Do You Like The New Boating Restriction System?

545 replies to this topic

Poll: Do You Like The New System (711 member(s) have cast votes)

Do You Like The New System

1. Yes (370 votes [52.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.04%

2. Voted No (341 votes [47.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.96%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#201 Rippthrough

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:07 PM

View PostDracol, on 17 July 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

Been a positive change.

Those who have switched from 3ppc Gauss to 2 ppc + erppc and Gauss now require a little additional time to cool off between shots. Time that can be used to reposition and advance.

Same with the 2ppc 2erppc stalkers. More heat, more cool time, more time to reposition.

Once the combined overheat pens hit, those people will require even more time to cool off.

All benifits to brawling IMHO.

The ER mech was the better brawler anyway.

#202 Dudeman3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 520 posts
  • LocationMom's Basement

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:11 PM

To be honest, I've always played with "well rounded" builds despite the meta so I see no difference.... they can change the heat all they want, but it wont fix boating.

untill they aim to target the real problem "pin point alpha's", then heat means nothing to well rounded or "gimped" builds.

#203 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:12 PM

View Posthammerreborn, on 17 July 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

I know right. I'm a speedy little poptart of death.

My theory was, I already die in single salvos of PPC/Guass or ac40 fire...why have armor? That could be more guns! Lol.

And no, I haven't gotten any calls for abuse, just bewilderment that you can fit 3 ERPPCs in a Jenner.

This is just awesome. that's all.

Much like this ridiculous monstrosity - CDA-3C - but actually useful.

#204 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:32 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 16 July 2013 - 04:57 PM, said:

I was never OVERLY effected by the PPC Sniper builds, even the 3 PPC+Gauss. But once again, like you, I play very casually. And I've spent about half my playing time on a $300 laptop, which did not help my ELO.

But I have seen enough to realize a problem exists.

My view point is very simple.

We are in giant freaking robots. PGI took the time to create a way to have multiple parts to destroy, which I actually think is pretty damn good.

The sad part is, when I play, I feel more like a human in a flak jacket, and most of my mech goes untouched when I play against really good players because they carve up my center torso.

I want to feel like a king of the battlefield, like mechs are supposed to be.

I don't want to worry about peeking out from cover to die 10 seconds later due to pinpoint accuracy in a system adapted from random hit locations on TT.

I think that's not a lot to ask.

So because you decided you didn't like 7 extra heat per alpha, and swapped 1 PPC for 2 SRM 6's, that means things are fixed?

I don't have wax in my ears, you don't understand what we are asking.

Nick you missed the fact that by pulling 1 PPC or the changes he made he increased the DpS an Sustainable DpS o his build.

Gauss & 3 PPC has a 11.25 DpS an a 5.51 Sustainable DpS v the auss 2 PPC and 2 6 Packs 14.75 DpS and 7.67 Sustainable DpS. So he is capable of throwing more Alpha damage with the more diverse load!

#205 MisterFiveSeven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:19 PM

Yes votes = lower the game to my level; day of patch feels better, more fun, longer match, less alpha, no more pesky jagers and stalkers (ps it might be your elo)!

No votes = pretty much no change at all in any meaningful way, who the **** even came up with this system...?

Seriously, I'm doing nothing but dropping in my x2erppc ppc gauss Misery for the rest of the month. Maybe I can kill enough people for them to realize how pointless this patch was.

And when they patch it again i'll drop the ppc and go back to my x2 erppc ac20 Misery. Rinse and repeat.

Dumb.

Oh and YAY SRM's!

Edit :: can't even run my x3 ac2 founder's hunchie, so the boat spam really isn't my fault :P

Edited by MisterFiveSeven, 17 July 2013 - 04:20 PM.

#206 subgenius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:49 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 17 July 2013 - 02:32 PM, said:

Nick you missed the fact that by pulling 1 PPC or the changes he made he increased the DpS an Sustainable DpS o his build. Gauss & 3 PPC has a 11.25 DpS an a 5.51 Sustainable DpS v the auss 2 PPC and 2 6 Packs 14.75 DpS and 7.67 Sustainable DpS. So he is capable of throwing more Alpha damage with the more diverse load!

EXACTLY! The change encourages weapon loadout diversity in a very real, mathematical sense (and will get stronger on the 30th). How we're at page 11 I'll never know...

View PostMisterFiveSeven, on 17 July 2013 - 04:19 PM, said:

Yes votes = lower the game to my level; day of patch feels better, more fun, longer match, less alpha, no more pesky jagers and stalkers (ps it might be your elo)!

No votes = pretty much no change at all in any meaningful way, who the **** even came up with this system...?

Seriously, I'm doing nothing but dropping in my x2erppc ppc gauss Misery for the rest of the month. Maybe I can kill enough people for them to realize how pointless this patch was.

And when they patch it again i'll drop the ppc and go back to my x2 erppc ac20 Misery. Rinse and repeat.

Dumb.

Oh and YAY SRM's!

Edit :: can't even run my x3 ac2 founder's hunchie, so the boat spam really isn't my fault :P

So you're a spite gamer?

Sounds like a fun way to live...

#207 Homeless Bill

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:58 PM

How did half of GD get moved to patch feedback, but this thread, which is OBVIOUSLY PATCH FEEDBACK, is left here? I've never had a problem with moderators, but this is ******* stupid. Move everything to where it belongs or let it all play out in Game Balance (I think it should all just stay here).

I thought it was some serious tinfoil hat to suggest they're just dispersing **** around the forums randomly, but I'm starting to believe it.

#208 MisterFiveSeven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:58 PM

View Postsubgenius, on 17 July 2013 - 04:49 PM, said:

So you're a spite gamer?

Sounds like a fun way to live...

No, I enjoy the game no matter what.

But what if I can enjoy it and troll you at THE SAME TIME?

Double win :P

Edited by MisterFiveSeven, 17 July 2013 - 04:59 PM.

#209 subgenius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:05 PM

View PostMisterFiveSeven, on 17 July 2013 - 04:58 PM, said:

No, I enjoy the game no matter what.

But what if I can enjoy it and troll you at THE SAME TIME?

Double win :D

Hah, whatever makes the day more interesting I guess :P

At least one of the haters has a sense of humor.

#210 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:09 PM

View Postsubgenius, on 17 July 2013 - 04:49 PM, said:

EXACTLY! The change encourages weapon loadout diversity in a very real, mathematical sense (and will get stronger on the 30th). How we're at page 11 I'll never know...

However, I am firing just as many weapons(6), delivering just as much damage(67 damage actually), but not getting penalized for it. And a Stalker with 8 weapons can Alpha for 80+ damage, again with no Penalty for the Alpha. The problem with the new system is Mind Boggling!

Centurion-A Throws 40ish damage in an alpha without a +24 heat penalty firing twice as many weapons. The issue is not with the amount of damage but what is throwing it and to me that is hypocritical.

#211 Chavette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:12 PM

1, On what reason did they lock t he first ones for?

2, Does it work with 2 ER LLaser and 2 LLaser?

#212 MisterFiveSeven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:14 PM

View Postsubgenius, on 17 July 2013 - 05:05 PM, said:

Hah, whatever makes the day more interesting I guess :P

At least one of the haters has a sense of humor.

First drop after that post I killed a pristine 4X with one shot (my first shot of the match lol).

I actually felt a little bad for the guy lol

Edited by MisterFiveSeven, 17 July 2013 - 05:32 PM.

#213 subgenius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:16 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 17 July 2013 - 05:09 PM, said:

However, I am firing just as many weapons(6), delivering just as much damage(67 damage actually), but not getting penalized for it. And a Stalker with 8 weapons can Alpha for 80+ damage, again with no Penalty for the Alpha. The problem with the new system is Mind Boggling! Centurion-A Throws 40ish damage in an alpha without a +24 heat penalty firing twice as many weapons. The issue is not with the amount of damage but what is throwing it and to me that is hypocritical.

Not sure I follow you here... comparing quantity of weapons with output doesn't make sense if they aren't all of similar weight (heat sinks required as well in weight) profiles. Of course the alpha of a cent is far lower. I'd expect nothing else from a mech that is so much lighter than a stalker.

It also is worth mentioning that while the absolute damage numbers are still quite high on the assault alpha, you get some spread with the SRMs and a much stronger range requirement. Seems like a good trade off to me.

#214 Nebelfeuer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:19 PM

It is not perfect and convergens would probably have been a better way to do it but I love the variety of builds I see now in game and and much more mixed weigthclasses then before, so overall a good change. Maches are a lot more fun atm since you rarely see anyone campsniping anymore far away from his team( not to mention the half team like they previously did) There much more teamwork and support going on in PUG matches since the patch.

Generally the problem was not 6,4,3+gauss ppc or other pinpoint builds in itself the problem was that most people ran them and there was no balanced mix of weaponconfigs and therefore no support to be found in a lot of matches.
That seems to have change for the better and so I am quite satisfied.

Edited by Nebelfeuer, 17 July 2013 - 05:24 PM.

#215 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:24 PM

View Postsubgenius, on 17 July 2013 - 05:16 PM, said:

Not sure I follow you here... comparing quantity of weapons with output doesn't make sense if they aren't all of similar weight (heat sinks required as well in weight) profiles. Of course the alpha of a cent is far lower. I'd expect nothing else from a mech that is so much lighter than a stalker.

It also is worth mentioning that while the absolute damage numbers are still quite high on the assault alpha, you get some spread with the SRMs and a much stronger range requirement. Seems like a good trade off to me.

Actually why do they need to be of the same type? I deliver the same amount of damage( actually a touch more) as a 6 PPC Stalker I am firing 6 weapons at the same time, but the Stalker is punished and I am not. That is what we around here call a crock o *hit!

#216 subgenius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:29 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 17 July 2013 - 05:24 PM, said:

Actually why do they need to be of the same type? I deliver the same amount of damage( actually a touch more) as a 6 PPC Stalker I am firing 6 weapons at the same time, but the Stalker is punished and I am not. That is what we around here call a crock o *hit!

Nah, that's what we call a balancing adjustment. Your 6 weapons are dealing short-range spread damage. His 6 weapons are dealing long-range pinpoint damage. The absolute numbers don't tell anywhere near the whole story here. The stalker output in this case was causing a negative game impact, so it got the love (just like SRMS received some time ago as I'm sure you recall. While it was fun to basically one shot things with 3SRM6 launchers, it obviously wasn't quite right either).

#217 MisterFiveSeven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:33 PM

Lol one shotted a SECOND pristine raven today...

I haven't had a one shot in forever. God must be telling me I'm right :P

#218 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

View Postsubgenius, on 17 July 2013 - 05:29 PM, said:

Nah, that's what we call a balancing adjustment. Your 6 weapons are dealing short-range spread damage. His 6 weapons are dealing long-range pinpoint damage. The absolute numbers don't tell anywhere near the whole story here. The stalker output in this case was causing a negative game impact, so it got the love (just like SRMS received some time ago as I'm sure you recall. While it was fun to basically one shot things with 3SRM6 launchers, it obviously wasn't quite right either).

I will disagree, respectfully. My weapons are still dealing 60+ damage. 6 PPCs are only Gimped within 90M I have no minimum. The real issue is the one pixel hit location not the damage otherwise My D-DC would be on the Nerfing block.

#219 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

NO! I don't like it because it DOES NOT WORK.

#220 Sam Slade

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationMega city 1

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:43 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle said:

Could one of you yes voters take a moment to explain how you feel it's helping the game?

Sure. I've been in a cycle of tanking my stats to keep in the low ELO brackets for two reasons: 1. I am playing with an average FPS of 14 and an average ping over 350 and 2. I really enjoy games with a high variety of mechs and loadouts where I can take a sub-optimal mech build and not be flamed or TKed for being 'noob'.

This is the important bit:

The vast downside to lower ELO matches was Alpha Boats. They frustrate and easily destroy most new players; more so when a group of 4 is running them together. Since the patch the games in the lower ELO brackets have VASTLY improved in terms of dynamic tactical interaction and the volume of "WTF, that thing killed me in one shot" has also dropped massivly. The chat windows are getting far more genuine 'gg' and far less 'f... this'. I would call that an improvment.

Now, to the leet(macro?) skills players this heat penalty is not a big handicap... but most of these players also rage at the idea of a change to convergence, an expanded reticule or any other 'skillz nerf'... there's a good deal of 'wants to keep cake but eat it also' going on.

Edited by Sam Slade, 17 July 2013 - 07:49 PM.

56 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 56 guests, 0 anonymous users