Next Patch Implements End To Ridge Humping? Nerf To Assaults.

133 replies to this topic

#81 Stomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 345 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:47 AM

I'd think that only the heaviest and SLOWEST mechs would struggle to get on top of Canyon Networks... they said it was going to be a slope, and along that slope you would lose speed linearly. SO it follows that if you're moving FAST enough in a big, stompy mech, you'll be able to get up regardless. They just have to be SHORT enough distance. So Canyon Networks should be easily navigable. Alpine Peaks... that's something else entirely.

#82 NovaWasp

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:05 AM

Except no mech can walk or run past 45 degrees.

Slow down will scale linearly. If your mech does 50 and slows down at 25 degrees at 35 degrees you'll be doing 25 and at 45 degrees 0.

We'll see how it goes. Canyon conquest will be won by the team with the jump jets.

#83 Enigmos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:14 AM

View PostRoland, on 28 June 2013 - 05:57 AM, said:

This doesn't even make sense.

A higher center of gravity makes you LESS stable, not moreso.

That is what I said. Your aren't contradicting my observation. Higher center of gravity provides less stability.
Cataphract is short, Quickdraw is tall. Center of gravity on Cataphract is low, on Quickdraw is high. Ergo Quickdraw should be less stable on incline than Cataphract. We agree. It does make sense if you actually read American colloquial English.

#84 Nebuchadnezzar2

• PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:18 AM

Depend on the rate of decceleration but i think most of us still can climb the canyon network (while becoming sitting duck during climbing though)
however I get a feeling that this change will cause match on alpine turns into ankward capping war

#85 DogmeatX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:35 AM

It's a good change and hopefully they'll continue to tweak it.

You shouldn't be able to go up a near vertical incline in an Atlas, using the tips of your feet for grip alone...

#86 Tombstoner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:43 AM

This addition to terrain really makes lights and mech with JJ much more useful. this is needed to bring back some of the role warfare we are missing. I dont think its targeted at any specific mech but game play as a whole. now large areas of maps are inaccessible to heavy's and assaults. This will make for more interesting tactile choices in the future. Every once in a while PGI surprises me and does something to keep me playing.

#87 Accursed Richards

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 412 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:52 AM

This could be a really big change in the right direction, and give mediums a reason to exist. I think I feel the barest flicker of hope in my blackened, withered heart. :huh:

#88 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:02 AM

View PostGhogiel, on 28 June 2013 - 05:01 AM, said:

LOL

Quickdraw is recognized as 'large' by PGI. Bigger than cataphracts and jagers. And less maneuverable even though it's faster and basically a skirmisher in it's intended role.

It's not like the chassis needs a nerf like that because it's so OP..

I have to agree that I don't get how they consider a 60 ton Quickdraw to be bigger and less manuverable than a Cataphract at 70 tons. Having played both, they are pretty similar in size and agility in game right now. Kind of crazy that the QD, a mech designed to be agile striker would have less mobility than a Cataphract. Really hope they don't screw them up too badly as it is my favorite mech.

On the other hand they do have JJs which with a little skill will negate any disadvantge of terrain most of the time. Also this is probably the reason PGI is screwing the QD in the first place by considering it bigger and less agile on slopes. They are probably doing so to give it a little nerf to compensate for its JJs. I mean they definately wouldn't want to totally obsolete the Dragon.

#89 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:08 AM

View PostViktor Drake, on 28 June 2013 - 08:02 AM, said:

I have to agree that I don't get how they consider a 60 ton Quickdraw to be bigger and less manuverable than a Cataphract at 70 tons. Having played both, they are pretty similar in size and agility in game right now. Kind of crazy that the QD, a mech designed to be agile striker would have less mobility than a Cataphract. Really hope they don't screw them up too badly as it is my favorite mech.

On the other hand they do have JJs which with a little skill will negate any disadvantge of terrain most of the time. Also this is probably the reason PGI is screwing the QD in the first place by considering it bigger and less agile on slopes. They are probably doing so to give it a little nerf to compensate for its JJs. I mean they definately wouldn't want to totally obsolete the Dragon.

The groupings looked to be based on both tonnage and leg joint type. The chickenwalkers are mostly grouped together and manwalkers are mostly together.

#90 ICEFANG13

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:09 AM

This is good. Its nice to see it, hopefully a seismic nerf will come with it (or sooner) so that maneuvering through those areas actually matters.

JJs on the Jenner, for actual flight seem a little worthless to me. I never get anywhere with 5, so I usually pack 1 or 2. Maybe someday they will adjust them. They seem to work ok for Catapults, 3Ds, and HIghlanders.

Oh yeah don't forget SSRM fixes too. Now my hopes are getting up...

Edited by ICEFANG13, 28 June 2013 - 08:54 AM.

#91 Burakumin1979

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 100 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:15 AM

Now if they would just introduce a few more changes that cause teams to fracture into separate groups of a predetermined number...they could even have a catchy name for these groups...perhaps a "spear"...the units could be balanced so that they could engage other units of similar size that were sent out with similar strategy in mind...multiple required objectives that reward groups of 3 or even possibly...4

hehe

#92 nemesis271989

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 239 posts
  • LocationDunno

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:45 AM

FINALLY!!! A logical change!!! I've been waiting for it. Everything left is to fix is heat system and High-Alphas .

GREAT JOB PGI!

Edited by nemesis271989, 28 June 2013 - 08:45 AM.

#93 Arden Varr

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:53 AM

Hey, this is a great patch idea. It's a little thing (to me, anyway) but it was kinda bugging me that I would lose no speed charging up a steep hill. I'm all for more "realism" in the physics in games like these. Nice move PGI.

#94 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

View Postjeffsw6, on 27 June 2013 - 12:08 PM, said:

This is another of those changes that will dramatically affect the game, and probably be screwed up, IMO. The current maps were all designed to work with the existing mech movement. If certain mechs can no longer climb hills on those maps, it is going to hugely change the way the game plays.

Actually that's completely incorrect.

2 months ago on NGNG, the developer who CREATED Caustic Valley came onto the show, specifically talking about how all the maps are created with 'changes that are coming down the pipeline' in mind.

This movement change is what all the map developers have been waiting for, and he discussed how it was frustrating to design with these changes in mind and then have to wait for those changes to come out, and endure people complaining in the interim.

#95 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:32 AM

Large: Quickdraw, Stalker?!

Huge: Victor

I haven't been this dumbfounded since they removed GD. How is a Stalker smaller than a Victor, and how is it on the same level as a Quickdraw?

#96 z3a1ot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:54 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 27 June 2013 - 12:02 PM, said:

Shouldn't that just shift the Stalker meta a tad to Highlanders?

Where's the smallest violin? I feel a song comin' on...

Here you go kind sir, feel free to play that tune all day long :huh:

#97 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:00 AM

View Postjakucha, on 27 June 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

How do you know that? They've been working on this for a long time; it's entirely possible they've been designing the maps with this in mind. The incline heat maps have a fairly ordered appearance to them so I wouldn't be surprised.

HAHAHAHA you think they designed the maps with this in mind? They knew this was coming more than a year ago? That's pretty funny. It IS possible, but that would be like them intentionally designing the Awesome to be huge and die to everything or designing the Cent to be a zombie god. These are just byproducts of the system. The maps are not designed for this, just wait. Assaults and even heavies will have a rough time on a lot of maps now.

#98 zorak ramone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:01 AM

View PostAccursed Richards, on 28 June 2013 - 07:52 AM, said:

This could be a really big change in the right direction, and give mediums a reason to exist. I think I feel the barest flicker of hope in my blackened, withered heart. :huh:

Since the CTF and Jager are in the same bracket as the Hunchback, trebuchet, and centurion, this isn't going to help medium mechs at all.

#99 armyof1

• Bad Company
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:04 AM

View Postzorak ramone, on 28 June 2013 - 10:01 AM, said:

Since the CTF and Jager are in the same bracket as the Hunchback, trebuchet, and centurion, this isn't going to help medium mechs at all.

Yeah that's pretty bad actually, the CTF-3D gets a buff against the mediums without JJ even.

#100 Skinflowers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:11 AM

A step in the right direction PGI.

More of the same please.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users