9 replies to this topic

#1 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:37 AM

Ok i can start by saying this is the first Heavy Mech I've actually really enjoyed. <_<
QKD-5K i liked this one best
Quickdraw match

1. Your Armor... max it out if possible. the default armor load is extremely light for a heavy mech, you'll need every scrap of it. your blocky body and beefy legs have nice big targets painted all over it. spread your damage out as much as possible and in my opinion the glass jaw of an XL engine on your wide frame is a bad idea. you can still move at 81kph even with the STD300 engine they start yah with, which is still respectable for a Heavy.

2. Keep your Jump Jets (at least 2). close range urban fighting is your friend. unload on your target/victim until your getting roasted in your cockpit then turn and hop over a building and out of harms way. cool off, hop back and resume the prior mentioned murder. using this tactic against slow moving assault mechs is extremely effective. you have the potential to be a slippery and hard hitting annoyance to your enemies. use that.

3. Be a battle buddy. pair up with a medium early game or an assault if one is near by. i've noticed some people didn't pay much attention to me if either a softer target or a greater perceived threat is nearby, giving you ample opportunity to take some chunks off the poor guy ;). Never run in alone, this guy does not have the armor to withstand concentrated fire for long.

4. Fittings. they can be pretty situational to what you want to do. the QKD-5K can be to be a laser blazing machine to melt holes in even the toughest of armor and the QKD-4H can either tote some LRMs for some long range game, some SRMs for a shotgun blast to the face or an effective light mech killer with a triple dose of SSRMs while still having 4 energy hardpoints as non ammo dependent damage. i am of the opinion that the 4G is a waste of time. 2 more JJs for a loss of a missile hardpoint from the setup of the 4H. if you need 7 Jump Jets that bad you have a serious problem with gravity and you should seek professional help ;)

5. Lastly and maybe most important. never present yourself as an easy target. unless you are in a good position to attack ie: you have teammates with you. as soon as you take fire. take cover. run behind something, jump over something, drop behind a cliff. you don't want them to start shooting you first... they don't like to stop once they start. let the big dumb Atlas absorb those lasers and PPCs with it's face like they do so well :)

not much else i can say about it really. as long as you're not a ballistic enthusiast, it's a fine mech if not having a bit of a learning curve to it how to effectively use it's maneuverability.
i happened to enjoy it more than my Dragon at least :)

Edited by Leded, 30 June 2013 - 03:32 AM.

#2 Lsq78

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:30 AM

Yeah I agree, the 5K is growing on me like no mech before.

Here is my brawler/flanker QKD
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...76316d66d6b5bcb
I don't think the XL is that much of an issue on this mech. I always died from CT hits with this one, though it might have to do with the speed and maneuverability which allows me to spread the damage quite evenly. I just did 3 games in a row with 4 kills and ~600 damage with it. It's great.

Edited by Lsq78, 30 June 2013 - 05:33 AM.

#3 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:10 AM

jeez that thing will crank on an open run. i still prefer to keep my LLasers for some range game till i get in close tho. heat only really becomes an issue on Tourmaline or Caustic Valley. in a pinch that little extra damage on an alpha really saved my shiny metal butt

#4 goatreich

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 105 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:03 PM

I've been using XL in my QD's and dying form side torso shots is very unusual.

#5 Sparks Murphey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:12 PM

In addition to the extra jump jets, the -4G has a very impressive torso and arm twist range that it's siblings don't share. In my mind, that makes it a better light hunter than the -4H, since there is absolutely nowhere for them to hide from your Streak lock. If you're planning to take the -4G, make use of it's quick twist speed and range.

#6 Vilheim

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 164 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:57 AM

I love my 4G, I believe it has become my new favorite mech. I roll in an XL 320 with 4 Med Lasers and 10 SRMs. Full Jumpjet power. The thing is an incredibly maneuverable brawler. and it is this alone that gives the Quickdraw its power

#7 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:51 AM

hell i figure you pop a huge XL engine in the 4G and 7 jumpjets.... yer gonna be faster then a speeding bullet and able to jump tall buildings in a single bound... :D

for giggles tho i "did" try 7 jets in that thing and it does indeed just freakin fly. on Forest Colony i leaped over the boat in the water surprised the hell out of a poor guy shot him a few times and hopped back over again :D

kinda like having a Dragon that can jump. the only thing thats different is that none of the variants have any ballistic hardpoints, but those are bog and heavy anyways. if you have a steady aiming hand 4 med lasers is just as effective as an AC/20 and alot lighter of a load

#8 TheCrazySteve

• PipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 78 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:05 AM

The side torso hitboxes only extend from the top of the torso to halfway down the torso, while the entire bottom half of the torso is considered center torso, making the QD amazing with huge Xl's because many people will still be aiming at the center torso when they try to go for a side torso kill.

#9 joedawg39s

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 239 posts
  • LocationU.S.

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:44 PM

The only time I ever die to side torso shot is when my CT is alredy about to blow or I did something incredibly stupid. You just need to use the jump jets to spin and protect your sides if they get hurt. I've settled on runing mine with XLs 2 ERLLS or PPCs and backup SRMS or MPLS. I've given up on the torso energy points(not on the K), they always get me hit trying to keep on target or totaly miss and drive up my heat.

They dont have great burst damage but, are so manuverable I can stay alive and put out around 2-300 damage a game. You can absoultey take someone out of the game with constant hit and run attacks even if you take forever to kill them.

Call me crazy but I'm digging arm mounted ppcs in the 4g. You can make some spectacular shots while dodging with your jets. And they look cool too.

#10 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

First as a veteran Quickdraw pilot and fanatical technician try my thread here for my builds and some tips I may have missed in response to this thread.

View PostLeded, on 30 June 2013 - 02:37 AM, said:

1. Your Armor... max it out if possible. the default armor load is extremely light for a heavy mech, you'll need every scrap of it. your blocky body and beefy legs have nice big targets painted all over it. spread your damage out as much as possible and in my opinion the glass jaw of an XL engine on your wide frame is a bad idea. you can still move at 81kph even with the STD300 engine they start yah with, which is still respectable for a Heavy.

Armor is damn important for the quickdraw, but its CT is pretty easy to beat up on so its not complete suicide to put in a XL engine (I recommend at 340XL AFTER you get speed tweak, dont XL before that though IMO.)

2. Keep your Jump Jets (at least 2). close range urban fighting is your friend. unload on your target/victim until your getting roasted in your cockpit then turn and hop over a building and out of harms way. cool off, hop back and resume the prior mentioned murder. using this tactic against slow moving assault mechs is extremely effective. you have the potential to be a slippery and hard hitting annoyance to your enemies. use that.

JJ's are insanely important for most quickdraw builds, but I find that 3 is the magic number for me due to their weight.

3. Be a battle buddy. pair up with a medium early game or an assault if one is near by. i've noticed some people didn't pay much attention to me if either a softer target or a greater perceived threat is nearby, giving you ample opportunity to take some chunks off the poor guy :). Never run in alone, this guy does not have the armor to withstand concentrated fire for long.

For whatever reason I find I work real well alongside centurions, especially Yen-Lo-wangs due to their higher speed they often keep up/sometimes outrun my 340XL quicky.

4. Fittings. they can be pretty situational to what you want to do. the QKD-5K can be to be a laser blazing machine to melt holes in even the toughest of armor and the QKD-4H can either tote some LRMs for some long range game, some SRMs for a shotgun blast to the face or an effective light mech killer with a triple dose of SSRMs while still having 4 energy hardpoints as non ammo dependent damage. i am of the opinion that the 4G is a waste of time. 2 more JJs for a loss of a missile hardpoint from the setup of the 4H. if you need 7 Jump Jets that bad you have a serious problem with gravity and you should seek professional help <_<

See my thread link at the top there for thoughts on individual variants.

5. Lastly and maybe most important. never present yourself as an easy target. unless you are in a good position to attack ie: you have teammates with you. as soon as you take fire. take cover. run behind something, jump over something, drop behind a cliff. you don't want them to start shooting you first... they don't like to stop once they start. let the big dumb Atlas absorb those lasers and PPCs with it's face like they do so well :D

Quickdraws are high priority targets with veteran pilots right now, mostly because they are easy to hit even a quickdraw doing 106kph isn't hard to hit unless its at 900m+. Worse yet seismic sensor makes entire teams chase you around and because of your size, youll suffer vital hits or get cornered much easier than a light in the same situation. When playing a quickdraw outside of the low end ELO bracket pretend you have the flag and everyone on the other team wants it the moment they see you, cause thats about what it feels like most of the time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users