Thoughts On Current Light Hitboxes

49 replies to this topic

#1 AntiCitizenJuan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:05 PM

So it doesn't take a Rocket Surgeon to realize that something is wrong with the current Light hitboxes. Over the weekend, I noticed something in particular. Lasers and Ballistics seem pretty functional in terms of hitting Lights, but not SRMs. There were points where I would unload 3-4 SRM6s on a Spider or Jenner, and have confirmed hits (according to the reticle) but with very minimal damage, whereas when shot with Lasers the damage registered perfectly. I assume that a 36-48 damage salvo of missiles all hitting these mechs would cause some serious damage, but the damage caused seemed like the equivalent to shooting them with a Small Laser.

#2 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

My Jenner seems to mostly immune to SRMs, I've taken what were probably full 3x6 blasts but didn't do anything.
However, I have noticed that using my 2xSRM4s on other Jenners still works quite well.

#3 xCico

• WC 2018 Gold Champ
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

It will be fixed ''soon''

#4 Psikez

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:44 PM

I'm pretty sure spiders exist in a higher dimension and only occasionally, very briefly, phase into our lowly world. It is during these rare occurences it is actually possible to hit them. :ph34r:

#5 XANi

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

View PostPsikez, on 23 July 2013 - 02:44 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure spiders exist in a higher dimension and only occasionally, very briefly, phase into our lowly world. It is during these rare occurences it is actually possible to hit them. :ph34r:

They should rename it to phase spider, I've seen one running in circles around group of 5 mechs for a minute till he finally died

#6 Nauht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:33 PM

Hit registration issues. When HSR was implemented everyone agreed it worked quite well, so much so that there were light pilots posting about how they were being killed far too easily (from all the bad light pilots that relied too much on the lagshield crutch).

Hit registration issues started to be noticed about 3-4 patches back where it's gotten really noticeable last patch.

PGI know this, Paul has acknowledged the problem, they're working on it.
Once it's fixed expect the bad light pilots coming on here again to complain that they're actually getting hit.

From Paul's command chair post http://mwomercs.com/...general-update/

Many of you have cited hit detection errors. We’re seeing this as well. While it happens across almost all Mechs, it’s most noticeable with small Mech chassis. Bumping damage is going to help deal a small amount more damage to small Mechs, but the larger Mechs are going to be destroyed VERY quickly. We are investigating the root cause of these detection errors but it’s a deep problem. We need to find out if it’s in HSR (host state rewind) or is it in the simulation running on the server etc etc. Once found we will be pouring heavy resources on to the problem to fix it ASAP. However, I can tell you this, it’s going to take a while to find due to its complexity.

F'n filter try writing the contracted form of "it is .... .hit registration issues" - it'***** registration

Edited by Nauht, 23 July 2013 - 03:36 PM.

#7 PEEFsmash

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

Anddddd Lights are still tied with Mediums for worst class in the game. That should tell you something.

And BTW this is mostly a Spider problem, but Spiders are still one of the 2-3 worst chassis in the game. That should REALLY tell you something about lights.

#8 Homeless Bill

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:18 PM

I would pay MC out the *** to be able to see server-side game replays where I can compare what I thought was happening and what was going on IRL. Spiders are all kinds of ****** up.

#9 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:18 PM

I'd have to think mediums are worse off than light mechs, just because they are slower and bigger, without much more armor. They are like light mechs , if you take away the only good aspects of light mechs.

#10 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:21 PM

View PostRoland, on 23 July 2013 - 05:18 PM, said:

I'd have to think mediums are worse off than light mechs, just because they are slower and bigger, without much more armor. They are like light mechs , if you take away the only good aspects of light mechs.

Don't forget how PGI can't scale mechs properly, and thus heavies are only slightly larger than mediums, meaning you get more bang for your buck in terms of size.

Hell, the Treb is straight up taller than most heavies, and the Cataphract has the great blessing of being squat.

Edited by Orzorn, 23 July 2013 - 05:22 PM.

#11 Josef Nader

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

I would like to point out that spiders have some of the worst hardpoints in the entire game bar none, yet they are currently the only semi-effective light because of bugged hitboxes, and -even then- I almost never see a spider make a significant impact on the match. For all his flying around and circle strafing and dodging, all it takes is a single hit from your average alpha boat to completely leg him.

Other light mechs simply don't exist right now. The spider is the only one with even close to the amount of agility needed to stay alive, and it usually doesn't save him.

#12 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:02 PM

View PostPEEFsmash, on 23 July 2013 - 05:06 PM, said:

Anddddd Lights are still tied with Mediums for worst class in the game. That should tell you something.

And BTW this is mostly a Spider problem, but Spiders are still one of the 2-3 worst chassis in the game. That should REALLY tell you something about lights.

Nah, lights can at least be salvaged by good pilots.
Mediums, most of them are too big/slow to be salvaged by anything.

#13 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

Case and point. I managed to sneak up on a stationary Spider in my Victor (I know right :D) Its back was turned to me and I thought to my self "OH YES!!" So I shoot it square in the back at point blank range with an AC/20, 2x SRM6s, 1xSRM4, LL, and a ML. The Spider was engulfed in fire smoke and shrapnel, I might have just dropped a Nuclear bomb on its head, and its paper doll is flashing like mad. To my surprise the spider was still alive and hardly damaged. The Spider turns around and looks at me with my jaw on the ground for a moment like it was saying "Silly Victor, I am God." before skipping away.

Edited by Coralld, 23 July 2013 - 06:17 PM.

#14 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:29 PM

If you look at the background image on these forums, right in the middle is a spider going "WEEEEEEEE!" while some atlas tries to shoot him.

#15 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:40 PM

View PostAntiCitizenJuan, on 23 July 2013 - 02:05 PM, said:

"Current Light Hitboxes"

Are completelf "F"d ...

Just did more damage "CONFIRMED" by hit reg on sensors, visual, and crosshair lighting up, than the light mech had armor..
Counted hits, Counted damage, and teammates fire counted as well...

No argument, no debate... Been sayong this for a long time...

Fix it, no excuses...

#16 jakucha

• Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:44 PM

Only one I notice real issues with is the Spider. Got a nice SRM only kill on a Jenner going almost full speed earlier.

#17 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:54 PM

View Postjakucha, on 23 July 2013 - 06:44 PM, said:

Only one I notice real issues with is the Spider. Got a nice SRM only kill on a Jenner going almost full speed earlier.

Agreed, the Spider is really the only problem, the rest of the Light class are for the most part fine.

#18 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:18 PM

The thing that is crazy is that if you are playing a spider, you will HEAR and FEEL ppcs and gauss hitting you, but doing no damage.

I assume it's because your client is seeing those shots as hits, but on the shooter's end they missed, and the server registers the miss... and the sound is purely from my own client. But damn if it doesn't seem weird.

#19 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:51 PM

Missiles in general are having issues registering damage right now, losing quite a bit of damage on hits, which should be a high priority to fix.

And it's not like we can mount that much fire power on Spiders right now anyway. The best lights still are Jenners and the Raven 3L, the rest seem okay depending on pilot, build and so on.

And in a Spider one really has to work, especially when dealing with good pilots in other mechs, at least for me with my ping that ranges 21 to 65 on average.

#20 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:56 PM

Hit registration problems does not mean nerf the hitboxes people, god we dont need another raven massive leg hitbox thing going on but for the entire light class.

The hitboxes were never really a problem before, It is other problems that recent patches have introduced...

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users