116 replies to this topic

#21 Lyoncet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:03 AM

View PostSirSlaughter, on 01 August 2013 - 05:05 AM, said:

BJ-1X with 2 PPC, 6 small lasers, XL295 and total 12 DHS

How do you find the PPCs work in that build? It seems to me you'd want ERPPCs because otherwise you'd have a pretty small window where you can use both weapons at all, and you literally can't use the PPC when you get into optimal range for the SLAS.

#22 SirSlaughter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 370 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:20 AM

View PostLyoncet, on 01 August 2013 - 09:03 AM, said:

How do you find the PPCs work in that build? It seems to me you'd want ERPPCs because otherwise you'd have a pretty small window where you can use both weapons at all, and you literally can't use the PPC when you get into optimal range for the SLAS.

This BJ-1X build is kinda young. Heatsinks are not enough to fire both PPC and SL groups (it takes 11 seconds to overheat). ERPPCs are too hot to run with 12 DHS.

I use it like a medium range fighter with the high speed to engage targets of opportunity (45 seconds before overheat). The 6-Small-lasers weapon system is there to enjoy some close range.

My favorite build is the one with 6 ML and 1 ER large laser but I'm getting tired ;)

Edited by SirSlaughter, 02 August 2013 - 01:37 AM.

#23 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:08 AM

Rebuilt my BJ3 Breadknife after the alpha nerf.

Breadknife 2.0
2 ERPPC
2 MLaz
15 DHS
235 XL
2 JJ
ES
288 Armour

Instead of providing direct support with 4 LLaz, now I stay 400~500m away from brawl and throw ERPPC into the fray. The 2 Mlaz as backup when running hot but preferably not to use them, unless trying to rake some exposed internal or get a killshot while ERPPC are on cooldown.

Engine have been upgraded from 200XL to 235XL, better speed to get out of sight.

#24 Greyrook

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:50 PM

This is my new best friend, what I'm dubbing the BJ-1X RainbowJack because of all the different lasers it uses. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9c36619acfe7ce7.

I tried it out because of someone else's build that I saw, didn't expect much and was amazed by how much punch it packs. One would think that having so many ranges would make it a poor jack-of-all-trades (wheeeee PUNS) but since its outfit puts it as a light-killer and backstabber, it all works quite well together. The LL gives some range options when chasing faster mechs and while closing distances, the smalls give high close-quarters DPS and the mediums compliment either. I haven't quite got the c-bills to outfit one -exactly- like this, but the build I'm using is very close and, if anything, worse with a 280XL engine and small pulses to make up the weight difference.

If only it had jump jets...it would be perrrrrrrfect

Edited by Greyrook, 03 August 2013 - 08:54 PM.

#25 Hawks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationFalling Outside The Normal Moral Constraints

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:12 AM

BJ1-DC

6xML
2xMG, 1t ammo
DHS, ES
225 standard

Posted Image

#26 Nema Nabojiv

• 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:31 AM

I've been playing blackjacks for three weeks and wanna share two builds I found very effective and fun to play.

BJ-1 Hunchjack
xl235, AC20 + 3 tons of ammo, 3 mlas, 10 DHS, endo, 4 JJ
Really, BJ is simply better platform for AC20 than hunchbak or wang. It can actually run and jump, and shoot from ridges etc.

BJ-3-almost-stock
xl235, 2 PPC, 2 mlas, 15 DHS, endo, 4 JJ
Pure midrange suport, less fun than ac-20 carrier but more effective, simple as that.

#27 BP Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

Personally i only use one JJ in my AC20 jack, but i cram in 5 tons of ammo. Can still jump over an atlas, and shoot it an extra 14 times :wacko:

#28 Nema Nabojiv

• 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:13 PM

yeah, one extra ton of ammo would be good. Maybe two JJs arn't that mush of a sacrifice for it.

#29 Maarvy

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:43 AM

So ... Forgive me for being a newb but why cant I equip a xL engine on my Blackjack Bj-1x . Apparently theres not enough slots ?

#30 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:27 AM

View PostMaarvy, on 07 August 2013 - 07:43 AM, said:

So ... Forgive me for being a newb but why cant I equip a xL engine on my Blackjack Bj-1x . Apparently theres not enough slots ?

An XL engine takes up the normal slots of a standard engine, plus three slots in each side torso. I'm guessing your 1X build is filled with double heatsinks in the left and right torso preventing the installation of an XL engine (until you remove a heatsink in each side torso).

Edited by Ruccus, 07 August 2013 - 08:28 AM.

#31 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:40 AM

Poor mans Hunchjack: BJ-1 Ac20/2ML

With the large number of targets on the field and the ability to take greater advantage of the chaos I found downgrading to the 180 standard wasnt as big a sacrifice as I imagined (as I lost about 10kph off my usual 225) the four jump jets I found to be rather important (at least when testing it on frozen city, jumping out of the trench around theta was handy) do need some trigger discipline as even with 21 shots I was down to about 8 when the match ended though I was firing willy nilly at ravens, awesomes and an atlas at the end there.

Now note that this could be done easier, better and faster with a XL as above posts have shown but im trying to hold my cbill spending ways back a bit till a interesting mech rolls out of the assembly line, crossing my fingers the next heavy out the door dosnt have the same MASSIVE issues the quickdraw and now kintaro came with.

#32 Maarvy

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

View PostRuccus, on 07 August 2013 - 08:27 AM, said:

An XL engine takes up the normal slots of a standard engine, plus three slots in each side torso. I'm guessing your 1X build is filled with double heatsinks in the left and right torso preventing the installation of an XL engine (until you remove a heatsink in each side torso).

Thanks , that's exactly what I'd done . Didn't realise the Xl took up side torso also ,.

#33 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:12 AM

View PostXeno Phalcon, on 07 August 2013 - 08:40 AM, said:

With the large number of targets on the field and the ability to take greater advantage of the chaos I found downgrading to the 180 standard wasnt as big a sacrifice as I imagined (as I lost about 10kph off my usual 225) the four jump jets I found to be rather important (at least when testing it on frozen city, jumping out of the trench around theta was handy) do need some trigger discipline as even with 21 shots I was down to about 8 when the match ended though I was firing willy nilly at ravens, awesomes and an atlas at the end there.

Yes, with the 12v12 grouping I've been making tweaks to my normal build and have changed how I fight during the battle. This build is what I ended up with; I've had some >400 damage matches in it including a nice 760 damage match. Main changes are dropping the 225XL engine for a 180XL, adding an extra ton of Gauss ammo, another jump jet, and some double heatsinks.

I've found slowing my mech down 'encourages' me not to stray as far from the group, the extra jump jet helps with getting into good firing spots since now there are more mechs firing from the normal ground based firing spots, and the heatsinks help a bit with my medium lasers' heat output.

#34 ZionStation

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:12 PM

Just whipped this up in the mech lab. I don't pilot any BJ's but i plan on getting a few. Starting with a bj-1 and hopefully have enough to run this initally. BJ-1

Edited by ZionStation, 22 August 2013 - 12:19 PM.

#35 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:04 PM

View PostZionStation, on 22 August 2013 - 12:12 PM, said:

Just whipped this up in the mech lab. I don't pilot any BJ's but i plan on getting a few. Starting with a bj-1 and hopefully have enough to run this initally. BJ-1

I think you can drop 1ton of MG ammo and 1JJ to fit in AMS with 1 ton ammo.
4000 ammo is quite alot for just 2 MG.

If you are looking to brawl, would suggest cooler weapons
BJ-1 -4 MPL

Does about the same thing but even cooler and cheaper to build.
BJ-1 4ML

Play it safe and snipe from afar.
BJ-1 GaussJack

You can also find the popular AC/20 BJ1 around the forum.

#36 Jenkss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 175 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:03 PM

My BJ1X: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c7dd25ac87bfd93

So far pretty damn successful.

Firing groups set up like this:
right arm mediums
left arm mediums
large laser
both torso smalls

Basically stick to firing the large at distance for plenty of ranged damage. Large and mediums for medium-close range work.

Add the smalls in as a last ditch little bit of extra alpha or for the low heat harass if you get close to an overheat.

That being said though, I rarely overheat and with the number of heat sinks that guy runs you can dissipate VERY fast. Even all 5 mediums and the large are easily handled.

#37 Quaamik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 413 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:30 PM

The loadout I have found I like the most is:

Endo Steel
Ferro Fiber Armor (302 count)
Standard 210 engine (top speed 75.6)
no jump jets
12 dbl heat sinks
beagle probe
AMS w/ 1 ton ammo
2 ER PPCs

heat efficiency is 1.34

Its hot. From normal running it can alfa two times without shutting down on most maps, but you have to let it cool after. I usually slave a different PPC to each key on the mouse and alternate them.

Great for sniping, and it can brawl decently (for a medium mech). Best to either support missile boats (spot, snipe and cover them if someone flanks) or tag along with heavies / assaults and engage whatever targets them. The bad thing is that many pilots assume I'll fall back if the base is threatend and I just don't have the speed to do it.

Edited by Quaamik, 24 August 2013 - 06:36 PM.

#38 Gevurah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 500 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:15 AM

I'm having a blast on my BJ-1 (named John Woo :D ) ...

My first build was this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...67721873fca6f13

Virtually stock, DHS, endo, XL225, more ammo, 2 JJ's, nearly full armor. Notice the armor reallocation to mostly front in the CT - this is critical to survival and highly recommended. 81 KPH is fast for a BJ. I was pulling 1-2 kills a game, 300-400 damage per game.

Very good all around mech; chain fire the two ac2's unless trying to put someone away due to heat spikes. Only downside was as a brawler I felt mildly insufficient.

Changed to this just last night:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...59804e13b89cb53

Swapped out slightly less armor, 1 less JJ, and the AC2's for 2 AC5's + 2 tons of ammo. 2 Tons AC5 doesn't sound like a lot, but I'm finding I'm putting people away more readily and only running dry at the end of the round (Or near it). 3 tons would be ideal but the 4 ML's are my main punch so I don't want to drop in firepower. Approximate KDR is about the same (between 1.8 and 2) and damage is about 100 points higher per round.

I'm on the fence which one I like better. The continued harrassing fire from the AC2's is admittedly nice, especially in the bigger maps. The AC5's limited ammo forces me to save for closer range fights.

Anyways, two great near-stock builds, totally fun. :0 now to figure out which chassis to get next O_O

#39 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:16 PM

With the change to the Gauss Rifle my main build is pretty fubar, so I've been playing with some alternate builds.

This LB10-X build worked well for me; I had a 762 damage match in which during a conquest match in Terra Therma I was able to go toe-to-toe with an Atlas. The 225XL engine and jump jets allowed me to for the most part keep out of his main weapon crosshairs and the LB10-X got enough crits that in the end I'd destroyed all his weapons. I was able to stop, cool down, and use my medium lasers with impunity to finish him off.

This variant of the above build replaces the LB10-X and a heatsink with an AC10 for those who want a longer distance pinpoint punch. I'd recommend the LB10-X build for those who want to skirmish and the AC10 build for those who favour longer range harassment.

Edit: I've been trying some weirder builds and I think I've stumbled on one that's pretty fun to play, works well, and lasts quite long in battle (considering how you're supposed to use it). It's a Quad MPL build that uses a standard 225 engine to make the enemy mechs go through the center torso to kill you (with quad MPLs you're going to have to get close to do damage, so being harder to core helps). I've found myself brawling with mechs and doing very well, and I've found if you can get behind an assault mech unseen you can kill them pretty quickly (24 point alpha with the MPLs, plus a pair of MGs seeking crits when the internals are showing).

Edited by Ruccus, 03 September 2013 - 09:58 PM.

#40 Lmxar

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 43 posts
  • LocationGulf Coast, USA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:59 PM

I have been having a whole lot of fun with this build.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e964d9fd474660c

Use the JJ's to jump around, and always keep mobile. The XL235 in addition to the JJ's help to re-position and get away from most enemies. I use PPC as group 1, and ERPPC as group 2, with MLs as group 3. If an enemy is within your PPC min and max range, make sure that you use the PPC and not the ERPPC to avoid excessive heat (especially since the PPC nerf). If an enemy is outside of your PPC range and you want to save some heat buildup, whack him with the ERPPC. You can use both PPC/ERPPC if you are using terrain and your high weapon placement to your advantage to poptart/peek over a ridge then fall back down, since you can just wait for heat to go down if you need to. The MLs are a nice addition for anything that gets too close, or for alphas when the target is within 375ish meters.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users