79 replies to this topic

#41 Rift Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 532 posts
  • LocationThe moon

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:14 AM

To be honest, I don't think we are ever going to see clans. Judging from what is going on right now....

We have the Pheonix Package, Sabre Package, Heros coming out before the standard variants now. The standard variants released for MC before Cbills....

Seems to me that PGI is making one last big cash grab.

I doubt the game will be here long enough to see Clans or CW released.

Thats just my opinion. I'm sure some of you lifers will argue it to the death. Proceed.

#42 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:39 AM

View PostImperial X, on 05 September 2013 - 09:14 AM, said:

To be honest, I don't think we are ever going to see clans. Judging from what is going on right now....

We have the Pheonix Package, Sabre Package, Heros coming out before the standard variants now. The standard variants released for MC before Cbills....

Thats just my opinion. I'm sure some of you lifers will argue it to the death. Proceed.

PGI will make money with a Clan pack. PGI (or maybe IGP?) likes to do quick cash-grabbing hero 'mechs and similar stuff, so PGI will keep making packs until we all shall fall. Seyla.

Edited by CyclonerM, 05 September 2013 - 10:39 AM.

#43 Dragunz Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:03 AM

I honestly do not care when clans are introduced, i am however concerned to what happens to those of us who purchased founders packages, who purchased hero mechs, who purchased phoenix packages ... etc. What i want to know is what happens to all this IS equipment i have now. I will be in the Clan Jade Falcon, no doubt about it, but what then happens to what i currently have. Am i going to have to create a new CH and start from scratch?? I cannot find any listings addressing this. I love this game so far, and the game-play is solid, however i don't want to keep spending money now if it is all for naught if i want to go clan when they are available. Any feedback on this would be appreciated, thanks!

#44 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:32 AM

Just aint gonna happen, vaporware just like community warfare.
In this COD format game just more IS mechs with more maps maybe.
The Clans are just too big of a monkey wrench for PGI to deal with.
Don't get me wrong would love to see them, but why use a Catapult whenyou can take a Madcat?
But they'll keep dangling that clan carrot in front off us just like community warfare.
I for one am dismayed.

#45 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:33 AM

View PostImperial X, on 05 September 2013 - 09:14 AM, said:

Actually I would call it a good business model. I think a lot of people are all huffing and puffing like a big bad wolf and not realizing the game is still growing, developing and it is not dying out like some vocal people who want it their way and stamp their feet in the forums about it think. They are realizing that people are willing to buy a hero mech before the free mechs are there. Their pay model has always been pay for easier/quicker access. This is the same model. Get the hero mech. Get a MC variant to start grinding if you have the spare change and want to, or if you are a cheap QQer, OR honestly cannot afford the spare to help support a game you love, you get to buy it with CBills a patch later.

Clans will comes. We do not know HOW they will come, but they will come. Ekman NGNG Podcast has PGI considering resetting the timeline once CW phase III is out and we can do the Invasion CW like and 'tell the great story'

I have no worries about 3pv. It does not give anyone anything special without giving them away. It takes away a lot of aspects that are vital for advanced play. As UI 2.0 comes out and the tutorials get finished people will be told, and learn that 3pv is to look at your sexy mech or get an idea of how to play when you are new. True Mechwarriors fight from inside their cockpit, in 1PV. :)

#46 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:08 PM

Most recently, the words from Bryan Eckman is that the Clans will not be what the BT fiction and TT rules portrayed:

quote "We're not going to make the same mistake." - BE

I sincerely believe that without proper canon Clans, et al, PGI's CW introduction of the Clans will be the death knell for MW:O's longevity.

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 10 September 2013 - 02:10 PM.

#47 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:26 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 10 September 2013 - 02:08 PM, said:

Most recently, the words from Bryan Eckman is that the Clans will not be what the BT fiction and TT rules portrayed:

quote "We're not going to make the same mistake." - BE

I sincerely believe that without proper canon Clans, et al, PGI's CW introduction of the Clans will be the death knell for MW:O's longevity.

Great Kerensky's Ghost just who are the Clans suppose be now the Klumps?
Oh I can see it now Clan Cletus anyone?
BE has got to go.

#48 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:51 PM

They also talked about how they will have EXP based 'levels' and that these levels will open up faction requriments iirc. So they could easily have it level 20 or something fairly high to maintain that a higher skill level based player base are the ones who access the Clans. Giving the Clans the average 'skill' bonus in matches, with only slightly improved tech. LRMs already go 1000m. Maybe Clan LRMs will fire 1200m, do .5 more damage for 1 more heat.

There are a few options. I still am waiting to see how PGI does the Clans before I bring pitch forks out.

#49 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:59 PM

View PostCoffiNail, on 10 September 2013 - 02:51 PM, said:

There are a few options. I still am waiting to see how PGI does the Clans before I bring pitch forks out.

Ditto. Let's see how great a fan the PGI folks are.

#50 Rift Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 532 posts
  • LocationThe moon

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:34 AM

View PostCoffiNail, on 10 September 2013 - 02:51 PM, said:

They also talked about how they will have EXP based 'levels' and that these levels will open up faction requriments iirc. So they could easily have it level 20 or something fairly high to maintain that a higher skill level based player base are the ones who access the Clans. Giving the Clans the average 'skill' bonus in matches, with only slightly improved tech. LRMs already go 1000m. Maybe Clan LRMs will fire 1200m, do .5 more damage for 1 more heat.

The model you suggest for Clan LRMs is flawed IF you consider what clan weapons are supposed to be. Clan weapons did more damage, had more range and were more heat efficient. Not less heat efficient. In the name of balance, they need to release Clan mechs without Clan weapons. The mechs can be easily balanced. The weapons can't. You can balance a Warhawk or a Loki just like any other mech in the game but there is NO WAY to balance a SSRM 6. People always post that ECM is the counter to such a weapon but in reality it is no counter at all. The majority of matches I'm in now, have no ecm at all and the ones that do have some dumb *** in a raven 3L who goes running off away from the team to die in the first minute of the match. I have been killed by streaks more now than I ever did before. You'll be seeing lights packed with SSRM4 and 6s and Madcats and Catapults loaded with 6 SSRM6s. The mechs will be great but if they add these weapons, I'm probably leaving this game. There is no way I can see, that these weapons will benefit gameplay at all.

#51 Mr Blonde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 175 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:35 PM

View PostTelevisor, on 30 August 2013 - 02:16 AM, said:

Does that mean the "real fun" would involve sitting around in garrisons until an in-game event triggers the breaking of the truce? Cause that's what happened after Tukayyid. Then again, if the release if the Clans triggers an influx of new players, it would probably be a good idea for them to have some time to get acquainted with the game and sharpen their skills before the invasion begins, otherwise it'll be veteran vs noob battles that make Twycross look like a party.

I don't understand how this game can be released without the clans, but then again I don't understand how they're selling DLC when the game is unfinished and some central mechanics could be changed completely by the official launch.

As for me, I've played in a few PvP matches with trial mechs and watched the instructional vids, but I don't see the point in investing in a character when I know I'm going to drop everything and join Jade Falcon as soon as it becomes possible. I don't want to play as some Inner Sphere mech pilot fighting for a faction that sounds like a phone company. I want to play as a canister-born lunatic who pilots a Timber Wolf.

Post-Tukkayid there are plenty of inter-Clan bloodbaths. It doesn't have to be Clans v IS. Of course they were still allowed to attack worlds above the truce line as well. They could set it to 3049, let the IS fight a while, and let the Clan guys go to their own Clan server and set up the invasion force by bidding and fighting each other, learning the Clan way. Then it wouldn't be just weak deathmatches where the Clan mechs always win because they always use IS tactics.

#52 NiteStride

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

View PostCoffiNail, on 10 September 2013 - 09:33 AM, said:

True Mechwarriors fight from inside their cockpit, in 1PV. :D

Seyla!

#53 Devil Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:50 PM

View PostMr Blonde, on 13 September 2013 - 04:35 PM, said:

Post-Tukkayid there are plenty of inter-Clan bloodbaths. It doesn't have to be Clans v IS. Of course they were still allowed to attack worlds above the truce line as well. They could set it to 3049, let the IS fight a while, and let the Clan guys go to their own Clan server and set up the invasion force by bidding and fighting each other, learning the Clan way. Then it wouldn't be just weak deathmatches where the Clan mechs always win because they always use IS tactics.

Unless PGI imposed a rule system to force conformation to the Clan honour system, and hierarchy, then separating the Clan and IS will have no difference to learn Clan ways. Remember this is a competitive pvp MMO, you win any means you can because that's what you're rewarded for. They will need some sweeping systems to define how to play as the clans, and systems to track and reward such behavior. That's giving PGI alot of credit, first we need to see how their going to introduce and balance the clan equipment, because that's going to make the difference on the field.

#54 Rift Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 532 posts
  • LocationThe moon

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:24 AM

View PostApostal, on 13 September 2013 - 05:50 PM, said:

Unless PGI imposed a rule system to force conformation to the Clan honour system, and hierarchy, then separating the Clan and IS will have no difference to learn Clan ways. Remember this is a competitive pvp MMO, you win any means you can because that's what you're rewarded for. They will need some sweeping systems to define how to play as the clans, and systems to track and reward such behavior. That's giving PGI alot of credit, first we need to see how their going to introduce and balance the clan equipment, because that's going to make the difference on the field.

If they are smart, there will be no Clan equipment. Just Clan Mechs. See my above post for more on my opinion on that subject. As for the rest of your statement here, I think that a lot of you have this misguided opinion that CW and Clans are going to be something they aren't. Its more than likely that CW is going to be something very basic. At least upon release. You attack here and if you win, you own it. Maybe it will even give you some passive c-bill or MC earnings. That'll probably be about it. As for Clans, its going to be a bunch of mechs. They aren't going to add trials or anything like that. Its a shooter game. Not a game where you live as a member of the Clans. Those are things for a single player Mechwarrior game. Not for an online shooter. Sorry guys but I honestly do think that your getting your hopes up.

Edited by Imperial X, 14 September 2013 - 08:25 AM.

#55 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:42 AM

Clans mech weapons nerfed to IS levels does not equal a MW/BT game - that makes it wholly something else, like heavy gears.

#56 BUDFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, UK

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:27 PM

View PostImperial X, on 14 September 2013 - 08:24 AM, said:

Sorry guys but I honestly do think that your getting your hopes up.

Sigh...(and a bit of huff also) as much as I hope you are wrong, I fear you are right.

There is SO much potential for this game, but looking back, its taken them a year and a half to officially release the game.

And if you look at the game between now and then, yes its better, but is it really that much different?

Clans and clan mechs, if they ever even are put in, I reckon its at least a year, I would guess more. I mean the house factions have been in the game since release and you cant effectivly do anything with those yet either.

They have the potential to make this game EPIC, but instead all they seem to spend their time doing is nurfing all the weapons and making hero mechs with pretty colours they charge you RL money for.

But I think your right, you shouldnt get your hopes up, and you also need to realise nothing is going to happen overnight, far from it in fact.

#57 Kabum

• PipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:50 AM

First of all think that a game needs a lot of work. Sometimes a small change or a non visible change can take many and many hours of programming. So while the critics have some foot on the matter, maybe are quite a bit too strongh.

The Clans will need time to arrive. I do not see it as a bad thing, but as good way to polish the game before they arrive. ANd YES I will like to see the soon. But I prefer to wait and have a good product.

About balancing clans and IS. Maybe the mach is 9 clans vs 12 IS who knows the system.
For the moment there are improvements evn if at low speed.

But I always try to look the glass half full...

#58 Mr Blonde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 175 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:39 AM

View PostImperial X, on 14 September 2013 - 08:24 AM, said:

If they are smart, there will be no Clan equipment. Just Clan Mechs. See my above post for more on my opinion on that subject. As for the rest of your statement here, I think that a lot of you have this misguided opinion that CW and Clans are going to be something they aren't. Its more than likely that CW is going to be something very basic. At least upon release. You attack here and if you win, you own it. Maybe it will even give you some passive c-bill or MC earnings. That'll probably be about it. As for Clans, its going to be a bunch of mechs. They aren't going to add trials or anything like that. Its a shooter game. Not a game where you live as a member of the Clans. Those are things for a single player Mechwarrior game. Not for an online shooter. Sorry guys but I honestly do think that your getting your hopes up.

I checked out a forum the other day for Smoke Jaguar recruiting. Sounds like a great time, and they do well. One thing bothered me though...they were actually bragging about their ability to focus fire and win. I understand the realities of playing in the game right now, but to brag about dezgra tactics? The SJ Alpha Galaxy? That seems odd to me. If they don't do something then Clans will do what 3PV could not. Any decent player avoids 3PV like the plague that it is. Those same players will flock to Clan tech. This could be problematic if not done well.

#59 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:47 AM

Smart Clanners have to adapt to the enemy's tactic. Otherwise he will lose (bye bye Smoke Jaguars by 3060 :rolleyes:)

#60 101011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:34 PM

So...what did PGI say about the Clans at the launch party? EDIT: Nevermind...nothing to see here, folks.

Edited by 101011, 18 September 2013 - 12:36 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users