Inquiry - 2013 July Creative Director Update

Answered

141 replies to this topic

#61 Multitallented

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 697 posts
  • Locationright behind you (figuratively)

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

View PostNiko Snow, on 09 July 2013 - 07:28 AM, said:

We're aware some of you are eager to see this update "right nao!1!".

How about seeing this update on time?

#62 Sir Roland MXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

View PostGenewen, on 09 July 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

You see Niko, as someone involved in game development I can totally understand that sometimes, it will just not be clear what will make the patch and what will not. That just cannot be helped. Especially in that extremely busy phase when approaching a release. although in cases like with MW:O, I actually consider that term a joke.

The uncertainties of patching are however no excuse whatsoever for not communicating with your playerbase. If a CDU cannot be completed due to this, either make a CDU about what you do know and add a part saying that you might be able to add some more, but are not sure about it, or just make an announcement that this month's CDU will either not happen or only happen in the second half of the month. Saying nothing is not good community management.

Multiple swings of the hammer producing 100% hit-rate on nail-heads here. Thing about community mis-management is that this has been a chronic problem for PGI since before MW:O began, so it's unlikely that will ever change - if they could they would've by now.

And if gails of laughter, in both volume and length, are any measure of the entertainment factor of any given joke, then "MW:O release" is far and away the best joke I've heard in years. This game is missing an entire "pillar" - Community Warfare - and ends up being like a square 3 legged table. Also the only reason to set the game in this time period is the Clan Invasion, which started two months ago, but the Il'khan is forced to sit twiddling his thumbs, waiting on PGI to greenlight him.

So, yeah, release... wow. Two months to go, and the worst part is that this game is really unchanged from where it was ten months ago when I started here. We have ten more mechs, we have Artemis, Narc, ECM, and BAP, we have 3 more truely NEW maps, but other than that what's changed? Added modules, check. Added mech customization, check. Performance increased? Actually no, I got better FPS and ping when I started, Murphy's Law of PGI - Performance improvements AREN'T.

So as of now, this game is very little different than it was ten months ago, especially when compared to how it SHOULD be. CW should have been out months ago. Clans should've been live last month at the lastest. UI 2.0 is also drastically behind schedule. Weapon balancing was declared back in November or December to be "pretty much where they wanted it", and THAT isn't finished either.

I really wish the words "MW:O" and "release" didn't make me laugh so hard, I really do. Sadly, that's not the case. CDU's and ah... how shall I put this. "Misrepresented" and / or "inaccurate" excuses for CDU's being late just makes it obvious that the next two months and beyond will be the same as the past ten: a (Star Trek) rating of GNDN, IE Going Nowhere, Doing Nothing.

EDIT Spelling & Grammar, because I care.

Edited by Sir Roland MXIII, 09 July 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#63 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

You know, even a short 10 word twitter-like response is better than what we have currently.

"I APOLOGIZE. WILL POST UPDATE AT END OF WEEK."

See? You could solve problems like this effortlessly. Too bad this is not even a regular practice.

#64 InRev

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:12 PM

I kinda feel bad for Niko. He has to clean up PGI's messes even though he's technically an IGP employee. That must be frustrating as hell. It's not even his own company he has to defend. He's prolly sitting at his desk wondering the same thing that we're wondering: "wtf is PGI doing"?

#65 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

View PostInRev, on 09 July 2013 - 02:12 PM, said:

I kinda feel bad for Niko. He has to clean up PGI's messes even though he's technically an IGP employee. That must be frustrating as hell. It's not even his own company he has to defend. He's prolly sitting at his desk wondering the same thing that we're wondering: "wtf is PGI doing"?

i think its nice that the people who are funding PGI is able to hear some of what players of PGI's game has to say.

So if they push PGI to make money with things like consumables or requireing subscription for CW. They can see first hand the response on forums.

avoid a Xbox One debacle if you will

Edited by Tennex, 09 July 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#66 Chavette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

View PostGevurah, on 09 July 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

You'll notice no updates from bryan on twitter either. I'm willing to bet he's incommunicado due to one of those famous canadian "vacations". AKA went on a canada day bender and woke up in paraguay.

Documenting that would be a pretty effective way to have a 24hour livestream fundraiser... just sayin'.

Edited by Chavette, 09 July 2013 - 02:18 PM.

#67 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:19 PM

View PostChavette, on 09 July 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

Documenting that would be a pretty effective way to have a 24hour livestream fundraiser... just sayin'.

The Hangover: PGI Edition

Would pay to see.

Edited by Deathlike, 09 July 2013 - 02:19 PM.

#68 Valdemaar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 227 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:30 PM

Preparing such updates too far in advance can be problematic.
Please stay frosty; It'll be up as soon as possible.

We're not asking for it "right nao!1!" as you termed it, we're only asking for a sensible schedule in which the update for planned content is released before the first patch in which the planned content is to be released.

In other words, we don't want it right now. We want it eight days, and counting, ago.

#69 Mackman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:41 PM

Preparing such updates too far in advance can be problematic.
Please stay frosty; It'll be up as soon as possible.

"We're aware some of you are eager to see this regularly scheduled, easily implemented PAGE OF TEXT within roughly one week of when it should be up. Don't even worry about it: We're getting really close to thinking about getting it done."

#70 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:24 PM

View PostDeathofSelf, on 08 July 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

It's almost like they have given up and just plan on releasing this game half finished

Or they are so preoccupied with fixing all the "bad things" behind closed curtains to "Ta-DAAAAAHHH" surprise us in one fell, community-overwhelming swoop and then go on mini-tweaking things from there ? ? ?

Who the heck except them bosses know it for real ?

*Sitting, waiting, wishing* to quote a quite nice Singer/Songwriter

#71 Sir Roland MXIII

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:25 PM

View PostRad Hanzo, on 09 July 2013 - 04:24 PM, said:

Or they are so preoccupied with fixing all the "bad things" behind closed curtains to "Ta-DAAAAAHHH" surprise us in one fell, community-overwhelming swoop and then go on mini-tweaking things from there ? ? ?

Who the heck except them bosses know it for real ?

*Sitting, waiting, wishing* to quote a quite nice Singer/Songwriter

Believe me, I'd LOVE to see this happen, much like the Phoenix announcement, but the way PGI's going it's EXTREMELY difficult to hope for those before release without having a nagging worry that I should be institutionalized for doing so.

Edited by Sir Roland MXIII, 09 July 2013 - 04:26 PM.

#72 Jack Lowe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationStaten Island, NY

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:34 PM

yeah no updates to Brian's twitter. Last date I saw was for Jul 2nd that would of been last Tues. He's the guy that puts em out. Hopefully he's just on vacation and someone up there dropped the ball on covering for him while he's out. Much as I'm a bit irritated about not getting a monthly update I'd feel like an *** if he had to take off cause of some emergency in his home life. So for the most part I'm curious but biting my tongue for now. When he's been spotted and I know all's well then we can begin roasting him.

#73 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:34 PM

View PostSir Roland MXIII, on 09 July 2013 - 04:25 PM, said:

Believe me, I'd LOVE to see this happen, much like the Phoenix announcement, but the way PGI's going it's EXTREMELY difficult to hope for those before release without having a nagging worry that I should be institutionalized for doing so.

I´m just guilty of being a hopeless optimist in regards to videogames I like, but am quite hardened about the most probable outcomes ... e.g: S.T.A.L.K.E.R : Shadow of Tschernobyl release content where 2/3´s of the promised content where missing.
Well, I´ve gone back to playing it now, nearly a decade later with StalkerSoup (awesome mod, check it out at http://www.tecnobacon.com ) because it´s a murderously awesome game modded like that, which only kinda shows where my true trust lies :
Them modders !
:(

Edited by Rad Hanzo, 09 July 2013 - 04:34 PM.

#74 Tekadept

• Knight Errant
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:35 PM

And they wonder why this forum is "Toxic"

#75 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:12 PM

Its definitely irresponsible. But i have gotten used to it from PGI.

Something I would never do something irresponsible like this though without a "doctor's note"

Edited by Tennex, 09 July 2013 - 05:13 PM.

#76 hoverstorm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 107 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:59 PM

Disappointed, since they wouldn't even borther about their customers who pays them for a game which is far from being completed (if ever).

#77 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:58 PM

View PostTennex, on 09 July 2013 - 05:12 PM, said:

Its definitely irresponsible. But i have gotten used to it from PGI.

Something I would never do something irresponsible like this though without a "doctor's note"

Does this doctor's note allow you to get some "Mary Jane"? :(

#78 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:03 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 09 July 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

Does this doctor's note allow you to get some "Mary Jane"? :(

i hope thats not the one they're using

#79 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:00 PM

Reading through this thread, I've had a terrible realization: we've gone from eagerly guzzling down the scraps of new content we get to waiting for even just an announcement of content. It's a mixed bag, at best- while the content roadmaps and CDUs give us promises of great things we want to hear about like 12v12, UI2, CW, factions, clans, and new game modes, at least the monthly new mech, while not really bringing anything new to the table, gives us content instead of just a page of text about features which have a deadline of 30 days, but are MIA months later.

#80 Sir Roland MXIII

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:00 PM

View Postaniviron, on 09 July 2013 - 08:00 PM, said:

Reading through this thread, I've had a terrible realization: we've gone from eagerly guzzling down the scraps of new content we get to waiting for even just an announcement of content. It's a mixed bag, at best- while the content roadmaps and CDUs give us promises of great things we want to hear about like 12v12, UI2, CW, factions, clans, and new game modes, at least the monthly new mech, while not really bringing anything new to the table, gives us content instead of just a page of text about features which have a deadline of 30 days, but are MIA months later.

Welcome to how some of us have felt since before this left Closed Beta back around October.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users