242 replies to this topic

#241 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:13 AM

View PostMarmon Rzohr, on 22 August 2013 - 06:01 AM, said:

He uses strict language. Of course you could use LBX10s, LPLs etc and get away with it. It's just that it isn't optimal.

This thread (stated about a thousad times). Isn't about what can or can not work. It's about what to do when you want to make a mech designed to simply win.

Hell I've seen DPS builds win games like hell (and have done so myself in one), but that usually requires the team to support them well and no coordinated sniper/LRM fire form the opposition.

It's the same reason I wouldn't reccommend a new player to run and LRM stalker. Sure it can kick *** and PUG stomp like a boss, but it's success is more situational than a Cent-A mounting SRMs and MLs for instance (which works every time).

What is no longer valid ? PPC/Gauss is as good as ever. SRMs too. AC20s are unchanged. LRMs too. MGs are even worse in the latest patch (and they were meh before it). Pulse lasers are the same.

SSRMs are back and good now though with the damage buff, so you're right there. Although still inferior in mechs that won't go hunting lights IMHO.

I'm still not sold on SSRM because of the random element. They are definitely better than before and way more debatable, however!

The only real change is the Ultra AC/5 joined the ranks of the Gauss as a viable ballistic with the jam chance reduction, and you can get away with 2 of them now and still do tons of damage. The 3 Ultra Ilya might even show up in major games now. So that's cool!

#242 WaddeHaddeDudeda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts
  • LocationAllocation Relocation Dislocation

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:45 AM

View Postqki, on 22 August 2013 - 11:48 PM, said:

Understand already, that the list of "total garbage" in this game includes the entirety of this guide, which is nothing more than a sad attempt by OP to stroke his own ego and show the newbies that they are playing the game wrong, than to be actually helpful.

I did read through your guide (by following the link in your sig), and it's not newbie-friendly either.

Don't get me wrong - your work contains scores of good info - too much in fact. Enough to overwhelm the begginers, who tend to need a rather minimalistic summary, but that's a side note.

Sweet, looking forward to YOUR efforts to actually lend a hand to beginners within this community apart from badmouthing everything.

As for my guide: glad that you don't like it, so you can feel free to invest 250+ hours in your freetime to make something more awesome.
Within the very first paragraph I told people the purpose of this guide and I know quite a lot who where happy to have it.

But yeah, keep on downtalking everything. You got them moves!

EDIT:

View Postqki, on 23 August 2013 - 01:09 AM, said:

But as I said - this kind of approach is at the very least offputting to newbies. This thick-skinned, thick-skull attitude of "i'm a competetive gamer, play my way, or you are not doing it right".

As for reading comprehension: I think it's been stated multiple times now that people are actually free to chose their preferred gear.

If they are successful with it: great.
If not: they still have the option to take advices of "competitive" players.
Again: it's an OPTION. A free offer. Nothing more, nothing less. People can decide on their own if they want to take on it or not (and IF they decide to take on it they can still decide if they like it or not). Simple.

Don't understand all the arguing against it. It's not like people are forced to obey the advices.

Edited by WaddeHaddeDudeda, 23 August 2013 - 09:52 AM.

#243 qki

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationWarsaw

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:49 AM

people are not forced, but inedvertedly, you are giving that impression.

You can get all the best loadouts right (and you got the best loadouts right, I'll give you that), but if you show up with that smug attitute that says "play this my way", then you are ruining all your effort, and the guide ultimately is for naught.

As for your guide - don't get me wrong.

You got tons of great, precise information there, and that, partially, is the problem. It's more of a compendium of all the mechanics, than an easily digestible beginner's guide.

You were too verbose for someone completely new to the game to chew through that. I posted a much more concise guide in this section of the forum - one that contains the naked basics of "what the hell is going on around me". Once the newbie has an understanding of the mechanics, you can get into the specifics.

Edited by qki, 23 August 2013 - 10:50 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users