So ugly, even the MWO design team couldn't make it look good...

150 replies to this topic

#121 MechRaccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 312 posts
  • LocationIn a dumpster. A walking, nuclear powered, space dumpster with lasers on it.

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:45 PM

View PostMelcyna, on 18 June 2012 - 04:51 PM, said:

I don't know if he's actually serious or just trolling, but i love Fafnir design

Wasp and Stinger?
well duh they look similar to each other, their source was similar to each other too since they were supposed to be the same base model..
ie: VF-1A (basic standard model)
Posted ImagePosted Image

and VF-1S (commander model)

Posted ImagePosted Image

Yeah, I knew that already, but I still don't like how remarkably similar to each other. SERIOUSLY, Posted Image
it's almost like they're made by the same Mech building company or something. i just can't get over that! Actually, it does say that the Stinger was built to compete with the Wasp on sarna.net, but that implies it was made by a different company, so the look should be DIFFERENT! Not the same!

As for the Faf, i'm serious. It looks like it'll faceplant if it steps on a stick or something. The Faf really does look that top-heavy. I also hate how ridiculously tiny the arms are. It looks like they're made in China!

P.S, the heads actually differ slightly between the RoboTech and BattleTech mechs. For example, VF-1A head is more curved while Stinger head is more boxy

Edited by MechRaccoon, 18 June 2012 - 06:49 PM.

#122 Arctic Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 427 posts
  • LocationLuyten 68-28

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:27 PM

View PostMechRaccoon, on 18 June 2012 - 06:45 PM, said:

it's almost like they're made by the same Mech building company or something. i just can't get over that! Actually, it does say that the Stinger was built to compete with the Wasp on sarna.net, but that implies it was made by a different company, so the look should be DIFFERENT! Not the same!

This is addressed in the fluff, actually. TRO:3039 specifically mentions that when Earthwerks unveiled the Stinger, GM immediately accused it of illegaly copying the Wasp's design in nearly every way, leading to a long series of inconclusive law suits.

#123 Kasai Oni

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationCape Cod

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:29 PM

View PostHarabec Weathers, on 11 June 2012 - 12:13 PM, said:

Protomechs don't count*. They're all terrible.

* I wish I could say "Protomechs don't exist" to be honest.

Too late, FlyingDebris already did those

Posted Image

Edited by kasai oni, 18 June 2012 - 07:30 PM.

#124 Chembot

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

I'm pretty sure you wont find a topic on a Starwars or Startrek game forum where the fans are talking about changing the machines and vehicles of their respective universes because they don't look 'cool'.

So why is it OK for Battletech?

#125 Rorik Thrumsalr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:57 PM

Excluding any mech really with a sword or axe and protomechs, I really find myself thinking that the unseen in general are not in the slightest good looking, except the warhammer and the marauder. Even those two (if you look close) don't really seem to "work" with battletech/mechwarrior. They are just too...anime like. Like someone said before, I'm of the opinion that in general the less human, the better.

the worst of them all however is the original crusader.
Posted Image

#126 Melcyna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 674 posts
  • LocationYuri Paradise

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:54 PM

View PostChembot, on 18 June 2012 - 08:30 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure you wont find a topic on a Starwars or Startrek game forum where the fans are talking about changing the machines and vehicles of their respective universes because they don't look 'cool'.

So why is it OK for Battletech?

because SW and Startrek doesn't need to.

I mean let's be honest here, battletech original mech design (those that weren't based from the various anime design anyway, ie: non unseen mech) were not quite exactly... er... well, sharp, or even well designed back then.

In contrast, SW and Startrek models had to appear on the show and thus they were somewhat better designed if for nothing else, to look good in the screen.

This doesn't mean they are immune to it however..

When you go to their design, there were various designs in SW and Startrek that were NEVER shown on TV or movie... things like old Starfleet Battle board game for example had Battleship designs for Federation, etc to be used in the game that underwent redesign several times, each iteration generally improving their look as time passes and our art style becomes more focused and sharper.

Generally speaking though the ones shown in the movie and TV, have already undergone significant scrutiny by their art team because they can't easily retcon the design without complications (not to mention the model back before CGI is common, is EXPENSIVE to manufacture, it better damn well look good since constructing a single enterprise model for example back then will cost you an arm and a leg even for the studio budget).

P.S, the heads actually differ slightly between the RoboTech MACROSS and BattleTech mechs. For example, VF-1A head is more curved while Stinger head is more boxy

Sorry, every time i see the word Robotech i get this urge to find HG and pulverize them with a PPC...

the design is strictly speaking of Macross origin.

Edited by Melcyna, 18 June 2012 - 11:01 PM.

#127 MechRaccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 312 posts
  • LocationIn a dumpster. A walking, nuclear powered, space dumpster with lasers on it.

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:03 AM

View PostArctic Fox, on 18 June 2012 - 07:27 PM, said:

This is addressed in the fluff, actually. TRO:3039 specifically mentions that when Earthwerks unveiled the Stinger, GM immediately accused it of illegaly copying the Wasp's design in nearly every way, leading to a long series of inconclusive law suits.

Cool.

#128 Rhadamanthus

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:18 AM

View PostVasces Diablo, on 11 June 2012 - 10:29 AM, said:

I think we all agree that the art and mech models produced so far for MWO have been great (it's the best a Cataphract has ever looked). But there are also some ugly mechs out there.

Are there any mechs that not even MWO could make look good?

I'll start off my saying the Hoplite.

LOL how about the grand crusader, or flea

View Postrorik jorgensson, on 18 June 2012 - 08:57 PM, said:

Excluding any mech really with a sword or axe and protomechs, I really find myself thinking that the unseen in general are not in the slightest good looking, except the warhammer and the marauder. Even those two (if you look close) don't really seem to "work" with battletech/mechwarrior. They are just too...anime like. Like someone said before, I'm of the opinion that in general the less human, the better.

the worst of them all however is the original crusader.
Posted Image

the rifleman, archer, locust, battlemaster, scorpion, shadowhawk, and griffin just to name a few of the decent looking ones.

#129 cipher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationState College, PA

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:19 AM

View Postrorik jorgensson, on 18 June 2012 - 08:57 PM, said:

Excluding any mech really with a sword or axe and protomechs, I really find myself thinking that the unseen in general are not in the slightest good looking, except the warhammer and the marauder. Even those two (if you look close) don't really seem to "work" with battletech/mechwarrior.

Each to his own. I personally love the "unseen" mechs. But if you think they don't really "work" with Battletech/Mechwarrior, you're sorely mistaken. The very roots of Battletech is the "unseen" mechs and other artwork they ripped from Robotech. And those mechs are the farthest removed from Japanese Anime as Anime could get.

Sorry, completely and utterly disagree with you. You can keep your fugly 3058 and 3060 tech readout artwork and I'll keep my 3025 stuff. :blink:

#130 Rhadamanthus

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:22 AM

Yeah, I knew that already, but I still don't like how remarkably similar to each other. SERIOUSLY, Posted Image

As for the Faf, i'm serious. It looks like it'll faceplant if it steps on a stick or something. The Faf really does look that top-heavy. I also hate how ridiculously tiny the arms are. It looks like they're made in China!

P.S, the heads actually differ slightly between the RoboTech and BattleTech mechs. For example, VF-1A head is more curved while Stinger head is more boxy

lol you forgot the pheonix hawk and crusader. they also are veritechs

#131 MechRaccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 312 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:24 AM

I knew the Phoenix hawk was a veritech, (I didn't put it in'cuz it looked different) but the crusader!? Is it supposed to be one of those veritechs with heavy armor and stuff?

#132 Melcyna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 674 posts
  • LocationYuri Paradise

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:34 AM

Valkyrie, the term veritech only used in HG Robotech dub, the original Macross doesn't use the term

and yes it was based on the armored valkyrie
Posted Image
to be more precise, crusader was based on the armored VF-1A
the one in this picture is armored VF-1J

Edited by Melcyna, 19 June 2012 - 05:39 AM.

#133 macmerritt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 147 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:35 AM

View PostMechRaccoon, on 19 June 2012 - 05:24 AM, said:

I knew the Phoenix hawk was a veritech, (I didn't put it in'cuz it looked different) but the crusader!? Is it supposed to be one of those veritechs with heavy armor and stuff?

Yep, it was the Armored Veritech.

Wasp = VF-1S
Stinger = VF-1A
Valkyrie = VF-1S
Phoenix Hawk = Super Veritech
Crusader = Armored Veritech

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Unseen

#134 macmerritt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 147 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:39 AM

View PostMelcyna, on 19 June 2012 - 05:34 AM, said:

Valkyries, the term veritech only used in HG Robotech dub, the original Macross doesn't use the term

Tomatoe, toemato bro.

Alot of us old enough to remember grew up watching Robotech as it was put on American television, not Macross. Macross is for the "elitest" anime fans. Sorry if you can't take both terms in stride. To me they are one in the same, much like honor and honour. Armor or Armour. Same mecha slightly different spellings. Veritch is Valkyrie, Valkyries are Veritechs.

Edited by MacMerritt, 19 June 2012 - 05:40 AM.

#135 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:43 AM

Two things: You people underestimate FlyingDebris ability to make 'mechs look good. Second, you think small. So many good looking mechs that just aren't your personal taste in this thread I don't know what to say.. I've seen so many awesome 'mechs called terrible my mind is blown.

I had to go deep to find something unsalvageable (without including Protomechs or Dark Age stuff - primary CBT only!):
Posted Image

OK Flying Debris. Let's see what you could do with a giant mechanical horse curtsey of Clan Hell's Horses:

Balius

Thank God Jade Falcon went with stuff like the Vulture and didn't make it into a giant robot bird on legs.

EDIT: Now if this was a worst looking art in BattleTech I'd be going balls out with BA and Protomech posts. Some of them are horrendously terrible.

Edited by Victor Morson, 19 June 2012 - 05:47 AM.

#136 Melcyna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 674 posts
  • LocationYuri Paradise

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:01 AM

View PostMacMerritt, on 19 June 2012 - 05:39 AM, said:

Tomatoe, toemato bro.

Alot of us old enough to remember grew up watching Robotech as it was put on American television, not Macross. Macross is for the "elitest" anime fans. Sorry if you can't take both terms in stride. To me they are one in the same, much like honor and honour. Armor or Armour. Same mecha slightly different spellings. Veritch is Valkyrie, Valkyries are Veritechs.

My statement wasn't meant as a snide btw, and i watched it as well back when i was a kid then (even though it made no sense frankly at the time), and i only seen the original Macross more than a decade afterwards.

The reason i prefer the term Valkyrie in this case though is because HG use the term veritech to a whole slew of the mecha in Robotech including the ones from Mospeada (that were one of the 3 anime that comprises the components of Robotech but otherwise had absolutely no relation to Macross, hence why it's design seemed at odds).

The one we will always refer though is always the VF-1 model (since that's the only one that showed up in Robotech) and that happened to have a full name of:
VF-1 Valkyrie, and no other model share the name.

Edited by Melcyna, 19 June 2012 - 06:03 AM.

#137 Firelizard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 607 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:14 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 19 June 2012 - 05:43 AM, said:

Two things: You people underestimate FlyingDebris ability to make 'mechs look good. Second, you think small. So many good looking mechs that just aren't your personal taste in this thread I don't know what to say.. I've seen so many awesome 'mechs called terrible my mind is blown. I had to go deep to find something unsalvageable (without including Protomechs or Dark Age stuff - primary CBT only!): <<IMAGE SNIPPED>> OK Flying Debris. Let's see what you could do with a giant mechanical horse curtsey of Clan Hell's Horses: Balius Thank God Jade Falcon went with stuff like the Vulture and didn't make it into a giant robot bird on legs. EDIT: Now if this was a worst looking art in BattleTech I'd be going balls out with BA and Protomech posts. Some of them are horrendously terrible.

Congrats. You found a mech that I actively want to un-see.

Now, be a pal and pass the bleach. I need a drink.

#138 Blastcaps

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 192 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:20 AM

View PostArctic Fox, on 11 June 2012 - 11:03 AM, said:

Dasher, yuck.

think you mean Fire Moth

#139 RangerRob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationEarthworks Inc., Cataphract Plant, Tikonov

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:20 AM

They made the Cataphract look good....I have faith they can do the same with any mech.

Posted Image

#140 Blastcaps

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 192 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:29 AM

View PostDrnkJawa, on 11 June 2012 - 01:39 PM, said:

MadCat, so ugly it deserves a place in britannica under ugly

Timer Wolf you mean and there's nothing wrong with the way it looks, originaly cannon wise the reason the IS gave it the designation MadCat is because the mechs onboard computer warbook of mech designs couldn't determing which it was, maruader or catapult (if you look at both you'll see why :blink:

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users