Next Purchase Help.

32 replies to this topic

#1 DeadSandstorm

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

So started playing this game a couple weeks ago. Liked the feel of the BlackJack even with the semi useless flamers. I made some money saw I made enough to buy a spider cool bought one. Reliazed I sucked with said spider sold it. Then bought a HBK-4H like the guns on it installed endo structure along with double heat sinks. Like it very much but the guns are optimal range are 270-400 and im using pelting targets 600+ meters out since I'm slow to maneuver.

What would be a good next mech to buy? I was a baddie with my cadet bonus cash and now I'm struggling to get ontop of things. I'm using the trail mechs while I'm getting C-Bills saved and I get the usual "why flamers" "your Com is too slow to do anything." I found the last one funny as I killed a premium atlas and a jenner that game but I digress.

What would be a good next mech to buy? I seem todo alright in my Medium even though I play it incorrectly. I would like to try a heavy but the trail heavy is boring staying at range shooting rockets and when somebody gets close you use your super soaker small lasers.

Any tips?

#2 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

Jagermech if you like the Hunchback :)

I could write a long post and include links and stuff but really that just sums it up nicely.

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:50 PM

You can, of course, change the weapons on your Hunchback 4H to longer range weapon if you are having trouble. An Ultra AC5 will give you fantastic range, or you could try a couple of large lasers.

You need to decide what speed you want to move at and what weapons you want to bring when you get there. What engine is in your Hunchback? Is that slower than your desired speed? Which type of weapons do you enjoy?

#4 DeadSandstorm

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:00 PM

I'm currently running a 205 STD engine seems like its enough. It doesn't feel sluggish to me.

I'm liking ballistic type weapons better than the lasers something about the lasers just rub me I don't know. I have never used anything really bigger than a medium laser though. The pulse laser seems fantastic, but I don't know how to use it properly.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

I might come back with advice on new mechs later. But for your current mech if you have not sold it...

For your current mech...

Try this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e20186161efa14a

It is slightly modified from the build I gave to Reslin after he chose the Hunchback 4G. His uses 2 MGs, AC/20, 3 small lasers. Later he switched to a standard 250, lowered some armor on the legs, dropped a few DHS (that come with the engine now), and 1 small laser (so he runs 2 SL, 2 MG, AC/20). This runs the same thing except extra small lasers. You can easily trade 2 for another ton of ammo if necessary.

The armor allocation on the right Hunch is very important to keep your Hunch intact. "Orange" counts as side front torsos. Notice the Hunch?
Posted Image

That said, also check out this thread for more Hunchback info.
http://mwomercs.com/...-hunchie-hunch/

Large and Medium pulse lasers have a 0.75 second beam time. So do small lasers, so you won't lose much there. What you lose in numbers and range you also lose in heat generation and weight. Smalls also are ready to shoot again much quicker. It's a good 15 damage every time your lasers shoot, which is every 2.25 or so seconds.

Whenever possible, stick to urban environments. Lots of buildings to weave through means lots of ways to escape receiving damage.

----------

Just an update on the new player Reslin. He loves his 4G, stating "I won't swap it for the world, until I get a Shadow Hawk."
He brought a friend in, who got a Centurion and loves it. Later, they bring in another one who has been addicted to spiders. I helped all 3 build their mechs and they quite enjoy them.

Happy first experiences breed more. :)

Edited by Koniving, 25 July 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#6 Kanajashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 317 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

View PostDeadSandstorm, on 25 July 2013 - 02:00 PM, said:

I'm currently running a 205 STD engine seems like its enough. It doesn't feel sluggish to me.

I'm liking ballistic type weapons better than the lasers something about the lasers just rub me I don't know. I have never used anything really bigger than a medium laser though. The pulse laser seems fantastic, but I don't know how to use it properly.

If you are enjoying the dakka of ballistic weapons and would like to get a heavy then either a Jagermech or a Cataphract should do you well, both have variants that can do some serious dakka. Also while its unqiue to the chassis, the Catapult K2 can have some good ballistic based builds done on it.

If you havent already, check out the online mech builder: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab
try out some builds before spending your hard earned c-bills.

If the 205 engine feels ok to you, I think a heavy with a 250-275 rated engine would perform about the same as your hunchback. I assume that your Hunchback 4H was equipped with the default AC10 and that you have been getting used to it and playing around its range and reload and such. If so here are a couple designs that you might want to look into:

CTF-4X: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...07d6795337e46b1
A little slower then the Hunchback however it carries dual AC10 for a pretty good punch and plenty of ammo/heat efficiency to keep you fighting. Could also change out the AC10s for another small caliber autocannon such as the AC5 or UAC5, if you do upgrade the center torso lasers to a large laser or a large pulse. For example: CTF-4X: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...80bc68a07218110

CPLT-K2: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ca43d73806697dd
The UAC5 is pretty much the best brawling weapon in the game (IMO) and equipping two of them will let you rip through all the mechs. This design uses a 300XL for additional speed and weight savings because the Catapult has extremely small side torsos. If you drive this mech you will almost always will be taken out by center torso shots. I have 175 shots of ammo because I typically stay alive long enough to fire it all off, however if you are not able to use it all, trade a ton or two for more heat sinks.

JM6-S: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...45983333b020786
This is more of a longer range fire support build, most likely a little different from what you are used to playing. However it is capable of putting damage downrange very quickly with a max of 16 DPS. Unfortunately heat can be a problem and you will have to chain fire or wait while you cool down between firing bursts. Ive tried to avoid using an XL engine on a Jagermech because the side torsos are so very large and easy to take off. But if you are willing to take that risk you can vastly increase your weapon payload and heat efficiency.

CTF-IM: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...50c5fc710b39898
Now this is a Hero mech so you would have to spend real dollars on the game, however its my personal favorite design. It handles like medium and has a sustained DPS just shy of 10 when using only the AC5s.

Edited by Kanajashi, 25 July 2013 - 03:06 PM.

#7 DeadSandstorm

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

I'm fine with grinding out the C-Bills looks like a lot of builds to try. I just changed my build a lil to include a Gauss rifle and it seems to be preforming much better. Ill have to look into the AC20.

Looks like I may have to pick up a FireBrand to grind some C-Bills.

Also are XL engines really that bad? Haven't seen many people recommend them.

#8 warner2

• 1,101 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

I agree with the posts above. Experiment with your 4H, and earn CBills while you're doing it. It's not a bad 'mech, and you can try out all sorts of weapon load-outs (AC20 with MLs, PPCs, 2LL/3ML, all sorts of combinations). The right shoulder cannon makes it vulnerable to losing weapons so protect that. My Hunchbacks use a 250 or 260 STD engine. You need speed. Every 'mech is better with more speed. Build your load-outs around a 250 or 260 STD.

An XL engine takes up 3 slots in each side torso. This means when the armour in your side torso goes your engine is in the firing line for critical hits. When that happens your engine explodes and you die. XL engines are mainly used in 'mechs that fight at long range, light 'mechs, and 'mechs that have skinny side torsos/big CTs (like the Catapult or Dragon).

Your Hunchback should probably always use a STD engine since people will shoot at your shoulder cannon so you don't want an XL engine taking hits once that has been shot off.

#9 warner2

• 1,101 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:26 PM

This is a reliable trooper I just made: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9f000e979bfabde

It's probably not optimised but is cheap enough. Those weapons will allow you to hurt anything. Turn arm lock off with this 'mech, I would say, so that you can shoot out to the side with your arm mounted LLs. Create three weapon groups, one with the 2LL, one with the 3ML, and one with all weapons for alpha firing. Use the alpha fire to land your full alpha of 33 onto the slower moving 'mechs. Use the arm mounted 2LL to track fast moving lights. This is a solid configuration that will do well if you play it right.

#10 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:29 PM

View PostDeadSandstorm, on 25 July 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

I'm fine with grinding out the C-Bills looks like a lot of builds to try. I just changed my build a lil to include a Gauss rifle and it seems to be preforming much better. Ill have to look into the AC20.

Looks like I may have to pick up a FireBrand to grind some C-Bills.

It really depends on the Mech in regards to XL. Some require it, for others it is a death sentence, for yet others player's choice.

No Firebrand... if you are going to get a Hero mech get an Ilya (Cataphract 3D based).

You might want to consider some Premium Time. Instead of a Hero mech. At the very least keep in mind that Hero mechs go on sale constantly at 30% off.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:09 PM

View PostDeadSandstorm, on 25 July 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

I like running an XL in a Hunchback, but it's not something most people would recommend as if you lose the side torso you die. Period. So you die the instant you lose your hunch.

#12 DeadSandstorm

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:52 AM

Will have to try these laser builds out.

Fooled around with the AC20 and the gauss rifle switching back and forth just don't see much in the AC20. This maybe because I'm aiming shots poorly or using it incorrectly don't know. Seems like I can easily rip off an arm or take out an engine with a gauss at any range and not do the same with the AC20 at optimal range. Not to mention the gauss rifle ammo per ton has 3 extra rounds.

I used the 250 engine and is a 17 speed gained a big factor? Seems like its helpful on big open maps but in CQC fights its useless and the extra armament I could carry for an Alpha would seem more suited for it?

Edited by DeadSandstorm, 26 July 2013 - 08:59 AM.

#13 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

Regarding speed, generally more is better, but it largely is a matter of personal taste and preference. The things to balance when creating any mech are heat, heat dissipation, firepower, ammunition, armor and speed. In any mech design you can't have it all, so the question is always, "what are you willing to give up, and is what you gain worth it?" Only you can really make that determination. I will tell you though that with the biggest engine and the speed tweak a hunchy can go almost 100kph. This speed can really help on larger maps such as tourmaline and alpine. but it is considerably less useful on smaller maps such at forest colony, or if your mech is set up as a long range sniper/lrm boat. Also it is worth noting that the faster your mech goes, the faster you can twist the torso.

#14 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

View PostscJazz, on 25 July 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

Jagermech if you like the Hunchback ;)

I could write a long post and include links and stuff but really that just sums it up nicely.

I honestly have to ask how? The two are not halfway similar.

View PostDeadSandstorm, on 25 July 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

So started playing this game a couple weeks ago. Liked the feel of the BlackJack even with the semi useless flamers. I made some money saw I made enough to buy a spider cool bought one. Reliazed I sucked with said spider sold it. Then bought a HBK-4H like the guns on it installed endo structure along with double heat sinks. Like it very much but the guns are optimal range are 270-400 and im using pelting targets 600+ meters out since I'm slow to maneuver.

What would be a good next mech to buy? I was a baddie with my cadet bonus cash and now I'm struggling to get ontop of things. I'm using the trail mechs while I'm getting C-Bills saved and I get the usual "why flamers" "your Com is too slow to do anything." I found the last one funny as I killed a premium atlas and a jenner that game but I digress.

What would be a good next mech to buy? I seem todo alright in my Medium even though I play it incorrectly. I would like to try a heavy but the trail heavy is boring staying at range shooting rockets and when somebody gets close you use your super soaker small lasers.

Any tips?

Based on your Blackjack comment, I would say you choose one type to focus on right there, you just need to mod it. Not as big as Jagermechs but they are easier to build with less sacrifice.

If you like Hunchback, I recommend reading all of this, helped me when I chose to run them though I should have chosen the 4J instead of 4P.

EDIT - added link.

Edited by Merchant, 26 July 2013 - 09:19 AM.

#15 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:28 AM

View PostMerchant, on 26 July 2013 - 09:18 AM, said:

I honestly have to ask how? The two are not halfway similar.

He said he wants to try a Heavy.

Dragons are out obviously
Quickdraws are entirely dissimilar to Hunchbacks
Catapults? LMAO!
Cataphract? Maybe but getting used to dragging your guns on the dirt is tricky.
What does that leave? Jagermechs.

Although I'm totally onboard with the use the Hunchback and earn XP plus CBills with it first plan.

#16 Senordos13

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationJacksonville

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

DeadSandstorm: I hope you don't think I'm hijacking. I just didn't want to start another thread.

I am on my third day. On the first (with Cadet bonus) I bought a BJ-1, and a JNR7-F and upgraded to Endo/DHS.

I've been playing 75% of the games with the Jenner and seem to be getting the hang of it finally. I don't mind the BJ, it's just the AC2s don't seem to do much damage unless you stick on your target a long time, and the weak armor doesn't let that happen.

I've been thinking the HBK-4SP, or the 4P (with the 2 SRM6). Or I've been thinking Centurion for more speed. I've not been able to play with any heavy brawlers as the Trials are LRM Cat and Atlas (which feels like I'm walking underwater.)

Can anyone give a little guidance for a new player who is finding the first few days brutal. and money is trickling in.

#17 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:46 AM

View PostSenordos13, on 26 July 2013 - 09:33 AM, said:

I am on my third day. On the first (with Cadet bonus) I bought a BJ-1, and a JNR7-F and upgraded to Endo/DHS.

I've been thinking the HBK-4SP, or the 4P (with the 2 SRM6). Or I've been thinking Centurion for more speed. I've not been able to play with any heavy brawlers as the Trials are LRM Cat and Atlas (which feels like I'm walking underwater.)

The first couple of weeks are going to be brutal honestly.

Some questions...
1 ) Have you spent any $$$ yet?
2 ) You have 2 JJ capable mechs... do you like JJ? Have you tried playing with them removed and/or tried the Commando vs Jenner?
3 ) Are you adverse to just starting over? ;)

more details please... although I will point out that you basically started off by buying 1 Mech that costs more than an Assault to fit out properly (Jenner) and a Blackjack which will require lots of CBills.

Tell us more about what you like.

#18 Senordos13

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationJacksonville

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

View PostscJazz, on 26 July 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

The first couple of weeks are going to be brutal honestly.

Some questions...
1 ) Have you spent any $$$ yet?
2 ) You have 2 JJ capable mechs... do you like JJ? Have you tried playing with them removed and/or tried the Commando vs Jenner?
3 ) Are you adverse to just starting over? ;)

more details please... although I will point out that you basically started off by buying 1 Mech that costs more than an Assault to fit out properly (Jenner) and a Blackjack which will require lots of CBills.

Tell us more about what you like.

I have not spent any money yet. I used my cadet bonus to buy the Jenner and Endo/Ferro/DHS and the BJ (DHS/Endo) and I realize I did pick some of the most expensive mechs to mess with.]

You saying start over to get Cadet Bonus again? I've, now off Cadet, amassed about 3m Cbills so I think I can just keep moving forward. Mistakes are good ;) and I have a good JNR and an AC2 spammer in my bays if I need.

I actually enjoyed the Trial Commando (with the SRMS) but I have not really messed with any non JJ mechs. They are a great escape tool for the Jenner, but the BJ wouldn't be able to use them for escaping, more just positioning, so I was thinking go without Jets for my next mech and teach me to work the paths on cliffs and learn the maps better.

What I want is a mech that is flexible--with a decent mid range kit-that isn't paper thin like the BJ for skirmishing.
Cent, Hunch, Dragon, are on my radar.

#19 Flak Kannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 581 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:11 AM

I say this to many new players in your situation.

If $15 isn't any large financial burden, pony up for 30 days premium time. The 30% cbill bonus adds up fast!

Your next mech should be another variant of hunchback to get towards unlocking the elite and master perks.

They are difference makers in the game if you ask me. You need to unlock all basics on three variants to get elite. Unlock elite to gain X2 on your basic skills.... That's the key...

#20 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

senordos- the 4sp is the one with the two srm 6s, the 4P is the all laser hunchy. in my opinion i'd go with the 4sp- you don;t lose 80% of all your weapons if the hunch is (and will be) destroyed on the 4sp.

sandstorm- like scjazz says jagermech if you want to go to heavies, despite all the ac40 jagers running around (dual ac20s) they can be pretty versatile. again 4sp and 4p if you want to finish off your hunchback tree to get to elite and master.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users