3Xac2 Victor

22 replies to this topic

#1 OneEyed Jack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:06 PM

For the love of [insert noun appropriate to your belief structure here], man, don't do it!

That is all.

#2 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:08 PM

What about 2 2s and a UAC/5?

#3 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:17 PM

Why not? I do it on the Jager, and used to on the Centurion-AH.

#4 Finn McShae

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 475 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

Hmm, good point. I should probably rig a 2 AC/2, 2 PPC Victor. Works great on my Firebrand, can't see why it won't work great once I add SRM's for when people get in close.

#5 Devil Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

The Triple AC2 build's I've seen on Victor's are useless, they don't produce enough damage, to really threaten a target unless ignored. Every single time I see this build I'm already into their face brawling, and whilst the ac2's are great dps weapons like the UAC5, they force you to track your target leaving you highly exposed to sniper and return fire. The Centurion/Dragon have the speed to reposition to range, and the Jagermech can lay down a barrage from very reasonable terrain cover, the Victor I just laugh at!

Edited by Apostal, 24 July 2013 - 02:55 PM.

#6 DarkDevilDancer

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

Too much heat for too little damage, AC 10 or a gauss rifle just makes more sense.

#7 Urdnot Mau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 501 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:34 PM

2x AC/2 + Gauss :( 3 reasons to back the f*** up !

#8 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:42 PM

View PostUrdnot Mau, on 24 July 2013 - 05:34 PM, said:

2x AC/2 + Gauss :( 3 reasons to back the f*** up !

27tons of reasons to shoot that arm off.
Fortunately it has explosives installed!

#9 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

View PostDarkDevilDancer, on 24 July 2013 - 03:40 PM, said:

Too much heat for too little damage, AC 10 or a gauss rifle just makes more sense.

Don't forget weight. 18 tons for 3 of them makes it 3 tons heavier than a Gauss Rifle and while Triple AC/2 Dakka, Dakka is fun, I have never really found it all that effective damage wise.

#10 Hound of War

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:18 AM

Gauss and 2 Mg+Mpl, bugs the **** out of ppl :)

#11 theta123

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:45 AM

I have AC10+2xAC2 + Streaks + 2 ML

i love it

#12 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:48 AM

3 A/C2s is one of the biggest under-rated setups on here. Not normally worth it when the ballistics are spread out, but if you have 3 ballistics in one spot (like the Hunch), it is a nice setup. It deals high damage figured per match. Since it is a nickel and dime type of weapon though, you tend to do damage all over a mech vs one location. Still, it is a riot to use.

#13 Lyoncet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:30 AM

I've had hilariously excellent results with a double AC/2 double MLAS BJ-1, and good results with a triple AC/2 double MLAS DGN-5N (15 heatsinks, 5 tons ammo, 300 XL engine). Thing is, the Dragon's a lot smaller than the Victor, and faster than the Victor even with its engine maxed. You get jump jets, true, but (never having played a Victor) I'd assume you'd also have inferior handling, and worse tracking due to the lack of a lower arm actuator. I suppose the lack of the beer belly helps, but the much larger side torsos (and larger profile in general) are a weakness too.

Generally I just don't see the Victor as being the best platform for that configuration. AC/2 needs to hold its fire for prolonged periods, so it wants to have good articulation and high speed, and preferably a smaller chassis. Unless you want to run it as a sniper with some ERLLASs and don't mind cooking yourself alive.

Also, being able to relocate quickly is vital to AC/2s performing well, since you want to swap between supressive fire, focusing targets at a range, and preying on isolated enemies. While again you can drop in a 385 XL and get back and forth at an OK clip, it just seems like other chassis can do that better, and like other loadouts would work better for the playstyle the Victor lends itself to.

Edited by Lyoncet, 25 July 2013 - 06:36 AM.

#14 Elyam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 538 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:14 AM

I've tried triple-2s across several mechs, and I like the effect for suppression fire and careful sniping. But I found on the Victor that the weight of the cannons plus enough ammo (totaling 23-25 tons) takes away too much from a proper weapons-type synergy that can be had with the VTR's great hardpoints. As Lyoncet says above, triple-2s can be fantastic in a Dragon, but aren't the best expression for the Victor.

#15 TexAce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:29 AM

I had this discussion before and I won't repeat myself so here is the link to the comment:

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__2588591

I tried it out and yeah it needs alot heatsinks but when you get the hang out of it it works.
My best match with it was 5kills, 3 assists and 700 damage.

I have the 9S with 2 Ultras and the 9K with a gauss and what most don't take into the account is the nerve wrecking you do when you constantly shoot at someone with 2 ultras or triple 2s. Most are frightened by it and let go of you. And since they are on the same arm they do great pinpoint damage.

Its not my best victor build and its hard to pilot but its fun for me so I'll stick to it for a while.

For me its stupid to own all 3 victors and use the same build on all of them.

Edited by TexAss, 25 July 2013 - 07:30 AM.

#16 SlackerZ

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:32 PM

I tried 2 ac5 + 1 ac2 on victor.. Not bad if it's one on one.. Hell it will take out an atlas.. And I don't really get over-heated.. And yap.. Running on XL engine.. :)

But now running 2 uac 5 on it.. Nice in brawling.. And still can take out mechs on a 1-to-1.. :)

Victor is now my fav mech after they nerfed my 4ppc k2.. ;)

#17 NighterRO

Rookie

• Mercenary
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:22 PM

Although our team lost the match with a Catapult and an unarmed Cataphract versus an enemy Highlander, I use triple AC/2 on my VTR-9B in this match and the build made my highest damage record so far in MWO: 851 damage

Here's the build I was using:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b58d0874d289ead

Triple AC/2 can provide solid sustained damage for suppressive fire, producing 12 damage per second if all three shots hit the same spot(which is quite easy since victor has all the AC/2s on one hand). And with 14 DHS you can alpha fire triple AC/2s for about 30 rounds before the heat reach about 80%. Double SRM4 and ML can provide some additional fire power, needless to say that you'll have to time their fire to prevent shutdown. So far, My average damage done by my VTR-9B is about 400 damage each match.

Despite great one on one brawling ability(most enemy will panic and fall back since they are being constantly hit), it is better to play as a supporting role in Triple AC/2 Victor. Victor do not have thick armor like Atlas and if you expose yourself under enemy fire too long, you will surely get cored pretty soon. Using JJ constantly to spread the damage is a must.

Do not underestimate multiple dakkas. I agree that they are strong when they are being ignored. Most enemy I killed didn't even know who took them out.

#18 EyeOne

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCockpit, Stone Rhino

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:30 PM

I use a triple AC2 setup on my VIctor-9B. It works just fine. It does require a time, which can be a problem but it can dish out some serious damage. I've dealt upwards of 775-800 damage with it.

The main draw back of it is when Lights get in your face. You can still hit them and I've killed several that were circling me but it requires calmness and a steady hand.

I find the Victors very versatile and I wouldn't bash someone for using it a particular way. I have a brawler Victor with an AC20, MLs, and SRMS w/ a standard; a sniping Victor with a Gauss, a ERPPC and some LLs; and a suppression Victor with 3 AC2s, LRMs and MLs. All have been successful and fun.

#19 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:37 PM

I've just bought a Victor S, and fitted it with 2xAC/2s and a UAC/5.
Testing shall commence shortly.

It sucked.
Slow, low alpha, low concentrated damage, only effective when ignored.

Edited by One Medic Army, 26 July 2013 - 11:33 PM.

#20 Roadbuster

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:07 AM

I'm using the 9B with 3xAC2, 2xML and 2xSRM4 too. Together with a STD engine and almost full armor it's good for sniping and brawling.
Never underestimate tripple AC2 in group fire mode. They can scare off light mechs in chainfire, but in general, chainfire is inferior.
6 damage every 0.5 seconds is nothing to joke about. In the time you fire 1 Gauss for 15 damage you can dish out 48 damage with the ACs and if you have good aim or the opponent doesn't torso twist like wild, you can deal that damage in one location.

That seems to be the problem most people have. No high damage potshots or poptarting. For tripple AC2 to be effective you have to aim carefully as long as you press the trigger.
And you have to know where your weapons are located and pick firing positions accordingly.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users