116 replies to this topic

#101 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:27 PM

Per October 15th patch streak bug fixed.

#102 Vebjorn Ingarson

Rookie

• The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:42 PM

I have two blackjack builds that I love (I am sorry if I am posting build that are already in this thread) one for the
BJ-1DC (my first mech) and the other for the BJ-1 (my favorite)

BJ-1DC |XL235| AC/20 + 4ML
This build is good for cold maps, and maps with buildings/cover, but you can run it on any map if you are carefull.
Firegroups 1. AC/20 2. Right ML 3. Left ML 4. Chainfire all ML 5. All ML

This BJ-1DC build saw the light of day, when I wanted to make a build I could not replicate in my BJ-1.

BJ-1 |XL225| Gauss Rifle + 4ML
Good one any map, cold, hot, small, large it can do it all. This build is a true jack of all trades, but it is a bit squishy, so watch out.
Firegroups 1. Gauss Rifle 2. Arm ML 3. Body ML 4. Chainfire all ML 5. All ML 6.Gauss Again

The Ballistic Blackjacks are probably my favorite mediums along with the Shadowhawks.

Again, I am sorry I someone else has already posted builds that are similar or identical to these before.

Edited by Caniex, 17 October 2013 - 12:01 AM.

#103 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:46 AM

View PostCaniex, on 16 October 2013 - 11:42 PM, said:

I have two blackjack builds that I love

Those are very popular build, with minor variation depending on a player's game style.
Here are my 3 Blackjack builds:
Gaussjack
I use a BJ1 for this build so I can install jump jets, and use them to get into sniping position. The GR is also interchangeable with a LBX10 or AC/20 when I feel like playing up close, the jump jet provide extra maneuverability in brawl.

Minidakka
This is my mini jager, with dual AC/2 and 6 ton of ammo and 6 Small Lazer.
Have to constantly relocate to avoid lights and LRM counter, used to carry an AMS but I got familiar enough with this ride to trade it for ammo.
The SLaz are for when a light caught me or when I run out of ammo in late game.
Get an Adv. Zoom module and spam that mouse button until my finger is cramped.

Breadknife 3.0
This build has gone through many revision and finally settle on this load out.
Used to be a 4 Large Lazer spammer before heat penalty was introduced, now a support/sniper energy boat. Having only enough speed to keep pace with heavy or assault mech and help focus fire on their targets.

#104 Takony

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 265 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:14 PM

Writing from phone so no smurfy, but here's my 2 favs.
BJ-1 AC20 3 ML 1JJ 235 xl 10 dhs endo 4t ammo.
BJ-1X 2 LL 4 ML all in arms 280 xl 15dhs endo full armor xcept 43/44 on legs on both builds.

Since all weapons suck except AC20 and dps builds with ac5 uac5, the first one got an indirect buff. The second is a variation of the 8 ML one, hot but 2 LL 4 ML gives no ghost heat penalty and you even have more range. No ml in torso so better aim as well.

I bought my BJs recently after seeing how Kintaro Shadow Hawk was horribly badly scaled being too tall for a medium. Wolverine Griffin will be bad as well if we can trust Russ Bull9cks stupid tweet '55 ton size' my *** rather Highlander sized Shaq Hawk. Black Jack is nice small profile high mounted arms for peek shooting, so if you are patient and pllay smartly with good aim, it's fun and a good sport.

#105 RavensScar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 219 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:59 PM

View PostHeavenly Angel, on 14 October 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

The 1x can be tough to survive in but in those games where nobody focuses you it's magical.

http://i.imgur.com/fTVK80Z.jpg

6mpl, 17 dhs

915 damage, and only 2 kills, 2 assists? :P

Edited by RavensScar, 26 October 2013 - 02:00 PM.

#106 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:01 PM

View PostRavensScar, on 26 October 2013 - 01:59 PM, said:

915 damage, and only 2 kills, 2 assists? :P

I suspect his 2 kills might have been against heavy and/or assault mechs. In the 762 damage match with an LB10-X build that I mentioned earlier in this thread I had 2 kills and I think 1 or 2 assists simply because I didn't run into many mechs. The vast majority of my damage was 1v1 versus a Centurion then 1v1 versus an Atlas. I must've pumped 30 or so LB10-X shots into the Atlas (plus lots of ML damage) to get 1 kill.

By the time I'd killed the Atlas my teammates had finished off most of the other mechs (Conquest match and I was capping) so we hunted down the remaining mechs and was able to get off some potshots for the assist.

#107 Heavenly Angel

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 89 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:35 PM

View PostRavensScar, on 26 October 2013 - 01:59 PM, said:

915 damage, and only 2 kills, 2 assists? :)

Soloed a cataphract and jager before having a long drawn out duel with the surviving stalker.

#108 Whiteagle

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:54 PM

View Postxengk, on 17 October 2013 - 02:46 AM, said:

Minidakka
This is my mini jager, with dual AC/2 and 6 ton of ammo and 6 Small Lazer.
Have to constantly relocate to avoid lights and LRM counter, used to carry an AMS but I got familiar enough with this ride to trade it for ammo.
The SLaz are for when a light caught me or when I run out of ammo in late game.
Get an Adv. Zoom module and spam that mouse button until my finger is cramped.

Muh Buddy!
Here my Sniperjack, I traded some leg armor and the Arm SL for ML and an AMS...
Put the biggest XL Engine I could on it, but I'm wondering if I should go back down to regular...

Edited by Whiteagle, 14 April 2014 - 07:55 PM.

#109 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:27 AM

View PostWhiteagle, on 14 April 2014 - 07:54 PM, said:

Muh Buddy!
Here my Sniperjack, I traded some leg armor and the Arm SL for ML and an AMS...
Put the biggest XL Engine I could on it, but I'm wondering if I should go back down to regular...

the only BJ that you should even consider running an STD engine in is the BJ-3 with an all-ML build. any other variant just doesn't have the tonnage to spare.

#110 Whiteagle

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:43 PM

View PostInflatable Fish, on 15 April 2014 - 10:27 AM, said:

the only BJ that you should even consider running an STD engine in is the BJ-3 with an all-ML build. any other variant just doesn't have the tonnage to spare.

But I have a ten and a half ton XL engine in the thing...
Ironically, with that 235 XL and my tendancy to back armor, she works pretty good as Bait Mech...

#111 ThatBum42

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 220 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:51 PM

DakkaJack

Pretty versatile, but not very durable. The chassis isn't really designed for direct engagements and is better for fire support while the brawlers are occupying the enemy.

For a while I had the medium lasers in the side torsos, but I realized that the high, tiny arms were rarely shot off (unless you torso twist a lot, which is a bad idea with this chassis similar to the Jager), so I put them in there for effectiveness with differences in elevation to the target.

#112 Bene Gesserit

• Pip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:22 PM

Here is how i run my BJ-3: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5ef8df001ec0d36

I drop with two weapon groups:
  • The Pusle laser group (2mpls, lpl)
  • The Medium laser group (3mls)
Note how all the pulse lasers are on the right side and the normal lasers are on the left side, this allows for greater heat management. I don't know how effective you would consider this build, but its tons of fun!

Edit - fixed smurfy link

Edited by Bene Gesserit, 17 April 2014 - 06:24 PM.

#113 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:58 PM

View PostInflatable Fish, on 15 April 2014 - 10:27 AM, said:

I'm just going to flat out disagree. For all that people LUUUUURVE the AC/20 (and I don't take any issue with that), the Blackjack loses a lot of durability to an XL engine- particularly from the rear, as the side torsos are HUEG (check it on the hitboxes thread, the center torso doesn't even reach more than halfway up the thing's back, and on the front the side torsos take up like 3/4 of the width).

I run the MWO:Mechlab - BJ-1 Truncheon as a fun alternative to the AC/20 Slapjack. No, it's not going to be messing much of anything up on its own. But it's got plenty of shots in it, enough jump jets to make most reasonable leaps, survives torso loss, has CASE, and will -ruin- anything it finds after someone else has been shooting it. During Medium Vs. The World, when Waterbear was up at 4th Cicada, I wrecked his ride after someone else blew my autocannon arm off, just by leveraging my jumping and durability. And he had at worst yellow armor anywhere on his 'mech before we got into our scrum.

For the BJ-3, I'm absolutely in love with the MWO:Mechlab - BJ-3 Sap. So long as you remember to fire the ER Larges SEPARATELY from the Mediums (and I do mean separately- if you're in medium laser range, ignore the ER LLs, and if you're at longer range, ignore the Mediums. Only exception is if something MUST DIE NOW in order for you to stay alive.) this thing makes an amazing hillcrest sniper with good close combat capability.

I've always had standard engines in my Blackjacks, and I've never regretted it either. I run 225 standard engines too, so I get plenty of speed in- the difference between 89.1 kph and 93.1 Kph is just not worth that loss in durability to the Blackjack's massive side torsos. Winning duels with Victors feels good.

Edited by Quickdraw Crobat, 18 April 2014 - 07:35 AM.

#114 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:06 AM

View PostQuickdraw Crobat, on 17 April 2014 - 06:58 PM, said:

I'm just going to flat out disagree. For all that people LUUUUURVE the AC/20 (and I don't take any issue with that), the Blackjack loses a lot of durability to an XL engine- particularly from the rear, as the side torsos are HUEG (check it on the hitboxes thread, the center torso doesn't even reach more than halfway up the thing's back, and on the front the side torsos take up like 3/4 of the width).

I'd say I'm kind of 'middle of the road' between your's and Fish's opinions regarding standard engines in a Blackjack. I believe that the disadvantages in running an XL engine are lesser in a Blackjack than in many other mechs, but because the standard engines going in to a Blackjack aren't that much heavier than an XL you can build a potent Blackjack that uses a standard engine.

My suggestion is that you can take most XL225 or XL235 builds and simply drop a standard 180 right in and only have to sacrifice one more tonne (a heatsink or a ton of ammo) if replacing a 225XL or a half a tonne (one jump jet or 16 points of armour) if replacing a 235XL.

Using a standard 180 will slow the mech down to 71.3kph with speed tweak, but that speed is usually fine when acting as a wingman for a heavy or assault mech teammate. Here's my normal AC20 Blackjack build and here's my Standard engine version. Not much difference, and the Standard engine version is a great little wingman that can put up solid damage while being harder to kill (especially if it's spending its time near a larger, more powerful mech).

If you need to be able to go around 90kph then an XL engine gives you around five more tonnes to play with and that can be a significant advantage, but Standard engines do have some merit in the Blackjack especially if you intend to shadow a heavier mech and aid them during the battle. My Standard 180 engine AC20 build above is a great option for those players who don't have much cash and want their Blackjack to make them some credits to earn enough for an XL engine - the slower top speed forces you to stay with your heavier mech teammates and the AC20 is a fearsome weapon.

All that being said, I usually run an XL engine in my Blackjack because I feel the speed and weight savings is worth it. For those without the cash for an XL engine, there are still very serviceable standard engine Blackjack builds.

#115 RushOutlaw

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:12 AM

AC20 & 2 ML & 1MG

Rips things up nice and good!!

#116 kesuga7

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:32 PM

This could still be viable with single heatsinks correct?

1 medium laser - 1 small laser - 2 AC 5 - 150 AC 5 ammo - 1 jumpjet - XL 235 - 93.1 kph - 286 armour
you could take out the small laser for a half tonn of armour
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e6c6f5aa5b35dfa

anyway here is the doubleheatsink version with 1 medium laser but with XL 225 and no ferro
XL 225 - 288 armour - 89.1 kph - 1 medium laser - 1 jumpjet - 2 AC 5 - 150 AC 5 ammo
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b2dbe8ac634d5c6

#117 Rattler85

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 272 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:23 PM

My BJ3 has 2erLL, 4 ML, dhs(7 outside of engine), endo-steel, ferro-fibrous armor, 4 JJs and a standard 195 engine (I want to get the speed up to aroudn 80kph with and XL).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users