Let Us Side-Step/strafe.

257 replies to this topic

Poll: Side stepping / strafing (464 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think mechs should be able to strafe?

1. Yes! Awesome! (76 votes [16.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.38%

2. Voted No! I hate your idea! (358 votes [77.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 77.16%

3. Other - discuss with a reply! (30 votes [6.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.47%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#141 Typhoon Storm 2142

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 302 posts
  • LocationHamburg

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:17 AM

View Posttucsonspeed6, on 22 August 2013 - 03:11 PM, said:

No. I think the control scheme would get too confusing.

So, because it's too much for your brain, it's useless? DERPDERP. Don't use it, if you can't handle it, is the solution. But yeah, you say it's confusing, so it should never be implemented. You must be one of those people who uses not more than 2 different kinds of weapon on your 'Mech because it's too complicated with 3 or more. Imagine all the grouping you had to do!

#142 Clit Beastwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:53 AM

View PostTheBossHammer, on 22 August 2013 - 10:07 PM, said:

Sorry bud, half the point of mechwarrior is that your mech can't hop to the side. It prevents shenanigans like the "flutterstep" from Mechassault 2, which allowed players to dodge like 90% of incoming fire if they were good.

Not looking to hop. At all.
Do me a favor. Look down. Move your right foot six inches to the right and put it back down. Now, move your left foot six inches to the right and put it back down. That's what the original post was all about.

View PostTyphoon Storm 2142, on 23 August 2013 - 01:17 AM, said:

So, because it's too much for your brain, it's useless? DERPDERP. Don't use it, if you can't handle it, is the solution. But yeah, you say it's confusing, so it should never be implemented. You must be one of those people who uses not more than 2 different kinds of weapon on your 'Mech because it's too complicated with 3 or more. Imagine all the grouping you had to do!

Be nice! I know a lot of players have issues with more than 2 weapons groups - it could be a control that they don't *have* to use. Like I said previously though, since 3pv, like it or not, is here now, you don't need to be able to quickly peek around things, you can just hit f4 and see around corners without exposing yourself. I suppose it's a moot point at this time.

#143 Bendak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 213 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:00 AM

View PostTyphoon Storm 2142, on 29 July 2013 - 02:55 AM, said:

So, running forward and twisting the torso is called "strafing"?

You don't know what you're talking about. Better stop posting forever, smart boy.

Typhoon, they are pretty much saying that the feature is unnecessary, to which I have to agree. No matter how many references to sidestepping you can find in literature it makes no real difference. You could at least make the effort to quote and reference said literature rather than us taking your word for it. Finally you might also find it beneficial to look over your past posts as you seem quite aggressive and arrogant but that may just be the language barrier. Pop a chill pill my good man :)

#144 Typhoon Storm 2142

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 302 posts
  • LocationHamburg

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:13 AM

Indeed, earlier MW titles didn't have it, sidestepping wasn't needed. I alsop agree that it probably takes too much effort to implement that mechanic into the game - the time could be used to fix more critical stuff. But it would be nice to be able to make a sidestep by double pressing A and D.

You're right, I should have quoted some books. Let me see if I find something. Have to get the novels in english first, though.

I also agree that I'm aggressive and arrogant. And you're right about english not being my primary language...that's caused me trouble several times already. From that quote, I really meant to say: I better stop posting forever..

#145 Alix Stone

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:22 AM

Ummm. You already can strafe. You can turn your legs and walk with your torso turned.

#146 Typhoon Storm 2142

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 302 posts
  • LocationHamburg

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:26 AM

View PostAlix Stone, on 23 August 2013 - 08:22 AM, said:

Ummm. You already can strafe. You can turn your legs and walk with your torso turned.

Dude, read this:

http://en.wikipedia....ng_%28gaming%29

and then think about what you just posted.

#147 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:27 AM

View PostTyphoon Storm 2142, on 23 August 2013 - 08:26 AM, said:

Dude, read this:

http://en.wikipedia....ng_%28gaming%29

and then think about what you just posted.

You're asking people to read things - a tall order!

#148 LoveLost85

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 138 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:33 AM

no to this, no to 3pv, no to 'mech mortars', no to crouching, no to melee, no to killstreaks, no to diving, no powerups, no to regen armor, no to urban mech. ok maybe not no to urbie....

#149 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:36 AM

No crouching or melee? are you the antifun or what?
melee is why the hatchetman has a hatchet, the wang has a claw, etc. - read a few BT books. killstreaks, powerups, regen, all arcade-mode. Those are off the table (so, we'll probably see them soon, of course)

#150 Azakael

• PipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

I said other. Bipedals, nah. I can torso-twist and step, no need to strafe (which would feel like a crutch in this style game.) *Quads* I'd say can strafe. After all in the TT game they get lateral movement. (But PGI has no intentions of putting Quads in, so... meh.)

#151 Typhoon Storm 2142

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 302 posts
  • LocationHamburg

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:35 AM

For anyone who still believes 'Mechs are unable to make sidesteps, I found several Battletech books where such moves are utilized (and even crazier ones). BT novels are often stretching classic BT rules, so it doesn't really matter if sidestepping or any other irregular movement mechanics are implemented into MWO or not. In my humble opinion, it's just additional fun to have additional moves.

The Sword and the Dagger, by Ardath Mayhar

At another sudden spurt of laser light, he wheeled, sidestepping the blast Firing his own upper laser, he took out the enemy weapon. There was only one way he could think of to pass this last stretch, and that was to take it in one leap. Accurately. Without faltering. Should his own sense of balance be disturbed, he would also lose his ability to stabilize the huge machine.

All the while, he was drawing a deep breath, as if his own puny human lungs could assist the eighty-ton monster he manipulated. Then he launched himself into the air again, forcing the „Mech's immensity toward the light at the end of the corridor.
When he came down, it was nine meters too soon, still within the deadly walls of the Gauntlet. The vibrations set his teeth on edge, made his heart hammer even harder, but he willed himself steady. Gritting his teeth, Ardan rolled the Victor's body to its feet.

Decision at Thunder Rift (Saga of the Gray Death Legion #1), by William H. Keith, Jr.

Hit! Flakes of metal glittered in the midmorning sun as they scattered on the sand, and there was a trace of oily smoke near the Stinger's waist. The Stinger sidestepped, moving rapidly to make itself a more difficult target. Grayson spun, swinging his laser up to bear on the back of the enemy Wasp.

The Stinger was slow turning to meet him, its leg dragging as it spun. The two 'Mechs collided in an earsplitting crash, and the Stinger sprawled backward onto the sand.
Grayson followed it with laser fire, but the 'Mech rolled across its shoulder as the laser pulse traced a line of molten glass in the sand.

Lying prone, Enzelman was firing his Wasp's laser as quickly as he could. Though he could not bring the SRM launchers in the 'Mech's leg to bear because of his position, he had the laser propped like an out-sized rifle across a boulder, and was squeezing off shots with telling accuracy.

Coupé (The Warrior Trilogy #3), by Michael A. Stackpole.

The UrbanMech that the Ostsol had all but destroyed had no mobility, but its gun still worked and the Cataphract had obligingly impaled itself on the pilot's sights. The autocannon shells stripped all the armor from the Cataphract's rear. The tremor-filled sidestep in the Liao 'Mech's advance suggested to Andrew that one of the large 'Mech's gyros had been blown to bits in the attack.

Lethal Heritage (Blood of Kerensky Trilogy #1), by Michael A. Stackpole

The Thor marched forward like a butcher at a slaughterhouse. It raised the PPC that made up its right forearm for a blow that would crush the Hatchetman, but Kai sidestepped the attack. He brought the hatchet up into the Thor's right armpit.

Call of Duty, by Blaine Lee Pardoe

Tasha glanced over and saw that the lasers had done some serious damage to the Black Knight's right leg. Its armor was already damaged from yesterday's clash with the Avengers, and the hurried field repairs had not been enough to repair all of the holes.
"You okay over there, Mistreli?" she asked, sidestepping slightly in an attempt to draw off some of the fire.

Edited by Typhoon Storm 2142, 26 August 2013 - 03:14 AM.

#152 Bendak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:22 AM

View PostTyphoon Storm 2142, on 26 August 2013 - 01:35 AM, said:

For anyone who still believes 'Mechs are unable to make sidesteps, I found several Battletech books where such moves are utilized (and even crazier ones). BT novels are often stretching classic BT rules, so it doesn't really matter if sidestepping or any other irregular movement mechanics are implemented into MWO or not. In my humble opinion, it's just additional fun to have additional moves.

They certainly do it enough! Can't help thinking this would be module ability as novice pilots might not be skilful enough. If this came into game then they would have to do a lean/dodge that would add some interesting fights as people lean around corners to snipe. Hmmm I think they need to fix map clipping on obstacles first!

#153 Matta

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 169 posts
  • LocationCroatia, Europe

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

One thing is a sidestep(s) and the other thing is strafing.

If you want for a Mech to make few slow sidesteps just like in the books you quoted (although I fail to see the use of it in a game) I can go with that.

But if you want strafing ala CoD/Battlefield/Quake etc. then, erm....., NO. Just NO. ;)

Edited by Matta, 26 August 2013 - 11:38 AM.

#154 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:28 PM

View PostMatta, on 26 August 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

One thing is a sidestep(s) and the other thing is strafing.

If you want for a Mech to make few slow sidesteps just like in the books you quoted (although I fail to see the use of it in a game) I can go with that.

But if you want strafing ala CoD/Battlefield/Quake etc. then, erm....., NO. Just NO. :)

I want it more for when you can see the distant azure flash of an inbound PPC, you can tap a key to take one step to the side. Like I said though, now that 3pv gives you precognative abilities its less relevant.

#155 Thuneral

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:50 PM

I remember reading a book that had really cool bird creatures in it. While we are talking about adding things from books lets add that too.

#156 Bendak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:54 AM

View PostThuneral, on 27 August 2013 - 06:50 PM, said:

I remember reading a book that had really cool bird creatures in it. While we are talking about adding things from books lets add that too.

Quotes from these Battletech books? Oh wait you're trolling. My bad! :angry:

#157 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:57 AM

View PostBendak, on 28 August 2013 - 02:54 AM, said:

Quotes from these Battletech books? Oh wait you're trolling. My bad! :P

Thuneral is referring to a BattleTech novel called Far Country (available as a free e-book here), where a DCMS JumpShip misjumps and is stranded in a sector of space away from the IS inhabited by a relatively-primitive, bird-like species called the Tetatae.

#158 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:30 AM

I knew I'd read it but I couldn't recall which book it was lol

#159 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

did you ever took at the mechs? They don't have the joints in the hips to suppot side-stepping. It's just not possible.
Rotate your torso, that's what it is for.

#160 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:57 PM

They don't have ankles either, but they seem to walk on slopes just fine.
In fact, back on page 3 or 4 this topic is addressed. Basically, the mechs as drawn in their tech schematics don't even utilize myomer bundles, though the tech schematics for some mechs *do* feature axial joints, which would allow for the movement required to step sideways. Thanks for your contribution to the thread. The tech schematics on page 3 or 4 are pretty awesome - if you check them out, I think they're print-able and might make cool wall art :)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users