Why Not MechWarrior Movie ?

64 replies to this topic

#21 maxx2504

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:50 AM

Hi !
The problem is no one got the gutts to make an MW movie. The problem is maybe they are afraid that these movies are not profitable enough. Many people know Battletech but how many people would go into a movie theatre for this ? Ok...we all would go, but thats not enough. Its like with the pc games today...you must adress all age groups to have succes. I think thats the main reason no one would make a movie :D

And if someone ever make an MW movie...i hope its not only an effect movie with a story that sucks...you know what i mean :)

maxx

#22 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:55 AM

half of Season 1, Warrior trilogy, other half of season 1 Jade Phoenix (books 1-2), Season 2 Blood of Kerensky + Jade Pheonix 3

#23 Max Liao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 695 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCrimson, Canopus IV

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:28 AM

View PostCoffiNail, on 09 November 2011 - 10:55 AM, said:

half of Season 1, Warrior trilogy, other half of season 1 Jade Phoenix (books 1-2), Season 2 Blood of Kerensky + Jade Pheonix 3

As timeline goes, I like it. However, that would really ruin the Clan 'surprise' ...

#24 CaveMan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationIn a leather flying cap and goggles

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:33 AM

I could get behind a MW miniseries (not on HBO, as much as I love HBO miniseries, they'd have to s3x (really, this one is censored???) it up to a point it wouldn't be recognizable because that's what their audience seems to expect) but please, for the love of g0d base it on something other than Stackpole's books. If I had to hear again about how perfect Victor and Phelan are I'd shoot myself.

The Twilight of the Clans series would make a good TV series, it starts out slow without too much gratuitous action and ramps up nicely by the time they reach Huntress. Problem is a LOT of it would have to be told in flashback to clue the audience in on the characters' motivations, and to explain the history and technology of the universe.

Collapse of the Star League and the Amaris Coup would be a better bet, IMO. It's more "high-concept", people can easily relate to the idea of a utopian empire threatened by corruption. There's also a healthy amount of intrigue that you can play up before the war starts. Amaris worming his way into the Cameron family, Kerensky getting pushed out to the Periphery to beat down the locals so he'll be out of the way, House lords scheming. Plus you get to introduce characters like Kerensky that set the stage for later developments in the series, and that could be important if you want to make a sequel.

Edited by CaveMan, 09 November 2011 - 11:34 AM.

#25 Mechwarrior Of Rock

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationERROR 404

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:36 AM

As long as it`s not made by Michael Bay I`m okay. :)

#26 Max Liao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 695 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:43 AM

View PostCaveMan, on 09 November 2011 - 11:33 AM, said:

... but please, for the love of g0d base it on something other than Stackpole's books. If I had to hear again about how perfect Victor and Phelan are I'd shoot myself.
I will agree and disagree. I disagree, because I think that Stackpoles books envelop the IS as a whole, all of the political intrigue and happenstance. From the Genyosha (sp?) and Morgan Kell, to NAIS and Lt/Capt Redburn, to Jenna Gray and Melissa Steiner ... and so on. About Victor and Phelan ... and I'll even add in Kai ... I agree with you.

View PostCaveMan, on 09 November 2011 - 11:33 AM, said:

Collapse of the Star League and the Amaris Coup would be a better bet, IMO. It's more "high-concept", people can easily relate to the idea of a utopian empire threatened by corruption. There's also a healthy amount of intrigue that you can play up before the war starts. Amaris worming his way into the Cameron family, Kerensky getting pushed out to the Periphery to beat down the locals so he'll be out of the way, House lords scheming. Plus you get to introduce characters like Kerensky that set the stage for later developments in the series, and that could be important if you want to make a sequel.

This I can get with for the simple fact (of what you said) and that there's just enough written about it to give placeholders, but not so much that you can develop interesting and unique stories.

Edited by Max Liao, 09 November 2011 - 11:43 AM.

#27 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:17 PM

I knew that this question come here, sonner or later.

I'm waiting so long, but nothing happens. There is enough stuff for some movies or series, but maybe it's better that it's not comes. So many movie-imples gone wrong and failed so much..

#28 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:37 PM

View PostMax Liao, on 09 November 2011 - 06:30 AM, said:

Because RobotJox killed the genre for all time. :)

This + Starship Troopers (1,2 & especially 3) = dead

The only way they could make it interesting is to add less mechs, more drama and have it be about one planet at war. Even then I suspect it would end up going to dvd fairly fast because there just isn't enough of a drive for it to get the money for production.

#29 feor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:27 PM

View PostAlizabeth Aijou, on 09 November 2011 - 08:13 AM, said:

Another problem would be the plot.
BT has plenty of battles, but which one to use as basis for a film?
Wobbie Jihad? Probably not.
Clan Invasion? Takes too long.
Operation Bulldog? More likely.
Etc.etc.etc.

I'd say start simple. Have the opening scene of the movie being a certain Steiner-Davion wedding ceremony with Maxi looking at his plate going "Why are my planets on FedRat wedding chi... oh sh-!" Then cut to some relatively minor world on the Davion/Liao border as the opening shots of the 4th Succession War are being fired. :)

Heck, if they decided to feature Black Widow Company of the Dragoons they could even use Anastasia as an excuse to put it on HBO. :D

#30 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:36 PM

View PostKagemusha, on 09 November 2011 - 06:37 AM, said:

Because Transformers got made instead. Paramount had both properties, and decided to make Transformers. It turned out well for them financially.

If you look closely, you can see how some of the weapons used (and some other minor design elements) would have fit perfectly for MW.

Does anyone have more information about what lead 'them' to produce Transformers instead of Battletech?

#31 Grafix TM

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationWorld Traveler

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:44 PM

Dave School did a mini Mech Warrior movie back in 2008. See Video Below:

#32 uumd

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:18 PM

It will take someone with a vision/concept and enough clout to get a studio to pony up the cash.

The Battletech Universe is so vast you could tell any story you wanted.

A miniseries would be great, but I would expect a small scale story as the first entry,
just to see what kind of traction it gets.

I hate to say it but the Star Wars premise would work as good as anything as a start,
backwater planet, lonely youth dreams of getting away and then whatever, ship crashes,
or grandfather leaves him some weird access codes, or someone tries to kill him for no
apparent reason. Sure it's all generic, but you gotta start somewhere.

Personally I'd settle for a 90 minute recruitment video for Wolfs Dragoons kinda like how
Starship Troopers was presented.

Edited by uumd, 09 November 2011 - 05:20 PM.

#33 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:29 PM

so many bad movies and cartoons out there already as it is. I'd rather mechwarrior didnt get thrown onto the burning pile.

#34 uumd

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:44 PM

Still not sure why they haven't tried a comic again or a graphic novel might be a better idea.

Edited by uumd, 09 November 2011 - 05:45 PM.

#35 Miles Tails Prower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationStrike Cruiser: "Fury of Descent"

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:41 PM

One thing at a time. Most people these days don't even know what Battletech or Mechwarrior is, you only launch movies of games that are extremely popular among your every day gamers.

#36 Captain Nice HD

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationTaurian Concordat

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:50 PM

You know, William Shatner would be a shoe-in for Hanse Davion...

#37 IONTIGER

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:41 PM

I know, let us get james cameron to do a battle tech movie. >:)

#38 T S Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationLuzerne

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:26 PM

View PostMax Liao, on 09 November 2011 - 06:33 AM, said:

Sorry for the double post, but ...

As I see series like Game of Thrones, an HBO (very close) adaptation of George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series, I think it would be amazing to see a similarly done adaptation of Stackpole's Warrior and Blood of Kerensky trilogies. :D

oh *** not stackpole.. yes he did ok IMO but the guy was heavy on the fedrats :) I would be ok if they re-did the story more set to an anime style look than what Fox was showing with those crappy voice actors!!

This universe is huge and it would make for a great movie or cartoon/anime type series

#39 Max Liao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 695 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:10 AM

Well, as a fanatic for the Capellan Confederation, I won't argue that. But he does have the best overall 'grand story' when compared to the other. Personally, I'd love to see Loren Colman's Capellan books made into a movie, but without the overall socio-political references/context (of which Stackpole did the best), they would be lost on all but the most die hard fans.

#40 Kef

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 444 posts
  • LocationMunich / Tamar-March

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:46 AM

http://www.battletec...ie.eu/index.php
(us/german fanproject)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users