Lrms Too Strong

117 replies to this topic

Poll: Nerf LRMs? (292 member(s) have cast votes)

Let's ask the devs to Nerf the LRMs.

1. Yes (26 votes [8.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.93%

2. Voted No (265 votes [91.07%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 91.07%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 EvilCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:18 PM

LRMs are OK in my opinion, the weapon itself should be powerful, however AMS should be a stronger counter.

I would also consider removing indirect targeting unless TAG and/or NARC are used.

#62 Scrawny Cowboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 574 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:21 PM

If I had a choice of which I was fighting against, I'd choose a LRM boat over a PPC boat any day.

Edited by B3RZ3RK3R, 28 July 2013 - 11:21 PM.

#63 LTGear

• PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:42 AM

Douchers about my using ac 20's were successful in giving it more heat penalty. I hope you guys are happy now and so with the lrm boat squads but to me you're still nothing but lady pilots. go back to your mothers womb :)

#64 DeaconW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 976 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:11 AM

View PostLTGear, on 29 July 2013 - 12:42 AM, said:

to me you're still nothing but lady pilots.

You got a problem with lady pilots?

Like Rhonda Snord, or Candace Allard-Liao, or Katrina, Nondi or Melissa Steiner?

View PostShadowdusk, on 27 July 2013 - 01:22 AM, said:

<massive whining >

And again, I must post this:

Posted Image

#65 LordDante

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 782 posts
  • Locationmy Wang is aiming at ur rear... torso

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:19 AM

View PostShadowdusk, on 27 July 2013 - 07:55 AM, said:

Thats not true. Its impossible to fight when there's nothing but LRMs flying at you. And stop saying "ECM ECM ECM" ECM is very rare. If PGI really cared about Mech balance they'd add ECM or better AMS. Right now the entire game play revolves around LRMs. They need to be better balanced.

says the guy playing since may .... they are fine! now go and find some cover !

#66 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:22 AM

View PostShadowdusk, on 27 July 2013 - 01:22 AM, said:

Please nerf the LRMS. Since the patch where they got buffed they are too strong and are being abused way too much by players. The biggest problem is not the damage but how they arch and track. LRMs also don't automatically explode once they reached their maximum distance. Their spread is too tight. And yes even their damage is a bit high. I am getting so tired of people running LRM Boat squads and then sit back and kill everyone while being defended. To me it feels like cheating, the fact they don't even have to engage. Too many games are won like this. It is not fair. I am asking for LRMs to be nerfed. Please. Nerf them. At lease spread out the damage, don't have them tighten too much. And please remove this tracking nonsense where the LRMS can target and seek you even when noone has any line of sight, tag, or narc on you.

SRMs is another problem. Too many people are using SRM spam builds. And one shotting just about everyone. I am asking for SRMs to have a higher heat build up or a longer cooldown. Make it so people will think twice before getting 6 to 8 SRMs on a mech and go around one shotting people. You did it with the AC/20s, to make it harder for people to spam them. Why can't you do it with SRMs?

I read the patch notes and I will tell you this from experience, it's not enough. LRMS are too over powered. And guess what, not every mech have ECM.

Well using large font isn't going to get you anywhere any sooner than using a sensible size, just makes you look silly and attention seaking.

lrms are fine as is , the team and the players skill are what causes them to SEEM (see I can use big font to) powerfull.

standing around behind a rock totally unware of your surroundings and not even looking for the spider thats lighting you up for the LRM bomb is what causes them to wipe teams..

This cry is usually the call of the poptart player and sniper which has less skill involved than combining an lrm boat and a scout to make them affective.

I do loath lrms but not for the reasons you are calling them on, in my case its the person that removes all weapons and boats so that once the missiles are gone (and usually missing most targets) that person is a total waste of space on the team, so again its not the weapon, at fault but the person using them.

When the buff came in I had my concerns, but hell deal with it like i did, become aware of your position and situation look where the cover is and duck for crying out loud

#67 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:24 AM

Biased poll (a public one at that)

LRMs are currently broken- literally.
Artemis isn't supposed to have the sexy accuracy without Line of Sight.
Non LoS is supposed to be made up for by high angle.

Currently, due to known issue, non LoS gets both the bonus angle of attack, and the Artemis bonus accuracy.

Once that is fixed, LRMs will be fine. So no, LRMs are not overpowered, just currently broken.

#68 Lord of All

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 581 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationBottom Of a Bottle

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:28 AM

View PostYueFei, on 28 July 2013 - 11:01 PM, said:

Yeah. Sometimes I will suicidally pop out to shoot at an Atlas with my Awesome-8R's 4 ALRM15 racks with TAG. From about 300 meters. It helps that I can be running away from the Atlas while still firing LRMs at him thanks to the Awesome-8R's arm yaw angle. Usually after 3 salvos the Atlas is dead or almost dead, with all damage focused onto his CT.

On the other hand, if I'm doing indirect-fire LRMs, I could probably empty half of my LRM ammo, dump 500 missiles into him, and he still won't be dead.

Lucky it wasn't my atlas coming at you from 300m. ;)

View PostJohn MatriX82, on 28 July 2013 - 11:15 PM, said:

Actually LRMs are always CT-loving, that makes them a little too much effective; I hope they'll fix splash bugs soon for bot SRMs and LRMs then we'll see.

As usual, what breaks the system is the huge boating, even with heat penalties, lrm 70-80-90 are beyond any common sense, there should be an hardpoint restriction system (like the one I suggest in my sig) that would help address balance issues with this weapon system once and for all.

ARM shields Work great, Try them your CT will love you for it. :)

#69 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:32 AM

Ohh and to quote Oddball

"Don't hit me with all those negative waves this early in the morning"

And to continue in the kelly's heroes theme..

dialing back the damage, will cause cries of...

"Thats PAINT you idiots"

Edited by Cathy, 29 July 2013 - 04:32 AM.

#70 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:48 AM

View PostLivewyr, on 29 July 2013 - 04:24 AM, said:

Biased poll (a public one at that)

LRMs are currently broken- literally.
Artemis isn't supposed to have the sexy accuracy without Line of Sight.
Non LoS is supposed to be made up for by high angle.

Currently, due to known issue, non LoS gets both the bonus angle of attack, and the Artemis bonus accuracy.

Once that is fixed, LRMs will be fine. So no, LRMs are not overpowered, just currently broken.

I thought that was fixed afew days after LRM armagendon 2 I seem to remember a further post from Bryan stating that while it might seem this way the feed back showed that it wasn't excessive that most mechs falling this way were either stationary and, or under fire from a artemis equiped mech using tag, and that there was a disaparity between what it seemed like, and what the diametrics of the game were showing, and also torso parts are alot bigger than arms and legs.

And if it rains on tuesdays, which seems to hint if you live in a rain forrest don't play MWO :)

In closing I can't remember the last time I was bombed out by LRMs

#71 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,705 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:49 AM

View PostEvilCow, on 28 July 2013 - 11:18 PM, said:

however AMS should be a stronger counter.
Dear god no. The LRM5 and LRM10 are completely useless as it is vs 1 AMS. The problem imo is that you have to boat LRMs to be effective making them seem overpowered. The truth about LRMs in MWO is when you get that kind of cluster fire focused onto one target, your typical interwebs PUG personality will feel they are "being picked on" then come here to tell mommy about it.

Edited by lockwoodx, 29 July 2013 - 04:52 AM.

#72 Kaldor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:51 AM

Fix bad mechanics
Increase damage

I would actually prefer the mechanics to be fixed, too high flight angle which lets them defeat cover too easily, 80%+ of the missiles hitting CT, and then their damage increased. Right now you really have to boat LRMs for them to be even remotely effective.

Edit: I very seldom run LRMs before any bads accuse me of being self serving....

Edited by Kaldor, 29 July 2013 - 04:52 AM.

#73 Lord of All

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 581 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationBottom Of a Bottle

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:52 AM

View Postlockwoodx, on 29 July 2013 - 04:49 AM, said:

Dear god no. The LRM5 and LRM10 are completely useless as it is vs 1 AMS. The problem imo is that you have to boat LRMs to be effective.

Yes AWS is powerful enough, If I mounted it I wouldn't even have to use arm shields.

#74 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:19 AM

View PostYueFei, on 28 July 2013 - 11:01 PM, said:

Yeah. Sometimes I will suicidally pop out to shoot at an Atlas with my Awesome-8R's 4 ALRM15 racks with TAG. From about 300 meters. It helps that I can be running away from the Atlas while still firing LRMs at him thanks to the Awesome-8R's arm yaw angle. Usually after 3 salvos the Atlas is dead or almost dead, with all damage focused onto his CT.

On the other hand, if I'm doing indirect-fire LRMs, I could probably empty half of my LRM ammo, dump 500 missiles into him, and he still won't be dead.

This is what I'm seeing when I'm using LRM's. If you have LOS and the mech isn' moving perpendicularly, you can do a lot of damage.

Every other time it's not worth firing unless you are doing it for surpression or to try and steal a kill.

#75 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:44 AM

Well, as for people saying that LRMs are too strong, OP or way too good. I run a LRM30 "boat" Hunchback for competitive play and non LRM mechs for PUG gaming, so I can see from both sides of the discussion.

If played well, then LRMs are good (but not nearly the automatic win button some are claiming them to be). The problem is that most LRM mechs in MWO tend to be the big fat slow Assault ones who place themselves in the center of the map and spam at anything too dumb to use cover.

Finding cover or loosing LRM lock is actually really, really easy in MWO. You have so much to choose from, Ridges, buildings Opponents, Teammates (if you feel like a scumbag steve troll :) ), killing/chasing away the spotter, destroying the UAV above you, etc...

If you think that playing LRMs is too easy... why not do it yourself? There is a trial Atlas with an LRM 15 launcher which you can use for the experiment. Try playing a whole round by using only the LRMs as your primary weapons and all the other weapons only when the opponents come to you or you have line of sight at 200-400 meters (and try to keep that distance).
You will quickly find that the LRMs need a lot more tactical skills and placement than you think to be a viable weapon.

#76 Middcore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 258 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:21 AM

LRMs only seem too strong sometimes because if a salvo gets a solid hit, for whatever reason they still deal the greatest part of their damage to the CT. Getting caught without cover by an LRM bombardment should be a punishing experience, don't get me wrong, but right now if you get exposed the LRM salvos just hollow you out and you die to CT destruction with the rest of your 'mech at no more than yellow armor, which is bizarre and tiresome.

BUT! If that bug is finally exterminated - though I'm not holding my breath - then LRMs would be fine. There's so many things that can ruin LRM shots that they end up much too inconsistent to be considered OP. Try piloting a dedicated missile boat sometime, in a PUG without coordinated teammates spotting/TAGging/bombarding with you, and you'll see what a frustrating , up-and-down experience it is. You can have a match where you rain steel and fire and walk away with 700 damage and several kills, immediately followed by a match where you expend three or four tons of missiles and barely break triple digit damage, or get abandoned by your team and mugged by lights to die in the first two minutes of the match. When you LRM boat, you are at the mercy of a long list of factors out of your control.

So...I don't think LRMs need a nerf per se - but the CT-seeking bug has to be resolved once and for all. It is almost impossible to make intelligent judgments about how well LRMs are balanced until it is finally fixed, really.

Edited by Gaslight, 29 July 2013 - 07:30 AM.

#77 Takony

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 265 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:28 AM

There is this wonderful thing called "cover".
Counters LRM and obsoletes AMS so you can equip actual weapons!

ed spelling duh

Edited by Takony, 30 July 2013 - 12:53 AM.

#78 Gunivar

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

Easy Fix-
Make it so the LRM Missiles don't go as high before they start descending down.
The real issue is that while having fair damage right now, its too difficult on many maps to take cover from them unless you have either a huge mountain right next to you or some unusual terrain formation that happens to be useful in blocking them.

#79 Ransack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

LRM's need to be fixed. not nerfed. They are CT'ing too often and the flight path is funky as hell

#80 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:06 AM

Weird, I think Lrms are perfect right now.

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users