Gameplay - Heat Scale Addition

461 replies to this topic

#141 MasterErrant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

what I think is that it is another non fix. I think that I waited for another Battletech/mechwarrior game. for years. and that you should have scrapped the mech system and started from scratch while keeping the style rather than cherrypicking parts of the system while trashing the most important parts of game balance.

I think that the game is flat and one dimensional and dominated be
FPS minimaxers who'll run to the next hot game rather than the BT junkins who will stay for years.

I think that you need to rething Weapon ROF and put in a modified version of the core heat system
and I think that we (The paying players) have put in nough money to get a good playable product

other that the heat system and some glaring weapon buffs and nerfs that I still don't understand...(The ac2 being in the top three damage weapons in the game for example)
And the lack of depth in game play (Understandable in the prelaunch stage.

the only other problem is convergence/precision targerting. Not that it can be done...but the number of weapons that it can be done with.

everything else is just polish.

#142 Kamchak

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

The multiplier?? Is it or isn't it a multiplier? Maybe if the devs spent less time trying to write "entertaining" patch notes and concentrated more on content we players would respect them more.

Come on guys!!! Hire a writer. Maybe someone with experience writing understandable rulebooks. I still cringe every time I read the "tips" as the game loads. Some basic writing skills would go a long way.

Edited by Kamchak, 16 July 2013 - 03:07 PM.

#143 Squid von Torgar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 819 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

Yes I volunteer. I have experience in writing understandable documents regarding complex issues. Let me do it, you can pay me in MC. Just give me the actual facts and Ill make em look wonderful.

Provided you have some facts....

#144 Meridian

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:13 PM

View PostJackAttack5, on 16 July 2013 - 02:19 PM, said:

Hopefully broken rather than just poorly designed.

PGI's motto?

#145 SirWill

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

I think that the two ac 20 alpha strike penalty is way out of scope. 24 points compared to other weapons? Really. My Jager is fairly solid heat wise not any more. I alpha striked twice and my heat shot up past 80%+ heat. And why the heck at LRM 20's not on the list, but LRM 15's are? (I don't really see where alpha striking with missile even make a difference) If you want to slow done the games and make things harder then raise the heat generated be each weapon and that will taper off the Alpha strikes. Please kill this system of thinking asap!!!!

#146 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:16 PM

View PostMeridian, on 16 July 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

PGI's motto?

sadly there's more trolls here than useful constructive feedback. all I see is tons of whining, no data or facts to back it up, and on the field...miracle of miracles, no more 6 ppc stalkers firing,shutdown, firing,shutdown,firing...

yeah, PGI really sucks.

get real people.

View PostSirWill, on 16 July 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

I think that the two ac 20 alpha strike penalty is way out of scope. 24 points compared to other weapons? Really. My Jager is fairly solid heat wise not any more. I alpha striked twice and my heat shot up past 80%+ heat. And why the heck at LRM 20's not on the list, but LRM 15's are? (I don't really see where alpha striking with missile even make a difference) If you want to slow done the games and make things harder then raise the heat generated be each weapon and that will taper off the Alpha strikes. Please kill this system of thinking asap!!!!

use chain fire.

why must you all insist on alphaing everything? do you all have 1 button mice?

#147 8RoundsRapid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 301 posts
  • Locationupriver

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

Heat scale has got to be one of the stupidest ideas you've guys have come up with to date.

And that's saying something.

You guys are butchering the BT/MW IP by adding these complex solutions that confuse and do not bring about the changes we want. ECM, BAP, pin point alpha, coolshot, 3pv, lack of any real progress on your actual game, selling overpriced packages, splash damage on missiles, narc, seismic sensors, mech scale is fubar, the list goes on...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: there are millions - MILLIONS! - of loyal battletech and mechwarrior fans in this world that know this IP in and out, and have been playing it for over 20 years. And you guys can only get a few thousand of them to play this game?

Maybe its time you guys started listening to others instead of being stubborn, cocksure, arrogant, unprofessional, defensive little *******. I'm sorry for the bad language and the overall negative tone of this post, but it really burns me up watching one of my favorite games go **** up (one that i've waited for forever) because you little turds won't grow the **** up and accept help from others that know better than yourselves.

#148 Meridian

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 16 July 2013 - 03:16 PM, said:

sadly there's more trolls here than useful constructive feedback. all I see is tons of whining, no data or facts to back it up, and on the field...miracle of miracles, no more 6 ppc stalkers firing,shutdown, firing,shutdown,firing...

yeah, PGI really sucks.

get real people.

use chain fire.

why must you all insist on alphaing everything? do you all have 1 button mice?

Nice assumption. Based on...oh, right, nothing.

Mine was a comment on their addressing anything but the actual problem. Over and over and over .

Sucks? I don't know. But lacking basic competence? Absolutely.

#149 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:24 PM

View PostMeridian, on 16 July 2013 - 03:21 PM, said:

Nice assumption. Based on...oh, right, nothing.

Mine was a comment on their addressing anything but the actual problem. Over and over and over .

Sucks? I don't know. But lacking basic competence? Absolutely.

How about you tell PGI how it could all be designed so much better then, instead of telling them how much they suck while you keep playing their game.

#150 XM15

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:25 PM

Sooooo......players are now penalized for getting close to an enemy and alfa striking it? That is just dumb. I am personally one who tries to avoid that close a combat, but I do try and stay with 500 meters. This patch sounds like an "appease the whiners" patch in that respect. I can understand the taking damage at 100% heat, but penalizing players for using all their weapons at once, just dumb.

LRM'ers heaven is what this is becoming.

I guess we will be seeing even more LRM'ers roaming the battlefield, that just takes more enjoyment away from the game.

#151 SirWill

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:26 PM

If you not what so many Alpha Strikes then why did you add the coolant system addons? Seem Like that would be the first thing I would remove. But you wont because it generates money. And It would not surprise me to see their use further encouraged.

#152 Mr Andersson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 217 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:28 PM

The heat penalties seems a bit inconsistent to me, like they just drew numbers out of a bag.

Putting a penalty on PPCs, I understand. The PPC-boats running around in increasing numbers are a bit OP. No question there.

But setting the limit on 2 for large lasers? Sure, 5LL stalkers are lethal mechs in the hands of the right pilot, but are they OP? Not in my opinion. A limit on 4 seems more appropriate.

Why are LRM15 penalized and not the other LRM systems?

And the extreme penalty to AC/20? I agree that the AC/40 jagermechs are annoying when they come close, but they are also completely worthless at long (or even medium) ranges, and they are easy to kill.

#153 BookWyrm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Menig Første Klasse
  • Menig Første Klasse
  • 365 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:31 PM

With the new heat scale additions weapon loadouts have not changed, at all. High alpha pinpoint damage is still desirable. AC40 and PPC boat configurations still roam the streets and can take you down before they overheat. The only one's punished are the one's that can't aim well.

Edited by BookWyrm, 16 July 2013 - 03:33 PM.

#154 Phreon

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:36 PM

I really dislike this system. I find it both unintuitive and completely alien to any pre-existing mechanism from other games in either the Battletech or Mechwarrior series. It seems like a bizzarely convoluted attempt to "fix" balance without actually balancing other weapon types to be useful. While weapons are in need of balancing (and to throw some praise in, thanks for the SRM buff!) this isn't a balance as much as it is an across the board nerf on everything except the Gauss Rifle.

This also breaks future stock builds such as the Masakari. This system completely misses the point when it comes to discouraging boating. If certain weapons are too efficient and over used as a result, make other weapons better to provide options and more diverse play styles. This kind of duct-tape fix just passes the crown from PPCs to the Gauss Rifle instead. The fact it has broken builds that weren't a problem before (Dual AC20 Jagermech, Hunchback) is just stupefying.

I just bought the Phoenix overlord pack last night and with this patch drop I'm increasingly getting the feeling I may not be playing when the goodies begin to get released if this is the direction taken.

#155 Aerik Lornes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationAlshain , December 31st, 3078

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:37 PM

You should be thanking your artists and visual designers like Alex/FD, because without them I wouldn't keep putting up with the farce that is game design here. This game is still fun, but it's despite your best efforts at game design. You have yet to break enough parts of the game to make watching cool looking mechs tear into each other completely unfun.

I'd show some math here, but I (and many others) have tried and there are tons of examples out there you have obviously ignored already.

#156 Cest7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationMaple Ditch

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:38 PM

2 LL is too much of a penalty. LL scale should start at 4

#157 LackofCertainty

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:47 PM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 16 July 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

View PostGulinborsti, on 16 July 2013 - 10:17 AM, said:

No mech is intended to fire 3+ PPCs or 7+ MLs at the same time ... without punishment
Ever heard of the concept of chain firing your weapons or distribute them to separate weapon groups ?

Thats actually not true ...

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hellstar (ERPPC)
http://www.sarna.net...ne_%28Kraken%29 (UAC2)
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Kodiak (ERML)
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Thunder_Hawk (Gauss)

And these are just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more.

Hellstar:
Clan Mech (That's like bringing a motorcycle to a bicycle race)
Kraken:
1. There's no limits on AC2's, so this mech wouldn't be affected by the changes.
2. This mech doesn't mount PPC's or ML's so it's not really relevant to Gulinborsti's post.
3. Clan Mech. (technically Star league, but it says it was never put into production till the clans did their thing)
Kodiak:
Clan Mech (also, it's probably not going to constantly fire it's 8 ERML's, because if it did it couldn't fire it's other weaponry every round)
Thunder Hawk:
1. There's no limit on Gauss Rifles, so this mech wouldn't be affected by the changes.
2. This mech doesn't mount PPC's or ML's so it's not really relevant to Gulinborsti's post.
3. Clan Mech (starting to sound like a broken record)

It's not an ideal solution, but as long as you can chain-fire stuff without being affected, I think it's fine.

#158 Adran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 166 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:48 PM

View PostH1veM1nd, on 16 July 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

I'd still like an explanation of where this multiplier is actually being utilized.

2 PPC alpha with 10DHS in normal weather generated 30% heat (16 heat / 55 heat capacity is roughly 30%).
3 PPC alpha with the same mech reached 67% heat. 67% x 55 = 36.85 heat produced

Try and make a factor or addition of 7 work anywhere into those maths.

You state "normal weather", but not which map you're on. You also don't state moving/staying still. Thus, I can only conclude the additional heat came from the map, or you moved at some point.

#159 Tetatae Squawkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,028 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Kaetetôã

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:53 PM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 16 July 2013 - 03:24 PM, said:

How about you tell PGI how it could all be designed so much better then, instead of telling them how much they suck while you keep playing their game.

Yes. No one here has made articulate and lengthy pleas with PGI about various mechanics only to be ignored in favor of throwing darts at a poster in Paul's office.

#160 GaussDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:16 PM

How about you turn this thread into a poll and see how badly this idea gets **** on? That should make things pretty clear pretty fast in case there was any lingering uncertainty.

Edited by GaussDragon, 16 July 2013 - 04:17 PM.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users