Ask The Devs 41 - Answered!

270 replies to this topic

#101 Asmosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:01 AM

Rashhaverak: When a critical hit is landed on ammo, why is the chance for an ammo explosion only 10%?
A: Like most arbitrary values, this feels right currently. And like all arbitrary numbers, we tweak them occasionally to meet the design goals.

Maybe someone can clarify this for me, does every critical hit on ammo have a chance for explosion, or does it only mean when the ammo is destroyed?

#102 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:12 AM

View PostAsmosis, on 29 June 2013 - 07:01 AM, said:

Maybe someone can clarify this for me, does every critical hit on ammo have a chance for explosion, or does it only mean when the ammo is destroyed?

It has to be destroyed. Ammo has 1 health, though, meaning that crits from anything other than MGs or Flamers will instakill it.

#103 ICEFANG13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:23 AM

View PostFupDup, on 29 June 2013 - 07:12 AM, said:

It has to be destroyed. Ammo has 1 health, though, meaning that crits from anything other than MGs or Flamers will instakill it.

10 actually. Same as many things, and its protected by crit buffing it with DHS or weapons or engines, which means that ammo crits are never going to be consistent. You'd have to have someone with 10 slots of ammo (or more), only, in a side torso, with no XL and using 6MGs to expect a kill from them.

#104 Pericles

• PipPip
  • Rage
  • 35 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSol Star System

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:34 AM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 28 June 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

Ask the Devs #41

3PV
Vasces Diablo: Is it possible to rename the view modes? Specifically "Training" for 3PV and "Normal" for 1PV. It's semantics, true, but a portion of the community feels it's an important distinction. 1st person has been the "normal" view in earlier titles and it would create an indication to new players to that effect.
A: If you are referring to Normal and Hardcore descriptors for the matchmaking buckets, these are not final yet. Training and Normal would not work as this would imply an offline mode for 3PV which is not the case. 3PV is not only a great way for new players to learn to play the game, it’s actually a really fun way to play the game! Our early play tests have resulted in some interesting observations as hardcore 1PV proponents have taken a step back and seen the value and fun in 3PV. I expect once the 3PV view mode hits the Test Servers in the next 30 days, players will find it not as powerful as feared or as intrusive into the existing experience, rather accept it as an extension. Of course as promised out of the gates players will be able to choose 1PV and 3PV mixed or just 1PV.

...This isn't Mech Assault...If I wanted to play Mech Assault I would. I'm hear to play Mechwarrior. For the longest time it was "No 3rd person will be in the game" to "3rd Person wont be a primary thing" to now "Herp Derp, DERPIDDY DERP DERP, Normal Mode"... Da Fuq is that?

#105 Asmosis

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:50 AM

View PostICEFANG13, on 29 June 2013 - 07:23 AM, said:

10 actually. Same as many things, and its protected by crit buffing it with DHS or weapons or engines, which means that ammo crits are never going to be consistent. You'd have to have someone with 10 slots of ammo (or more), only, in a side torso, with no XL and using 6MGs to expect a kill from them.

Which happens to be my current build, 6 MG's are pretty consistent at destroying components before the section dies. If its only on destruction of the ammo box, then scoring 10 crits on it with MG's doesn't help at all compared to one ppc/gauss/ac crit.

The idea was taking a bit more time to destroy a section with MG's could result in bigger damage overall if you crit-explode ammo before the section is destroyed. Its still a very fun build though.

#106 BlacKcuD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 229 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationmwo-builds.net

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:15 AM

Work faster! Need more features/content and my CW!

#107 Jern

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 51 posts
  • LocationAR

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:23 AM

I want to take a moment to thank you guys for having this forum. It is obvious that some people are not satisfied with all of the answers for various reasons. I admit I have found myself laughing at or frustrated by some of the one word answers and the long winded responses that still say nothing. But, I think I am starting to get the real value of the forum, it is acknowledgment of ideas and concerns from the community. This forum provides a place to get a wide range of ideas, concepts, and concerns mentioned with a pretty high chance of getting some form of dev feedback. The occasional "Good idea" or "yes we are working on that" or even the dreaded "Sorry, No that is not under consideration at this time" are important to hear. All of these responses are legit and give us direct feedback to our ideas and concerns.

My suggestion for the community is to relax accept that the devs read your questions and give many of them responses in some form. It is better than we get from many game devs. I think we need to stop abusing this forum and trying to make it into some kind of inside track to all of the programming secretes of PGI, or worse into a wishlist of self centered concepts.

My suggestion for the devs is understand you have asked and received millions of dollars from your community to trust you to make a great game for us. I am not sure that everyone that rages on these forums are committed investors, but many of us are and we do get frustrated with the time it takes to implement game balance, and end game content (CW). I suggest bombarding us with information like "Star Citizen" is doing to their community. Use the Dev Chair forum more often, even if it is to let us know that your adding and training new staff and we will see the fruits of their labors in the months to come. I am sure many exciting things are being worked on, or changes taking place that we never hear about. If you give us more information we might settle down and stop trolling every little morsel like rabid dogs :(

Thanks,

Edited by Jern, 29 June 2013 - 10:26 AM.

#108 ZedekiahCromwell

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:07 AM

Why even do ATD if you're going to dodge everything with non-answers? This was seriously just aggravating to read.

Also, the ever changing narrative on 3PV continues to make me laugh. It's so obvious you guys could not give 2 flying fish about what the fanbase that has actually kept you in business wants. But don't worry guys! After the 1PV players played 3PV, they totally loved it and thought it was super cool and awesome and stuff! "Out the gate" reveals a lot about your intentions.

Newsflash: The same customers that you are asking for money with Project Phoenix are the same ones who don't want 1PV. You guys are just determined to alienate the core fanbase that has actually funded your development.

Edited by ZedekiahCromwell, 29 June 2013 - 11:09 AM.

#109 Zphyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 703 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

Lots of questions, as usual.
No real answers, as usual.

*sigh*

Another week, another week.

*sigh*

Was supposed to summarize this ATD to a friend. Ended up with "They said maybe, probably, thinking about it, later, discussing it internally and can't answer. Again.". Thank you for making my job easier.

#110 ZedekiahCromwell

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:26 AM

View PostZphyr, on 29 June 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

Lots of questions, as usual.
No real answers, as usual.

*sigh*

Another week, another week.

*sigh*

Was supposed to summarize this ATD to a friend. Ended up with "They said maybe, probably, thinking about it, later, discussing it internally and can't answer. Again.". Thank you for making my job easier.

Honestly, with how bad their communication has gotten and how little they've actually managed to accomplish over the past few months (and I don't mean content even, just simple balancing issues), I have little hope that MWO will survive as a long-term game. When I try to drop with my company in an 8-man and we can't find a match after 5 tries, I start to worry about the retention of the player base. They're already releasing another founders-style pack and it's still in Beta. They have yet to drop CW, and it only seems to get pushed off further. Balance issues that have persisted for months are driving players away from the game, as well as players just plain bored with the game.

So while I really enjoy MWO, I'm unfortunately becoming somewhat pessimistic about its chances of success as an actual game.

Edited by ZedekiahCromwell, 29 June 2013 - 11:27 AM.

#111 Krzysztof z Bagien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 710 posts
  • LocationUć, Poland

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

There are going to be a lot of things missing when MWO gets its "launch". I don't think it is a good idea to start working on stuff like collisions, in-game voice comms or HUD overhaul AFTER you drop the "beta" tag. I'm afraid that game reviews will not be positive - and that means there won't be any huge increase of the playerbase and your income.
Seems to me that by the end of summer MWO will be in the state that would make it good to start open beta - too bad it has already been started way, way to early.

As for the answers - why do you make us wait for them that long, when it is clear it takes you no more than an hour to make that post? I mean - there's so little information in your answers I can't imagine you actually need a week to do it.

#112 AAllard

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSouthwest USA

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:38 PM

Thanks for all the info eagerly awaiting the next update.

#113 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:59 PM

Of course as promised out of the gates players will be able to choose 1PV and 3PV mixed or just 1PV.

Emphasis mine. Considering how much these guys love lawyerspeak, as evidenced multiple times in the past, to me this reads as saying that you won't be able to opt out of 3PV for long. Gitcher pitchforks...

Answering the "why don't you update us more" questions with "actually we do update you more than enough" was icing on the cake. Obviously if people are asking that, it's for a reason.

Edited by Bloodweaver, 29 June 2013 - 02:01 PM.

#114 Windies

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,477 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:18 PM

This ATD was priceless. 1/10 for information and 9/10 for lulz. Gotta love that 3pv response. I guess we know why they launched the Phoenix pack.

Edited by Windies, 29 June 2013 - 05:19 PM.

#115 ryoma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:20 PM

View PostBloodweaver, on 29 June 2013 - 01:59 PM, said:

Emphasis mine. Considering how much these guys love lawyerspeak, as evidenced multiple times in the past, to me this reads as saying that you won't be able to opt out of 3PV for long. Gitcher pitchforks...

Answering the "why don't you update us more" questions with "actually we do update you more than enough" was icing on the cake. Obviously if people are asking that, it's for a reason.

Ahh ****. I've been expecting PGI to mix queues for months now, but this just reeks of future abuse.

Remember, it was just their position at the time.
Also PGI, continue maintaining that radio silence!

#116 Lokust Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 927 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon, Inner Sphere.

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:15 PM

View PostPando, on 28 June 2013 - 02:12 PM, said:

I'm a founder. I want 3pv. Feel like editing your sentence yet?

you want 3pv? oh i get it... its sarcasm?

#117 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:55 AM

View PostPericles, on 29 June 2013 - 07:34 AM, said:

...This isn't Mech Assault...If I wanted to play Mech Assault I would. I'm hear to play Mechwarrior. For the longest time it was "No 3rd person will be in the game" to "3rd Person wont be a primary thing" to now "Herp Derp, DERPIDDY DERP DERP, Normal Mode"... Da Fuq is that?

Waiting for the next logical step in the sequence:

1) Never 3PV (got founder money here)
2) may be 3PV but far far away in another galaxy
3) you shall have 3PV but you can opt out
4) 3PV is the default normal mode
5) early tests reveal that 3PV is not bad many like it already, jump on the bandwagon
6) <insert here next step>

BTW, no phoenix for me, thanks but no thanks.

#118 tommilator

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationZealand, Denmark

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:56 AM

Hellen Wheels: The Radio Chatter on the home page is eerily silent as of late. Were some filters added to quash the inappropriate and irrelevant posts, or has it been silenced entirely? Any plans to use it for game results, community warfare updates, and other similar announcements?
A: If you are referring to the Twitter feed, or devs talking on Twitter, I have been on Vacation for a bit. No filters have been put in place.

mwomercs.com frontpage. For those of us not following the twits of PGI employees, it would be sort of nice to keep up with the small bits of exclusive info you decide to drop in this channel.

I guess its part of the total communications blackout imposed by PGI <_<

But seriously. ATD is not a chat session. You could abstain from including questions you don't understand. This one gave a good laugh. I have this vision of Bryan shrugging his shoulders saying "hey man, I just work here, next question please"

#119 Pando

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationDeep, deep inside _____.

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:03 AM

View PostLokust Davion, on 29 June 2013 - 10:15 PM, said:

you want 3pv? oh i get it... its sarcasm?

Nah not at all. I'm looking forward to 1pv competitive gaming with JW (with you <_<) in addition to 3pv casual gaming with my RL friends who've played battletech games with me for over 10 years.

I'm looking forward to IT ALL!

#120 ArchMage Sparrowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:32 AM

View PostJern, on 29 June 2013 - 10:23 AM, said:

I want to take a moment to thank you guys for having this forum. It is obvious that some people are not satisfied with all of the answers for various reasons. I admit I have found myself laughing at or frustrated by some of the one word answers and the long winded responses that still say nothing. But, I think I am starting to get the real value of the forum, it is acknowledgment of ideas and concerns from the community. This forum provides a place to get a wide range of ideas, concepts, and concerns mentioned with a pretty high chance of getting some form of dev feedback. The occasional "Good idea" or "yes we are working on that" or even the dreaded "Sorry, No that is not under consideration at this time" are important to hear. All of these responses are legit and give us direct feedback to our ideas and concerns.

My suggestion for the community is to relax accept that the devs read your questions and give many of them responses in some form. It is better than we get from many game devs. I think we need to stop abusing this forum and trying to make it into some kind of inside track to all of the programming secretes of PGI, or worse into a wishlist of self centered concepts.

My suggestion for the devs is understand you have asked and received millions of dollars from your community to trust you to make a great game for us. I am not sure that everyone that rages on these forums are committed investors, but many of us are and we do get frustrated with the time it takes to implement game balance, and end game content (CW). I suggest bombarding us with information like "Star Citizen" is doing to their community. Use the Dev Chair forum more often, even if it is to let us know that your adding and training new staff and we will see the fruits of their labors in the months to come. I am sure many exciting things are being worked on, or changes taking place that we never hear about. If you give us more information we might settle down and stop trolling every little morsel like rabid dogs <_<

Thanks,

Great points.

The question is, what is the relationship? This enterprise, the free to play endeavor, demands a relationship that differs from the relationship that an Electronic Arts or an Activision would have with their game playing public. Particularly with their paying members. PGI cannot just put a game out, offer it, and if you like it you buy it, and if you don't you won't. In that scenario, often times you either pay one premium fee, based on advertising, usually not even a demo, and that's it. There may be some DLC down the line, or a possible sequel that will or will not succeed based on the sucess of the first.

PGI's contact with the gaming base is way different. This is an ongoing relationship. They make us happy, they keep us happy, and we keep happily spending money. The pressure is different, the focus is different, the pacing should be different as well. They are our mech-drug dealer, not a game maker, not any more. That comes with a lot of benefits, but it has its negativities too. If they do this right, they will enjoy crazy amounts of loyalty, lots of love, lots of small transaction cash flow from people buying what they want and what they enjoy on a whim, to tailor their game experience. They'll also have emotional people threatening to leave them forever because they hurt them so badly. INstead of ignoring these situations like some spectrum disorder warrior, they need to learn to mitigate these clouds of disorder so instead of confusion and anger there is hope. That comes from being heard, from seeing progress, not sitting in dark corners of the web murmuring about the dark future.

If this was an AAA retail game, the level of contact would be outstanding. But this is a free to play game built around a community. And so far that community is either on vacation or else...what? That isn't an insult, what I mean, is a Triple A game doesn't really care about community beyond how well it facilitates sales and game interoperability. This game MWO, the community is the game. So PGI really needs to step it up on that end of creating an environment of inclusiveness, not just a message board with a lot of compartments.

Re: criticism, don't take it personally, even if it gets personal. People are passionate, and passionate people spend money. Work with that, not against it. Get some pros who can channel that passion instead of letting it sit in a chaotic pile around the game meta. This is more an executive thing, not to impugn the efforts of the message board team who are doing a really good job as far as I'm concerned. I don't think it's forum abuse at this point. This thing is going to grow lungs, kidneys, and a heart if it's going to live. It needs to. The level of communication has to become more robust if this thing is really going to become a lasting community. And it needs to start now, not some abstract 'launch' related timeframe.

**in other words this is a customer care/community outreach issue. such an entity would have input with the game development side to be able to get things looked at and to show how things are being worked on. They would also have some control over communications to be able to direct how this was portrayed to the gamers and to direct the discussion and the thought. That is not being done here, and it would not only help put out some fires, it would prevent future ones. So get yourself a Smokey the Bear if you need to PGI. We understand that workloads are heavy, and if people feel like their issues WILL be addressed instead of ignored, you would see more people volunteering patience instead of frustration.

Edited by ArchMage Sparrowhawk, 30 June 2013 - 04:55 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users