Opinions On My Computer

41 replies to this topic

#21 Viktor Hannan

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

I didn't intend to hijack this thread, but I hope that since I have the same computer that my questions are helpful for the OP as well.
Having said that, it looks like I will be getting a discrete card after I've saved up for it. Thanks everyone for the input. It has been very helpful.

Edited by ViktorHannan, 18 July 2013 - 03:11 PM.

#22 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

View PostBigBadVlad, on 18 July 2013 - 01:13 PM, said:

Guessing someone buys this kind of computer or an A8 processor to begin with is on a budget. In which case the best bang for the buck upgrade to make an improvement will be some kind of discrete (separate) video card.

Have a look here:
http://www.tomshardw...iew,3107-2.html

Radeon 6670 -> 7750 -> 7770

The 7750 is probably the sweet spot in terms of bang for your buck between those three.
Open box for $75...
http://www.newegg.co...VirtualParent=1

Way better spend of money to improve gaming performance versus improving from an A8 APU to an A10

The 7750 is the fastest GPU he can get that doesn't require a 6 pin connector off the PSU and would be a good choice IMO.

#23 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:01 PM

but 300W is kinda risky to run a GPU

system requirements to run the HD7750 states it need at least 400W and above PSU

http://www.amd.com/u...eon-7750.aspx#3

#24 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:27 PM

View PostDragoon20005, on 18 July 2013 - 08:01 PM, said:

but 300W is kinda risky to run a GPU

system requirements to run the HD7750 states it need at least 400W and above PSU

http://www.amd.com/u...eon-7750.aspx#3

It'll probably be fine as long as the 12 volt rail can do 20Amps or so.

#25 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:38 AM

i have bad exp with OEM PSU

they are not even 80+ plus standard ones so chances of the PSU blowing up is really high

the CPU alone is drawing 65W, add those usual devices like mobo, RAM,HDD,ODD you are running close to 200W+

i would say look for a better PSU before sinking a GPU

bin bargain 430W from Corsair

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139026

Powercolor HD7770 with a mail in discount

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814131477

Edited by Dragoon20005, 19 July 2013 - 01:45 AM.

#26 Bloodshed Romance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 726 posts
  • LocationFlorence, South Carolina

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:26 AM

AMD A10-6800K can run MWO
720 Low gets around 25-30 very playable FPS.. been using the 6800K as a "main" for a few instead of the 8350 and 7970 and its still playing all my games just fine.. doesn't make them look as pretty but its still pretty great.

#27 Ohgodtherats

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 152 posts
  • LocationThe wilds of the Eastern US

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

I'm not sure if win 8 has this but if you can get into the power options control panel set it to high performance instead of balanced. See if that helps any.

#28 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:57 PM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 18 July 2013 - 12:29 PM, said:

. Alternatively faster RAM will help some as well.

some studies have shown faster RAM does nothing to affect gaming.

#29 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:32 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 22 July 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

some studies have shown faster RAM does nothing to affect gaming.

Except with APUs of course.

#30 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

or the Intel GMA HD4000 for that matter

#31 Bloodshed Romance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 726 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:57 PM

in Windows 8,
(with mouse):bottom right corner, then up to settings, then control panel, and power options...

if you have a touch screen then swipe the right side of the screen in and it shows the right windows 8 menu, then goto settings and power options.

#32 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:09 PM

So it goes to say that If you could run max ram speed, Overclock the APU, find Max GPU stable speed, you could probably be sitting on a proficient lil gaming machine.http://www.tomshardw...inity,3419.html this being the older APU series.

#33 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

so far only the A10-6800k is the only APU that support the speedy 2133Mhz RAM with the onboard memory controller

even the flagship FX8350 only support up to 1866Mhz memory and will need the mobo bios to be configured to accept faster RAM.

strange AMD is selling Radeon RAM but I have only seen it at newegg and nowhere else and its way overpriced although it claims you will get maximum performance when you use it with AMD approved components.

after Bloodshed APU build comes with Radeon 1866Mhz RAM, i feel my wallet is itching to order them even if it means shipping the product across the pacific ocean

#34 GetinmyBellah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationWest Palm Beach, USA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

New PSU definitely, and any integrated GPU no matter what the claims are is not up to par for performance relating to today's games. Especially when say MW:O includes DX11, or more importantly - tessellation, which helps take a lot more of the load off the CPU and allows the GPU to perform as "intended", if you will. However, it's been proven that compared to consoles, GPU's in a desktop only achieve roughly around 10% of what they're truly capable of. This issue relies on a proven fact and that is DirectX, regardless of version that is hindering today's GPU's performance immensely, because said technology is superseding what it available in creation (cough... DirectX).

It's time for changes, serious changes, but who can or will be able to step up to the plate and make the necessary changes? The Crysis engine in 2007 brought about a big change in utilizing SSAO which one could debate has become the industry standard for many a game engine, along with the HDAO/HBAO option(s).

I wish the future was so bright that we all needed shades yet unfortunately that does not appear to be the case in the foreseeable future. These are simply my opinion's on the matter(s).

#35 Bloodshed Romance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 726 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

View PostVegentius, on 22 July 2013 - 06:49 PM, said:

New PSU definitely, and any integrated GPU no matter what the claims are is not up to par for performance relating to today's games. Especially when say MW:O includes DX11, or more importantly - tessellation, which helps take a lot more of the load off the CPU and allows the GPU to perform as "intended", if you will. However, it's been proven that compared to consoles, GPU's in a desktop only achieve roughly around 10% of what they're truly capable of. This issue relies on a proven fact and that is DirectX, regardless of version that is hindering today's GPU's performance immensely, because said technology is superseding what it available in creation (cough... DirectX).

It's time for changes, serious changes, but who can or will be able to step up to the plate and make the necessary changes? The Crysis engine in 2007 brought about a big change in utilizing SSAO which one could debate has become the industry standard for many a game engine, along with the HDAO/HBAO option(s).

I wish the future was so bright that we all needed shades yet unfortunately that does not appear to be the case in the foreseeable future. These are simply my opinion's on the matter(s).

i'm playing todays games on the 6800K with the integrated graphics no problem?? not the prettiest but its smooth and perfectly playable.... argument invalid?

#36 ApolloKaras

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:24 PM

View PostBloodshed Romance, on 22 July 2013 - 06:57 PM, said:

i'm playing todays games on the 6800K with the integrated graphics no problem?? not the prettiest but its smooth and perfectly playable.... argument invalid?

Yeah but you arent running 1920x1080 with that even @ low settings w/ a stable 30FPS. His argument is completely valid. Run some DX 11 games with tessellation enabled and lets see some benchmarks lol.

#37 Bloodshed Romance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 726 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:28 PM

View PostSaxie, on 22 July 2013 - 11:24 PM, said:

Yeah but you arent running 1920x1080 with that even @ low settings w/ a stable 30FPS. His argument is completely valid. Run some DX 11 games with tessellation enabled and lets see some benchmarks lol.

dedicated graphics cards will ALWAYS beat integrated... isn't tomb raider DX11, i've been playing that 720 medium...
no video yet but i've been doing it.. as I said before, it may not look the prettiest but it works and plays games..
if you have the money then go for the nice card... I did and its worth it.. BUT... the 6800K can still play the same games

#38 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:34 AM

View PostSaxie, on 22 July 2013 - 11:24 PM, said:

Really you most definitely don't need Tessellation to play videogames, and benchmarks are for bragging rights(who buys APU for those rights) Does it help the GPUs that are utilizing it. yes, It does make scenes prettier and more outlined.......yes, but it is a draw on Graphics processing power, but absolutely not necessary. And to be fair we would have to compare APU IGP to Intels HD-*000series BAHAHAHAHA! that's my comparison.........if they were 25% more powerful I could see myself in the near future with APU based rig on the other end of the house running media server and Home theatre room, Oh and It would do as a backup incase my OC pops something......It Has happened before :)

#39 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:55 AM

I can smell an Intel/nVidia fan when Tessellation is mentioned

but AMD fans will rejoiced since BF4 will work best with a AMD rig i mentioned it in the 5GHz thread

#40 ThunderGodThor

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:13 AM

300 watt psu isnt even close. Like was said the oems arent usually 80+ so we can take any were form 20-40% of the power raiting off, so that psu is only capable of 240 Max and most likely worse then that at probably 200 watts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users