Flying Vehicles?

13 replies to this topic

Poll: Air Vehicles? (51 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want air vehicles

1. Yes (33 votes [64.71%])

Percentage of vote: 64.71%

2. No (18 votes [35.29%])

Percentage of vote: 35.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 The Dark Hood

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:18 PM

I was just wondering if they might include flying vehicles? I'm talking about jets and that sort of thing, not huvercraft.

#2 Werewolf

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 30 posts
  • LocationHeilbronn, Germany

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:23 PM

I've voted for no.
While I could imagine something like VTOLs flying around, there's no way you'll see a decent implementation of aerospace
fighters if the devs adhere to the current ruleset even the least possible way. Aerospace units more than frequently
lawn-dart in the the PnP game and inevitably would have to do so in MWO too. Not too much fun playing a unit that
crashes more often than it actually hits something, if you ask me.

Edited by Werewolf, 09 November 2011 - 03:24 PM.

#3 CobraFive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationAZ, USA

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:30 PM

I want to see them as NPCs. Like, calling in air strikes form off the map, or calling in close-air support choppers.

Not playable flyers though.

#4 Dragonlord

• 1,230 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:34 PM

If you read the FAQ you will seeits already been stated that they will not include them.

Q. Will there be vehicular combat alongside Mechs for the players this time?

A. At the moment we are not following up with combined arms (tanks, hovercraft, jets etc.)

Source: http://mwomercs.com/support#faq

It helps to do a little research before you post sometimes. :)

Edited by Dragonlord, 09 November 2011 - 03:38 PM.

#5 CobraFive

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationAZ, USA

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:37 PM

And then they were mentioned as being in the game:

Maybe you’re a commander type, who loves to multitask, directing fire support, air strikes, and multiple lances in a mech suitable to that role. If you play any of these roles well, and with skill, you will be rewarded.

Anyway things will be added to the game as we go, even though its not in at launch, its great to talk about what we'd like to see in the future.

Edited by cobrafive, 09 November 2011 - 03:37 PM.

#6 Jack Deth

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario, Canada

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:33 PM

I can understand them not wanting the additional complexity at game launch. No reason why we might not see them added later though, if the demand is there. I think even if they never add them as playable units it would be awesome to have NPC conventional/aerotech for strafing runs and maybe off-board artillery strikes. Would be an easy way to add a lot to the game without too much effort.

#7 Phades

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:39 PM

They should exist in the game from everything from air superiority roles involving close in ATG options to even the smaller drop ships. Taken a step further could even extend into mid fight deployment and reinforcement style actions. The are many viable possibilities within this realm and I am saddened personally at the outward shunning of even applying the concept effectively.

#8 Reoh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:20 AM

I don't think they are, but I'd like to see them added at some point. Not sure about player or not, you'd have to make the maps huge for strafing and what not but as NPC support / enemy it could add to the whole "Combined arms" feel of the battlefield.

#9 h0UNd

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 81 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:04 AM

How else am I going to DoA? xD

#10 steelwraith

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:23 AM

I agree with the npc thing for calling in airstrikes. Not worth the time and effort to code for player use though, this is a mech game after all.

#11 VYCanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:04 AM

I'd be all for VTOLs and maybe even WiGEs

would make for some spectacular crashes, and they would likely be relatively low enough that you don't really need dedicated AA to take out.

Can you imagine critting out the control surface off a WiGE while they are hauling ***? Not only would it look incredible to see them veer off, skip across the ground, begin to break, and the remnants smash into any building or unlucky mech like a shotgun blast, i would love to experience that first hand as the WiGE pilot.

Funniest moment i ever had in MWLL was when when my ASF lost a wing in a midair collision without destroying my craft, sending me into a freefall spin.

#12 K Wilson

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationFrozen Northlands

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:43 AM

The issue with getting aerofighters (or even conventional fighters, such as the infamous 'mechbuster' which is the BT-equivalent to an A-10) into the game, in player's hands, is that, based on what's been seen from Living Legends, most everyone will Instantly grab a cheapie Areofighter, such as the Fedrat Sparrowhawk, and play 'Lawn dart' with any assault-grade 'mech they can find.

Fun at first, but has the potential to be unbalancing, as you're trading 30 tons for something that weighs 80+ per lawn dart, as well as being a great big pain in the posterior to the guy that just had their 'mech's head crushed by some aerojock that couldn't miss the ground.

Also, there's the classic issue of 'Mech moves 65 kph. Aerospace, at same speed rating, moves at 650kph (if I remember correctly). Kinda makes it hard to bag the little buzzing fighter unless A: someone gets one of their own per match, B: someone spends their time in an under-sinked, underarmoured, and clunky old 'mech like the Rifleman, which is basically a shot magnet because its torso plating can barely stop a PPC, much less anything more potent, or C: there's dedicated 'no-fly' zones enforced by AA emplacements, which is no fun to the Aerojock.

Now, I'm all for (slower) VTOLs, simply because i have fond (and very evil) memories of using a Yellowjacket in tabletop play, which is about as close to trolling as you can get while still within the game rules, without actually breaking any rules. But, in regards to trusting other players with Aerospace Fighters, Conventional Fighters, VTOL, or WIGE? No. I don't mind seeing them as NPC 'targets of opportunity', epecially if there's 'instanced missions' being implemented for when you want to goof off with buddies instead of blasting one another, but, based on prior experience, having them in the hands of players would be like watching a game of darts writ large, only the poor shmuck in the BNC-3S is the board.

#13 Trooper Thorn

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 65 posts
  • LocationEvansville, Indiana

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:49 AM

ASF assets as well as BAs and Tanks are already in the MWLL mod they are playable and can be pesky however, the base Huit (4 AC2's and two AC5's) takes care of them or an arrow up the keester will make them have a bad day,

#14 mouzerius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Locationnetherlands; terra

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:57 AM

flying units fine for later on in the game but i rather want to see vehicles or even powerarmour/infantry units lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users