Assault Vs. The World Leaderboard Event!

107 replies to this topic

#41 Cev Lost

• PipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 34 posts
  • LocationDS: Command

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

View PostStraygo, on 19 July 2013 - 01:13 PM, said:

Okay, now this is getting to be rediculous...

Yeah Most of the game is

Im sorry PGI/IGP but im not sorry. You want a balanced game, then please take a look at what your doing to lights in the game.

Yes they are, but then again they are also looking at things that need looking at. Like knock down, I rammed a spider up three assault mechs metal buts yesterday with a flamer. Got informed I was cheating cause I survived for sooooo long and laughingly was troll attempted that I would be receiving a mail from PGI about it.

I don't think a light should beable to solo an assault in any day, and have trouble soloing most heavies.

No one wants to play lights because 1) they dont get enough damage to matter in tournys/pugs/ect.

Lolz average light pilot worth a salt is 3-400 damage score, unless you are using a light for.. *gasps* :lol: Scouting! :ph34r:

2) we dont get any sort of bonus for capping in conquest OR capturing the base in assault.

Very true I agree :lol:

3)look at the number of lights that drop per match in PuG's. 1 maybe 2 if your lucky. In my personal experience,(so im not speaking for all light pilots) 75% of the time im the ONLY lifght mech in the group...

This is suspect, I run my assaults I get swarmed by lights that should fall down when running into my atlas or stalkers back end. I also seem to make people in my group wanna drop in lights when they see how chaotic a well placed uav can be to a horde of assaults :D Where's the contact that's in the middle of us! FIND IT ;) KILLL IT! :) WTF where is it!? :ph34r:

This needs to change.

Be careful what you wish for.

Im asking you guys to look at whats been coming out lately. Assault/Heavy mechs in the last 4 months. We got the spider late last year early this year?

Pgi has been filling up each class in turn. usually going from Assult to light in rotation.

Highlander
Jager
Trebuchet
Spider
made each respective weight class four mechs to choose from

And look
We have
Victor
Quick draw
Blackjack
Light mech still waiting.

Patients padawan. your 5th light is coming. (flea/locust?)

That shouldnt happen. Yes, its cool that these great battlemechs are coming out and its all fun, but when you take a vast magority of players out of the game I.E. the light mechs and their pilots, you get an unbalanced "lets see what kind of stupid alpha build we can make" game.

Please PGI, do light pilots a favor and show some love. We play just as hard as the other guys, all we want is the recognition for it.

Be careful what you wish for.. for soon they will fix our hit boxes and make us fall down when we play Circle of death on an atlas.

So we can wave our flags and say we are scouts! Hear us squeak! Fear our speed and our streak! and get that few xtra cbills.

#42 FrDrake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,086 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

View PostMarchant Consadine, on 20 July 2013 - 09:23 AM, said:

ELO is a fundamental problem with this tournament. If your ELO is high it's much more difficult to get the perfect matches. Looking at the scoreboard I see you need 2000 score to be near top. That's 200 per game which means for example: win (20), survive(20), 4 kills (80), 4 assists (40) and 600 damage (40). If your own team is even remotely as competent as you are, you simply can't do that 10 times in a weekend. Top scorer overal has nearly 2300 now, which is 230 points on average. That would mean 6 kills, 2 assists and 750 damage. Not impossible, but for 10 games in one weekend against your own level players? Easy solution is to create an alt and play with noobs where you'll just own everyone (not saying this is necessarily what the leaders have done, maybe you guys just have upped your game lately a lot and the ELO hasn't kept up; still it's an ELO problem).

Suggestion for the future tournaments. Up the ELO of everyone who opts in to maximum for the duration of the tournament. This way the participants would be playing against the best (and each other) which would make this much more balanced.

I agree with you, but Kaffeangst is top Elo and still pulling those kinds of numbers. He doesn't waste his time in matches he has no hopes of achieving a top score, but if you're as serious as he is about this why would you? I was in a match with him last night and he did over 1000 damage in a loss.

There's a sweet spot for sure though where your teammates are good enough to not let you get steamrolled, but aren't good enough to poach all your kills.

#43 w0rm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

View PostFrDrake, on 20 July 2013 - 01:22 PM, said:

I agree with you, but Kaffeangst is top Elo

He certainly is.

But during this tourney I had a match where I had 6 lights + 1 assault + me in a cent dropping vs 8 assaults including Kaffee. Legged him before I got blasted to pieces ;).

Though i'm not saying he isn't one of the top players but it's easy to pull these scores IF you get lucky because the MM screws up.

#44 Sudden Reversal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 231 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:11 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 19 July 2013 - 09:18 AM, said:

Time to play something else for the weekend. Cheese will be unbearable.

I'm with you. The challenges are the only competitions worth while.

Steam Summer Sale timing - praise the digital gods!

#45 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:42 PM

View PostSudden Reversal, on 20 July 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

Steam Summer Sale timing - praise the digital gods!

#46 kaffeangst

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:55 PM

I play these tournaments the exact same way I do any 4-man or 8-man. Play it safe, and wisely. Live and you can carry your team to victory; charge into the enemy chasing kills and you're hurting your team - they may be randoms, but they still deserve a chance of winning.

My numbers for today's play (to this point): 77 Kills / 4 Deaths | 27 Wins / 6 Losses.

I'll take survival and a victory over a couple extra tournament points, any day.

#47 Rasako

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 214 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

going up against a team with over 200 tons worth of weight in their favor isn't particularly fun, I also have no idea what mechs to be playing and all my mechs are outdating SRM brawlers so I can't actually compete and I'm still in 30th place on the mediums list, what exactly should I be running to reach top numbers? cause my SRMs just aren't cutting it

Edited by Rasako, 20 July 2013 - 03:18 PM.

#48 w0rm

• Giant Helper
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

View Postkaffeangst, on 20 July 2013 - 02:55 PM, said:

My numbers for today's play (to this point): 77 Kills / 4 Deaths | 27 Wins / 6 Losses.

I take my hat off to that performance of yours.

#49 Marchant Consadine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:46 PM

View Postw0rm, on 20 July 2013 - 01:49 PM, said:

He certainly is.

But during this tourney I had a match where I had 6 lights + 1 assault + me in a cent dropping vs 8 assaults including Kaffee. Legged him before I got blasted to pieces :(.

Though i'm not saying he isn't one of the top players but it's easy to pull these scores IF you get lucky because the MM screws up.

Actually I would disagree on that particular match. Those other assaults in his team should be doing so much damage to your team that there's no way he'd get that kind of score. I would imagine it would be easier for him to get those scores if he's the single assault in your team (Killing off all the enemy assaults while all those lights harass).

But for the point. I never meant that the players who are top scorers aren't the best players. I'm certain that some or even most of them don't employ the tactic I mentioned; perhaps none, maybe those guys are just so much better than enyone else that ELO can't find anyone even close to their level to the matches. The problem is that they (and everyone else) could employ this tactic which is an easy way to essentially cheat (and it's not even against the rules as far as I can tell).

Edit: pleace don't start a flame war for what qualifies as best, who it is or whatnot. I know very well that the tourney scoring is far from perfect (very far for lights). If it bothers you, you can read it as the top scorers are the best players in the context of this tournament.

Edited by Marchant Consadine, 20 July 2013 - 09:52 PM.

#50 Villz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 627 posts
  • Locationstraya m8

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:46 PM

Yeh lets have damage not register 50% of the time and make lights un-hitable.

Thats a good idea for a tourney IMO!.

Lol these last few tournies mean LITERALLY nothing.

The last 1 was so easy i got over 2k with less than 50 games played in a brand new mech i'd never played.

ELO during tournies makes this a handicap tourney. PGI needs to add a tourney only que.
This would stop games that are going to be pointless during a tourney. Dropping into a game with 4 light lance who want to play capwarrior makes the game void. At that point alt f4ing is common find another game because its always going to be a wash.

Going from 30 match win streaks playing with DV8 and friends (lookin @ u kaffe and co).
Into games where the matchmaker pits me against the best players in que and gives me ppl who run flamers and XL engines in stalkers with LRMS etc. If you wondered what the steering wheel underhive looks like. We can tell you its not pretty. Assault lance mates doing sub 100 damage every game. Versing other lords.

Thats why any1 who his any1 knows why this is a complete joke.

Plus a reduced sample size would be more interesting. Perhaps over a day
3 days in a row
best day overall wins the board
little sub prize for placing during the days ala Spring Clean Em Up.

TY PGI but running a tourney while the core function of the game (hitting and dealing damage) is completely pointless...

Oh and why you're at it. Can we have a better prize winnings spread. 2 - 5 300mc ??? wtf.

Stagger it give us a reasons to compete amongst the places.

1st - 2000
2nd - 1500
3rd - 1000
4th - 500
5th - 250

Edited by Villz, 20 July 2013 - 11:59 PM.

#51 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:53 PM

everytime we run these tourneys the defensive blob on both sides "the huddle" gets worse. best mechs are hanging back, sniping, staying alive as long as possible, the dual ppc/gauss meta is ideal.

the tourneys are working though and hopefully giving PGI good metrics and gameplay data to review how comp play goes down even amongst pugs, important stuff for future CW game balancing and improving both gameplay and scoring.

mechs that take dmg up front while the snipers pull kills get little reward, nor the flanker who gets the enemy to turn so the line can push, or the light who caps 4 bases on conquest.

Lots of work still needed to improve this system, but hey, free MC is always fun to play for and the metrics hopefully help PGI build a better game.

Edited by Colonel Pada Vinson, 20 July 2013 - 11:53 PM.

#52 Villz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 627 posts
  • Locationstraya m8

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:56 PM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 20 July 2013 - 11:53 PM, said:

everytime we run these tourneys the defensive blob on both sides "the huddle" gets worse. best mechs are hanging back, sniping, staying alive as long as possible, the dual ppc/gauss meta is ideal.

the tourneys are working though and hopefully giving PGI good metrics and gameplay data to review how comp play goes down even amongst pugs, important stuff for future CW game balancing and improving both gameplay and scoring.

mechs that take dmg up front while the snipers pull kills get little reward, nor the flanker who gets the enemy to turn so the line can push, or the light who caps 4 bases on conquest.

Lots of work still needed to improve this system, but hey, free MC is always fun to play for and the metrics hopefully help PGI build a better game.

Honestly i think having a clue about how to play the game is probably a good idea before placing input on topics of game design.

#53 w0rm

• Giant Helper
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:41 AM

View PostVillz, on 20 July 2013 - 11:46 PM, said:

ELO during tournies makes this a handicap tourney. PGI needs to add a tourney only que.
This would stop games that are going to be pointless during a tourney. Dropping into a game with 4 light lance who want to play capwarrior makes the game void. At that point alt f4ing is common find another game because its always going to be a wash.

Going from 30 match win streaks playing with DV8 and friends (lookin @ u kaffe and co).
Into games where the matchmaker pits me against the best players in que and gives me ppl who run flamers and XL engines in stalkers with LRMS etc. If you wondered what the steering wheel underhive looks like. We can tell you its not pretty. Assault lance mates doing sub 100 damage every game. Versing other lords.

This pretty much. First ~15 Matches were onesided steamrolls for me and my Cent then the MM started trolling me with the feared Atlas with a single TAG and LRM15.

#54 Drehl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 320 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:42 AM

Yep.. pretty much this.

Once one hits the top 50 (even with terribad teams thats pretty easy doable) it becomes a gambling whether the MM screws you with a crap team or not....
on the other hand.. if it matches you with one or two of the other top players in your team... that game is also very likely to not become one of your "top ten games". just because you can't deal enought damage/kills while the other guys are playing in the same manner as you're doing.

So the best thing that can happen, is to have a mediocre team on your side while the other team ist just crap.
MM lottery at its finest.

#55 Der Hesse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 545 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:29 AM

Oh no, not again a tournament...the game sucks while there are tournaments.

#56 Rickrom

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:23 AM

Yeh lets have damage not register 50% of the time and make lights un-hitable.

Thats a good idea for a tourney IMO!.

I share the pain... I did lose count on how many games would have been perfect... The damn hit detection ruined them each time. I have several games where I did 6 or more kills with 0 assists, that's when I know that hit detection did not fail too much, but still its a game of guessing most of the time AND a huge loss of points. This is highest priority in the PGI fixing workshop. Really.

#57 Julius Septim

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 173 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:18 AM

Aslong u dont fix those Collision Lagging, Hit Detection aaaand 5 second lags overall, i give a damn **** about your challenges.
The last Patch made it all worse then before and your 12v12 Testing crap needs more ressources you better put into the normal Games.

Sry but right now i think you got no damn Clue about develop a MMO... Get down from your high Horses you are not that good as you might think -.-

PS: Americans might have not that experience with lags and ofcourse you use it in the games right?
Have Fun not having equal opponents because the Package losses provides you more then you got (I Challenge everyone of you with normal circumstances)

Edited by The Man of Steel, 21 July 2013 - 05:20 AM.

#58 Strayed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:55 AM

The biggest gripe I've had with this tournament is that in order to place in the top 10, I had to play WORSE than I normally do. How does that make sense? Problem is the way the scoring system is, it doesn't reward accurarcy and skill, it rewards damage which seems odd when the idea is you want to salvage an enemy mech rather than destroy it outright in battletech?

Other than that, it's been quite fun, but I really think scoring system needs to be properly changed if PGI wants this as an E-Sport to be taken seriously. Score=/=Skill at present, especially with Light mechs who may end up drawing a whole enemy team away, focusing heavily on the objectives that matter yet still not receive a penny for their actions which can quite often or not, require way more guts than any other pilot has in the game. They deserve a little bit of recognition those unsung heros don't you all think?

#59 Aldor

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:53 AM

Although I played MW4 years ago I am new to MWO; been playing less than a week and still using my first mech (Awesome AWS-8R with a build I found on these forums).

I just wanted to make my first post to thank PGI for this tournament, it gave me something else to aim for other than mindless CB farming to buy more mechs. I haven't had much sleep this weekend but at one point I did manage to get 5th place.

Also thanks to the players ingame both before and during this tournament, with the exception of a few nerd rages from a minority I'm extremely impressed with the nice and mature MWO community.

#60 Caaboose

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:20 AM

[color=#959595]Kills × 20 + Kill Assist × 10 + (Damage Done – Team Damage) ÷ 15 + Wins × 20 + Loss × 10 + Survive × 20 + Dead × 10[/color]
[color=#959595]For this formula does the Survive or dead mean if you yourself are alive or dead or for how many people on your team survive and how many on the other team are dead?[/color]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users