Ask The Devs 41 - Answered!

270 replies to this topic

#61 Galen Crayn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 443 posts
  • LocationKonstanz - Germany

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:38 PM

A: We communicate regularly, several times per day in fact. The forums are a really big place and we all spend time in different areas.

This answer is awesome... communicate nothing but that regularly :) Come on, you absolutly ignore EVERY important thread about ballance, weapon buffs or nerfs, CW, UI, new maps... Where are these mystical areas in this forum where you all post regularly and several times per day? Never saw that place of milk and honey...

Edited by Galen Crayn, 28 June 2013 - 05:39 PM.

#62 BlackBeltJones

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:39 PM

View PostRick Rawlings, on 28 June 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

... :)

I love jokes

#63 Devil Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:44 PM

View PostGalen Crayn, on 28 June 2013 - 05:38 PM, said:

This answer is awesome... communicate nothing but that regularly :) Come on, you absolutly ignore EVERY important thread about ballance, weapon buffs or nerfs, CW, UI, new maps... Where are these mystical areas in this forum where you all post regularly and several times per day? Never saw that place of milk and honey...

In every forum but the ones that matter... like the fan areas, or the factions probably... no anywhere that requires real thought and tact to address current issues, instead they have twitter to offend the playerbase with.

#64 Loxx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:44 PM

I've seen some smoke blown in my time but Wow, this Ask The Devs is a virtual masterpiece of bovine scatology!

You can almost feel the panic in every answer of "after launch, after launch, its on the list, after launch, we're looking into it, after launch." I realize this is the most hectic time for devs when building a game, but honestly, the game should be just about finished now. The last 12 or so weeks before launch should be all about the spit and polish of the final product. You still have 3 major features that are the core of the game to add along with multiple other tweaks. you have customers leaving in droves over serious balancing issues. Yet your answer to all them is "after launch". We want to love your game! But you're making that extremely difficult to do so.

#65 Vulkan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:47 PM

So many repeat questions "answered", still no new information.

Seriously?

#66 CutterWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 658 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:05 PM

View PostSkye Storm, on 28 June 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

I'm a founder and I detest the idea of 3PV

I personally know entire teams who detest the idea of 3PV and most of them are founders too

Edited by CutterWolf, 28 June 2013 - 06:05 PM.

#67 Galen Crayn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 443 posts
  • LocationKonstanz - Germany

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:13 PM

The BIG July Patch: New cockpit item, hero mech sale and map changing... wow

#68 Blade Pride

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:15 PM

Good stuff thanks.

Edited by Blade Pride, 28 June 2013 - 06:15 PM.

#69 TheAtomiser

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:25 PM

Still nothing about playing with more than 4 people in a group. I am disappoint.

#70 norhymes

• PipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

Thanks for taking the time to answer, Bryan.

#71 Aim64C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:44 PM

3PV is not only a great way for new players to learn to play the game, it’s actually a really fun way to play the game! Our early play tests have resulted in some interesting observations as hardcore 1PV proponents have taken a step back and seen the value and fun in 3PV. I expect once the 3PV view mode hits the Test Servers in the next 30 days, players will find it not as powerful as feared or as intrusive into the existing experience, rather accept it as an extension.

I'm not a huge stickler, either way - but, to be honest, I don't think 3rd person view should really exist in this game outside of game replays or special spectator modes.

Honestly, I don't think third person view is going to do much to address the issue with learning curve, either. I don't believe in excluding players, necessarily - but I'm getting a little annoyed with the watering down of games to meet the expectations of complacent gamers too lazy to recognize basic patterns in their environment.

That's just me being me.

The functional and practical concern I have with 3rd person play modes is the ability to circumvent line of sight obstacles. Currently - that's a huge part of the game. To see around the corner or over the crest, you must peek or crest and expose yourself to fire. That just seems like more of an exploit than a valid feature for this type of game. We don't have regenerating health (and, no, that does not mean it should be added in).

Crimson Fenris: When could we expect to finally see more user-friendly communication systems, like integrated VoIP, or a command wheel (like the one in the Battlefield series) ?
A: No firm dates, we have a concept ready when the team has some free time after launch.

.... I would classify this as an inversion of priorities.

You want to launch a game. Invite thousands of new players by being "officially 1.0" ... INTO A GAME ADVERTISING ITSELF AS A SQUAD BASED SIMULATOR/COMBAT GAME AND YOUR ANSWER TO "WHEN ARE WE GETTING INTEGRATED VIOP SOLUTIONS IS "WHEN WE HAVE FREE TIME" AFTER LAUNCH!?

Do you not see the problem? The time to implement and test that stuff is -now- in the beta... so that when you actually launch the game and announce to the world that you are ready, you have a complete set of tested features that form a complete gaming experience.

Integrated voice coms for a game like this are important enough that I'd actually set the launch date back to make sure it was in.

Jern: Have you guys considered featuring secondary one-off objectives (one for each team) on the larger maps?
A: Yes.

... and is there ongoing consideration... or was it decided to leave it alone? Or is this just something that's been passed under bathroom stalls like toilet paper, or what?

A: We’re exploring this when we refresh the HUD after launch.

... Why not do this before launch?

You do realize that how you appear in the reviews/ratings for game rating groups is, over 90% of the time, your "1.0" release - or "what would ship to the store" - right?

6 months from launch, the review is still going to write about your old HUD and readers will make decisions based upon the review's experience with a system you had already planned to replace.

Dakkon: Whats been happening with the command Console? When can we expect to see it and what will it do.
A: Nothing currently. Design is playing with it.

I'm sorry. I literally laughed at this.

"Let's remove the frame-rate and x-y display feature."

"Good idea. And, that concludes our development meeting, today. Ronda will pass you all the minutes."

"Does anyone know whose turn it is to clean the break room?"

"I think it's Rob's."

"Speaking of the break room, we all need to take better care of that thing. Some ******** has been scribing graffiti into the table."

"Say what you will, he has a point about the command console."

"The what?"

"The command console."

"..."

"You know - the additional piece of equipment for the head."

"That sounds like a good idea. Tell someone in the creative department to start working on it."

"It's already in the game."

"What? When the hell did that happen?"

A: The simple and fortunate truth is the team has been extremely busy dealing with the success of MWO and trying to stay ahead of it. We have grand plans to build out a much more robust set of community engagements, but for now you can find us mostly in the forums, and twitter spheres. In the future we’d love to have a fulltime team dedicate to broadcasting dev activities and previews, along with other community engagements.

You should really think about setting up a dedicated PR team.

The PR team would not only make announcements - but sit in on various meetings and relay concerns/ideas from the player base and also keep people abreast of what is going on.

I would estimate about 3 people targeting specific areas of development would be ideal for the current size and scope of things as a part time position.

So long as you have the ability to web-conference with them, the position could easily be open to remote individuals.

You may even be able to get a few people to do it as volunteers.

I wouldn't combine that into a forum moderator position, however.

#72 Gregory Owen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:54 PM

http://www.nogutsnog...opic,488.0.html

this latest NGNG podcast interview with Russ is 1000000000x more informative and actually gave me a lot more confidence than these half-assed responses.

key notes provided by Jman5 on reddit

• 100% of money from Project Phoenix will go toward Mechwarrior Online

• The Macross mechs are not entirely ruled out, but probably going to be a lot more tricky.

• Launch is still on schedule for late summer (not October 15th like some people thought)

• 12v12 no more than 30 days away, will be on public test server within a week or so. (I'm not sure if public test server will be open to us or not)

• UI 2.0 pre launch

• Community Warfare: divided into phases will be ready in 2013

• Heftier patches coming

• Overheat penalty 120% heat damages (he said 150, then he said 120. Not sure which is which)

• They don't publicly release weapon usage metrics or talk about weapon imbalance because it drives the data. If they come out and say weapon X is most popular, it will spike the usage even more so.

• the financial numbers are as solid as any other F2P out there.

• Population numbers not as high as WoT or LoL but they don't want to start the marketing blitz until release when some of the key features are implemented.

• Once the game is live and they begin marketing, they might consider releasing player count numbers.

• They've made some new hires recently

• Lances will spawn together

• They're still looking at ways to make mechs more durable. They wanted to wait until all the netcode stuff was fixed and then go from there.

Edited by Gregory Owen, 28 June 2013 - 06:55 PM.

#73 Lonestar1771

• 1,991 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:08 PM

View PostGregory Owen, on 28 June 2013 - 06:54 PM, said:

this latest NGNG podcast interview with Russ is 1000000000x more informative and actually gave me a lot more confidence than these half-assed responses.

• The Macross mechs are not entirely ruled out, but probably going to be a lot more tricky.

• Launch is still on schedule for late summer (not October 15th like some people thought)

• 12v12 no more than 30 days away, will be on public test server within a week or so. (I'm not sure if public test server will be open to us or not)

• UI 2.0 pre launch

• Heftier patches coming

• Overheat penalty 120% heat damages (he said 150, then he said 120. Not sure which is which)

• They don't publicly release weapon usage metrics or talk about weapon imbalance because it drives the data. If they come out and say weapon X is most popular, it will spike the usage even more so.

• Population numbers not as high as WoT or LoL but they don't want to start the marketing blitz until release when some of the key features are implemented.

• Once the game is live and they begin marketing, they might consider releasing player count numbers.

• They're still looking at ways to make mechs more durable. They wanted to wait until all the netcode stuff was fixed and then go from there.

No offense to you, but I can say the sky is purple and pigs fly and I have x-ray vision, doesn't make any of it true. They said 12v12 was less than 30 days away before, and while were are talking about 12v12; useless and devoid of anyone but the most loyal groups.

#74 StonedDead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • LocationOn a rock, orbiting a giant nuclear reactor

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:15 PM

Let me just say that I don't like 3PV. However, I'll just kill the people in game that use it, so no big deal. They still die no matter what view mode they are in, it doesn't make them invincible. So, what I'm trying to say is, if you feel you need a crutch to play the game, bring it on. I'll be in 1PV.

#75 InRev

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:30 PM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 28 June 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

grayson marik: Is there an ETA on any feature, that would enable to drop one group against a specific other group ( no pug fillers)?
A: No ETA, but we have plans for something along these lines.

Am I the only one who was really bummed by this? The possibilities that a lobby system would bring are endless . . . and not even a Soon™ :) It must be a long, long, loooong way off.

#76 INSEkT L0GIC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:34 PM

View PostGregory Owen, on 28 June 2013 - 06:54 PM, said:

• UI 2.0 pre launch

• Heftier patches coming

Also, and related to this ATD, that the FPS & coordinates display could be exploited for hacking & aim bottling purposes, and that was the main reason it was removed.

#77 Grimmnyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 28 June 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

Ask the Devs #41

Ed Steele: Any chance that you will allow us to remove actuators or add custom actuators to add custom "quirks" to our mechs? I personally would not even mind if I had to spend MC to do this, it would allow us to make a more personally customized mech.
A: It hasn’t been discussed internally yet.

Well, thanks for getting to my question. I guess the word "yet" is promising.

#78 INSEkT L0GIC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 28 June 2013 - 04:46 PM, said:

[/font]
O Yea, let's make MW:O forteza or Heavy Gears now. Where in the lore/canon does it suggest that this was even possible.

It comes from various Design Quirks Rules, and also from the Solaris and Prototypes TRO fluff.

#79 Dude42

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

The only thing I took away from that entire post were the words "Out of the gate" when referring to being able to choose not to play against 3PVers, directly implying that that option will be removed. Especially considering the repeated use of the very same "out of the gate" phrasing when absolutely talking about something that was going to change. Dear god. The end is nigh.

Edited by Dude42, 28 June 2013 - 07:46 PM.

#80 Grimmnyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

View PostLoxx, on 28 June 2013 - 05:44 PM, said:

I've seen some smoke blown in my time but Wow, this Ask The Devs is a virtual masterpiece of bovine scatology!

You can almost feel the panic in every answer of "after launch, after launch, its on the list, after launch, we're looking into it, after launch." I realize this is the most hectic time for devs when building a game, but honestly, the game should be just about finished now. The last 12 or so weeks before launch should be all about the spit and polish of the final product. You still have 3 major features that are the core of the game to add along with multiple other tweaks. you have customers leaving in droves over serious balancing issues. Yet your answer to all them is "after launch". We want to love your game! But you're making that extremely difficult to do so.

Well, PGI is learning that promising (or indirectly promising) features and or lack of features on the forum is a very bad idea, so the more that we complain, the more our questions will be answered vaguely and ambiguously.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users