Ask The Devs 41 - Answered!

270 replies to this topic

#81 Grimmnyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:49 PM

View PostDude42, on 28 June 2013 - 07:46 PM, said:

The only thing I took away from that entire post were the words "Out of the gate" when referring to being able to choose not to play against 3PVers, directly implying that that option will be removed. Especially considering the repeated use of the very same "out of the gate" phrasing when absolutely talking about something that was going to change. Dear god. The end is nigh.

I interpret that as 3PV will be separate at the time it is implemented, but not necessarily permanently, like when there are not enough players for separate queues. Honestly, I think clan mechs will be even more damaging to community warfare, because a majority of players will leave their IS units to be a clanner.

#82 Dude42

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:53 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 28 June 2013 - 07:49 PM, said:

I interpret that as 3PV will be separate at the time it is implemented, but not necessarily permanently, like when there are not enough players for separate queues. Honestly, I think clan mechs will be even more damaging to community warfare, because a majority of players will leave their IS units to be a clanner.

Yea that's how I interpreted it too. Thus, the end is nigh. I may as well stop playing now, because at some point, in order to continue playing, I'll be forced to play against some 3PV exploiter. Perhaps not right when 3PV is first implemented, but at some point. Yep... I think I'm done. Was somewhat fun while it lasted.

Edit: It occurs to me that there are some things that 3PV will take away from the game forever. Currently we can use things like flamers, lasers, ACs, LRMs, not only to do damage, but to make it more difficult for the enemy to return fire, by hampering their ability to literally see. I know I aim for the cockpit for specificly this reason, even if I miss it's still a little disorienting. Soon to be a lost art. One of many, like TAGing the enemy in the back. Or timing shots to coincide with other impacts so as to mask them. I could go on, but whats the point.

Edited by Dude42, 28 June 2013 - 07:58 PM.

#83 BarHaid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:15 PM

View PostManDaisy, on 28 June 2013 - 01:43 PM, said:

And Dennis has now been thrown under the bus.
That's right Dennis; time to get to work! :)

#84 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

People need to stop b**ching about 3PV. You haven't even seen it in play. There are so many ways to implement 3PV that won't affect the game for anyone else. Aside from the fact that 3PV can have it's own queue. Having a very narrow field of view on 3PV can narrow all the "exploitation" that some people are whining about.

TLDR: Stop whining about things you haven't seen yet and ****. Wait until they're out and then you either get to say "I told you so" or "Huh, that was surprising. Guess I was wrong with my immature assumptions"

#85 Noaceik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 231 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:08 PM

View PostDude42, on 28 June 2013 - 07:53 PM, said:

Yea that's how I interpreted it too. Thus, the end is nigh. I may as well stop playing now, because at some point, in order to continue playing, I'll be forced to play against some 3PV exploiter. Perhaps not right when 3PV is first implemented, but at some point. Yep... I think I'm done. Was somewhat fun while it lasted.

Edit: It occurs to me that there are some things that 3PV will take away from the game forever. Currently we can use things like flamers, lasers, ACs, LRMs, not only to do damage, but to make it more difficult for the enemy to return fire, by hampering their ability to literally see. I know I aim for the cockpit for specificly this reason, even if I miss it's still a little disorienting. Soon to be a lost art. One of many, like TAGing the enemy in the back. Or timing shots to coincide with other impacts so as to mask them. I could go on, but whats the point.

You make a vary good point I have been basically blinded many times because of ac2's,ppc's, and flamers, plus in 3rd person view the shaking from missile hits will not mess up your aim as much because your whole screen will not shake. At first they were against 3rd person view why change it? EDIT: I forgot to add a return to jump snipping and also smoke blindness from missiles. Also no more sneak attacks on foolish assault mechs in the back because they will see the rounds hit, and they will see over hills, and no longer have a view issues with mechs like the highlanders that cant see to there sides well.

Edited by Noaceik, 29 June 2013 - 02:07 PM.

#86 ICEFANG13

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:04 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 28 June 2013 - 09:07 PM, said:

People need to stop b**ching about 3PV. You haven't even seen it in play. There are so many ways to implement 3PV that won't affect the game for anyone else. Aside from the fact that 3PV can have it's own queue. Having a very narrow field of view on 3PV can narrow all the "exploitation" that some people are whining about.

TLDR: Stop whining about things you haven't seen yet and ****. Wait until they're out and then you either get to say "I told you so" or "Huh, that was surprising. Guess I was wrong with my immature assumptions"

I liked how your TLDR is 2 lines long, which is only 1 line less than the 'content' of your post.

3rd person view is already said to have advantages over 1st person by PGI themselves. For people who wanted an immersive game, you could see why people seeing over hills is a bad thing.

#87 pantherzero

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:48 PM

the implication was that mwo would Never be 3pv. regardless on how 'good' training view is it remains a breach of trust

#88 Sug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:53 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 28 June 2013 - 07:49 PM, said:

I interpret that as 3PV will be separate at the time it is implemented, but not necessarily permanently, like when there are not enough players for separate queues.

You mean right out of the gate?

#89 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:02 AM

If you think its quiet now, starting in September PGI will be actively advertising and plugging MWO on every feed and postcast there is. It will be a very different game by then with UI 2.0, 3pv, and CW. All good except the days of 1pv will be over. I think this is a huge mistake. Basically telling the die hard founders to go stuff themselves.. just sayin.

#90 jozkhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 384 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:09 AM

40 Devs? :)

You're kidding right?

#91 Pando

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationDeep, deep inside _____.

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:51 AM

View PostNoaceik, on 28 June 2013 - 09:08 PM, said:

You make a vary good point I have been basically blinded many times because of ac2's,ppc's, and flamers, plus in 3rd person view the shaking from missile hits will not mess up your aim as much because your whole screen will not shake. At first they were against 3rd person view why change it?

Big deal. I'll aim to where the camera is "docked"

:)

#92 BigMekkUrDakka

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 213 posts
  • Locationland of AWESOME pilots

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:50 AM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 28 June 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

Ask the Devs #41

3PV
Vasces Diablo: Is it possible to rename the view modes? Specifically "Training" for 3PV and "Normal" for 1PV. It's semantics, true, but a portion of the community feels it's an important distinction. 1st person has been the "normal" view in earlier titles and it would create an indication to new players to that effect.
A: If you are referring to Normal and Hardcore descriptors for the matchmaking buckets, these are not final yet. Training and Normal would not work as this would imply an offline mode for 3PV which is not the case. 3PV is not only a great way for new players to learn to play the game, it’s actually a really fun way to play the game! Our early play tests have resulted in some interesting observations as hardcore 1PV proponents have taken a step back and seen the value and fun in 3PV. I expect once the 3PV view mode hits the Test Servers in the next 30 days, players will find it not as powerful as feared or as intrusive into the existing experience, rather accept it as an extension. Of course as promised out of the gates players will be able to choose 1PV and 3PV mixed or just 1PV.

please stop lying to yourself, so you wont have to lie to community, just please name real reasons behind 3pv implementing.
so we (1pv only crowd) can uninstall this game before it becomes "mechwarrior online pinball"

#93 SVK Puskin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 822 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:45 AM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 28 June 2013 - 03:22 PM, said:

That has nothing to do with balance.

Realy? Balancing teams has nothing to do with balance, right?

#94 Lucilius

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:57 AM

I wanted to ask something, since it seems that IGP is involved in it both:

MechWarrior Online and MechWarrior Tactics - do we need to register for both? Or are we registered for both if we register for one?

PS: Am posting this in another part of the forum.

#95 Kattspya

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:09 AM

Why are you guys even doing these anymore? The ratio of characters in the questions to the answers is about 10:1 which is frankly backwards. There isn't a single solid fact among all the "answers", no open discussion of where things are headed just evasions maybes and I'll look into its. I'll look into it is something you say when you are answering real time you have all the time in the world to look into things, just delay the ATD for whatever time it takes you or alternatively amend the ATD when you have looked into this. I'll look into it might as well mean sod off

Also, all the typos and spelling errors gives the impression this is something that is written on the phone while sitting in a strip club.
Why are you evading the questions you yourself chose? Choose questions you can answer. What you're doing makes no sense.

EDIT:
Take this question:
Jern: Have you guys considered featuring secondary one-off objectives (one for each team) on the larger maps?
A: Yes.

This is either the answer of someone with aspergers or a troll.

Edited by Kattspya, 29 June 2013 - 04:11 AM.

#96 Aim64C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:24 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 28 June 2013 - 09:07 PM, said:

People need to stop b**ching about 3PV. You haven't even seen it in play.

Yes. I have. In many games and simulators.

There are so many ways to implement 3PV that won't affect the game for anyone else.

No, there really aren't.

The main thing that third-person view gives is "over the horizon" advantages. Even though you are sitting behind a terrain obstacle, you can see over/around it at what is on the other side, because the camera sits at a height that is above your own.

That changes everything - from brawling, to sniping, to scouting as the process of gathering information no longer requires risk to your 'mech (unless you're going for a missile lock).

Aside from the fact that 3PV can have it's own queue.

That really doesn't sound like such a great idea. "Let's take a relatively small community and divide it."

Having a very narrow field of view on 3PV can narrow all the "exploitation" that some people are whining about.

The reason the devs want to implement 3rd person view is because they think it will help reduce the learning curve and give new players a more familiar interface (every game is better when you are not really 'you').

The best way to go about this is to have every mech cockpit project a tri-vid/hologram-like representation of their battlemech from a rear perspective (as well as the target mech with armor read-out if possible). That would be taking inspiration from how previous MechWarrior games have made the simulation experience more newbie friendly.

In Mech3 - the default was a 3d model of your mech where the different parts turned pink and eventually red to let you know what your damage was. It also showed you the animated status of your model. If your torso was turned all kinds of stupid, you could see exactly what you needed to do to straighten yourself back out (though it should really be a matter of building muscle-memory to do that automatically... it isn't some great mystery of life how you get your torso back in line with the legs).

That would increase the immersion (have your cockpit actually display stuff to you), empower the player, and not give silly advantages to people who, for whatever reason, can't stand to play a game where they aren't commanding a marionette around.

#97 Galen Crayn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 443 posts
  • LocationKonstanz - Germany

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:40 AM

Pls PGI make no "Ask the Devs 42". We all know the answers... This joke isnt funny anymore...

#98 wickwire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • LocationIgnoring The Meta Since 2012

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:50 AM

NeonKnight: Has any thought been given to a what I perceive as a quick and fast way to instantly DOUBLE the number of assault maps we have to play? What I propose is this. Take all the maps we currently have, and utilize from the conquest maps the Epsilon and Kappa bases as the staging areas for alternative assault formats. In every Map, the Epsilon/Kappa bases are prettey much opposite each, have no direct LINE OF SIGHT issues (unlike the current starting locations for River City), and I believe this could really help to keep the game fresh and change the way certain maps play out tactically.
A: I’ll forward the idea to the level team.

YES, this please!!

#99 Galen Crayn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 443 posts
  • LocationKonstanz - Germany

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:58 AM

Yes, wonderful idea. tell them how they dont have to implement NEW maps. Who needs new maps? No, it isnt boring to play only 6 maps all the time.

Edited by Galen Crayn, 29 June 2013 - 04:58 AM.

#100 Wieland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 755 posts
  • LocationKitzingen, Bolan Province, Protectorate of Donegal, Lyran Commonwealth

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:04 AM

Community Warfare/Clans
I’m holding off answering questions that were placed in this category for now, as we near a more official post regarding Community Warfare/Clans.

Same answer as always.
I wonder if it will actually make it in before release. UI 2.0 will be needed and this will probably not be here till September.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users