control, when we slam into a wall. Nothing kills you faster than 'running' into a wall as if using poorly written car script on Second Life and not being able to get away from it.

Thank you. :(

Oh, when will water affect our movement?

Quickdraw is taller and has jumpjets.

I do agree the stalker should have a huge category. In fact it should be larger than huge, as it has nothing to help it maintain balance and no arms to help it climb.

Try putting the "full stop" key in a more accessible location, like the shift key, so it's not as much of a pain to stop. Or else you can try the movement mode where the moment you take your finger off the button you stop.

#57 zhajin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

View PostNARCoMAN, on 27 June 2013 - 11:13 AM, said:

Great! Can we move on to balance and bug fixing now?

Great! Can we move on to balance and bug fixing now?

this actually is balance and bug fixing....

#58 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

This can't happen soon enough. Thank you thank you.

#59 jakucha

• Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

Can't wait for this. It'll be a big change to gameplay.

#60 Assiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 539 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:54 AM

View PostKoniving, on 27 June 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

Quickdraw is taller and has jumpjets.

It really shouldn't be though, but thats another argument. Even so the Quickdraw should be in the medium category, in the TRO's the QKD is well known for having well designed (even if vulnerable) ankle actuators. It is known to be able to climb steep grades and keep its footing on ice and mud. This is on top of the jumpjets it has. A 60 ton mech that should be the size of the dragon should not be in the same mobility category as the stalker and awesome. I would also make a claim that the Victor and Stalker should trade places.

But this is PGI so I'm sure they just took a quick glance at the mechs and randomly put them in categories.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users