Why Not MechWarrior Movie ?

64 replies to this topic

#41 SquareSphere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationIn your clouds, stealing your thunder

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:44 AM

Hey now, Starship Troopers 1 is a CLASSIC!

#42 FlystreesVagann

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:10 PM

View PostSquareSphere, on 10 November 2011 - 10:44 AM, said:

Hey now, Starship Troopers 1 is a CLASSIC!

Need to agree on this,just watched it again recently and it still holds up,great action sci-fi flick.

Can't say same for other two Starship Troopers movies ... lol

#43 Kumakichi

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,337 posts
  • LocationYoyodyne Propulsion Factory

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:22 PM

There was supposedly a mechwarrior themed movie that was in the works many years ago. I'm not sure what happened.

#44 Alizabeth Aijou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:29 PM

View PostCaveMan, on 09 November 2011 - 11:33 AM, said:

Collapse of the Star League and the Amaris Coup would be a better bet, IMO. It's more "high-concept", people can easily relate to the idea of a utopian empire threatened by corruption. There's also a healthy amount of intrigue that you can play up before the war starts. Amaris worming his way into the Cameron family, Kerensky getting pushed out to the Periphery to beat down the locals so he'll be out of the way, House lords scheming. Plus you get to introduce characters like Kerensky that set the stage for later developments in the series, and that could be important if you want to make a sequel.

Too many 'Mechs/WarShips required for that, imo.
Operation Liberation alone saw the use of 100 BattleMech Divisions (each composed of 3 brigades, which in turn consist of 3+ regiments). Total number of BattleMechs: close to 100.000. And that's on Kerensky's side. Additionally, he had around a thousand WarShips ready to invade Terra with.
On the " bright side" the SLDF lost ¾ of their pre-civil war forces.

so many bad movies and cartoons out there already as it is. I'd rather mechwarrior didnt get thrown onto the burning pile.

They already got a bad cartoon. :)
Depending on who you talk to, ofcourse.

You know, William Shatner would be a shoe-in for Hanse Davion...

You sure he isn't too tall to be Hanse?

#45 Grafix TM

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationWorld Traveler

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:53 PM

View PostKumakichi, on 10 November 2011 - 02:22 PM, said:

There was supposedly a mechwarrior themed movie that was in the works many years ago. I'm not sure what happened.

Yes it was a creation of an Art School in the United States called "Dave School". I linked the completed movie video in this thread in post number 31 of this thread.

http://mwomercs.com/...dpost__p__26932

#46 Meth0s

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:48 PM

View PostGrafix™, on 10 November 2011 - 03:53 PM, said:

Yes it was a creation of an Art School in the United States called "Dave School". I linked the completed movie video in this thread in post number 31 of this thread.

http://mwomercs.com/...dpost__p__26932

Nah, he's referring to the one that Dean Devlin (Independence Day, 8-Legged Freaks, Fly Boys) was going to do. Dean later said that Paramount decided to do Transformers instead. At this point they were doing pre-production work, including getting a studio ready for filming, they had a script ready). When the studio was dismantled, there was basically no chance to get it going again. Dean tried to shop it around, but there were no takers. I think that at this point the rights have likely reverted to FanPro.

#47 Grafix TM

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationWorld Traveler

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:19 PM

Ah...ok...

View PostMethosFurey, on 10 November 2011 - 04:48 PM, said:

Nah, he's referring to the one that Dean Devlin (Independence Day, 8-Legged Freaks, Fly Boys) was going to do. Dean later said that Paramount decided to do Transformers instead. At this point they were doing pre-production work, including getting a studio ready for filming, they had a script ready). When the studio was dismantled, there was basically no chance to get it going again. Dean tried to shop it around, but there were no takers. I think that at this point the rights have likely reverted to FanPro.

Ah...I remember that one. He had a website also up that show the progress of the movie project.

#48 CaveMan

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationIn a leather flying cap and goggles

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:44 PM

View PostAlizabeth Aijou, on 10 November 2011 - 03:29 PM, said:

Too many 'Mechs/WarShips required for that, imo.
Operation Liberation alone saw the use of 100 BattleMech Divisions (each composed of 3 brigades, which in turn consist of 3+ regiments). Total number of BattleMechs: close to 100.000. And that's on Kerensky's side. Additionally, he had around a thousand WarShips ready to invade Terra with.

How is any of this a bad thing? CGI can handle 'Mech armies. You're not going to put 100,000 'Mechs onscreen in any one shot, anyway. A hundred at most where any sort of detail is visible. (regimental battle line is going to be miles wide, after all)

#49 feor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:01 PM

View PostCaveMan, on 10 November 2011 - 05:44 PM, said:

How is any of this a bad thing? CGI can handle 'Mech armies. You're not going to put 100,000 'Mechs onscreen in any one shot, anyway. A hundred at most where any sort of detail is visible. (regimental battle line is going to be miles wide, after all)

$$$

Every mech on screen has to be animated. Jackson spent so much cash doing the big battle scenes for LotR that it almost defies belief.

Besides, when it gets up to that scale they lose some of that "king of the battlefield" mystique, plus in a Star League era setting it would be almost impossible to avoid using Unseen (which were supposed to be the most common mechs in the SLDF by a wide margin). If you move it up to 3025, while the unseen were still common you would also run into alot of Catapults,Centurions, Vindicators, etc. If you moved it up even further to the Clan era you can almost abandon the Unseen altogether, but then you've got more back story to exposit on.

#50 CaveMan

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationIn a leather flying cap and goggles

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:02 AM

View Postfeor, on 10 November 2011 - 07:01 PM, said:

$$$

Every mech on screen has to be animated. Jackson spent so much cash doing the big battle scenes for LotR that it almost defies belief.

Yeah, I know. I'm supposed to be doing this stuff for a living. It's been ten years though. Rendering hardware is ten times cheaper per GHz than it was then. Crowd-behavior software has come a long way since Jackson started filming the LotR trilogy, a lot of the techniques he invented for those movies. They have dedicated middleware for that now. Hand-animation is for foreground stuff, and a halfway decent director is going to focus the action narrowly enough that the audience doesn't get lost in a huge battle. Actually one of my major artistic complaints about the Jackson movies is they used too many "epic" wide-angle shots. We get it, the armies are huge, let's move on and focus on the characters.

In any case, wanting to do a BattleTech movie and not going big-budget with it is questionable at best. You could maybe do something on a small budget that was a lot like Firefly, with one dropship, a lance of 'Mechs, and a main cast of about a dozen, but 90% of your budget would still go into effects.

#51 Xhaleon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 542 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:25 AM

View PostCaveMan, on 11 November 2011 - 12:02 AM, said:

In any case, wanting to do a BattleTech movie and not going big-budget with it is questionable at best. You could maybe do something on a small budget that was a lot like Firefly, with one dropship, a lance of 'Mechs, and a main cast of about a dozen, but 90% of your budget would still go into effects.

They could uh... just go re-use the 3015 MW5 storyline since that game was supposed to be a reboot anyway for attracting new people. The script is right there for you to use. The model assets are already present, even if it would be bummer that you couldn't use the Whammy.

#52 Naughtyboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:58 AM

what about the maker of avatar to make the movie together with some of the old book writters?

#53 Grafix TM

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationWorld Traveler

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:39 AM

View PostNaughtyboy, on 11 November 2011 - 07:58 AM, said:

what about the maker of avatar to make the movie together with some of the old book writters?
That would be interesting to.see.

#54 Kenichero

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:05 PM

Hate to even bring this up but I had to:

#55 SquareSphere

• 1,656 posts
  • LocationIn your clouds, stealing your thunder

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:09 PM

meh, I liked the cartoon.

#56 uumd

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:24 PM

View PostCaveMan, on 11 November 2011 - 12:02 AM, said:

I would wish for something more epic, but something Firefly'ish would be way more likely. They would have to narrow the scope of the movie to keep costs in line.

View PostXhaleon, on 11 November 2011 - 01:25 AM, said:

They could uh... just go re-use the 3015 MW5 storyline since that game was supposed to be a reboot anyway for attracting new people. The script is right there for you to use. The model assets are already present, even if it would be bummer that you couldn't use the Whammy.

I was always under the impression that the Mechwarrior 4 Vengeance story line started out as a potential movie script. Both Mech 4 and 3015 are kinda similar anyway.

The last I heard, movie rights are in the hands of Topp's parent company, Michael Eisner's Tornante. Eisner came from Disney in case his name sounds familiar to any of you. Hard to guess what plans if any Tornante has.

Movie effects prices are always declining and Hollywood has seemed to run out of new ideas for the last 15 years, so who knows, they might give a Battletech/Mechwarrior movie a shot.

Edited by uumd, 11 November 2011 - 12:25 PM.

#57 Firefly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 757 posts
  • LocationAtlanta GA

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:32 PM

I don't want Hollywood "big cinema" touching this beloved IP. They can't seem to make a decent movie *AT ALL* these days.

#58 Grafix TM

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationWorld Traveler

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:43 PM

Just have to get the right inspired writer, director, and crew to fulfill a great MW movie.

"Green/Environmentally friendly" movies, series, and televisions have made some development costs reasonable. BattleStar Galactica and Sanctuary are some of the "Green" productions using more CGI than hard sets.

----------
Sent from HTC smartphone

Edited by Grafixâ„¢, 11 November 2011 - 12:46 PM.

#59 Blackangel

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationlima ohio terra

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:36 AM

with the tech available a multi movie series would be great and easy to make now
look at Dave's school vids on youtube . and some of the recent sci-fi movies out now with big bots and things in them like the transformers trilogy now..

#60 Korbyn McColl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 402 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:43 AM

I wouldn't want a MechWarrior movie, but a MechWarrior TV series could be good. Would definitely be better than a lot of the crap they put on SyFy right now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users