3Ppc+Gauss

48 replies to this topic

#1 AntiCitizenJuan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

PGI hasnt said anything about this combo, which has been plaguing the game since the Highlander came out.
Think we're going to get some kind of fix for this braindead super-alpha?

Or are we going to have to wait 3 months.

#2 Doctor Smiley

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 101 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Between Heaven And Hell

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:35 AM

as a Pilot of Multiple Highlander builds and a HM it makes me cry when I see those builds...

#3 Unbound Inferno

• 1,168 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:36 AM

Indefinitely. There' actually a stock mech that have that build.

The problem is with its convergence and damage scaling by the alphastrike effect. Until that is solved, we are stuck with it.

#4 PEEFsmash

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:43 AM

View PostAntiCitizenJuan, on 09 July 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

PGI hasnt said anything about this combo, which has been plaguing the game since the Highlander came out.
Think we're going to get some kind of fix for this braindead super-alpha?

Or are we going to have to wait 3 months.

That combo isn't the problem. The problem is that there is nothing as good as it when there damn-well should be. We should have high DPS brawler builds that can totally overrun snipers once they get into brawling range. 2.5 srm damage, decreased laser heat, and better LBX would allow brawlers to have DPS's 3x more than the DPS of snipers. Right now, sniper and brawler DPS is basically the same, which is crazy, because snipers can hand out that DPS from 800m.

Convergence isn't the problem, PPCs could use a bit more heat to lower their DPS and a bit slower projectile, and Gauss isn't the problem. The problem is a lack of brawler DPS, and a lack of light and medium mobility. Once brawling gets buffed to where it belongs, the PPC+Gauss build will be a support build as it should be, and you wouldn't be able to run 8 of them and beat all other possible teams.

#5 AntiCitizenJuan

• 1,440 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

RS' and Misery's are going to switch to this if they havent already.
Stalkers will switch to 3PPC 3ML 4 SSRM which is actually more well rounded and better than 4PPC
AC/40s will still be around

******* Hardpoint Restrictions would be nice.

#6 Doctor Smiley

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 101 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Between Heaven And Hell

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

View PostAntiCitizenJuan, on 09 July 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

RS' and Misery's are going to switch to this if they havent already.
Stalkers will switch to 3PPC 3ML 4 SSRM which is actually more well rounded and better than 4PPC
AC/40s will still be around

******* Hardpoint Restrictions would be nice.

Agree with Hard point restrictions

#7 Homeless Bill

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:51 AM

View PostPEEFsmash, on 09 July 2013 - 11:43 AM, said:

[Fix brawling]

I agree to an extent, but I really don't like the pacing of the game at all right now. I don't want to melt a Stalker with three volleys of SRMs just because he can melt me in three volleys of PPCs. I'd much rather the one-click wonder ******** went away in favor of a more aim- and maneuvering-oriented game.

That said, buffing SRMs are the biggest easy win they have right now. Though I'm not so sure I'd like the pacing, I'd be much happier about diversity on the battlefield. I'd rather have everything equally overpowered than only half of it.

#8 kesuga7

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

May we pray to russ that the tyranny of ppc+gauss come to a end!

May the ac 40 jaggers be abolished !

May there be hardpoint restrictionsss!!

Let our patch prayers come true upon tuesdayyyy?!?! :P

please.. ;)

Im not disappointing the builds themselves im just disappointed how the community migrates from one 'optimal' build to another

Raven 3l - Splatkats - Lrm's - Poptarts - Ac 40 jagger's - PPC

whats gonna stop 90 alpha catapults from coming back if srm is buffed back to 2.5? :lol:

#9 AntiCitizenJuan

• 1,440 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:08 PM

View Postkesuga7, on 09 July 2013 - 11:59 AM, said:

whats gonna stop 90 alpha catapults from coming back if srm is buffed back to 2.5? :P

Hence the need for greater control and restrictions

#10 PEEFsmash

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

View PostHomeless Bill, on 09 July 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

I agree to an extent, but I really don't like the pacing of the game at all right now. I don't want to melt a Stalker with three volleys of SRMs just because he can melt me in three volleys of PPCs. I'd much rather the one-click wonder ******** went away in favor of a more aim- and maneuvering-oriented game.

That said, buffing SRMs are the biggest easy win they have right now. Though I'm not so sure I'd like the pacing, I'd be much happier about diversity on the battlefield. I'd rather have everything equally overpowered than only half of it.

Increase max armor of all mechs? Double it? Triple it? Even more for lights and meds because they need it?

[color="#959595"]

[/color]whats gonna stop 90 alpha catapults from coming back if srm is buffed back to 2.5?

90 point alpha spread over a whole mech isn't going to 1-shot anything. However, the whole point with brawlers having huge DPS is that if they can get into brawling range, they dominate. That's great! That's what we need! Otherwise, there is no disadvantage to taking snipers because they have just as much DPS. Brawlers need more DPS so that, once they close the distance and get past all of the sniping, they can dominate. They need to dominate. If you let a splatcat within 200 meters, prepare to feel pain as you should!

Edited by PEEFsmash, 09 July 2013 - 12:17 PM.

#11 mike29tw

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:11 PM

May we pray to ppc+gauss that the tyranny of _ _ _ _ come to a end!

FTFY

whats gonna stop 90 alpha catapults from coming back if srm is buffed back to 2.5? :P

By buffing it to 2.0.

#12 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:21 PM

That's not a very fun build, but what else would you put on it? Worthless LRMs? Worthless SRMs? Worthless SSRMs?

MWO has Missile paranoia bad, so you will be getting Gauss+PPC+AC20 until this changes.

If Missiles ever become a viable weapon in MWO then you would see alot of those PPCs replaced with Missiles and Lasers, until then it's PPC a-go-go.

#13 Lefty Lucy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

90 alpha catapults were a problem because of SRM firing pattern and bugged splash damage artificially multiplying it so they did *more* than 90 damage. With the current SRM spread pattern the 90 damage alpha will be fine because it will be spread all over the target mech.

#14 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:24 PM

Working as Intended™

#15 kesuga7

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:25 PM

(nothing personal)i remember guys defending splatkats back in the days (even then its not all about one shoting people )

honestly to me it still felt like i was being 1 or 2 shotedback in the day and just because they got within range of my mech (also a brawler) doesn't mean i should get annihilated most of the time :\

even then im guessing that alpha is still going to be around 65+ and that is pretty lethal even if it is splashing

#16 PEEFsmash

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

View Postkesuga7, on 09 July 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

(nothing personal)i remember guys defending splatkats back in the days (even then its not all about one shoting people )

honestly to me it still felt like i was being 1 or 2 shotedback in the day and just because they got within range of my mech (also a brawler) doesn't mean i should get annihilated most of the time :\

even then im guessing that alpha is still going to be around 65+ and that is pretty lethal even if it is splashing

As was just pointed out above, SRMs were not just doing 2.5 damage, they were doing sometimes 7-8 times that much because of splash damage bug. Having them at 2.5 wont result in assualts getting 2 shotted.

#17 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

View PostPEEFsmash, on 09 July 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

Increase max armor of all mechs? Double it? Triple it? Even more for lights and meds because they need it?

[font="HelveticaNeue-Light, Helvetica Neue Light, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif"][color="#959595"]

90 point alpha spread over a whole mech isn't going to 1-shot anything. However, the whole point with brawlers having huge DPS is that if they can get into brawling range, they dominate. That's great! That's what we need! Otherwise, there is no disadvantage to taking snipers because they have just as much DPS. Brawlers need more DPS so that, once they close the distance and get past all of the sniping, they can dominate. They need to dominate. If you let a splatcat within 200 meters, prepare to feel pain as you should![/size]

In MechWarrior the Map dictates what works best. That is the big balancing element. You can always try to work a short-range rush on a long range open map, but you will likely get yer butt shot off. Meanwhile short-range in a city or narrow canyon will always win. Even now this is so. MechWarrior map range/heat tactics will make Mechlab very important when we know what map we are going too.

#18 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:33 PM

#FixPPCHeat

#19 Dexion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationWestern Ma.

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:33 PM

Am I the only one wondering why "Long Range/High Damage Weapon, Long recycle time (and therefor low DPS)" hasn't been implemented?

I can't help but think that if Gauss and ER PPC had 6-7 second cooldowns (Hell, even 10 seconds), they would STILL be the premier sniping weapons, but no-one in there right mind would want to depend on them in a brawl (even against the lack luster brawling weapons we have now).

Heck, that would even give the AC10 a niche to fill (Moderate range/Moderate DPS/Moderate Alpha).

#20 kesuga7

• 1,022 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:34 PM

View PostPEEFsmash, on 09 July 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

As was just pointed out above, SRMs were not just doing 2.5 damage, they were doing sometimes 7-8 times that much because of splash damage bug. Having them at 2.5 wont result in assualts getting 2 shotted.

yea i know about the Srm bug but to me it seems like that build is still going to be strong
even if it isn't the wacky amount of damage they were doing before whats to stop a streak catapult with bap chasing down lights and mediums

it shouldn't destroy other brawlers completely at the same time though as in maximizing close range capability to destroy any would be snipers including other brawlers (then again mediums need a buff :\ )

or in other words splatkats are going to dominate lights-mediums while also posing a threat to -heavies and assaults , snipers or not (okay maybe not dominate :P but still )

sadly even with a srm buff its going to maximize a single variant more than others

such as this PPC+gauss highlander with the current ppc's

Edited by kesuga7, 09 July 2013 - 12:38 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users